Interstate shield on the pavement in Baltimore

Mayer Samuels

Jun 20, 2004, 10:10:32 PM6/20/04
Last week, I was driving northbound (to Towson from I-70) on I-695 in
the Pikesville area near Baltimore. As I was approaching the ramp for
I-795 expressway to Reisterstown, I noticed that the Interstate 795
shield was painted on the pavement of the right lane of 695, using
red, white, and blue paint.

This discovery really shocked me. I had never seen anything like this
before.

Does anybody know anything about this? When was this put in place?

Is this a standard practice in Maryland? Is this experimental?

Are there similar markings in other areas?

Thanks,

Mayer

Clayton Bigsby

Jun 21, 2004, 1:17:19 AM6/21/04

There's an I-635 sign painted on the roadway in the left lanes on northbound
I-35 in Overland Park, KS.

Larry Harvilla

Jun 21, 2004, 1:12:20 AM6/21/04
"Mayer Samuels" <mayers...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The so-called "West Split" near downtown Columbus, OH, features shields
painted on the pavement as well; however, these are all done using only
white paint. Lanes are marked along I-70 in both directions telling you
which highway a particular lane will put you on: continuing on I-70,
breaking off to I-71 SB, or breaking off to SR 315 NB.

These were painted only about a year ago, as part of ODOT's effort to
improve conditions at the West Split. During rush hour, in particular, this
is a highly congested and accident-prone area, as certain traffic movements
(ISTR I-70 EB to I-71 SB as at least one) require drivers to cross two or
more lanes within ź mile.

--
Larry Harvilla
E-mail: roads AT phatpage DOT org

also visit: http://www.phatpage.org/
Highways section in progress.

scroob

Jun 21, 2004, 3:10:21 AM6/21/04
mayers...@hotmail.com (Mayer Samuels) wrote in

> Is this a standard practice in Maryland? Is this experimental?

I clearly remember this as a young child growing up in DC. I can see in my
mind's eye a US 50 shield painted on the pavement. I don't know if this was
in DC or Maryland. This would have been in the 1950s.

Marc Fannin

Jun 21, 2004, 4:42:51 PM6/21/04
mayers...@hotmail.com (Mayer Samuels) wrote...

> Last week, I was driving northbound (to Towson from I-70) on I-695 in
> the Pikesville area near Baltimore. As I was approaching the ramp for
> I-795 expressway to Reisterstown, I noticed that the Interstate 795
> shield was painted on the pavement of the right lane of 695, using

> red, white, and blue paint. [snip] Are there similar markings in other areas?

The Ohio DOT just painted a "44" (no shield, just the numbers) in a
left-turn lane on SR 84 eastbound outside Painesville to emphasize
that the lane now only serves the SR 44 northbound ramp and not both
the ramp and the street just beyond the ramp as had been the case
until recently (the street still has a left-turn lane, but it is
separate now from the one for the 44 onramp). A photo is (for now) at
http://www.roadfan.com/temp2/8444LTL.JPG , c. 200K (also notice the
supplemental sign which also gives notice to the new configuration,
which was there along with another further back before the pavement
marking was).

ISTR reading on this group that the above practice is also common in
London, England, on more complex roundabouts where the driver leaves
them (also with no shields, as Great Britain doesn't use them per se,
at least not ones as elaborate as those in the U.S.).

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Nick C

Jun 21, 2004, 7:41:09 PM6/21/04
I've seen that marking on the Beltway too. It makes things more clear for
drivers but I wonder how often they have to repaint it.

By the way, the photo from Marc is close, but the one in Baltimore is the
whole Interstate shield, not just the numbers.

"Marc Fannin" <musx...@kent.edu> wrote in message

NCC31911

Jun 21, 2004, 9:28:00 PM6/21/04

In downtown Orlando, there are painted I-4 shields on the pavement as South
Street approaches I-4.

magyar

Jun 22, 2004, 12:40:30 AM6/22/04
"Larry Harvilla" <ro...@NOSPAM.phatpage.org> wrote in message

And aproaching the east I-70/71 split as well
www.roadfan.com/strpant.JPG

> --
> Larry Harvilla
> E-mail: roads AT phatpage DOT org
>
> also visit: http://www.phatpage.org/
> Highways section in progress.

Sandor G
--
"I'ma low pay daddy singin' th' high price blues."
--Corey Harris singing Woody Guthrie

John R Cambron

Jun 22, 2004, 2:01:21 AM6/22/04

Nick C wrote:

> I've seen that marking on the Beltway too. It makes things more clear for
> drivers but I wonder how often they have to repaint it.

