Roads leaving state and returning?

George Grapman

Mar 25, 2003, 9:36:16 PM3/25/03
I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

--
To reply via e-mail please delete "NOSPAM" from address.

Craig Holl

Mar 25, 2003, 9:42:05 PM3/25/03
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

MN 23 cuts through Wisconsin for a short bit just south of Dututh. See:

http://www.geocities.com/xtremephotos/roads/odds.html
http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/r1-25.htm

--
Craig Holl
Mechanical Engineer; New Berlin, WI

Jesse Whidden

Mar 25, 2003, 9:47:01 PM3/25/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> posted:

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
>Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

It's a state route in Iowa (IA 165), but not in Nebraska.
--
Jesse Whidden - University of Nebraska student
Nebraska Roads: http://www.nebraskaroads.com/

Roadpic address: jwhidde...@cse.unl.edu
Remove CHEESE to reply...

Barry L. Camp

Mar 25, 2003, 10:08:13 PM3/25/03

"Craig Holl" <craigh...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> > Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>
> MN 23 cuts through Wisconsin for a short bit just south of Dututh. See:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/xtremephotos/roads/odds.html
> http://www.steve-riner.com/mnhighways/r1-25.htm

I knew someone was going to beat me to that one. :)

Here are some others:

US-2 and US-141 in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and Wisconsin. (Each
state has 2 segments of each highway; one of the Wisconsin segments is a
2/141 multiplex for the entire length.)
I-24 west of Chattanooga
I-684 in NY
NY-17 (Future I-86)

There are probably a handful of others, but these are the ones that came to
my mind right away.

Barry L. Camp
May cover US-2/141 again in, well... May. :)

Barry L. Camp

Mar 25, 2003, 10:09:35 PM3/25/03

"Jesse Whidden" <jwhidde...@unlnotes.unl.edu> wrote in message

> George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> posted:
>
> > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> >Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>
> It's a state route in Iowa (IA 165), but not in Nebraska.

It's Abbott Drive all the way through, both in Iowa and Nebraska.

Dan Garnell

Mar 25, 2003, 10:29:05 PM3/25/03

"George Grapman" <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

PA 426 ducks into the extreme western part of NYS as NY 426 & returns back
to the Keystone State as PA 426.

Dan

Arif Khokar

Mar 25, 2003, 10:40:14 PM3/25/03
George Grapman wrote:
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

US 460 from Giles Co., VA through Mercer Co., WV to Tazwell Co., VA (or
the otherway around if you prefer :)

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 25, 2003, 10:50:48 PM3/25/03
"George Grapman" <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message

I-86 starts in Pennsylvania, then goes into New York, and dips back into PA
in Bradford County then back to NY. PA 426 starts in Pennsylvania goes into
New York to become NY 426, and then re-emerging as PA 426 in Erie County.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

Michael Moroney

Mar 25, 2003, 11:35:08 PM3/25/03
Maine's Route 113 enters New Hampshire twice, once for about a half mile,
once for 5 miles. New Hampshire's Route 113B (which is a spur of Maine's
Route 113, not NH's Route 113) almost does it, it starts in Maine at
Route 113, heads west, then north to end almost exactly at one of the
spots where Maine 113 enters NH.

NH 153 enters Maine to go around a lake.

-Mike

Ben Kiene

Mar 26, 2003, 12:27:43 AM3/26/03

George Grapman wrote:

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

WY 70 crosses in and out of Colorado southwest of Encampment, WY.
Apparently, WyDOT maintains the mile or so of the road in Colorado.
Some maps show there being a town called Slater on the out of state
section of WY 70, but I don't know if there is actually much of anything
there. Slater does not appear on the DeLorme Colorado Atlas, though it
is in several North America road atlases.

Ben Kiene

Kevin Lagasse

Mar 26, 2003, 2:46:19 AM3/26/03
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<v826d0a...@corp.supernews.com>...

Heading north on I-684, the town order is North Castle, NY, Greenwich,
CT and North Castle, NY (again). It's the stretch between Exits 2
(Westchester County Airport) and 3.

There's also something about NY/CT route 120 running right along the
NY/CT border about where the Merritt Parkway (CT Route 15) ends at the
NY border (leaving Greenwich, CT).

