Freeway Series?

Mr. Mojave

Jun 1, 2002, 2:52:31 PM6/1/02
Anyone else getting a little excited that this is probably the best
chance in over a decade for a Freeway Series in October? (NY-NY is
Subway Series, SF-Oak is Bridge Series, I don't know what Chicago is,
and LA-Ana is Freeway Series, for you non-baseball fans.)

Sam Smith

Jun 1, 2002, 3:07:15 PM6/1/02
Mr. Mojave wrote:

Chicago would have an L-Series, after its elevated trains. Not that
that will ever happen, mind.

William Lynch

Jun 1, 2002, 3:58:30 PM6/1/02
"Mr. Mojave" wrote:

Yeah, right. If Shawn Green gets injured, the Dodgers
lose 110 games. Don't hold your breath.

Chris Aseltine

Jun 1, 2002, 4:28:46 PM6/1/02
William Lynch <bozo....@big.top> writes:

Or, 105 games.

Scott Nuzum

Jun 1, 2002, 6:11:55 PM6/1/02
You forgot the 1985 KC-St. Louis series, known as the I-70 Series, probably
the only Series played that was named after a specific road (Which sorta
makes this reply on topic).

S.E.N.
And, technically, the SF-Oak WS was the *Bay* Bridge Series, is it not?

Sandor G

Jun 1, 2002, 7:57:37 PM6/1/02
"Mr. Mojave" <mrmo...@nickmojave.com> wrote in message

You mean like a(n)....
I-70 series ('85 KC vs StL)
I-71 series (Cleveland vs Cincinnati)
I-95/Amtrack series ('83 Baltimore vs Philadelphia)
Turnpike Rivalry (Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh vs Cleveland)

--
Sandor G
Graduate - Ohio State, March 02

Mark

Jun 1, 2002, 8:07:24 PM6/1/02

> "Mr. Mojave" <mrmo...@nickmojave.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone else getting a little excited that this is probably the best
> > chance in over a decade for a Freeway Series in October? (NY-NY is
> > Subway Series, SF-Oak is Bridge Series, I don't know what Chicago is,

An impossibility ;-)

Charles W. Finley

Jun 1, 2002, 8:24:40 PM6/1/02

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message
and the NHL have the 401 series (Detroit Red Wings vs Toronto Maple Leafs)

Jim Ellwanger

Jun 1, 2002, 11:15:14 PM6/1/02
In article <3CF91B63...@uchicago.edu>, Sam Smith
<sas...@uchicago.edu> wrote:

Yes, I believe that would be the "Hell Freezes Over" series.

Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park have been on the same 'L' line since
1993. This year, there are Chicago Transit Authority "house ads"
posted saying, "What do Cubs and Sox fans have in common? The Red
Line." (I resisted the temptation to scratch the answer out and write
in "years of frustration" instead.)

--
Jim Ellwanger <trai...@mindspring.com>
<http://trainman1.home.mindspring.com/> takes a back seat to no one.

CountryNYR

Jun 2, 2002, 1:23:17 AM6/2/02
>And, technically, the SF-Oak WS was the *Bay* Bridge Series, is it not?

I think the "Seismograph Series" was more accurate!

Eric G.
Sandusky, OH/Long Island, NY

William Lynch

Jun 2, 2002, 5:58:03 AM6/2/02
CountryNYR wrote:

> >And, technically, the SF-Oak WS was the *Bay* Bridge Series, is it not?
>
> I think the "Seismograph Series" was more accurate!

Well, the epicenter of Loma Prieta was more than
60 miles south.

Jeff Kitsko

Jun 2, 2002, 10:44:32 AM6/2/02
IIRC, wasn't it also called the "Turnpike Series." At the time, I thought
they were referring to the Missouri Turnpike. Then I see a map and
discovered no toll road.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

"Scott Nuzum" <snu...@terraworld.net> wrote in message

Ming the Merciless

Jun 2, 2002, 3:36:04 PM6/2/02
C'mon, just because an El-Series hasn't happened since 1906 and neither team
has won a World Series since 1917...

"Sam Smith" <sas...@uchicago.edu> wrote in message

Hank Eisenstein

Jun 3, 2002, 7:49:53 PM6/3/02

"Ming the Merciless" <REMOVECAPSmi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> C'mon, just because an El-Series hasn't happened since 1906 and neither
team
> has won a World Series since 1917...

