Interstate Highways in World Series history

Bruce Kanin

Oct 13, 2003, 10:25:01 PM10/13/03
Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
Series.

I-95 World Series
-----------------
NY Mets vs. Baltimore Orioles (1969)
Philadelphia Phillies vs. Baltimore Orioles (1983)
NY Mets vs. Boston Red Sox (1986)

I-80 World Series
-----------------
NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)

I-70 World Series
-----------------
Kansas City Royals vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1985)

And what about 2003?
--------------------
NY Yankees vs. Chicago Cubs could be another I-80 Series
Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago Cubs would be the first I-90 Series
NY or Boston vs. Florida would be another I-95 Series

Perhaps one day...
------------------
Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
I-35
Series
Cubs-Twins or Cubs-Tigers for the first I-94 Series (or throw the
Brewers in there instead of the Cubs)

OK, enough already...

-Bruce K.

Jay Maynard

Oct 13, 2003, 10:44:10 PM10/13/03
On 13 Oct 2003 19:25:01 -0700, Bruce Kanin <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Perhaps one day...
>------------------
>Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
>I-35 Series

Nope. Rangers-Astros would be the I-45 Series, but that's it. Houston's on
I-45, not I-35.

Astros-Anaheim Angels could be the I-10 Series.
Astros-Tigers could, one day, be the I-69 Series...which isn't likely to
happen before I-69 gets finished.

Rangers-Atlanta Braves would be the I-20 Series.

Joe Galea

Oct 13, 2003, 11:26:43 PM10/13/03

"Jay Maynard" <jmay...@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote in message

Well, not really since I-69 doesn't really come within the Detroit metro
area anyways.

Tigers-Braves and Tigers-Reds would both be I-75 Series.

Doug Krause

Oct 13, 2003, 11:29:09 PM10/13/03
In article <slrnbomonq....@thebrain.conmicro.cx>,

Jay Maynard <jmay...@conmicro.cx> wrote:
>Astros-Anaheim Angels could be the I-10 Series.

What I was hoping for in '86. :-(

Steve

Oct 13, 2003, 11:40:09 PM10/13/03
Jay Maynard wrote:

Marlins-Devil Rays, I-75 (or Marlins-Tigers, or Reds-Tigers, etc...)

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!

Mike McManus

Oct 13, 2003, 11:53:02 PM10/13/03

"Bruce Kanin" <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.

Highly unlikely: the I-71 Series (Reds vs. Indians).

Joe Galea

Oct 14, 2003, 12:05:46 AM10/14/03

"Mike McManus" <mmcm...@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message

I-76 series, Cleveland/Pittsburgh?

Kurumi

Oct 14, 2003, 1:12:03 AM10/14/03
In article <bmfsm3$v2o$1...@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, "Joe Galea"
<jgal...@ufl.edu> wrote:

I-76 NLCS, Colorado/Philly

--
Kurumi http://www.kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

william lynch

Oct 14, 2003, 1:23:15 AM10/14/03
in article slrnbomonq....@thebrain.conmicro.cx, Jay Maynard at
jmay...@thebrain.conmicro.cx wrote on 10/13/03 7:44 PM:

> On 13 Oct 2003 19:25:01 -0700, Bruce Kanin <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps one day...
>> ------------------
>> Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
>> I-35 Series
>
> Nope. Rangers-Astros would be the I-45 Series, but that's it. Houston's on
> I-45, not I-35.
>
> Astros-Anaheim Angels could be the I-10 Series.

Anaheim is more than 40 miles from I-10.

william lynch

Oct 14, 2003, 1:24:49 AM10/14/03
in article 7ff7f2e4.03101...@posting.google.com, Bruce Kanin at
bk9...@hotmail.com wrote on 10/13/03 7:25 PM:

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.
>
> I-95 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Mets vs. Baltimore Orioles (1969)
> Philadelphia Phillies vs. Baltimore Orioles (1983)
> NY Mets vs. Boston Red Sox (1986)
>
> I-80 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
> Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)

That year was never the BART series. It was originally
the Bay Bridge series, then it became the earthquake
series.

Cubuffchick

Oct 14, 2003, 2:34:46 AM10/14/03
I was hoping for the "I-80 Series", between the Giants and the Yankees.

Steve

Oct 14, 2003, 3:55:50 AM10/14/03
Bruce Kanin wrote:

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.
>
> I-95 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Mets vs. Baltimore Orioles (1969)
> Philadelphia Phillies vs. Baltimore Orioles (1983)
> NY Mets vs. Boston Red Sox (1986)

Sorry, Mets are well off of I-95.