Sherman Cahal

Mar 26, 2003, 6:27:30 AM3/26/03

"George Grapman" <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

WV/VA 311. It begins at the last half-interchange on Interstate 64 near
Crow/White Suplhur Springs then immediately crosses into Virginia for a
while, then skips back over to West Virginia before going into Virginia
again.

SP Cook

Mar 26, 2003, 7:35:03 AM3/26/03
Arif Khokar <akhok...@wvu.edu> wrote in message

Likewise, US 50 leaves Grant Co., WV through Garrett Co., MD back to
Preston Co., WV.

VA 311 leaves Alleghny Co., VA through Greenbrier Co., WV back to
Craig Co., VA.

Combined US 119/US 52 crosses the Mingo Co, WV/ Pike Co., KY border
four times for two short runs on the KY side twice before the town of
Williamson, WV, where it crosses it again, this time permanently.

SP Cook

Mike Roberson

Mar 26, 2003, 7:54:38 AM3/26/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E811237...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

In addition to US 460 cited above, Virginia also has:

1. VA 259
2. US 340
3. George Washington Memorial Parkway (dips into DC and back out)

Also:

1. NC 106 and GA 246 zig-zag the state line sw of Highlands
2. FL 2
3. SC 28 slips into Augusta GA as GA 28 and back into SC. Then later
becomes GA 28 in the mountains
4. US 50 Maryland
5. I-95 - leaves Virginia at west shore of Potomac River, passes
through a wedge of DC in the middle of the river, and continues back
into Maryland.
6. US 72 Tennessee
7. US 395 California
8. US 212 Wyoming

Mike
Virginia Highways Page
www.angelfire.com/va3/mapmikey/index

Rob Adams

Mar 26, 2003, 8:16:46 AM3/26/03
KML...@AOL.COM (Kevin Lagasse) wrote in message news:<5df048ff.03032...@posting.google.com>...

You're thinking of NY 120A, also known as King St. The northern end
starts in New York, enters Connecticut, stays there for about two
miles, then returns to NY for a mile, dips back into CT, then back
into NY. There's even a short stretch that has southbound traffic in
NY and northbound traffic in CT.

NY 120 comes very close to entering CT, right near Exit 2 of I684.
But to my knowledge, it never does actually enter it.

Rob Adams

Geoffrey William Hatchard

Mar 26, 2003, 9:15:44 AM3/26/03
Mike Roberson wrote...
> George Grapman wrote...

> > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> > Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

[snip]

> 2. FL 2

If you look at FL 2, you'll note that the road it lies on used to do a
double switch....from east to west in the Okefenokee Swamp area, it goes
from FL 2 to GA 94 to FL 2 to GA 94 again. One should note that it appears
that FL 2 may not be signed anymore on the Florida side near St. George, GA.
Can anyone confirm this?

[snip]

--
Geoff Hatchard
Cartography Graduate Student

H.B. Elkins

Mar 26, 2003, 10:32:09 AM3/26/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote:

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
>Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

Zillions!

I can think of US 50 -- WV-MD-WV-VA-DC-MD

US 460 -- VA-WV-VA

US 119 -- KY-WV-KY-WV-KY-WV

US 52 -- WV-KY-WV-KY-WV

SR 311 -- VA-WV-VA-WV

SR 259 -- VA-WV-VA
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins mailto:hbel...@mis.net or mailto:HB...@aol.com
http://www.millenniumhwy.net
http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Presnwap

Mar 26, 2003, 2:22:36 PM3/26/03
Future I-49 in and out of Arkansas (Texas).

Marc Fannin

Mar 26, 2003, 2:27:30 PM3/26/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote...

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

The FAQ has a question devoted to this:

http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#a122
"Which highways either just enter or just miss a state?"

(Any from this thread which are not in there which anyone would like to see there?)

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Kevin Flynn

Mar 26, 2003, 4:25:04 PM3/26/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E811237...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

Here's one that I find most interesting.

There is a road that leaves the state of Missouri, enters the
Commonwealth of Kentucky and then returns into Missouri ... all
without ever crossing the Mississippi River.

It is an unnamed local road that runs south off Mississippi County MO
Road 310 and goes over an old channel of the river into Carlisle
County, Kentucky, continues south, then turns west and returns to
Missouri near County Road 314.

