Strange/unusual/unexpected place name pronunciations

Larry Harvilla

May 20, 2004, 1:40:52 AM5/20/04
This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
thread.

I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
others ...

Hayti, MO (HAY-tie, not like the recently war-torn Caribbean nation)

Cuyahoga County, OH (KEYE-uh-HOH-guh, the county in which you find
Cleveland)

Staunton, VA (STAN-tun, the U is silent)

Houma, LA (HOH-muh, basically ignore the U)

Louisville, KY (LOO-uh-vill, contrary to the popular LOO-ee-ville)

Ely, NV (EE-lee)

Methuen, MA (meh-THOO-uhn)

Woburn, MA (WOO-burn)

Worcester, MA (WUSS-ter)

Mamaroneck, NY (muh-MARE-oh-neck, second syllable like a female horse)

Schuylkill County, PA (SKOO-kill, I know, the expressway name is overdone
on MTR)

Wilkes-Barre, PA (WILKS-BEAR-ee, should be simple but I just heard it badly
mangled the other day)

DuBois, PA (doo-BOYZ)

Bellefontaine, OH (bell-FOWN-ten, at least that's what I've always been
told)

Lima, OH (LIE-muh, not like the capital of Peru)

Milan, OH and MI (MEYE-luhn, not like the city in Italy)

Berea, OH and KY (OH: burr-EE-uh for sure, KY: I've heard both burr-EE-uh
and burr-AY-uh)

Gogebic County, MI (go-GHEE-bik)

Baraga County, MI (BEAR-uh-guh)

Trenary, MI (treh-NAIR-ee)

Cohoes, NY (kuh-HOHZ, emphasis last)

Limon, CO (LIE-munn, not like the Spanish word for a lemon)

Rolla, MO (RAHL-uh)

Nephi, UT (NEFF-ee, first syllable as in "nephew")

Vilas County, WI (VEYE-luhs)

Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)

Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)

El Dorado, AR (ELL doh-RAY-doh)

Bossier City/County, LA (boh-SHEER)

Lenawee County, MI (LENN-uh-way)

Mackinac County, MI (MACK-in-awe)

Rowan County, NC (roh-WANN, second syllable rhymes with "tan" and gets
emphasis)

Lowville, NY (LOWW-ville, first syllable rhymes with "how")

Fauquier County, VA (foh-KEER)

Monongalia County, WV (monn-uhn-GAYL-yuh)

Kanawha County, WV (kuh-NOW-uh)

Compare: State of Oregon (ORR-eh-gun) / Oregon, OH (ORR-eh-GONE)

Compare: Wytheville, VA (WITH-vill, short I sound) / Blytheville, AR
(BLEYETH-ville, long I)

Compare: Charlotte, MI (shar-LOT, emphasis on 2nd syllable) / Charlotte, NC
(SHAR-lut, emphasis 1st)

--
Larry Harvilla
E-mail: roads AT phatpage DOT org

also visit: http://www.phatpage.org/
Highways section to be added soon.

Larry Scholnick

May 20, 2004, 2:21:59 AM5/20/04
And let's not forget another Los Angeles favorite, Cahuenga (cah-WEN-guh).

"Larry Harvilla" wrote

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 2:44:49 AM5/20/04
Larry Harvilla wrote:

> Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)

It's actually 'SHAW-no'. One of the easiest ways to pick the interloper
from a bunch of locals is that the stranger will call it 'sha-WA-no'.
This also applies to the City of Shawano.

> Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)

WAU-keh-sha

Also, whenever you see a 'Berlin' in Wisconsin, it is 'BER-lin', *not* 'ber-LIN'.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Steve

May 20, 2004, 8:03:37 AM5/20/04
Larry Harvilla wrote:

> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)
I think the Worcester/Dorcester MA thing has been mentioned (Woo-stuh,
oo as in look, or Wi-stuh, i as in lick, versus Doorchester).
It's not Bawstun, it's Bahstin. Extra credit if you can pronounce the
first o so perversely it sounds like Baa-stin.
New York, NY: The City.

--
Steve
GO YANKEES!

Barry L. Camp

May 20, 2004, 8:51:50 AM5/20/04

Charlotte, MI is not pronounced like Charlotte, NC. It is pronounced
shar-LOT ("LOT" as in "parking lot").

Barry L. Camp

Richard Kaszeta

May 20, 2004, 9:11:32 AM5/20/04
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Charlotte, MI is not pronounced like Charlotte, NC. It is pronounced
> shar-LOT ("LOT" as in "parking lot").

Yeah, I remember that one. And Concord, MI is "Con-cord", while
Concord, NH is "Conquered".

Speaking of NH, Lebanon, NH is "Leb-a-nin" or "Leb-nin". Berlin, NH
is BER-lin, not Ber-LIN. Then again, especially with the natives and
MA immigrants, almost anything ending in "er" is pronounced ending in
"ah", such as "Hanovah" and "Hennikah".

--
Richard W Kaszeta
ri...@kaszeta.org

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 20, 2004, 10:44:11 AM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 05:40:52 GMT, "Larry Harvilla"
<IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> said:

>Rowan County, NC (roh-WANN, second syllable rhymes with "tan" and gets
>emphasis)

Rowan County, KY, however is ROWW-in (same as "ruin", except the first
syllable rhymes with "how").

The counties of Wibaux, MT, and Ziebach, SD, are pronounced the same,
except one uses a "w" and the other uses a "z": WEE-baw and ZEE-baw.

The counties of Pend Oreille, WA, and Pondera, MT, are pronounced the
same: pond-uh-RAY.

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 10:53:03 AM5/20/04
Steve wrote:

> Larry Harvilla wrote:
>
> > This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> > thread.
> >
> > I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> > pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> > I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> > geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> > names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> > others ...
> >

> Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)

Lodi, WI is pronounced the same way.

H.B. Elkins

May 20, 2004, 11:20:53 AM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:

>This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"

>Berea, OH and KY (OH: burr-EE-uh for sure, KY: I've heard both burr-EE-uh
>and burr-AY-uh)

In Kentucky, it's buh-REE-uh.

>Rowan County, NC (roh-WANN, second syllable rhymes with "tan" and gets
>emphasis)

In Kentucky, it's ROW-un, first syllable rhymes with "pow" or "sow" as
in a female swine.

We have a lot of other odd pronunciations.

Yosemite -- yo-suh-might

Monticello -- mon-ti-sell-oh, not like the musical instrument

Versailles -- ver-sales, not ver-sigh

Athens -- long "a," not a short "a" like the city in Greece

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Larry Harvilla

May 20, 2004, 12:13:42 PM5/20/04
"Richard Kaszeta" <ri...@kaszeta.org> wrote in message

> "Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > Charlotte, MI is not pronounced like Charlotte, NC. It is pronounced
> > shar-LOT ("LOT" as in "parking lot").
>
> Yeah, I remember that one. And Concord, MI is "Con-cord", while
> Concord, NH is "Conquered".

Concord, NC is the same as its NH counterpart -- basically the same as the
word "conquered."

Wayne Moyer

May 20, 2004, 8:36:54 AM5/20/04
My favorite is another one of those ways to pick out the visitors. Forked
River, NJ (FORK-ed as in Mr Ed)

Wayne Moyer

"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Scott M. Kozel

May 20, 2004, 1:17:06 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:

> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

Virginia:

Loudoun - LAU-din (LAU rhymes with COW)
Fauquier - FAW-keer (FAW rhymes with LAW, keer rhymes with beer)
Monticello - mont-i-CHELL-o
Staunton - STAN-tin
Norfolk - NAW-fik (by many locals) (NAW rhymes with LAW)
NOR-fik (by some others in the state, still no "L" pronounced)
Suffolk - SUFF-ik
Gloucester - GLOS-ter
Buchanan - BUCK-an-in
Wytheville - WITH-vil
Henrico - hen-RIKE-o (RIKE rhymes with BIKE)

Maryland:

Baltimore - BAWL-i-mur (by many locals)
Worcester - WOOS-ter
Wicomico - wi-KOM-i-ko
Chevy Chase - hard "CH" pronounced

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

KMG365

May 20, 2004, 2:13:44 PM5/20/04

On 20-May-2004, "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > Larry Harvilla wrote:
> >
> > > This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name
> > > pronunciation"
> > > thread.
> > >
> > > I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
> > > weird
> > > pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
> > > What
> > > I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> > > geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> > > names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known
> > > than
> > > others ...
> > >

> > Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)
>
> Lodi, WI is pronounced the same way.

And then there's Waupun, WI, pronounced "wuh-PONN."

Bob S

May 20, 2004, 3:02:56 PM5/20/04
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message news:<40AC53E2...@dataex.com>...

> Larry Harvilla wrote:
>
> > Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)
>
> It's actually 'SHAW-no'. One of the easiest ways to pick the interloper
> from a bunch of locals is that the stranger will call it 'sha-WA-no'.
> This also applies to the City of Shawano.
>
> > Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)
>
> WAU-keh-sha
>
> Also, whenever you see a 'Berlin' in Wisconsin, it is 'BER-lin', *not* 'ber-LIN'.