> I-80 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
> Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)

Both the Yankees and the A's are many miles from I-80.

> I-70 World Series
> -----------------
> Kansas City Royals vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1985)
>
> And what about 2003?
> --------------------
> NY Yankees vs. Chicago Cubs could be another I-80 Series

And I-80 doesn't come near the Cubs, either.

> Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago Cubs would be the first I-90 Series

OK that I'll call close enough.

> NY or Boston vs. Florida would be another I-95 Series

Yankees are off I-87, but signed from I-95, so I'll give you that.
Boston is NOT off I-95. It would have been only if I-95 met the Inner
Loop and ran into the Artery.

> Perhaps one day...
> ------------------
> Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
> I-35
> Series

Rangers are technically off I-45, I think.

> Cubs-Twins or Cubs-Tigers for the first I-94 Series (or throw the
> Brewers in there instead of the Cubs)
>
> OK, enough already...
>
> -Bruce K.

Jay Maynard

Oct 14, 2003, 9:23:29 AM10/14/03
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:55:50 -0400, Steve <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote:
>Rangers are technically off I-45, I think.

I think the general public would count any Interstate that went to the city
the team played in...so any highway that goes to the DFW area would work for
the Rangers.

As it happens, though, The Ballpark at Arlington is just off I-30, and not
close to either I-35 (E or W), or I-45. I-45 does go pretty close to Minute
Maid Park, though.

Steve

Oct 14, 2003, 10:13:52 AM10/14/03
Jay Maynard wrote:

I thought the Six Flags in Dallas was on I-45 and that the Ballpark was
on the same highway as Six Flags.

Jay Maynard

Oct 14, 2003, 10:41:14 AM10/14/03
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:13:52 -0400, Steve <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote:
>I thought the Six Flags in Dallas was on I-45

Wrong. It's on I-30 (what used to be the D/FW Turnpike), in Arlington. I-45
goes up to downtown Dallas, a considerable way east of Arlington.

>and that the Ballpark was on the same highway as Six Flags.

Correct. It's just a couple of blocks away, even.

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 14, 2003, 10:52:59 AM10/14/03
"Joe Galea" <jgal...@ufl.edu> wrote in message

> I-76 series, Cleveland/Pittsburgh?

I was going to mention this one, but figured people would nit-pick that
"I-76 doesn't go to Cleveland, it goes to Akron."

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Steve

Oct 14, 2003, 12:14:58 PM10/14/03
Jay Maynard wrote:

Well thanks for the clarifications. Now I know that I actually have
been on I-30, thus meaning I've been on every x5 and x0.

Gary E. Ansok

Oct 14, 2003, 12:30:39 PM10/14/03
In article <3f8babe0$0$563$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>,
Steve <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote:

>Bruce Kanin wrote:
>> I-80 World Series
>> -----------------
>> NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
>> Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)
>Both the Yankees and the A's are many miles from I-80.

So were the Giants (at the time), but I think it's close enough
to count for purposes of this test.

Hmm.. are there any major league ballparks that *aren't* close
to an Interstate? I assume all the modern ballparks are
quite close to one or more freeways of some sort, and the
remaining older parks still have 2di's going through town.

So what major league stadia are furthest from the nearest:
a) freeway;
b) Interstate;
c) 2di?

What impact does it have on traffic patterns when the stadium
is not close to one or more freeways? Does it completely
clog up the most direct surface streets, or does it spread
the congestion around so that it's at least endurable?

(My experience at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium suggests the
latter, but the O's were not exactly drawing huge crowds in '88 ;-)

Gary

Bob

Oct 14, 2003, 2:26:14 PM10/14/03
Jay Maynard <jmay...@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote in message
> Astros-Anaheim Angels could be the I-10 Series.
> Astros-Tigers could, one day, be the I-69 Series...which isn't likely to
> happen before I-69 gets finished.

I don't know. It will probably be at least another 20 years before I-69 is
actually completed. A lot can happen between now and then.

Bobby Henderson

Marc Fannin

Oct 14, 2003, 4:22:40 PM10/14/03
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote...

> "Joe Galea" <jgal...@ufl.edu> wrote...

> > I-76 series, Cleveland/Pittsburgh?
>
> I was going to mention this one, but figured people would nit-pick that
> "I-76 doesn't go to Cleveland, it goes to Akron."