J.P. Kirby

Mar 26, 2003, 5:28:40 PM3/26/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

Maine state route 113 enters New Hampshire for a couple miles before it
returns. New Hampshire state 153 does the same thing further to the south.

JPK

--
J.P. Kirby, Captain of all Obvious!
v5...@unb.ca jpk...@hotmail.com

mj...@duke.edu

Mar 26, 2003, 6:11:05 PM3/26/03
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Mike Roberson wrote:

> George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E811237...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...
> > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> > Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>
> In addition to US 460 cited above, Virginia also has:
>
> 1. VA 259
> 2. US 340
> 3. George Washington Memorial Parkway (dips into DC and back out)

where on earth does the GW parkway enter DC????

Barry L. Camp

Mar 26, 2003, 6:29:04 PM3/26/03

"Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote in message

> George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote...
>
> > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> > Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>
> The FAQ has a question devoted to this:
>
> http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#a122
> "Which highways either just enter or just miss a state?"
>
> (Any from this thread which are not in there which anyone would like to
see there?)

I think there is a very strong argument for MN-23 as the ONLY STATE HIGHWAY
to leave a state and return. The reason: when it enters Wisconsin, it is not
as WI-23 but as MN-23. Other highways are state highways of the state they
enter, and while they may or may not keep the same number, that's just not
the same thing.

I know of no other highway where this situation exists.

Barry L. Camp

Mar 26, 2003, 6:41:33 PM3/26/03

<mj...@duke.edu> wrote in message

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Mike Roberson wrote:
>

> where on earth does the GW parkway enter DC????

Just north of I-395, GW Parkway crosses the Boundary Channel onto the island
that is Lady Bird Johnson Memorial Park (directly across from Arlington
National Cemetery).That island, and the entire water channel, is part of the
District of Columbia.

J.P. Kirby

Mar 26, 2003, 6:50:18 PM3/26/03

> I think there is a very strong argument for MN-23 as the ONLY STATE
> HIGHWAY to leave a state and return. The reason: when it enters
> Wisconsin, it is not as WI-23 but as MN-23. Other highways are state
> highways of the state they enter, and while they may or may not keep
> the same number, that's just not the same thing.
>
> I know of no other highway where this situation exists.

The ME and NH examples I mentioned earlier (and Michael Moroney, now that I
see the replies) also do this.

Michael Moroney

Mar 26, 2003, 7:14:11 PM3/26/03
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> writes:

>I think there is a very strong argument for MN-23 as the ONLY STATE HIGHWAY
>to leave a state and return. The reason: when it enters Wisconsin, it is not
>as WI-23 but as MN-23. Other highways are state highways of the state they
>enter, and while they may or may not keep the same number, that's just not
>the same thing.

>I know of no other highway where this situation exists.

Not true. I know of the following that keep their home state's number
while out of its home state:

ME 113 (twice)
NH 113B
NH 153
NY 17 (it is maintained entirely by NY as well)
NY 120A

In at least the cases of ME 113, NH 153 and NY 17, the "other" state has
an entirely different route with the same number.

-Mike

Barry L. Camp

Mar 26, 2003, 8:05:27 PM3/26/03

"Michael Moroney" <mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com> wrote in message

Interesting. And enlightening. Thanks.

I wonder: are there "Welcome To..." signs and shields on any of these roads?

I was in the Duluth area in May of last year. MN-23 has no shields in
Wisconsin, and there are no "Welcome" signs for either state there. There is
very little visible evidence that one has even crossed state lines.

Michael Moroney

Mar 26, 2003, 11:04:33 PM3/26/03
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> writes:

>I wonder: are there "Welcome To..." signs and shields on any of these roads?

On NY 17/future I-86 eastbound there is a sign that simply says "STATE LINE"
when entering Pennsylvania. I think one or two (not all 4) of the ME
113 crossings are marked. I know the north crossing of NH 153 is
marked only with the old style Maine town line marker (a square pole with
the town names written down it vertically) I think the south crossing
is unmarked.

-Mike

N. W. Perry

Mar 26, 2003, 11:44:47 PM3/26/03
In article <b5tt8h$en0$2...@pcls4.std.com>,
mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) wrote:

> On NY 17/future I-86 eastbound there is a sign that simply says "STATE LINE"
> when entering Pennsylvania. I think one or two (not all 4) of the ME
> 113 crossings are marked. I know the north crossing of NH 153 is
> marked only with the old style Maine town line marker (a square pole with
> the town names written down it vertically) I think the south crossing
> is unmarked.

