Interstate World Series games

Lepidopteran

Oct 20, 2004, 8:26:15 PM10/20/04
The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?

I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
route, rather than I-95. Now if a NY team or the Red Sox were
involved, could you still call it an I-95 series before the infamous
NJ gap is filled?

A Series between the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds would
be an "I-71 Series", though I have a feeling it would be called an
"Ohio Series".

How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 20, 2004, 8:29:27 PM10/20/04
Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:

> The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
> Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
> named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?
>
> I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
> Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
> route, rather than I-95.

It was also called the "I-95 World Series", I recall.

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 20, 2004, 8:51:27 PM10/20/04
"Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message

> The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
> Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
> named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?

I thought I recalled them calling it a "Turnpike Series." So much so, the
first road atlas I saw I tried to find the "Missouri Turnpike" but just saw
a blue line.

> I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
> Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
> route, rather than I-95. Now if a NY team or the Red Sox were
> involved, could you still call it an I-95 series before the infamous
> NJ gap is filled?
>
> A Series between the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds would
> be an "I-71 Series", though I have a feeling it would be called an
> "Ohio Series".
>
> How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?

No, it does not. The only Pennsylvania Turnpike System highway that will
enter will be the Mon-Fayette Expressway, in another 10-15 years.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/

william lynch

Oct 20, 2004, 9:21:11 PM10/20/04
in article 1098318318.H9YEbc3St1lIMHGsABP84w@teranews, Lepidopteran at
Lepidop...@aol.com wrote on 10/20/04 5:26 PM:

1989 was called the "Bay Bridge Series", until October 18. Then it
became simply the Earthquake Series.

Rich Piehl

Oct 20, 2004, 10:25:42 PM10/20/04
Jeff Kitsko wrote:
> "Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
>>Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
>>named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?
>

> I thought I recalled them calling it a "Turnpike Series." So much so, the
> first road atlas I saw I tried to find the "Missouri Turnpike" but just saw
> a blue line.

Nope. Definitely the I-70 series...

...when Don Denkinger blew the call at first base and opened the floodgates.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy."

---Fred Allen---

joe....@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2004, 10:46:52 PM10/20/04
Well, who could forget the 1984 "I-75/I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15 Series"
between the Detroit Tigers and the San Diego Padres?

Charles W. Finley

Oct 20, 2004, 11:19:54 PM10/20/04
we almost had the I-94 Series between the Tigers and Cubs in 1984. if they
was naming series after Roads in 1940, the 1940 World Series would had been
the US-25 Series.

william lynch

Oct 21, 2004, 1:38:53 AM10/21/04
in article 1098326812....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
joe....@gmail.com at joe....@gmail.com wrote on 10/20/04 7:46 PM:

> Well, who could forget the 1984 "I-75/I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15 Series"
> between the Detroit Tigers and the San Diego Padres?

Why did they need the I-76 and I-70 parts? I-80 meets I-15.

william lynch

Oct 21, 2004, 1:41:14 AM10/21/04
in article uVFdd.93$mf...@fe39.usenetserver.com, Charles W. Finley at
c...@gatecom.com wrote on 10/20/04 8:19 PM:

So what highway connection could we have made between the possible
"End of the World" Series between the Cubs and Red Sox in 2003?

Steve

Oct 21, 2004, 1:51:48 AM10/21/04
william lynch wrote:

90

--
Steve
GO JETS! basketball SUCKS! hockey SUCKS WORSE!

Keith

Oct 21, 2004, 9:25:52 AM10/21/04
"joe....@gmail.com" <joe....@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1098326812....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...

> Well, who could forget the 1984 "I-75/I-80/I-76/I-70/I-15 Series"
> between the Detroit Tigers and the San Diego Padres?

Joe, that was totally lame and gay.

Kevin Flynn

Oct 21, 2004, 10:29:18 AM10/21/04
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote in message news:<jKDdd.430456$Fg5.386323@attbi_s53>...

> "Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message
(snip)

> > How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> > Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> > league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?
>
> No, it does not. The only Pennsylvania Turnpike System highway that will
> enter will be the Mon-Fayette Expressway, in another 10-15 years.