Nononono....in Chicago, it is 'The L' In New York, they are 'els'.
-Hank

Joe Galea

Jun 3, 2002, 11:10:15 PM6/3/02

"Charles W. Finley" <c...@gatecom.com> wrote in message

Uhhh, Carolina won the Eastern Conference, if you haven't been following the
news lately.

Joe Galea

Dan Garnell

Jun 4, 2002, 11:14:49 AM6/4/02

> Uhhh, Carolina won the Eastern Conference, if you haven't been following the
> news lately.

Consider this...what we have this year is the M-10 series. Confused?
Let me clarify.

The Hurricanes are owned by Pete Karmanos, who is also the chief at
Compuware, which is based in Farmington Hills, or the northwest end of
M-10. Then you've got the Red Wings, which play literally over the
southern terminus of M-10 in the J.L.A. Chew on that one for a while.

Dan Garnell

Sandor G

Jun 4, 2002, 11:59:13 AM6/4/02
"Dan Garnell" <djg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Plus Karmanos was also thinking of moving the (then) Hartford Whalers to
Detroit and have them play up at the Palace @ Auburn Hills. An IHL team did
(still does?) play up there and didn't effect attendance of the Red Wings.

> Dan Garnell

Mike St.

Jun 4, 2002, 3:03:58 PM6/4/02
Another hell freezing over freeway series:

Brewers and White Sox (both stadiums right off of I-94)

Hank Eisenstein

Jun 4, 2002, 9:55:02 PM6/4/02

"Sandor G" <bt...@bright.net> wrote in message
The whole reason the NHL Southeast Division EXISTS is so the team formerly
known as the Hartford Whalers could actually make the playoffs. Maybe
they'll realign again so the Rangers can get in.
-Hank

Dan Garnell

Jun 4, 2002, 11:38:05 PM6/4/02

> Plus Karmanos was also thinking of moving the (then) Hartford Whalers to
> Detroit and have them play up at the Palace @ Auburn Hills. An IHL team did
> (still does?) play up there and didn't effect attendance of the Red Wings.

The team in question, the Vipers, along w/ the IHL, yielded in 2000.

Dan Garnell

J. Robinson Mead

Jun 5, 2002, 12:41:39 AM6/5/02
> > Anyone else getting a little excited that this is probably the best
> > chance in over a decade for a Freeway Series in October? (NY-NY is
> > Subway Series, SF-Oak is Bridge Series, I don't know what Chicago is,
> > and LA-Ana is Freeway Series, for you non-baseball fans.)
>
> You mean like a(n)....
> I-70 series ('85 KC vs StL)
> I-71 series (Cleveland vs Cincinnati)
> I-95/Amtrack series ('83 Baltimore vs Philadelphia)
> Turnpike Rivalry (Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh vs Cleveland)

Shuttle Series (86 Bos / NYM)

Dan Garnell

Jun 5, 2002, 4:46:00 PM6/5/02

I have to throw this one in here. Those of you who are familiar with
Jim Rome's radio show know that he's coming to KC this Saturday for a
Tourstop. KC doesn't want anyone from StL coming in, & the clones
from those cities are calling each other out now. In essence, you
could call that an "I-70 Mizzou" series there. ;-)

Dan Garnell

Andrew Muck

Jun 6, 2002, 2:34:17 PM6/6/02
"Charles W. Finley" <c...@gatecom.com> wrote in message news:<ufipe06...@corp.supernews.com>...

In '99, the NHL Eastern Conference finals between Buffalo and Toronto
was called the QEW series.

Andrew Muck

Daniel Davis

Jun 6, 2002, 3:20:57 PM6/6/02

"Andrew Muck" <true...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Probably my favorite sports related nickname is for the local (Tampa and
Orlando) Arena Football League series. The war on I-4 (or the I-4 war).

There's almost certainly nicknames like this anywhere you go. I remember
there being a nickname for the rivalry between Atlanta's and Charlotte's NFL
teams when I lived in Charlotte but I can't remember what it was. Had
something to do with I-85 though for obvious reasons.

Daniel