"STATE BORDER" is the actual wording. There are also signs reminding
motorists of the cell-phone prohibition in NYS at the border points
(because there is an interchange on the PA stretch). This seems to
indicate that the NY law does not apply on the PA stretch of NY 17.

Trent

Mar 26, 2003, 11:49:13 PM3/26/03
"Geoffrey William Hatchard" <hatchardR...@NOSPAM.psu.GRRRRR.edu> wrote in message news:<b5scn7$nvv$1...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>...

> Mike Roberson wrote...
> > George Grapman wrote...
> > > I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> > > Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>
> [snip]
>
> > 2. FL 2
>
> If you look at FL 2, you'll note that the road it lies on used to do a
> double switch....from east to west in the Okefenokee Swamp area, it goes
> from FL 2 to GA 94 to FL 2 to GA 94 again. One should note that it appears
> that FL 2 may not be signed anymore on the Florida side near St. George, GA.
> Can anyone confirm this?

Don't know that for sure, but I believe FL 2 is still under state
control west of the thumb but is no longer east of the thumb (or
whatever it's called??).

Don't forget GA 246 SHOULD be like this, but GDOT maintains a small
part in NC. GA/SC 28 re-emerges twice-it leaves NC (also as 28),
enters GA in Rabun County, enters SC in Oconee County, re-enters near
Augusta, GA and leaves again into SC just to the south of Augusta. I
once traveled parts of this route on the way to Jekyll.

> [snip]

Kevin Flynn

Mar 27, 2003, 12:15:35 AM3/27/03
"J.P. Kirby" <jpk...@nbnet.nb.ac> wrote in message news:<Xns934AC992F16FB...@198.164.200.20>...

> "Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>

> > I think there is a very strong argument for MN-23 as the ONLY STATE
> > HIGHWAY to leave a state and return. The reason: when it enters
> > Wisconsin, it is not as WI-23 but as MN-23. Other highways are state
> > highways of the state they enter, and while they may or may not keep
> > the same number, that's just not the same thing.
> >
> > I know of no other highway where this situation exists.
>
> The ME and NH examples I mentioned earlier (and Michael Moroney, now that I
> see the replies) also do this.
>
> JPK

Also, would not the case of I-684 -- already cited in this thread --
fit this definition as well? ISTR that NY maintains the entire stretch
that runs for a little more than a mile through the corner of CT.
There is no access within CT.

Barry L. Camp

Mar 27, 2003, 2:14:40 AM3/27/03

"Kevin Flynn" <fly...@rockymountainnews.com> wrote in message

Well, it fits the definition of leaving and returning into a state. But
there are no issues in dispute with Interstates or US highways leaving and
returning into a state. Interstates are the same highway anyway.

What J.P. & I were discussing were State highways. For a State Highway to
leave and return into a state, it has to be continued in the neighboring
state under the same designation. By their very definition, It is extremely
rare (and generally not supposed to happen) for a state highway to exist as
such in another state. Normally, state roads "end" at their borders; and
neighboring states may or may not continue to carry the same number. So,
while there may be a continuation of the same physical road, the designation
ends. For example, Michigan's M-51 becomes Indiana's SR-933 at the state
line. Same road, but two different highways.

In the Maine example cited above, Maine's Route 113 enters New Hampshire,
but does not become NH-113. It is STILL Maine Route 113, even though it is
physically located in the state of New Hampshire. My MN-23 example is the
same way. It cuts through a tiny corner of Wisconsin, but it is still MN-23.

Interstate and US routes, by their very definition, are not subject to any
designation changes at state lines, so for I-684 there is no issue. Hope
that makes things less muddled, at least.

Barry L. Camp
Will travel the MI/WI US-2/141 multiplex as is goes from MI to WI to MI
again in May.

Oscar Voss

Mar 27, 2003, 9:08:28 AM3/27/03
George Grapman wrote:

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

If you don't mind extending this into Canada, the Alaska Highway weaves
in and out of the Yukon at its border with British Columbia, crossing
into the Yukon first at mile 566, then crossing back and forth across
the border five more times until its final crossing into the Yukon at
mile 751.