The "Partly-Nearby-Old-I-80N/I-80/I-80S-system-partly-turned-I-76 Series"
Don't think that that would fit on uniforms ;)

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Marc Fannin

Oct 14, 2003, 4:28:57 PM10/14/03
bk9...@hotmail.com (Bruce Kanin) wrote...

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.
>

> [snip]

> I-70 World Series
> -----------------
> Kansas City Royals vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1985)

This was in fact called the "I-70 Series" (in addition to the "Show-Me
Series").

mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/history/postseason/mlb_ws_recaps.jsp?feature=1985

(That was one question I aced on a high-school current events quiz at
the time :) )

J.P. Kirby

Oct 14, 2003, 5:25:05 PM10/14/03
an...@alumni.caltech.edu (Gary E. Ansok) wrote in

> Hmm.. are there any major league ballparks that *aren't* close
> to an Interstate? I assume all the modern ballparks are
> quite close to one or more freeways of some sort, and the
> remaining older parks still have 2di's going through town.

Well I'm pretty sure Skydome and Olympic Stadium are relatively far from an
interstate. :)

Though, when you think about it, the Big O isn't all that close to an
autoroute either. With the crowds the Expos have been getting, that's not
much of a problem however...

JPK
LET'S GO RED SOX!

--
J.P. Kirby, Captain of all Obvious!
v5...@unb.ca jpk...@hotmail.com

AlbertC79

Oct 14, 2003, 7:04:15 PM10/14/03
How about Chicago Vs. St. Louis? That could be the I-55 Series.

Anaheim Vs. Seattle, could be the I-5 Series.

A pipe-dream fantasy... Houston Astros Vs. KC Royals as the I-45 Series.

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 14, 2003, 7:19:58 PM10/14/03

In NFL football, the Washington Redskins have played 3 Super Bowls that
were tied to the other team by the same Interstate, if I-270 is
considered part of the I-70 corridor.

I-70 Super Bowl -

XXII Jan. 31, 1988 Washington 42, Denver 10

I-95 Super Bowls --

XVII Jan. 30, 1983 Washington 27, Miami 17
VII Jan. 14, 1973 Miami 14, Washington 7

Washington Redskins Super Bowls -not- tied by the same Interstate --

XXVI Jan. 26, 1992 Washington 37, Buffalo 24
XVIII Jan. 22, 1984 L.A. Raiders 38, Washington 9

Now if they could only pick up where they left off in 1992... :-(

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

william lynch

Oct 14, 2003, 7:22:33 PM10/14/03
in article 20031014190415...@mb-m12.aol.com, AlbertC79 at
albe...@aol.com wrote on 10/14/03 4:04 PM:

> How about Chicago Vs. St. Louis? That could be the I-55 Series.
>
> Anaheim Vs. Seattle, could be the I-5 Series.

That won't work. Anaheim and Seattle are both in the American
League. The only way to do an I-5 series would be some combination
of Dodgers/Padres vs. Angels/Mariners.

Steve

Oct 14, 2003, 7:39:35 PM10/14/03
J.P. Kirby wrote:

> JPK
> LET'S GO RED SOX!

J.P. loves the Red Sox because they are whiffahs of the highest degree. :)

Kyle Levenhagen

Oct 15, 2003, 12:27:11 AM10/15/03

"Gary E. Ansok" <an...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote in message

> Hmm.. are there any major league ballparks that *aren't* close
> to an Interstate? I assume all the modern ballparks are
> quite close to one or more freeways of some sort, and the
> remaining older parks still have 2di's going through town.

"Quite close" would be a good way to describe the new Busch Stadium in St.
Louis when it opens in 2006. I don't know the exact distance, but I've
heard that I-64/US 40 will be all of about 50 feet from the outside wall on
the first base side. (For those of you not familiar with St. Louis or the
stadium, the new stadium will be build immediately south of the current
Busch Stadium, in a parking lot adjacent to 64/40. A few on/off ramps will
need to be relocated to facilitate construction.) The fifty feet may be
exaggeration, but I'm almost certain the new Busch will be closer to the
highway than Comiskey/US Cellular is to I-90/94 in Chicago or the old County
Stadium was to I-94 in Milwaukee.