They likely use the same plastic type paint used for pedestrian
zebra crossings and direction arrows.

> By the way, the photo from Marc is close, but the one in Baltimore is the
> whole Interstate shield, not just the numbers.

Ever wanted one of these John R Cambron
http://205.130.220.18/~cambronj/wmata/ or >>>Hebron<<< MD USA
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/ camb...@chesapeake.net

Larry Harvilla

Jun 22, 2004, 6:42:28 PM6/22/04
"magyar" <roa...@copper.net> wrote in message

> "Larry Harvilla" <ro...@NOSPAM.phatpage.org> wrote in message
> >
> > The so-called "West Split" near downtown Columbus, OH, features shields
> > painted on the pavement as well; however, these are all done using only
> > white paint. Lanes are marked along I-70 in both directions telling you
> > which highway a particular lane will put you on: continuing on I-70,
> > breaking off to I-71 SB, or breaking off to SR 315 NB.
> >
> > These were painted only about a year ago, as part of ODOT's effort to
> > improve conditions at the West Split. During rush hour, in particular,
> this
> > is a highly congested and accident-prone area, as certain traffic
> movements
> > (ISTR I-70 EB to I-71 SB as at least one) require drivers to cross two
or
> > more lanes within ź mile.
>
> And aproaching the east I-70/71 split as well
> www.roadfan.com/strpant.JPG

Excellent picture, Sandor. :-)

I do think you'd have to agree, though, that things are worse going
eastbound at the "west split" than they are going westbound at the "east
split." Westbound I-70 traffic joins the Innerbelt on the right, and stays
right beyond the SR 315/I-71 split; likewise, I-71 traffic enters to the
left, and exits the Innerbelt left. Going east, though, I-70 traffic must
enter the Innerbelt on the left and exit it right; while northbound I-71
traffic enters right and exits left.

John Brocato

Jun 22, 2004, 8:58:30 PM6/22/04
ncc3...@aol.com (NCC31911) wrote in message news:<20040621212800...@mb-m03.aol.com>...

> >Last week, I was driving northbound (to Towson from I-70) on I-695 in
> >the Pikesville area near Baltimore. As I was approaching the ramp for
> >I-795 expressway to Reisterstown, I noticed that the Interstate 795
> >shield was painted on the pavement of the right lane of 695, using
> >red, white, and blue paint.
> >
> >This discovery really shocked me. I had never seen anything like this
> >before.
> >
> >Does anybody know anything about this? When was this put in place?
> >
> >Is this a standard practice in Maryland? Is this experimental?
> >
> >Are there similar markings in other areas?

On eastbound Manchester (MO 100) in Des Peres, the exit-only lanes for
I-270 have I-270 shields painted on them.

John Brocato

H.B. Elkins

Jun 23, 2004, 11:55:17 AM6/23/04
john_b...@yahoo.com (John Brocato) wrote:

Not actual interstate shields, but there are big numbers -- 64 and 77
-- at the split of these two interstates south of Beckley.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

C.R. Hinners

Jun 24, 2004, 10:17:39 AM6/24/04
Mayer Samuels wrote:
> Last week, I was driving northbound (to Towson from I-70) on I-695 in
> the Pikesville area near Baltimore. As I was approaching the ramp for
> I-795 expressway to Reisterstown, I noticed that the Interstate 795
> shield was painted on the pavement of the right lane of 695, using
> red, white, and blue paint.

I saw this the other day too. It is the first of its kind that I have
seen in Maryland. I was a bit suprised, as such "experimental" traffic
control devices are typically seen on the roads in the vicinity of the
SHA's Office of Traffic and Safety in Hanover (near BWI).

I live a few miles from where this is and would like to get a picture.
Unfortunately, there is only one overpass in the vicinity of this
marking (Old Court Road over I-695), and I do not think it is close
enough to see the marking.

Matthew E. Salek

Jun 30, 2004, 11:54:58 PM6/30/04
In article <d15ee53b.04062...@posting.google.com>,
mayers...@hotmail.com (Mayer Samuels) wrote:

Unless it's an approved experiment they have something there going
against the MUTCD. Blue is allowed only for handicap parking and
marking fire hydrant locations, and red is only for roads not to be
entered (i.e. the back side of Botts Dots on one-way arrows). They
should have gone with white text which is what is in the MUTCD.

I-35/80 SB has white "I-80 ONLY" in the exit only lanes approaching
their split west of Des Moines.

--
Matthew E. Salek, E.I. ** Spam filter in use. Remove numbers **
Aurora, Colorado ** from address to e-mail reply. **