Don't forget Oconomowoc. OH-con-ah-mah-woc

We can always spot the new non-local TV newscasters when they mention
Boscobel and Muscoda, WI. They say bahs-CO-bel and muss-CO-dah. It's
BAHS-cah-bell and MUSS-cah-day.

Bob S

Marc Fannin

May 20, 2004, 3:20:25 PM5/20/04
[Sorry if this is a dup]

"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote...

> Cuyahoga County, OH (KEYE-uh-HOH-guh, the county in which you find
> Cleveland)

Some locals insist that it is pronounced like that; others insist the
"-hog-" is pronounced like the animal. There was a set of three
articles published recently on this and other area names:

"If men are on lake, they aren't from here" 2/6/04
http://tinyurl.com/2r7r4
(www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/tom_feran/index.ssf?/base/living/1076063753150440.xml)

"Ohioans take pride in game of names" 2/10/04
http://tinyurl.com/2qao5
(www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/tom_feran/index.ssf?/base/living/1076409309261481.xml)

"Shooing the hog out of Cuyahoga" 2/13/04
http://tinyurl.com/24ezt
(www.cleveland.com/living/plaindealer/tom_feran/index.ssf?/base/living/107666853692640.xml)

(Anonymous registration required)

Also, one I heard via a radio station in the northern part of the
state when discussing strange names downstate: Russia (ROO-shee --
"oo" as in "food")

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Message has been deleted

Bill Bleckwenn

May 20, 2004, 4:13:33 PM5/20/04
mister19...@hotmail.com (Dr. Phil Is Weird) wrote in message news:<40acc36...@news.individual.de>...

Rio, WI (rye-oh)

Muscoda, WI (MUSK-oh-day, not Musk-OH-dah)

Montevideo, MN (Mon-teh-VI-dee-oh)

Wabasha, MN (WAH-ba-SHAW)

Waterford, WI (Water-ferd) (This one is subtle)

Willmar, MN (WILL-mer)

and I'll throw this one in too:

Milwaukee, WI

People from outside Wisconsin say "MILL-wau-kee" or "Mill-WAU-kee"
Wisconsinites (outside of Milwaukee) say "Mi-WAU-kee"
Milwaukeeans say "MWAU-kee"

ParrotRob

May 20, 2004, 4:45:30 PM5/20/04

> > Larry Harvilla wrote:
> >
> > > Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)
> >
> > It's actually 'SHAW-no'. One of the easiest ways to pick the interloper
> > from a bunch of locals is that the stranger will call it 'sha-WA-no'.
> > This also applies to the City of Shawano.
> >
> > > Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)
> >
> > WAU-keh-sha
> >
> > Also, whenever you see a 'Berlin' in Wisconsin, it is 'BER-lin', *not*
'ber-LIN'.

> Don't forget Oconomowoc. OH-con-ah-mah-woc

And who would have thought that
Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, Massachusetts was actually
pronounced Char-gog-a-gog-man-chug-a-gog-chu-bun-a-gung-a-mahg instead of
Char-gog-a-gog-man-chaug-a-gog-chu-bun-a-gung-a-maug?

Kevin Flynn

May 20, 2004, 5:13:04 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<71686b146ae180e3...@news.teranews.com>...
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...
(snip)

> Louisville, KY (LOO-uh-vill, contrary to the popular LOO-ee-ville)

(snip)

I worked with a guy from there and he pronounced it with a
much-shortened "LUL-vil." Then I visited there, and I actually heard
some of the locals pronounce it even shorter, thusly: "L-L." Really.

Larry Harvilla

May 20, 2004, 5:28:00 PM5/20/04
news:40ACC64F...@dataex.com...> Steve wrote:

> > Larry Harvilla wrote:
> >
> > > This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name
pronunciation"
> > > thread.
> > >
> > > I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
weird
> > > pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
What
> > > I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> > > geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of
place
> > > names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known
than
> > > others ...
> > >

> > Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)
>
> Lodi, WI is pronounced the same way.

As is Lodi, OH.

Paul D. DeRocco

May 20, 2004, 6:30:42 PM5/20/04
> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote

> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

[snip]

The river that goes through Portland, OR, is the wil-LAM-mette, not the
WILL-a-mette. On the other hand, the town on the coast is called
TILL-a-mook, not til-LAM-ook. Go figure. I never was sure of the accenting
of Cathlamet, WA or Clatskanie, OR.

Of course, most people can't pronounce Oregon anyway. The first syllable is
pronounced like "or", not "are", and the last syllable is pronounced like
"gun" and not "gone".

The NW has some other nice names:

Puyallup, WA -- pyoo-AL-up, where the middle syllable rhymes with "pal", not
"all".

Chehalis, WA -- cheh-HAY-liss.

Scappoose, OR -- SKAP-POOCE, first syllable rhymes with "map", both
syllables accented.

Chelan, WA -- shuh-LANE.

Tigard, OR -- TYE-gird.

Tualatin, OR -- too-ALL-a-tin.

Poulsbo, WA -- POLES-bo.

Washington has lots of amusing names, some of which I have no clue as to
pronunciation: Pe Ell, La Push, Moclips, Queets, Sequim, Boistfort,
Humptulips, Lilliwaup. At the other extreme, Oregon has Boring and Drain.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Paul D. DeRocco

May 20, 2004, 6:33:29 PM5/20/04
> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote

> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

Some from Massachusetts:

Nahant, MA -- na-HAHNT.

Athol, MA -- ATH-oll, 1st syllable rhymes with "math", second with "doll".

Billerica, MA -- BILL-a-RICK-a. That's one of two Massachusetts towns
consisting of a boy's name and a girl's name. Anyone know the other?

Taunton, MA -- TAUNT-'n.

Orleans, MA -- or-LEENZ, not OR-l'nz.

Clicquot, MA -- KLEE-co.

Padanarum, MA -- PAID-'n-AIR-um.

Scituate, MA -- SIT-choo-et.

Revere, MA -- re-VEE-uh. (That's a joke.)

Massachusetts has lots of "hams" but fall into two different categories of
pronunciation. Eastham, Wareham, Waltham end in the word "ham", accented
almost as much as the first syllable. Chatham, Stoneham, Hingham, Wenham,
Dedham end in a quick "um".

Christopher Blaney

May 20, 2004, 6:46:18 PM5/20/04
"Bill Bleckwenn" <wjb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> mister19...@hotmail.com (Dr. Phil Is Weird) wrote in message

> Montevideo, MN (Mon-teh-VI-dee-oh)

But that's how the one in Uruguay is pronounced, so it's not unusual or
unexpected. It would be really odd if it were pronounced
"Mahn-tee-vid-e-yoh".

Chris Blaney

Larry Harvilla

May 20, 2004, 6:42:42 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

A few more I thought of to add:

Chillicothe, OH (CHILL-ih-kahth-ee) ... Looks pretty obvious, but I've
heard it mangled before too.

Gallipolis, OH (GAL-ih-poh-LEASE, last two syllables just like a word for
law enforcement officers)

Chicopee, MA (CHICK-uh-pee, usually when I hear this screwed up, people are
emphasizing the 2nd syllable)

Mio, MI (MEYE-oh, not like a Spanish word meaning "my" or "mine")

Mikado, MI (mih-KAY-doh) ... both Mio and Mikado are *VERY* tiny towns in
the northeastern Lower Peninsula

Olentangy River (OH-lenn-TAN-jee, though OSU students do frequently -- and
I'm told correctly -- describe the quality of the water by calling it
"old-and-tangy") :)

Muskingum County, OH (muh-SKING-uhm, again the usual error is to emphasize
the first syllable)

Delphi, IN (DEL-fee, not DEL-feye)

Prairie du Chien, WI (PRAYER-ee duh SHANE, correct French would be
"prayer-EE dyoo SHE-enn" with the R's pronounced by almost closing off your
throat with your tongue, and the final N pronounced very nasally)

Peabody, MA (PEE-buh-DEE)

Piqua, OH (PICK-wuh, even I used to say PEEK-wuh until I was corrected) :)

Philippi, WV (FILL-ih-PEE)

Opelika, AL (OH-pull-EYE-kuh, I've heard this mangled numerous different
ways)

Olathe, KS (OH-lay-thuh, the final E is sort of pronounced, not ignored)

Metairie, LA (METT-uh-REE)

Keysers Ridge, MD and Keyser, WV (KEYE-zer, or at least that's what I've
heard)

Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have no
clue.

And finally, a couple variations on the same spelling that even I'm not
sure of.

Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
"sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
correction.

Chris Bessert

May 20, 2004, 6:53:34 PM5/20/04
Christopher Blaney wrote:
> "Bill Bleckwenn" <wjb...@aol.com> wrote:

>>mister19...@hotmail.com (Dr. Phil Is Weird) wrote:
>
>>Montevideo, MN (Mon-teh-VI-dee-oh)
>
> But that's how the one in Uruguay is pronounced,

Actually, wouldn't the Uruguayan capital be pronounced:
"mon-teh-vee-DAY-oh"?