> So what major league stadia are furthest from the nearest:
> a) freeway;
> b) Interstate;
> c) 2di?
>
> What impact does it have on traffic patterns when the stadium
> is not close to one or more freeways? Does it completely
> clog up the most direct surface streets, or does it spread
> the congestion around so that it's at least endurable?
>
> (My experience at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium suggests the
> latter, but the O's were not exactly drawing huge crowds in '88 ;-)
>
> Gary

You've never been to Wrigley, have you? :) It may look close to I-90/94 on
the map, but it's a beast to get to on game day if you don't take the El.
And once you get there, finding a parking spot is a chore in itself.

So... did anybody else catch the choke job the Cubs pulled tonight? :) (My
teams are out of it, but I really don't like the Cubs *or* Yankees.)

Kyle

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 15, 2003, 12:34:56 AM10/15/03
Kyle Levenhagen wrote:

> "Gary E. Ansok" <an...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote in message
>
> > Hmm.. are there any major league ballparks that *aren't* close
> > to an Interstate? I assume all the modern ballparks are
> > quite close to one or more freeways of some sort, and the
> > remaining older parks still have 2di's going through town.
>
> "Quite close" would be a good way to describe the new Busch Stadium in St.
> Louis when it opens in 2006. I don't know the exact distance, but I've
> heard that I-64/US 40 will be all of about 50 feet from the outside wall on
> the first base side. (For those of you not familiar with St. Louis or the
> stadium, the new stadium will be build immediately south of the current
> Busch Stadium, in a parking lot adjacent to 64/40. A few on/off ramps will
> need to be relocated to facilitate construction.) The fifty feet may be
> exaggeration, but I'm almost certain the new Busch will be closer to the
> highway than Comiskey/US Cellular is to I-90/94 in Chicago or the old County
> Stadium was to I-94 in Milwaukee.

Interestingly, WisDOT had to relocate a section of the non-interstate
Stadium Freeway (then US 41), now 'Miller Park Way' (unmarked WI 341),
to build Miller Park. The freeway is right outside the left field wall.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Exile on Market Street

Oct 15, 2003, 12:42:03 AM10/15/03
Bruce Kanin wrote:

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.

Interesting exercise.

I think the reason only one of these theoretical "Interstate Series"
actually got called by that name is because only one of these

a) involves Interstate mileage *entirely within one state* *and*
b) does not involve a facility better known than the route number
locally (this takes care of the Oakland-SF possibility).

The New York "Subway Series" were *local* affairs; the San
Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, in this context, is a *local*
transportation facility. I-70 is *Missouri's* Main Street between its
two principal cities; all the other city pairs involve travel through
two or more states.

--
-----------Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia----------
Managing Editor, _Penn Current_ / smi...@pobox.upenn.edu

"I keep telling my husband, 'How bad is that? [Tim] Russert's not
getting it two times a day.'"
--Comedian/talk-show co-host Ali Wentworth, on reassuring hubby
George Stephanopolous that her remark about their marriage ("Do you
know of many strained marriages that make love twice a day?") was not
---------------all that scandalous (_Philadelphia Inquirer_ 9/30/03)--

Exile on Market Street

Oct 15, 2003, 12:45:34 AM10/15/03
Kurumi wrote:

> I-76 NLCS, Colorado/Philly

More appropriate:

I-76 NLCS, *Pittsburgh*-Philly

(Pittsburgh's in the NL Central Division; Philly's in the NL East)

AKA "the Turnpike Championship Series"

Kyle Levenhagen

Oct 15, 2003, 12:48:43 AM10/15/03

"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message

So am I the only one who thinks that Miller Park could've been built without
relocating part of "Miller Park Way"? Looking at the footprint of the
stadium, it seems like the whole thing could've been shifted to the west to
avoid the freeway. Otherwise, the construction could've been staged such
that the outfield bleachers of County Stadium could be removed to allow the
outer wall of Miller Park to be built (much like what was done to Cinergy
Field while the Great American Ballpark was under construction). The
staging for the new Busch Stadium will have the Cardinals playing in it
while the outfield stands in left are still under construction--they'll
occupy some of the same space as the outfield stands in the current Busch
Stadium.

Kyle

Doug Krause

Oct 15, 2003, 1:29:05 AM10/15/03
In article <z04jb.461$0l4...@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com>,

Kyle Levenhagen <kwleve...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>You've never been to Wrigley, have you? :) It may look close to I-90/94 on
>the map, but it's a beast to get to on game day if you don't take the El.
>And once you get there, finding a parking spot is a chore in itself.