At some point in the middle of this 185-mile stretch, what little route
signage there is (as well as maintenance responsibilty) changes from BC
97 to Yukon 1 and stays there, though I'm not sure exactly where
(probably the crossing east of Watson Lake YT, at mile 607 -- there's
one more dip back into BC west of there, between miles 710 and 751, but
it's completely isolated from the rest of BC, so it'd be much easier for
Yukon to take charge of that segment).

--
Oscar Voss - ov...@erols.com - Arlington, Virginia

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/

Bermjoon Kim

Mar 27, 2003, 1:44:10 PM3/27/03
ME 113 cuts into N.H. for quite a while then returns to Maine. also NH 113
cuts into a part of Maine.. then returns to New Hampshire. Kinda strange,
huh?

"George Grapman" <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

George Grapman

Mar 27, 2003, 4:24:42 PM3/27/03

Kevin Flynn wrote:

> Also, would not the case of I-684 -- already cited in this thread --
> fit this definition as well? ISTR that NY maintains the entire stretch
> that runs for a little more than a mile through the corner of CT.
> There is no access within CT.

What happens if you get a ticket there?

Kevin Flynn

Mar 27, 2003, 5:01:46 PM3/27/03
"Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<v85973a...@corp.supernews.com>...

> "Kevin Flynn" <fly...@rockymountainnews.com> wrote in message
> > Also, would not the case of I-684 -- already cited in this thread --
> > fit this definition as well? ISTR that NY maintains the entire stretch
> > that runs for a little more than a mile through the corner of CT.
> > There is no access within CT.
>
> Well, it fits the definition of leaving and returning into a state. But
> there are no issues in dispute with Interstates or US highways leaving and
> returning into a state. Interstates are the same highway anyway.
>
> What J.P. & I were discussing were State highways. For a State Highway to
> leave and return into a state, it has to be continued in the neighboring
> state under the same designation. By their very definition, It is extremely
> rare (and generally not supposed to happen) for a state highway to exist as
> such in another state. Normally, state roads "end" at their borders; and
> neighboring states may or may not continue to carry the same number. So,
> while there may be a continuation of the same physical road, the designation
> ends. For example, Michigan's M-51 becomes Indiana's SR-933 at the state
> line. Same road, but two different highways.
>
> In the Maine example cited above, Maine's Route 113 enters New Hampshire,
> but does not become NH-113. It is STILL Maine Route 113, even though it is
> physically located in the state of New Hampshire. My MN-23 example is the
> same way. It cuts through a tiny corner of Wisconsin, but it is still MN-23.
>
> Interstate and US routes, by their very definition, are not subject to any
> designation changes at state lines, so for I-684 there is no issue. Hope
> that makes things less muddled, at least.

The original question posed by the person starting this thread did not
limit the responses the way you suggest. Under "Roads leaving state
and returning" he said: "I know that the road from downtown Omaha to

the airport runs into
Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?"

I think I-684 fits this particularly because there is no CT
maintenance at all on the mile or so stretch that runs through
Connecticut. I believe that NY considers it part of the NY state
highway system even though it is outside NY boundaries, so it is still
considered NY/I-684 even inside Connecticut (all interstate and US
highways are classified as "state highways" within Colorado and I
suspect other state DOTs classify them the same way).

John David Galt

Mar 27, 2003, 7:17:09 PM3/27/03
George Grapman wrote:
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

How about candidates for the longest such out-of-state stretch?

I nominate US 395, which spends around 100 miles in Nevada between its
southern Sierra section (which includes Bishop, CA, the end of US 6) and
a northern section near Susanville, CA. It goes through Reno in between.

mj...@duke.edu

Mar 27, 2003, 7:41:56 PM3/27/03

No it doesn't fwhich was the conclusion from a thread we had last year. I
was driving back to Long Island from Corning, and specifically waited
until that section of NY 17 to call home to give an ETA....and then slowed
down to make sure I ended my call before I hit the other state line....

John R Cambron

Mar 27, 2003, 8:44:06 PM3/27/03

George Grapman wrote:

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?
>

> --
> To reply via e-mail please delete "NOSPAM" from address.

DE-54, not only does this road pass thruogh both states twice
it is marked as 54 in both states with the east end in Delaware
and the west end in Maryland.