> so it's not unusual or
> unexpected. It would be really odd if it were pronounced
> "Mahn-tee-vid-e-yoh".

I think the main differences are the emphasis in Minnesota on the
third syllable as opposed to the fourth in Uruguay and the "DAY"
in Uruguay versus the "dee" in 'Sota.

Later,
Chris

--
Chris Bessert
Bess...@aol.com

Larry Harvilla

May 20, 2004, 6:47:44 PM5/20/04
"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Billerica, MA -- BILL-a-RICK-a. That's one of two Massachusetts towns
> consisting of a boy's name and a girl's name. Anyone know the other?

Melrose.

Christopher Blaney

May 20, 2004, 6:57:55 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.

New Jersey, where I spent the first 27 years of my life:

Bogota: bo-GO-ta, not "bogo-TA!"
Bernardsville: ber-NERDS-vil, not "Ber-NARD's Ville".
Mendham: MEND-um, not mend-ham.
Buena Vista: bwenna-vista
Buena: bwenna
Forked River: fork-ED river

New York State, where I've spent the last three years:

Cincinnatus: cin-cin-NAY-tus (not at all pronounced like the Queen City of
Ohio)
Skaneateles: skinny-atlas
Lowville: LOW-vil (the first three letters pronounced like the last three
letters of ALLOW)
De Ruyter: dee RHY-ter (or duh RHY-ter)
Schenectady: sss-KENNECT-edey (rolls off the tongue very easily)
Chenango: I'm not sure if the CH is hard or soft, I've said it both ways and
haven't gotten funny looks.

Chris Blaney

Scott M. Kozel

May 20, 2004, 7:00:17 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:

> Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have no
> clue.

Like it looks - HAVE-er duh GRACE

Paul D. DeRocco

May 20, 2004, 7:01:52 PM5/20/04

"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

From California:

Klamath - CLAM-uth.

Pt. Mugu - ma-GOO, like Mister.

Port Hueneme - hway-NEE-mee.

Simi Valley - SEE-mee.

Azusa - technically, a-ZOO-sa, but it's amazing how many people insist on
calling it a-SOO-za, even in traffic reports on the radio. Don't ask me why.

Ojai - OH-hi.

Poway - POW-way.

Carpinteria - CAR-pin-ter-REE-ah.

Yreka - why-REE-ka.

Cuyama - kwee-AH-ma.

Yucaipa - you-KIPE-a.

Cambria - half the residents pronounce it CAMM-bree-a, the other half say
CAME-bree-a.

San Luis Obispo - san-LOO-iss-oh-BISS-poh, although some say san-LOO-ee. The
easiest way to say it is just S.L.O.

Barry L. Camp

May 20, 2004, 7:01:06 PM5/20/04

> Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> correction.

Scio is pronounced "SY-oh". The "Sci" is like in "science".

Barry L. Camp

Scott M. Kozel

May 20, 2004, 7:03:31 PM5/20/04
"Christopher Blaney" <cbl...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> New Jersey, where I spent the first 27 years of my life:
>
> Bogota: bo-GO-ta, not "bogo-TA!"
> Bernardsville: ber-NERDS-vil, not "Ber-NARD's Ville".
> Mendham: MEND-um, not mend-ham.
> Buena Vista: bwenna-vista

The Buena Vista in Virginia pronounces the "ue" as a long "U" --

B-uu-na VIS-ta

Chris Bessert

May 20, 2004, 7:00:42 PM5/20/04
Larry Harvilla wrote:

> Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> correction.

If you're speaking of Scio Twp in Washtenaw ("WASH-tuh-NAW" :^) Co,
that'd be "SIGH-oh".

As for the Ohioan Scioto, I don't know for certain, but I've always
used "sky-OH-TOE" myself.

FightingIrish1

May 20, 2004, 7:51:15 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<71686b146ae180e3...@news.teranews.com>...

> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...
>

> Hayti, MO (HAY-tie, not like the recently war-torn Caribbean nation)
>
> Cuyahoga County, OH (KEYE-uh-HOH-guh, the county in which you find
> Cleveland)
>
> Staunton, VA (STAN-tun, the U is silent)
>
> Houma, LA (HOH-muh, basically ignore the U)
>
> Louisville, KY (LOO-uh-vill, contrary to the popular LOO-ee-ville)
>
> Ely, NV (EE-lee)
>
> Methuen, MA (meh-THOO-uhn)
>
> Woburn, MA (WOO-burn)
>
> Worcester, MA (WUSS-ter)
>
> Mamaroneck, NY (muh-MARE-oh-neck, second syllable like a female horse)
>
> Schuylkill County, PA (SKOO-kill, I know, the expressway name is overdone
> on MTR)
>
> Wilkes-Barre, PA (WILKS-BEAR-ee, should be simple but I just heard it badly
> mangled the other day)
>
> DuBois, PA (doo-BOYZ)
>
> Bellefontaine, OH (bell-FOWN-ten, at least that's what I've always been
> told)
>
> Lima, OH (LIE-muh, not like the capital of Peru)
>
> Milan, OH and MI (MEYE-luhn, not like the city in Italy)
>
> Berea, OH and KY (OH: burr-EE-uh for sure, KY: I've heard both burr-EE-uh
> and burr-AY-uh)
>
> Gogebic County, MI (go-GHEE-bik)
>
> Baraga County, MI (BEAR-uh-guh)
>
> Trenary, MI (treh-NAIR-ee)
>
> Cohoes, NY (kuh-HOHZ, emphasis last)
>
> Limon, CO (LIE-munn, not like the Spanish word for a lemon)
>
> Rolla, MO (RAHL-uh)
>
> Nephi, UT (NEFF-ee, first syllable as in "nephew")
>
> Vilas County, WI (VEYE-luhs)
>
> Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)
>
> Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)
>
> El Dorado, AR (ELL doh-RAY-doh)
>
> Bossier City/County, LA (boh-SHEER)
>
> Lenawee County, MI (LENN-uh-way)
>
> Mackinac County, MI (MACK-in-awe)
>
> Rowan County, NC (roh-WANN, second syllable rhymes with "tan" and gets
> emphasis)
>
> Lowville, NY (LOWW-ville, first syllable rhymes with "how")
>
> Fauquier County, VA (foh-KEER)
>
> Monongalia County, WV (monn-uhn-GAYL-yuh)
>
> Kanawha County, WV (kuh-NOW-uh)
>
> Compare: State of Oregon (ORR-eh-gun) / Oregon, OH (ORR-eh-GONE)
>
> Compare: Wytheville, VA (WITH-vill, short I sound) / Blytheville, AR
> (BLEYETH-ville, long I)
>
> Compare: Charlotte, MI (shar-LOT, emphasis on 2nd syllable) / Charlotte, NC
> (SHAR-lut, emphasis 1st)

Cudahy, WI - pronounced Cuh-duh-hay

Compare: Nicollet, MN - Nick-o-Let and Nicollet, WI - Nick-o-lay

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 20, 2004, 8:32:00 PM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:30:42 GMT, "Paul D. DeRocco"
<pder...@ix.netcom.com> said:

>Washington has lots of amusing names, some of which I have no clue as to
>pronunciation: Pe Ell, La Push, Moclips, Queets, Sequim, Boistfort,
>Humptulips, Lilliwaup.

BOISTfort?!?!?!?!?!

SERIOUSLY?????

THAT IS SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOISTfort!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you just how funny that is to me!!!!!!

In high school we always used to yell out "BOIST!!!" because it was a
code word for masturbation!!!

BOOOOOOIIIIIIIIST!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 20, 2004, 8:34:48 PM5/20/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:00:42 -0400, Chris Bessert <bess...@aol.com>
said:

>As for the Ohioan Scioto, I don't know for certain, but I've always
>used "sky-OH-TOE" myself.

There's no "k" sound. It's "sy-OH-toh".

KMG365

May 20, 2004, 8:41:49 PM5/20/04

On 20-May-2004, "Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

> "Christopher Blaney" <cbl...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > New Jersey, where I spent the first 27 years of my life:
> >
> > Bogota: bo-GO-ta, not "bogo-TA!"
> > Bernardsville: ber-NERDS-vil, not "Ber-NARD's Ville".
> > Mendham: MEND-um, not mend-ham.
> > Buena Vista: bwenna-vista
>
> The Buena Vista in Virginia pronounces the "ue" as a long "U" --
>
> B-uu-na VIS-ta

Same deal in Iowa.

Chris Bessert

May 20, 2004, 9:16:22 PM5/20/04
FightingIrish1 wrote:

> Compare: Nicollet, MN - Nick-o-Let and Nicollet, WI - Nick-o-lay

Actually, every time I've heard Minnesotans pronounce Nicollet, it's
"NICK-LIT" like the middle syllable has faded away over the years.
It still sounds grating to me, as Nicollet is "NICK-o-LAY" for Pete's
sake!!