Dodger Stadium is close to I-5, US-101, and CA-110, but it
feels fairly remote when you get into the ravine.

Steve

Oct 15, 2003, 2:28:08 AM10/15/03
Exile on Market Street wrote:

> The New York "Subway Series"

Please, the Deegan-Grand Central Series!

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 15, 2003, 2:38:49 AM10/15/03
Steve wrote:

> Exile on Market Street wrote:
>
> > The New York "Subway Series"
> >

> Please, the Deegan-Grand Central Series!

Or if lightning *REALLY* strikes and it is the Cubs/White Sox? The CTA
'Red Line' passes within a block of both stadia.

william lynch

Oct 15, 2003, 2:38:44 AM10/15/03
in article Lk4jb.468$nP5...@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com, Kyle Levenhagen at
kwleve...@yahoo.com wrote on 10/14/03 9:48 PM:

Speaking of Miller Park, I've been hearing rumors to the
effect that the pivot point of the roof behind home plate
is either (slowly) sinking or collapsing. Any truth to
this?

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 15, 2003, 2:50:56 AM10/15/03

The main bearings (they are 'conventional' friction bearings) were
replaced this past off-season due to a design failure. (Each roof
section has its own main 'pivot' bearing.) They were making a very
noticable noise when the roof was being opened and closed during the
2002 season, with roof movements subsequently being kept to a very
minimum until the original bearings could be replaced. They are working
fine now.

Pete from Boston

Oct 15, 2003, 11:45:00 AM10/15/03
Steve <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote in message news:<3f8babe0$0$563$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>...

> Yankees are off I-87, but signed from I-95, so I'll give you that.

Oh, come one now. Only tourists and the naive take the Deegan to the
Stadium. If you must drive, much better access comes (albeit
counterintuitively) via 95.

Jeff Leadbeater

Oct 15, 2003, 1:50:02 PM10/15/03
Tampa Bay and Florida, Atlanta OR Cincinnati - The I-75 Series
Seattle and Chicago - Another I-90 Series
LA and Seattle - The I-5 Series
Milwaukee and Minnesota OR Chicago - The I-94 Series
Chicago and Cleveland - The I-80/90 Series

"Bruce Kanin" <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> Series.
>

> I-95 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Mets vs. Baltimore Orioles (1969)
> Philadelphia Phillies vs. Baltimore Orioles (1983)
> NY Mets vs. Boston Red Sox (1986)

> I-80 World Series
> -----------------
> NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
> Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)
>

> I-70 World Series
> -----------------
> Kansas City Royals vs. St. Louis Cardinals (1985)
>

> And what about 2003?
> --------------------
> NY Yankees vs. Chicago Cubs could be another I-80 Series
> Boston Red Sox vs. Chicago Cubs would be the first I-90 Series
> NY or Boston vs. Florida would be another I-95 Series
>
> Perhaps one day...
> ------------------
> Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
> I-35
> Series
> Cubs-Twins or Cubs-Tigers for the first I-94 Series (or throw the
> Brewers in there instead of the Cubs)
>
> OK, enough already...
>
> -Bruce K.

william lynch

Oct 15, 2003, 1:56:50 PM10/15/03
in article 3F8CEE50...@dataex.com, Michael G. Koerner at
mgk...@dataex.com wrote on 10/14/03 11:50 PM:

Ok, that explains it. Thanks.

Jeff Leadbeater

Oct 15, 2003, 2:12:07 PM10/15/03
"Steve" <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote in message
> Bruce Kanin wrote:
> > I-80 World Series
> > -----------------
> > NY Yankees vs. San Francisco Giants (1962)
> > Oakland A's vs. San Francisco Giants (1989) (AKA the "BART" series)
> Both the Yankees and the A's are many miles from I-80.

Are not! They're in the same city as each terminal of the freeway. In
fact, the east end is only 6 road miles from Yankee Stadium on the other
side of Manhattan, in Jersey. Network Associates Coliseum is 7 miles from
I-80 and right off I-880. And SBC Park (Formerly Pacific Bell Park, just
renamed yesterday) is merely a mile away from the west end of I-80, and
1/4-mile from its 4th St. Interchange

Kurumi

Oct 15, 2003, 3:10:04 PM10/15/03
In article <3f8c8905$0$557$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, Steve
<smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote:

... soon to be starring in "Saving Private Steve," where a gritty bunch
of New Yorkers go deep into hostile territory to save one of their own
:-)