DE-54 east end Fenwick Island Delaware at DE-1 about 50' north of
the MD DE state line. West end MD-54 in Mardala Springs Maryland
at MD US-50. DE-54 enters Maryland south of Gumboro Delaware and
becomes MD-54. MD-54 runs along the south side of the MD DE state
line from MD-353 to the west side of Delmar Maryland. reenters
Delaware as DE-54 to northsouth MD DE state line the reenters
Maryland as MD-54 to Mardala Springs Maryland.

Ever wanted one of these John R Cambron
http://205.130.220.18/~cambronj/wmata/ or North Beach MD USA
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/ camb...@chesapeake.net

Steve M.

Mar 27, 2003, 9:19:42 PM3/27/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

My nominations:
US-50 (WV and MD)
I-86 (runs via PA-NY-PA-NY)
NJ/NY/NJ-440 - southern terminus is in NJ. Crosses into New York, runs a
few miles, then crosses back into New Jersey.

H.B. Elkins

Mar 28, 2003, 11:37:06 AM3/28/03
John David Galt <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>How about candidates for the longest such out-of-state stretch?
>
>I nominate US 395, which spends around 100 miles in Nevada between its
>southern Sierra section (which includes Bishop, CA, the end of US 6) and
>a northern section near Susanville, CA. It goes through Reno in between.

How far is it on US 50 from Gormania, WV (where US 50 enters from
Maryland) to Washington, DC, where US 50 re-enters Maryland?

Marc Fannin

Mar 28, 2003, 1:43:47 PM3/28/03
fly...@rockymountainnews.com (Kevin Flynn) wrote...

> "Barry L. Camp" <blc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message...
>
> > "Kevin Flynn" <fly...@rockymountainnews.com> wrote...

Generally, yes. There are very few federally-maintained highways
(usually these are within federal lands). See
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=f8a63fc92865796a [took me FOREVER
to find that] It's the ambiguity of the term "state highway"
(state-numbered vs. state-maintained).

BTW, I'm going to add a link to this thread at Google Groups to the
respective FAQ question.

Larry

Mar 28, 2003, 3:47:56 PM3/28/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E811237...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...
> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

Nobody's really mentioned this one much (I think Barry Camp alluded to
it in a signature), but US-2 does enter "Da U.P." from Wisconsin at
Ironwood, MI, then later (while multiplexed with US-141) dips into
Wisconsin for a few miles before re-entering Da U.P.

David J. Greenberger

Mar 28, 2003, 4:53:49 PM3/28/03

http://plover.net/~green/?ny17-state-border
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY

David J. Greenberger

Mar 28, 2003, 4:53:51 PM3/28/03
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> writes:

> I-86 starts in Pennsylvania, then goes into New York, and dips back into PA
> in Bradford County then back to NY.

It's not I-86 yet by the dip -- it's only NY 17. But it's NY 17 even in
Pennsylvania.

Eventually it will be as you describe.

Barry L. Camp

Mar 28, 2003, 7:47:01 PM3/28/03

"Larry" <harv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Actually I did, very early on (Tuesday, March 25, 2003 10:08 PM). I'll paste
that one in here:

US-2 and US-141 in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and Wisconsin. (Each
state has 2 segments of each highway; one of the Wisconsin segments is a
2/141 multiplex for the entire length.)

I-24 west of Chattanooga
I-684 in NY
NY-17 (Future I-86)

There are probably a handful of others, but these are the ones that came to
my mind right away.

Barry L. Camp
May cover US-2/141 again in, well... May. :)

Jeff Kitsko

Mar 28, 2003, 9:12:38 PM3/28/03
"David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> writes:
>
> > I-86 starts in Pennsylvania, then goes into New York, and dips back into
PA
> > in Bradford County then back to NY.
>
> It's not I-86 yet by the dip -- it's only NY 17. But it's NY 17 even in
> Pennsylvania.
>
> Eventually it will be as you describe.

I should have said, "In 2017,...:-)" I called it all 86, since most will
notice the big Interstate shields on the map and not a little 17 in a
circle.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/
Ohio Highways: http://www.ohhighways.com/

Matthew D. Jones

Mar 28, 2003, 11:13:09 PM3/28/03

> Kevin Flynn wrote:
>

> > Also, would not the case of I-684 -- already cited in this thread --
> > fit this definition as well? ISTR that NY maintains the entire stretch
> > that runs for a little more than a mile through the corner of CT.
> > There is no access within CT.
>
> What happens if you get a ticket there?