Jeff Carlyle

May 20, 2004, 9:24:01 PM5/20/04
Kevin Flynn <fly...@rockymountainnews.com> wrote:

> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:
>> Louisville, KY (LOO-uh-vill, contrary to the popular LOO-ee-ville)
>
> I worked with a guy from there and he pronounced it with a
> much-shortened "LUL-vil." Then I visited there, and I actually heard
> some of the locals pronounce it even shorter, thusly: "L-L." Really.

I usually see LUHL-ville as the phoenetic spelling; however, it appears that
LOO-ee-ville is becoming more common among locals, but I still cringe
everytime I hear it.

There is short discussion of the pronounciations of Louisville in the book
"Kentucky Place Names."

--
// Jeffrey Carlyle - jef...@carlyle.org - http://www.jeffc.org/

Chris Ekema

May 20, 2004, 9:24:12 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<fc3d7668323d28ae...@news.teranews.com>...

> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message

> A few more I thought of to add:

Here are some from Texas:

Waxahachie (the town I live in): WOX-a-hach-ie
Italy: It-ly the "a" is silent
Ennis: ENN-is
Mexia: ma-HAY-a
Kerens: KERNS the second "e" is silent
Itasca: I-tas-ca
Lancaster: LANE-ca-ster (though I've said LAN-caster to annoy an old
friend of mine, and I've stuck with it)

Chris E.

Patrick Lee Humphrey

May 20, 2004, 9:49:43 PM5/20/04
ce92...@yahoo.com (Chris Ekema) writes:

Can you handle some from the south and east, like:

Manor
Elgin (both near Austin)
Humble
San Jacinto
San Felipe (all in the Houston area)
Marquez (up north of Madisonville)
Refugio

? ;-)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2003-04 Houston Aeros)

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 10:40:57 PM5/20/04
Bill Bleckwenn wrote:

> "Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message news:<40AC53E2...@dataex.com>...

> > Larry Harvilla wrote:
> >
> > > Shawano County, WI (SHAH-uh-noh, or so my friend in the U.P. tells me)
> >
> > It's actually 'SHAW-no'. One of the easiest ways to pick the interloper
> > from a bunch of locals is that the stranger will call it 'sha-WA-no'.
> > This also applies to the City of Shawano.
> >
> > > Waukesha, WI (WAW-keh-SHAW)
> >
> > WAU-keh-sha
>
> Actually, it is WAH-ke-SHAW, as shown in the first posting, with the
> accent on both first and last syllables.

I was rethinking that one after I posted it and it seems to me that I do
keep hearing about a 'half accent' on the last syllable.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________

Stephen Dailey

May 20, 2004, 10:50:06 PM5/20/04
In article <6b1a8b3a00ac80f2...@news.teranews.com>,
IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com says...

> Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote in message
> news:40ACC64F...@dataex.com...> Steve wrote:

> pronunciation"

> weird
> What
> place
> than
> > > >

> > > Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)
> >
> > Lodi, WI is pronounced the same way.
>

> As is Lodi, OH.

As is Lodi, CA. Think of the Creedence Clearwater Revival song. :-)

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA
smda...@seanet.com
20 May 2004, 1949 PDT

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 10:46:43 PM5/20/04
"Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:
> >
> > Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have no
> > clue.
>
> Like it looks - HAVE-er duh GRACE

When roadtripping in that area (actually nearby Aberdeen) a couple of
times over the past few years, I have also heard the first word
pronounced like the name of the Packers' quarterback.

Which way is Havre, MT pronounced?

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 10:49:42 PM5/20/04
KMG365 wrote:

> On 20-May-2004, "Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> > "Christopher Blaney" <cbl...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > New Jersey, where I spent the first 27 years of my life:
> > >
> > > Bogota: bo-GO-ta, not "bogo-TA!"
> > > Bernardsville: ber-NERDS-vil, not "Ber-NARD's Ville".
> > > Mendham: MEND-um, not mend-ham.
> > > Buena Vista: bwenna-vista
> >
> > The Buena Vista in Virginia pronounces the "ue" as a long "U" --
> >
> > B-uu-na VIS-ta
>
> Same deal in Iowa.

Nevada, IA --- ne-VAY-duh ('ay' as in 'day').

Michael G. Koerner

May 20, 2004, 10:51:42 PM5/20/04
FightingIrish1 wrote:

> Cudahy, WI - pronounced Cuh-duh-hay
>
> Compare: Nicollet, MN - Nick-o-Let and Nicollet, WI - Nick-o-lay

Doesn't 'Nicollet, WI' have only one 'l' ('Nicolet')? That's how the US
Forest Service spells it ('Nicolet National Forest').

magyar

May 20, 2004, 10:55:46 PM5/20/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message

> Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> correction.

Concerning the Ohio versions, I was tought to pronounce them sigh-O-toh

> --
> Larry Harvilla
> E-mail: roads AT phatpage DOT org
>
> also visit: http://www.phatpage.org/
> Highways section to be added soon.

Sandor G
--
"I'ma low pay daddy singin' th' high price blues."
--Corey Harris singing Woody Guthrie

Robert Cruickshank

May 20, 2004, 11:29:04 PM5/20/04
Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> Washington has lots of amusing names, some of which I have no clue as to
> pronunciation: Pe Ell, La Push, Moclips, Queets, Sequim, Boistfort,
> Humptulips, Lilliwaup. At the other extreme, Oregon has Boring and Drain.

Sequim is pronounced "squim" as if there were no e in the town name.

As I've heard in in Mason County WA, Lilliwaup is pronounced "Lillawop".

Okanogan, both a city and a county in Washington, is pronounced as if it
were spelled Okanagan - "oak-uh-GNAW-gen". The river these are named
after IS spelled Okanagan.

Wahkiakum County, in southwestern Washington near the mouth of the
Columbia, is pronounced "wah-KYE-uh-come".

I was once told that the rule for pronouncing Native American place
names (which all of the above are) in Washington is that the second
syllable is the one that is accented. Think of how you pronounce Seattle
and Tacoma (both Native names).

--
Robert I. Cruickshank
roadgeek, historian, progressive

Eagles Fan On I-175

May 21, 2004, 1:05:21 AM5/21/04
Maybe a local could help me out with the "acceptable" pronunciation of
New Orleans. I've heard it "NEW or-LEANS", "new OR-lins", and even
"NAW-lins", and have personally tried all three, only to get strange
looks from everyone. Never been there, but planning on going soon,
and I have no intention of sounding like a Yankee. :-)

SG

May 21, 2004, 1:47:22 AM5/21/04
There's also Delhi (DEL-hi) in New York, and Apalachin (A-pul-ache-in).

As for Chenango, I've always pronounced it and heard it as shuh-NAN-go.

The Original Archie Leach

May 21, 2004, 2:12:41 AM5/21/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<71686b146ae180e3...@news.teranews.com>...
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.
>
> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have weird
> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways. What
> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> others ...

[...]
> Compare: Charlotte, MI (shar-LOT, emphasis on 2nd syllable) / Charlotte, NC
> (SHAR-lut, emphasis 1st)

A few other Michigan goodies:

Pompeii: POM-pee-eye

Okemos: OH-kuh-mis (or OH-kuh-mus). Another exposer of outsiders who
pronounce it "oh-KEE-mus".

Chesaning: non-locals tend to prounuce it CHESS-a-ning, but natives
and locals tend to go with CHESS-a-NING, with primary emphasis on the
third syllable

Carrollton: CAR-roll-ton, with CAR as in (surprise) "CAR" and not
"CARE".

Dowagiac: do-WAH-zhee-ack (I'm not a southwest Michigan native so I
haven't had the opportunity to hear a mangled pronunciation of it,
although I'm guessing it's been done)

Leelanau: LEE-la-naw, I believe. Perhaps there have been tourists up
in wine country who would pronounce it le-LAN-oh or something like
that.

Delhi Township: DEL-HIGH, as opposed to the subcontinental
pronunciation

And a few Chicago gems:

Kenilworth: KEY-nil-worth, with KEY as in "Francis Scott Key"

Cicero: SIS-er-oh. Notable in that I've heard that the original
latin pronunciation of the poet's name would be "kuh-KARE-oh".

Ravenswood: as in "Quoth the Raven"--RAY-vens-wood, and not as in
"Ravioli". I confess that I was the guilty party in using the short-a
pronunciation for the north-side neighborhood

Archie Leach

James C. Schul

May 21, 2004, 2:30:20 AM5/21/04
> Athens -- long "a," not a short "a" like the city in Greece

Ohio's Athens is pronounced that way, too.

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 21, 2004, 2:32:09 AM5/21/04
On 20 May 2004 23:30:20 -0700, jcs...@ameritech.net (James C. Schul)
said:

>> Athens -- long "a," not a short "a" like the city in Greece
>
>Ohio's Athens is pronounced that way, too.

No, on the radio stations there it's pronounced with a short "a".