--
Kurumi http://www.kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges
Cubs and Sox Si; Same old s**t No

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 15, 2003, 6:21:28 PM10/15/03
Exile on Market Street <smi...@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Bruce Kanin wrote:
>
> > Since the inception of the Interstate Highway System there have been a
> > handful of World Series that could have more or less been named after
> > their nearby Interstate Highway, just like there have been Subway
> > Series.
>
> Interesting exercise.
>
> I think the reason only one of these theoretical "Interstate Series"
> actually got called by that name is because only one of these
>
> a) involves Interstate mileage *entirely within one state* *and*
> b) does not involve a facility better known than the route number
> locally (this takes care of the Oakland-SF possibility).
>
> The New York "Subway Series" were *local* affairs; the San
> Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, in this context, is a *local*
> transportation facility. I-70 is *Missouri's* Main Street between its
> two principal cities; all the other city pairs involve travel through
> two or more states.

I recall that the 1983 World Series between Baltimore and Philadelphia
was indeed referred to by the media as the "I-95 World Series".

Kyle Levenhagen

Oct 16, 2003, 12:52:49 AM10/16/03

"Jeff Leadbeater" <jeff0...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Milwaukee and Minnesota OR Chicago - The I-94 Series

Milwaukee and Detroit would also qualify as an I-94 Series, but I think the
"Hell Has Finally Frozen Over" Series would be more appropriate. :)

Kyle

The Original Archie Leach

Oct 16, 2003, 8:02:32 PM10/16/03
"Joe Galea" <jgal...@ufl.edu> wrote in message news:<bmfqcs$14na$1...@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>...

> "Jay Maynard" <jmay...@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote in message
> > On 13 Oct 2003 19:25:01 -0700, Bruce Kanin <bk9...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >Perhaps one day...
> > >------------------
> > >Minnesota Twins, KC Royals or Texas Rangers vs. Houston Astros for the
> > >I-35 Series
> >
> > Nope. Rangers-Astros would be the I-45 Series, but that's it. Houston's on
> > I-45, not I-35.

> > Astros-Anaheim Angels could be the I-10 Series.
> > Astros-Tigers could, one day, be the I-69 Series...which isn't likely to
> > happen before I-69 gets finished.
>
> Well, not really since I-69 doesn't really come within the Detroit metro
> area anyways.

What, you're saying that Port Huron, Lapeer, and Flint aren't part of
the Detroit metro area?

<ducks>

But really, if Ann Arbor is metro Detroit, then so are the above, and
more and more so as sprawl goes onward and outward.

> Tigers-Braves and Tigers-Reds would both be I-75 Series.

How about Tigers-Marlins, as well?

Tiger-Brewers would be an I 94 series.

Archie Leach

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 16, 2003, 8:18:42 PM10/16/03
master_b...@hotmail.com (The Original Archie Leach) wrote:

> "Joe Galea" <jgal...@ufl.edu> wrote:
>
> > Tigers-Braves and Tigers-Reds would both be I-75 Series.
>
> How about Tigers-Marlins, as well?
>
> Tiger-Brewers would be an I 94 series.

The 2003 World Series will be an I-95 World Series.

Miami (Marlins) is on I-95, as is the winner of the ALCS (Boston Red Sox
or New York Yankees).

Michael G. Koerner

Oct 17, 2003, 2:09:20 AM10/17/03
> Tiger-Brewers would be an I-94 series.

So would Brewers/White Sox and Brewers/Twins.

Pete from Boston

Oct 20, 2003, 2:48:17 PM10/20/03
Kurumi <sa...@xupiter.com> wrote in message news:<sales-5ED9B9....@news.west.earthlink.net>...

> In article <3f8c8905$0$557$b45e...@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, Steve
> <smal...@SPAM.edu> wrote:
>
> > J.P. Kirby wrote:
> >
> > > JPK
> > > LET'S GO RED SOX!
> > >
> > J.P. loves the Red Sox because they are whiffahs of the highest degree. :)
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> > GO YANKEES!
> > Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT
>
> ... soon to be starring in "Saving Private Steve," where a gritty bunch
> of New Yorkers go deep into hostile territory to save one of their own
> :-)

Leave him be. After a while you learn to move among the enemy
unnoticed and bring them down from the inside. There are pockets of
resistance, if you know where to look. My apartment for several days
became a sanctuary for people to practice Yankee fandom without fear
of reprisal, like the Christians in the catacombs of Rome.