I'm not positive about this, but I think there may be an interstate compact
or agreement that permits New York State Troopers to enforce NYS traffic
laws on this stretch of I-684. I presume that all other CT laws apply in
full force.

mj...@duke.edu

Mar 29, 2003, 12:59:52 AM3/29/03

I would assume that NYS troopers patrol the road, but I doubt they can
enforce a NYS law (where no similar law in CT exists) if they are not in
NYS.

Like NY 17, i'm assuming that I can make a quick cell phone call on this
mile long segment of road.

David J. Greenberger

Mar 31, 2003, 6:18:22 PM3/31/03
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> writes:

> "David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote in message
> > "Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> writes:
> >
> > > I-86 starts in Pennsylvania, then goes into New York, and dips back into
> PA
> > > in Bradford County then back to NY.
> >
> > It's not I-86 yet by the dip -- it's only NY 17. But it's NY 17 even in
> > Pennsylvania.
> >
> > Eventually it will be as you describe.
>
> I should have said, "In 2017,...:-)" I called it all 86, since most will
> notice the big Interstate shields on the map and not a little 17 in a
> circle.

If your map shows a big Interstate shield on NY 17 at the dip, then your
map is wrong.

(And if your map shows a little 17 in a circle, then your map is
misguided. This is NY 17, not NJ 17.)

Kevin Flynn

Apr 1, 2003, 2:16:54 PM4/1/03
George Grapman <sfge...@NOSPAMpacbell.net> wrote in message news:<3E811237...@NOSPAMpacbell.net>...

> I know that the road from downtown Omaha to the airport runs into
> Carter Lake, Iowa and then returns to Nebraska. Any others?

Looking at a map for an unrelated reason, I noticed that US-191 going
north out of West Yellowstone MT zags into Wyoming for a short stretch
before re-entering Montana. It's about three miles.

Ron Newman

Apr 2, 2003, 3:53:35 PM4/2/03
In article <he9jw2...@email.com>,

"David J. Greenberger" <dav...@email.com> wrote:

> If your map shows a big Interstate shield on NY 17 at the dip, then your
> map is wrong.
>
> (And if your map shows a little 17 in a circle, then your map is
> misguided. This is NY 17, not NJ 17.)

Most maps show all state routes as numbers in a circle, regardless of
what state they are in.

Jeff Kitsko

Apr 2, 2003, 7:20:25 PM4/2/03
"Ron Newman" <rne...@thecia.net> wrote in message

The map I was referring to is actually the tourism edition that New York
state sends out, which is a Rand McNally copy. I am glad that I didn't say
it was the PENNDOT map I used, or it'd be MA 17 :-). Only ADC prints maps
with the actual state route shields.

Again, the reason I called it I-86 is because most people would know or find
out on the Internet where it is located than NY 17. If I said "I-86 leaves
PA and returns as NY 17" people not familiar with the Northeast might get
confused.

George Grapman

Apr 3, 2003, 6:41:27 PM4/3/03
Does not involve state lines but there is an enclave in the Bronx that
can only be accessed from Westchester County.

Emi Melissa Briet

Apr 3, 2003, 7:54:16 PM4/3/03
Technically, I-684 in NY "pulls an I-86", dipping a bit into CT.. ;) I
remember a case along I-684 where there was an accident and NY cops rushed
to the scene only to find that the section of I-684 was actually in CT! A
CT statie had to go all the way around and report to the accident. *heh*

--
Emi Melissa Briet -- Kawaii techie-chan and DDR Maniac! ^.^v
Keep your ear to the radio, and keep hot water with you at all times!

JimK65

Apr 3, 2003, 9:41:09 PM4/3/03
I-24 Leaves Tennessee just west of Chattanooga in to the Northwest Corner of
Georgia for about 5 miles and 2 exits, one of them being the Northern terminus
of I-59.

Jim K. Georges

Ernest Cline

Apr 4, 2003, 2:57:48 PM4/4/03
While not quite the same as the other cases given here, my favorite is
GA/SC/GA/SC 28. This road keeps the same number as it crosses back and forth
across the Savannah River.