Desert Dave

May 21, 2004, 2:49:12 AM5/21/04
"Stephen Dailey" <smda...@seanet.com> wrote in message

As is Lodi, NY.

James C. Schul

May 21, 2004, 2:46:36 AM5/21/04
> Cuyahoga County, OH (KEYE-uh-HOH-guh, the county in which you find
> Cleveland)

In the Pretenders' early 1980s hit "My City Was Gone" (which you know
if you listen to Rush Limbaugh) they pronounce it "kuh-HOH-guh":

"And music filled the air
from Seneca to Cuyahoga Falls"

(I think those are their lyrics!)

Eric Opperman

May 21, 2004, 2:49:46 AM5/21/04
Chris Ekema wrote:

> Here are some from Texas:
>
> Waxahachie (the town I live in): WOX-a-hach-ie

Well, we've been saying it wrong without being corrected for three years
now when we're announcing starting lineups on the PA system. (My
college volleyball team has two players from there) Oh well.

--
Thanks for your time,

Eric Opperman
"I knew we were in for a long season when we lined up for the national
anthem on opening day and one of my players said, 'Every time I hear
that song, I have a bad game,'" - Jim Leyland, about Opening Day 1986
with the Pirates

Chris Bessert

May 21, 2004, 7:42:46 AM5/21/04
Dr. Phil Is Weird wrote:
> (James C. Schul) said:
>
>>>Athens -- long "a," not a short "a" like the city in Greece
>>
>>Ohio's Athens is pronounced that way, too.
>
> No, on the radio stations there it's pronounced with a short "a".

I've always heard Athens, Ohio pronounced with a short "a" as well,
even from some lifelong Ohioans I know, including one with relations
in Athens.

Chris Bessert

May 21, 2004, 7:51:55 AM5/21/04
The Original Archie Leach wrote:

> A few other Michigan goodies:
>
> Pompeii: POM-pee-eye

I hate to admit I have relatives in Gratiot County because of that...
I mean it sounds so, I dunno... "hick-ish" to hear something like that
mangled so badly.

> Okemos: OH-kuh-mis (or OH-kuh-mus). Another exposer of outsiders who
> pronounce it "oh-KEE-mus".

Or "oh-KEE-mose." A furniture chain based in Detroit with an Okemos
store ran statewide ads for the chain and for YEARS they mispronounced
Okemos. It was sad.

> Carrollton: CAR-roll-ton, with CAR as in (surprise) "CAR" and not
> "CARE".

You pronounce it like "Carleton" for whatever reason... :^)

> Dowagiac: do-WAH-zhee-ack (I'm not a southwest Michigan native so I
> haven't had the opportunity to hear a mangled pronunciation of it,
> although I'm guessing it's been done)

Actually, my co-worker hails from the area and she maintains it's
pronounced with THREE (not two and not four) syllables, thusly:
"doh-WAH-zjyack". I always wondered if it was that or "DWAH-zjyack"
as two syllables, but she says it's definately three.

> Leelanau: LEE-la-naw, I believe. Perhaps there have been tourists up
> in wine country who would pronounce it le-LAN-oh or something like
> that.

Yes: "LEE-lah-naw" it is.

Chris Ekema

May 21, 2004, 8:23:01 AM5/21/04
Patrick Lee Humphrey <pat...@io.com> wrote in message news:<szkekpe...@fnord.io.com>...

> ce92...@yahoo.com (Chris Ekema) writes:
>
> >"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<fc3d7668323d28ae...@news.teranews.com>...
> >> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
>

> Can you handle some from the south and east, like:
>
> Manor
> Elgin (both near Austin)
> Humble
> San Jacinto
> San Felipe (all in the Houston area)
> Marquez (up north of Madisonville)
> Refugio
>
> ? ;-)

Lets see:
I bet Manor is something like MAY-nor
Elgin: EL-gun
Humble: UM-ble
San Jacinto: San HAC-into
San Felipe: San Fe-LI-pe
Marquez: mar-KAY ??? Sounds French, I know, but somehow I bet most of
these are not pronounced as they seem.
Refugio: Re-FU-gio

Chris E.

Chris Ekema

May 21, 2004, 8:24:42 AM5/21/04
Eric Opperman <eri...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:<2h5n5gF...@uni-berlin.de>...

> Chris Ekema wrote:
>
> > Here are some from Texas:
> >
> > Waxahachie (the town I live in): WOX-a-hach-ie
>
> Well, we've been saying it wrong without being corrected for three years
> now when we're announcing starting lineups on the PA system. (My
> college volleyball team has two players from there) Oh well.

Yeah?? Cool, who are they, I might know them.

Chris E.

Patrick Lee Humphrey

May 21, 2004, 9:19:50 AM5/21/04
ce92...@yahoo.com (Chris Ekema) writes:

>Patrick Lee Humphrey <pat...@io.com> wrote in message news:<szkekpe...@fnord.io.com>...
>> ce92...@yahoo.com (Chris Ekema) writes:

>> Can you handle some from the south and east, like:

>> Manor
>> Elgin (both near Austin)
>> Humble
>> San Jacinto
>> San Felipe (all in the Houston area)
>> Marquez (up north of Madisonville)
>> Refugio
>>
>> ? ;-)

>Lets see:
>I bet Manor is something like MAY-nor
>Elgin: EL-gun
>Humble: UM-ble

Not bad, so far -- 3 of 3.

>San Jacinto: San HAC-into

Not when it's the street in Houston, or the monument and park out at the
Battleground. It's pronounced as it's spelled: San JacINto.

>San Felipe: San Fe-LI-pe

That works everywhere else, but for the town west of Houston and the street in
west Houston, it's San FILL-a-pee. (It's easy to tell the newcomers on the
local news at 5/6/10, as they invariably pronounce it as if it were the
Spanish name.)

>Marquez: mar-KAY ??? Sounds French, I know, but somehow I bet most of
>these are not pronounced as they seem.

Right on the money -- and the only reason I know that one is thanks to a
classmate of mine from high school who lived there a while in the '80s.

>Refugio: Re-FU-gio

Off by one letter: ReFUrio, both for the town and the county. (It could be
worse -- we could have the boatload of native place names that Oklahoma deals
with.)

4 of 7 isn't bad, considering that there are a few long-time Texans who can't
figure out Iraan. (I was one of them until the tail end of the '70s, when I
learned it from a neighbor who'd grown up there -- it's the combination of the
husband and wife who first settled there: Ira and Ann, and it's pronounced
the same way, minus the "and", of course. :-)

Richard Kaszeta

May 21, 2004, 9:26:35 AM5/21/04
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> writes:
> > Cudahy, WI - pronounced Cuh-duh-hay
> >
> > Compare: Nicollet, MN - Nick-o-Let and Nicollet, WI - Nick-o-lay
>
> Doesn't 'Nicollet, WI' have only one 'l' ('Nicolet')? That's how the US
> Forest Service spells it ('Nicolet National Forest').

Correct. They named after different people with similar names, the
former for Joseph Nicollet, the explorer and mapmaker of the 1830s,
the later for Jean Nicolet the French Voyageur of the 1630s.

As a former resident of the area, I can confirm the
pronounciation... Also, in Minneapolis there is Nicollet island, and
it's also Nick-o-let.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
ri...@kaszeta.org

Richard Kaszeta

May 21, 2004, 9:34:12 AM5/21/04
master_b...@hotmail.com (The Original Archie Leach) writes:
> A few other Michigan goodies:
>
> Okemos: OH-kuh-mis (or OH-kuh-mus). Another exposer of outsiders who
> pronounce it "oh-KEE-mus".

I remember getting corrected on this one. Interestingly, where I live
now (NH/VT), there is an Okemo mountain which is definitely o-KEE-mo.

Also from Michigan:

Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
lee-vo-nee-ah

Detroit: A simple one, deh-troit, but a *lot* of people from the
South and Northeast seem to call it DEE-troit. Heck, so do I, if
I'm being sarcastic.

Rich (who has lived so many places and picks up accents so easily that
his "native" accent is now a mishmash of upstate
NY-Delaware-Arizona-Michigan-Tennessee-Minnesota-New Hampshire)

Michael G. Koerner

May 21, 2004, 11:46:18 AM5/21/04
Richard Kaszeta wrote:

> master_b...@hotmail.com (The Original Archie Leach) writes:
> > A few other Michigan goodies:
> >
> > Okemos: OH-kuh-mis (or OH-kuh-mus). Another exposer of outsiders who
> > pronounce it "oh-KEE-mus".
>
> I remember getting corrected on this one. Interestingly, where I live
> now (NH/VT), there is an Okemo mountain which is definitely o-KEE-mo.
>
> Also from Michigan:
>
> Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
> lee-vo-nee-ah

I've always pronounced that one the first way.

> Detroit: A simple one, deh-troit, but a *lot* of people from the
> South and Northeast seem to call it DEE-troit. Heck, so do I, if
> I'm being sarcastic.

Same thing with out-of-town/national sportscasters calling it
'GREEN-bay', WI, when in reality it is 'green-BAY', with a very soft
accent on the final syllable, often with no perceptable accent at all ('green-bay').

Larry Harvilla

May 21, 2004, 11:48:59 AM5/21/04
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> The Buena Vista in Virginia pronounces the "ue" as a long "U" --
>
> B-uu-na VIS-ta

The same is true of Lake Buena Vista, FL (near Orlando) -- BYOO-nuh.

Larry Harvilla

May 21, 2004, 11:57:47 AM5/21/04
"The Original Archie Leach" <master_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:b0fc426a.04052...@posting.google.com...

> And a few Chicago gems:
>
> Kenilworth: KEY-nil-worth, with KEY as in "Francis Scott Key"
>
> Cicero: SIS-er-oh. Notable in that I've heard that the original
> latin pronunciation of the poet's name would be "kuh-KARE-oh".
>
> Ravenswood: as in "Quoth the Raven"--RAY-vens-wood, and not as in
> "Ravioli". I confess that I was the guilty party in using the short-a
> pronunciation for the north-side neighborhood

Don't forget Paulina Avenue, just west of downtown: paul-EYE-nuh, not
paul-EE-nuh. Also, Des Plaines is pronounced with both S's: "dez PLAINZ,"
with the S's sort of "Z-ified," if you will. :)

Allen Seth Dunn

May 21, 2004, 12:06:01 PM5/21/04

"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> > This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> > thread.
> >
> > I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
> weird
> > pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
> What
> > I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> > geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> > names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> > others ...
>
> A few more I thought of to add:
>
> Chillicothe, OH (CHILL-ih-kahth-ee) ... Looks pretty obvious, but I've
> heard it mangled before too.
>
> Gallipolis, OH (GAL-ih-poh-LEASE, last two syllables just like a word for
> law enforcement officers)
>
> Chicopee, MA (CHICK-uh-pee, usually when I hear this screwed up, people
are
> emphasizing the 2nd syllable)
>
> Mio, MI (MEYE-oh, not like a Spanish word meaning "my" or "mine")
>
> Mikado, MI (mih-KAY-doh) ... both Mio and Mikado are *VERY* tiny towns in
> the northeastern Lower Peninsula
>
> Olentangy River (OH-lenn-TAN-jee, though OSU students do frequently -- and
> I'm told correctly -- describe the quality of the water by calling it
> "old-and-tangy") :)
>
> Muskingum County, OH (muh-SKING-uhm, again the usual error is to emphasize
> the first syllable)
>
> Delphi, IN (DEL-fee, not DEL-feye)
>
> Prairie du Chien, WI (PRAYER-ee duh SHANE, correct French would be
> "prayer-EE dyoo SHE-enn" with the R's pronounced by almost closing off
your
> throat with your tongue, and the final N pronounced very nasally)
>
> Peabody, MA (PEE-buh-DEE)
>
> Piqua, OH (PICK-wuh, even I used to say PEEK-wuh until I was corrected) :)
>
> Philippi, WV (FILL-ih-PEE)
>
> Opelika, AL (OH-pull-EYE-kuh, I've heard this mangled numerous different
> ways)
>
> Olathe, KS (OH-lay-thuh, the final E is sort of pronounced, not ignored)
>
> Metairie, LA (METT-uh-REE)
>
> Keysers Ridge, MD and Keyser, WV (KEYE-zer, or at least that's what I've
> heard)

Yes, that's what it is. It's pronounced like Kaiser (as in the HMO or in the
one-time title of German leaders) and geyser. There is no KEY in the
pronunciation, regardless of what my father insisted, and I spent at year
school there to know for sure. Of course, the way you have it is a little
confusing and a better phonetic explanation of the term might be KY-zer with
the first syllable rhyming with the word eye. BTW, Keyser, WV and the
Panhandle of MD and Eastern Panhandle of WV are nice areas, you just have to
drive to Cumberland, MD to see a movie, or to Hagerstown, MD; Winchester,
VA; Morgantown, WV; or the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh to do decent
shopping.

> Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have
no
> clue.
>

> And finally, a couple variations on the same spelling that even I'm not
> sure of.

> Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> correction.

Larry Harvilla

May 21, 2004, 12:06:00 PM5/21/04

> master_b...@hotmail.com (The Original Archie Leach) writes:
> > A few other Michigan goodies:
> >
> > Okemos: OH-kuh-mis (or OH-kuh-mus). Another exposer of outsiders who
> > pronounce it "oh-KEE-mus".
>
> I remember getting corrected on this one. Interestingly, where I live
> now (NH/VT), there is an Okemo mountain which is definitely o-KEE-mo.
>
> Also from Michigan:
>
> Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
> lee-vo-nee-ah

Most everybody from the area pronounces it with only three syllables:
lih-VOHN-yuh.

> Detroit: A simple one, deh-troit, but a *lot* of people from the
> South and Northeast seem to call it DEE-troit. Heck, so do I, if
> I'm being sarcastic.

Correct, it is a second-syllable accent: deh-TROYT. Interestingly enough,
proper French would have a first-syllable accent: DAY-twah.

I'll also throw in one more Detroit suburb that I swear I've never heard a
non-native actually say right:

Novi (NOH-VEYE, basically almost-equal emphasis) ... Every non-local I've
ever heard has screwed it up as "NOH-vee" or "NAH-vee."

Chris Bessert

May 21, 2004, 1:01:07 PM5/21/04
Michael G. Koerner wrote:

> Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>>
>>Also from Michigan:
>>
>>Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
>> lee-vo-nee-ah
>
> I've always pronounced that one the first way.

I'd almost go with "lih-VONE-yuh" and slur the four syllable into
three.

Another Metro Detroit city I've yet to see mentioned here: Hamtramck.
You add another vowel when saying it: "ham-TRAM-ick".

Also a city west of Detroit near Ann Arbor that invariable gets men-
tioned in these kinds of threads (and may already have been, but I
haven't seen it): Ypsilanti. It's "IPP-suh-LAN-tee" or, via slurring
the syllables together, "IPP-suh-LANNY". It is NOT "YIPP-see-LAN-tee",
although the abbreviated term for Ypsi is pronounced "IPP-see".

And from the west side of the state, one that get snickers from the
high school crowd is Bangor: "BANG-er".

Richard Kaszeta

May 21, 2004, 2:02:12 PM5/21/04
Chris Bessert <Bess...@aol.com> writes:
> >>Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
> >> lee-vo-nee-ah
> > I've always pronounced that one the first way.
>
> I'd almost go with "lih-VONE-yuh" and slur the four syllable into
> three.

Yeah, I usually hear the third and fourth run together like that.

> Also a city west of Detroit near Ann Arbor that invariable gets men-
> tioned in these kinds of threads (and may already have been, but I
> haven't seen it): Ypsilanti. It's "IPP-suh-LAN-tee" or, via slurring
> the syllables together, "IPP-suh-LANNY". It is NOT "YIPP-see-LAN-tee",
> although the abbreviated term for Ypsi is pronounced "IPP-see".

Mostly I've heard the short Ypsi over the full name anyways.

Andrew Tompkins

May 21, 2004, 4:25:14 PM5/21/04
> "Scott M. Kozel" wrote:

> > "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have no
> > > clue.
> >
> > Like it looks - HAVE-er duh GRACE
>
> When roadtripping in that area (actually nearby Aberdeen) a couple of
> times over the past few years, I have also heard the first word
> pronounced like the name of the Packers' quarterback.
>
> Which way is Havre, MT pronounced?

Havre, MT -- HAVE-er.

--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins
Software Engineer
Beaverton, OR
http://home.comcast.net/~andytom/Highways

Andrew Tompkins

May 21, 2004, 4:27:46 PM5/21/04
"Chris Bessert" <bess...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Larry Harvilla wrote:
> >
> > Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> > "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> > correction.
>
> If you're speaking of Scio Twp in Washtenaw ("WASH-tuh-NAW" :^) Co,
> that'd be "SIGH-oh".

Same for Scio, OR.

> As for the Ohioan Scioto, I don't know for certain, but I've always
> used "sky-OH-TOE" myself.
>
> Later,
> Chris

Scioto River -- SIGH-oh-toe (lived near Columbus for 8 years).

Stephen M. Webb

May 21, 2004, 4:31:51 PM5/21/04
Chris Bessert <Bess...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<c8kqnc$20bm$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> > Carrollton: CAR-roll-ton, with CAR as in (surprise) "CAR" and not
> > "CARE".
>
> You pronounce it like "Carleton" for whatever reason... :^)

The Irish name "Carroll" is pronounced to sound like it's spelled
"Karl," not like "Carol." It makes sense that the town whence the
Carrolls hail would be pronounced "KARLton."

The name "Carleton" is also mispronounced. It was originally spelled
"Carlton" after a public space in Glasgow, Scotland, and a
cartographer erroneously added the extra E. It stuck.

A similar incident resulted in the spelling of Yonge street in
Ontario. It's named after a Mr. Young, but the cartographer who
officially recorded the street name was not particular about which
letters he used to spell a name, as long as he used some.

Andrew Tompkins

May 21, 2004, 4:44:05 PM5/21/04

> The river that goes through Portland, OR, is the wil-LAM-mette, not the
> WILL-a-mette. On the other hand, the town on the coast is called
> TILL-a-mook, not til-LAM-ook. Go figure. I never was sure of the accenting
> of Cathlamet, WA or Clatskanie, OR.

From what I hear in Portland:

Cathlamet, WA -- Cath-LAM-mette

Clatskanie, OR -- CLAT-skuh-neye

> Of course, most people can't pronounce Oregon anyway. The first syllable is
> pronounced like "or", not "are", and the last syllable is pronounced like
> "gun" and not "gone".
>
> The NW has some other nice names:
>
> Puyallup, WA -- pyoo-AL-up, where the middle syllable rhymes with "pal", not
> "all".
>
> Chehalis, WA -- cheh-HAY-liss.
>
> Scappoose, OR -- SKAP-POOCE, first syllable rhymes with "map", both
> syllables accented.

The accent is definately on the second syllable.

skap-POOCE or skuh-POOCE

> Chelan, WA -- shuh-LANE.

shuh-LAN (as in land, not lane)

> Tigard, OR -- TYE-gird.
>
> Tualatin, OR -- too-ALL-a-tin.
>
> Poulsbo, WA -- POLES-bo.
>
> Washington has lots of amusing names, some of which I have no clue as to
> pronunciation: Pe Ell, La Push, Moclips, Queets, Sequim, Boistfort,
> Humptulips, Lilliwaup. At the other extreme, Oregon has Boring and Drain.
>
> --
>
> Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul mailto:pder...@ix.netcom.com

Message has been deleted

Scott M. Kozel

May 21, 2004, 5:52:01 PM5/21/04
"Michael G. Koerner" <mgk...@dataex.com> wrote:

> Richard Kaszeta wrote:
>
> > Detroit: A simple one, deh-troit, but a *lot* of people from the
> > South and Northeast seem to call it DEE-troit. Heck, so do I, if
> > I'm being sarcastic.
>
> Same thing with out-of-town/national sportscasters calling it
> 'GREEN-bay', WI, when in reality it is 'green-BAY', with a very soft
> accent on the final syllable, often with no perceptable accent at all ('green-bay').

That may be common to accentuate the "Bay". That is how people in
Virginia and Maryland typically say "Chesapeake Bay".

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com

Lepidopteran

May 21, 2004, 6:25:31 PM5/21/04
In Ohio, the city of Piqua is often pronounced "PICK-way", instead of
what I understood to be the proper "PICK-wuh". There is/was a shoe
store chain called "Pickway Shoes"; I wonder if that was just
confusion?"

Is Montpelier, OH pronounced the same as the capital of Vermont? And
how is that pronounced, anyway?

There are two streets in Toledo I am not sure how to pronounce:

"Carskaddon", which appears in town at least twice (including one at
Monroe St and the 1/2 interchange with I-475 EB). I've heard both
"cars-KADD-en" and "CAR-ska-don"

"Powhattan" I always assumed "POW-hat-ten", but I suspect that's
incorrect.

Christopher Blaney

May 21, 2004, 8:28:52 PM5/21/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message
> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> thread.

Speaking of pronunciations, one thing that had me in stitches was hearing
that when my sister first moved out to western Pennsylvania, she pronounced
the relatively close town of Ashtabula, Ohio, this way:

ash-TAB-yula instead of ashtib-YULA.

Even I knew the correct pronunciation! To this day I guffaw over it.

Chris Blaney

Brian J. Matuschak

May 21, 2004, 9:43:17 PM5/21/04
"Poulsbo", WA goes two ways: "POLES-bow" or "PAULS-bo" and Philomath, OR is
"fill-OH-muth." The Yaquina River and Bay in coastal Oregon are pronounced
"yuh-QUEEN-uh" rather than the expected Spanish "yuh-KEEN-uh." Yachats, OR,
also on the coast, is "YAH-hots," although to f* with someone out of the
area, tell them that it's really pronounced "yuh-SHAW," like the French word
for "cats." ;-)

--
Brian J. Matuschak
Publisher, the "Electronic Atlas Newsletter" (1990-2000)

"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> > "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote

> > This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
> > thread.
> >

> > I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
> weird
> > pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
What
> > I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
> > geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
> > names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
> > others ...
>

> [snip]

> The river that goes through Portland, OR, is the wil-LAM-mette, not the
> WILL-a-mette. On the other hand, the town on the coast is called
> TILL-a-mook, not til-LAM-ook. Go figure. I never was sure of the accenting
> of Cathlamet, WA or Clatskanie, OR.
>

> Of course, most people can't pronounce Oregon anyway. The first syllable
is
> pronounced like "or", not "are", and the last syllable is pronounced like
> "gun" and not "gone".
>
> The NW has some other nice names:
>
> Puyallup, WA -- pyoo-AL-up, where the middle syllable rhymes with "pal",
not
> "all".
>
> Chehalis, WA -- cheh-HAY-liss.
>
> Scappoose, OR -- SKAP-POOCE, first syllable rhymes with "map", both
> syllables accented.
>

> Chelan, WA -- shuh-LANE.

Larry Harvilla

May 21, 2004, 9:36:56 PM5/21/04

> And from the west side of the state, one that get snickers from the
> high school crowd is Bangor: "BANG-er".
>
> Later,
> Chris

I'm fairly certain the better-known Bangor (in Maine) is pronounced with
more of an "O" sound in the final syllable: BAYN-gore.

Pat O'Connell

May 21, 2004, 10:10:07 PM5/21/04

H.B. Elkins wrote:

> "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:
>
>>This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"
>

>>Berea, OH and KY (OH: burr-EE-uh for sure, KY: I've heard both burr-EE-uh
>>and burr-AY-uh)
>
> In Kentucky, it's buh-REE-uh.
>
>>Rowan County, NC (roh-WANN, second syllable rhymes with "tan" and gets
>>emphasis)
>
> In Kentucky, it's ROW-un, first syllable rhymes with "pow" or "sow" as
> in a female swine.
>
> We have a lot of other odd pronunciations.
>
> Yosemite -- yo-suh-might
>
> Monticello -- mon-ti-sell-oh, not like the musical instrument
>
> Versailles -- ver-sales, not ver-sigh

Versailles IN is pronounced the same way.

More from Indiana:

Peru: PEE ROO

Lafayette: Lah fee ET, though some say Lay fee ET

Terre Haute: Mostly Terra Hote, but some people call it Terry HUT.

Vincennes: some say Vin Sins.

Galveston: gal VES ton.

Paoli: Pay oh LEE.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

The Original Archie Leach

May 21, 2004, 10:11:29 PM5/21/04
Chris Bessert <Bess...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<c8lcr5$2h1c$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...
> Michael G. Koerner wrote:
> > Richard Kaszeta wrote:
> >>
> >>Also from Michigan:
> >>
> >>Livonia: lih-vo-nee-ah, while outsiders often call it Lie-vo-nee-ah or
> >> lee-vo-nee-ah
> >
> > I've always pronounced that one the first way.
>
> I'd almost go with "lih-VONE-yuh" and slur the four syllable into
> three.
>
> Another Metro Detroit city I've yet to see mentioned here: Hamtramck.
> You add another vowel when saying it: "ham-TRAM-ick".
>
> Also a city west of Detroit near Ann Arbor that invariable gets men-
> tioned in these kinds of threads (and may already have been, but I
> haven't seen it): Ypsilanti. It's "IPP-suh-LAN-tee" or, via slurring
> the syllables together, "IPP-suh-LANNY". It is NOT "YIPP-see-LAN-tee",
> although the abbreviated term for Ypsi is pronounced "IPP-see".
>
> And from the west side of the state, one that get snickers from the
> high school crowd is Bangor: "BANG-er".
>
> Later,
> Chris

Funny you should mention that--I made an utterly random (and mostly
useless) road trip to celebrate my birthday back in February 2002 on a
frigid Saturday afternoon, taking I 69 from Lansing down to Coldwater,
and then US 12 over from Coldwater to New Buffalo, and then back up
Red Arrow Highway, just so I could check out the Saturday night boy's
varsity basketball game between Bangor and St. Joseph Lake Michigan
Catholic High Schools, played at "The House of Noise" in St. Joseph.

The PA announcer at LMC pronounced it "BAN-gore".

Incidentally, Lake Michigan Catholic won by some ridiculous score like
85-36. It was indeed a pretty brutal thrashing.

They would eventually make it to the Class D semifinals in Michigan,
losing in the semifinals.

Archie Leach

The Original Archie Leach

May 21, 2004, 10:15:11 PM5/21/04
"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message news:<54b4378252e616b2...@news.teranews.com>...

> "The Original Archie Leach" <master_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:b0fc426a.04052...@posting.google.com...
> > And a few Chicago gems:
> >
> > Kenilworth: KEY-nil-worth, with KEY as in "Francis Scott Key"
> >
> > Cicero: SIS-er-oh. Notable in that I've heard that the original
> > latin pronunciation of the poet's name would be "kuh-KARE-oh".
> >
> > Ravenswood: as in "Quoth the Raven"--RAY-vens-wood, and not as in
> > "Ravioli". I confess that I was the guilty party in using the short-a
> > pronunciation for the north-side neighborhood
>

> Don't forget Paulina Avenue, just west of downtown: paul-EYE-nuh, not
> paul-EE-nuh.

"Paulina is next. Doors open on the right at Paulina. This is a
Brown Line train to Kimball."

Oops......I'm probably violating some arcane clause of CTA's
"Intellectual Property Codes" by quoting that, but oh well.

> Also, Des Plaines is pronounced with both S's: "dez PLAINZ,"
> with the S's sort of "Z-ified," if you will. :)

So why give a town a French name if you're going to Anglicize the
pronunciation?

Archie Leach

Stanley Cline

May 21, 2004, 9:08:43 PM5/21/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 08:03:37 -0400, Steve <smal...@hackmit.edu>
wrote:

>Lodi NJ: LOW-die (long i)

Lodi, CA is pronounced the same way.

LaFayette, GA: pronounced as it is, "luh FAY it" (not "lah fay ETTE"
like the cities in LA, IN, etc., which have a lowercase F)

Ooltewah, TN: "OOH tuh wah" (the L is not pronounced)

Resaca, GA: "ruh SAH kuh" (occasionally mangled by non-locals)

Chamblee, GA: "SHAM blee" (not "CHAM blee")

Dacula, GA: "duh KEW luh" (most non-Georgia natives mangle one badly,
often as "DAA kew luh")

Nevada, MO: "ne VAY duh" (not "ne VAH duh" like the state)

El Dorado, AR: "EL duh RAY doh" (not "el duh RAH do")

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Stephen Dailey

May 21, 2004, 10:56:30 PM5/21/04
Kamiah, ID: KAM-ee-aye

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA
smda...@seanet.com
21 May 2004, 1956 PDT

James C. Schul

May 22, 2004, 2:20:50 AM5/22/04
"Paul D. DeRocco" <pder...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<Zmarc.3806>
> Orleans, MA -- or-LEENZ, not OR-l'nz.

There was a pop group from the 1970s by this name from New York City,
and their name was pronounced like you said. Their two big hits were
"Dance With Me" and "Still The One".

Dr. Phil Is Weird

May 22, 2004, 2:24:29 AM5/22/04
On 21 May 2004 23:20:50 -0700, jcs...@ameritech.net (James C. Schul)
said:

>There was a pop group from the 1970s by this name from New York City,
>and their name was pronounced like you said. Their two big hits were
>"Dance With Me" and "Still The One".

ABC ruined the song "Still The One" to use in their promo campaign.

But at least a person bubbled in one of the ads!

James C. Schul

May 22, 2004, 2:24:37 AM5/22/04
> Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
> "sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
> correction.

I've heard "Scioto" pronounced "sigh-OH-toh".

James C. Schul

May 22, 2004, 2:42:34 AM5/22/04
> Don't forget Paulina Avenue, just west of downtown: paul-EYE-nuh, not
> paul-EE-nuh. Also, Des Plaines is pronounced with both S's: "dez PLAINZ,"
> with the S's sort of "Z-ified," if you will. :)

I remember hearing someone on one of the nationally syndicated sports
shows pronounce Des Plaines as "dee-PLAYN." Must have been from Des
Moines.

James, who wonders if his "duh-MOYN" pronunciation of the Iowa state
capital is correct

KMG365

May 22, 2004, 9:02:37 AM5/22/04

Close. It's d'MOYN, one syllable

http://www.usenet.com

David Norris

May 22, 2004, 10:29:45 AM5/22/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:42:42 GMT, "Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote:

>"Larry Harvilla" <IGNOR...@ADDRESS-IN-SIGNATURE.com> wrote in message

>> This was inspired by Larry Scholnick's recent "Road name pronunciation"

>> thread.
>>
>> I don't often get to notice a whole lot of streets or roads that have
>weird
>> pronunciations, as I don't do a whole lot of my driving off freeways.
>What
>> I do tend to notice more is names of cities/towns, counties, or
>> geographical features. So, without further ado, here's a list of place
>> names off the top of my head. Some of these will be more well-known than
>> others ...
>

>Question for Scott Kozel or any other Marylander: Havre de Grace? I have no
>clue.
>

>And finally, a couple variations on the same spelling that even I'm not
>sure of.
>

>Scio Twp., MI / Scioto River and County, OH -- I think "SKY-oh" and
>"sky-OH-toh," but I'd appreciate a little independent confirmation or
>correction.

sigh-o
sigh-o-toe

--
Dave Norris
Lucasville, OH

Richard Kaszeta

May 22, 2004, 12:30:51 PM5/22/04
Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> writes:
> Is Montpelier, OH pronounced the same as the capital of Vermont? And
> how is that pronounced, anyway?

Montpelier, VT is mont-PEE-lee-err, often with the "lee-err" blended
together into "lyeer".

Doug Krause

May 22, 2004, 1:53:30 PM5/22/04
In article <362b5ab8bdf86487...@news.teranews.com>,

Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
>In Ohio, the city of Piqua is often pronounced "PICK-way", instead of
>what I understood to be the proper "PICK-wuh". There is/was a shoe
>store chain called "Pickway Shoes"; I wonder if that was just
>confusion?"
>
>Is Montpelier, OH pronounced the same as the capital of Vermont? And
>how is that pronounced, anyway?

And James Madison's estate in Virginia.

John Mara

May 22, 2004, 9:03:49 PM5/22/04

> Dr. Phil Is Weird wrote:

> >>Ohio's Athens is pronounced that way, too.
> >
> > No, on the radio stations there it's pronounced with a short "a".
>
> I've always heard Athens, Ohio pronounced with a short "a" as well,
> even from some lifelong Ohioans I know, including one with relations
> in Athens.

I knew that a TV announcer had spent too much time in upstate NY when she
said that an airliner had crashed on a flight from Athens to KAY-ro (Cairo)

John Mara

Clayton Bigsby

May 22, 2004, 9:39:19 PM5/22/04

Or extreme southern Illinois.

--
"A vote for Bush is a character flaw" - Janeane Garofalo

Chris Lawrence

May 22, 2004, 10:04:05 PM5/22/04
On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:08:43 +0000, Stanley Cline wrote:

> LaFayette, GA: pronounced as it is, "luh FAY it" (not "lah fay ETTE"
> like the cities in LA, IN, etc., which have a lowercase F)

Lafayette County, MS is pronounced the same way (luh-FAY-it)--still
lowercase F. (Though, some people say "luh-FET" instead.) I suspect the
city in Louisiana is also luh-FAY-it, being in the Deep South.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <ch...@lordsutch.com> - http://blog.lordsutch.com/

Chris Lawrence

May 22, 2004, 10:10:00 PM5/22/04
On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:05:21 -0700, Eagles Fan On I-175 wrote:

> Maybe a local could help me out with the "acceptable" pronunciation of
> New Orleans. I've heard it "NEW or-LEANS", "new OR-lins", and even
> "NAW-lins", and have personally tried all three, only to get strange
> looks from everyone. Never been there, but planning on going soon,
> and I have no intention of sounding like a Yankee. :-)

Around these parts, it's "NOR-lins" or "NYOR-lins". But I doubt that's
how people in New Orleans pronounce it.

Chris Lawrence

May 22, 2004, 10:15:59 PM5/22/04
On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:01:07 -0400, Chris Bessert wrote:
> Also a city west of Detroit near Ann Arbor that invariable gets men-
> tioned in these kinds of threads (and may already have been, but I
> haven't seen it): Ypsilanti. It's "IPP-suh-LAN-tee" or, via slurring
> the syllables together, "IPP-suh-LANNY". It is NOT "YIPP-see-LAN-tee",
> although the abbreviated term for Ypsi is pronounced "IPP-see".

Right, because the abbreviation's Yps(ilant)i, not Ypsi(lanti). Nobody I
met in Ann Arbor (or, for that matter, anyone I know who went to Eastern
Michigan) calls the town anything other than Ypsi.

Washtenaw Co. was a bit of a mouthful at first as well. And I've yet to
hear a definitive pronunciation for the nearby town of Saline...

Larry Harvilla

May 23, 2004, 1:40:38 AM5/23/04
"Chris Lawrence" <ch...@lordsutch.com> wrote in message

> Washtenaw Co. was a bit of a mouthful at first as well. And I've yet to
> hear a definitive pronunciation for the nearby town of Saline...

suh-LEEN.

SAY-leen refers to a solution commonly used for contact lenses, but not the
town. ;-)

It is loading more messages.