Nor does the turnpike actually enter the city and county of
Philadelphia, IIRC. No matter on either end IMO because the point is
that the fans would by preponderance likely use the TP and the
principal trunk to get from one venue to the other.

Kevin Flynn

Oct 21, 2004, 3:15:11 PM10/21/04
william lynch <x@y.z> wrote in message news:<BD9C9978.3E31%x@y.z>...

Because not only is it shorter (by 63 miles) to use I-76/I-70 through
Colorado and more beautiful to boot, you get the bonus of nhot having
to go through Wyoming at all ;-}

Andrew Tompkins

Oct 21, 2004, 5:03:27 PM10/21/04
"Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote in message
> "Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
> > Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
> > named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?
>
> I thought I recalled them calling it a "Turnpike Series." So much so, the
> first road atlas I saw I tried to find the "Missouri Turnpike" but just saw
> a blue line.

I, sometimes, hear this one referred to as the "Missouri Mule Series", also for the
rail line between the cities.

> > I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
> > Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
> > route, rather than I-95. Now if a NY team or the Red Sox were
> > involved, could you still call it an I-95 series before the infamous
> > NJ gap is filled?
> >

> Jeff Kitsko

--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins
Software Engineer
Beaverton, OR
http://home.comcast.net/~andytom/Highways

989...@msn.com

Oct 21, 2004, 6:13:03 PM10/21/04
Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<1098318318.H9YEbc3St1lIMHGsABP84w@teranews>...

Let's try THIS! What would you name a series between the Toronto Blue
Jays and the Montreal Expos? Hmmm?

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 21, 2004, 6:22:44 PM10/21/04
k_f...@lycos.com (Kevin Flynn) wrote:

> "Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote:

> > "Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
> < (snip)
> > > How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> > > Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> > > league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?
> >
> > No, it does not. The only Pennsylvania Turnpike System highway that will
> > enter will be the Mon-Fayette Expressway, in another 10-15 years.
>
> Nor does the turnpike actually enter the city and county of
> Philadelphia, IIRC. No matter on either end IMO because the point is
> that the fans would by preponderance likely use the TP and the
> principal trunk to get from one venue to the other.

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 21, 2004, 6:28:16 PM10/21/04
k_f...@lycos.com (Kevin Flynn) wrote:

> "Jeff Kitsko" <webm...@tollspahighways.com> wrote:
> > "Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> > > Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> > > league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?
> >
> > No, it does not. The only Pennsylvania Turnpike System highway that will
> > enter will be the Mon-Fayette Expressway, in another 10-15 years.
>
> Nor does the turnpike actually enter the city and county of
> Philadelphia, IIRC. No matter on either end IMO because the point is
> that the fans would by preponderance likely use the TP and the
> principal trunk to get from one venue to the other.

Correct, the PA Turnpike does not enter the city and county of
Philadelphia; the I-76 Schuylkill Expressway connects the PA Turnpike to
central Philadelphia and comes within a mile of the sports complex.

Likewise the I-376 Penn-Lincoln Parkway connects the PA Turnpike to
central Pittsburgh and comes within a mile of their sports complex.

So, the Turnpike and urban freeway branches effectively connect the
Pirates and the Phillies.

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 21, 2004, 6:33:23 PM10/21/04
989...@msn.com wrote:

> Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> > Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> > league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?
>
> Let's try THIS! What would you name a series between the Toronto Blue
> Jays and the Montreal Expos? Hmmm?

There won't be one... in 2005 and onward the Montreal Expos will be
located in Washington, D.C., and it was announced that the team will be
renamed.

Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
(leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
name.

bad...@inc.org

Oct 21, 2004, 6:51:53 PM10/21/04
In article <bf3bf8b3.04102...@posting.google.com>,

<989...@msn.com> wrote:
>Let's try THIS! What would you name a series between the Toronto Blue
>Jays and the Montreal Expos? Hmmm?

You've got me stumped on this. I canuck think of anything.

Mitsguy2001

Oct 21, 2004, 7:02:04 PM10/21/04
>Subject: Interstate World Series games
>From: Lepidopteran Lepidop...@aol.com
>Date: 10/20/2004 8:26 PM Eastern Standard Time

>The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
>Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
>named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?
>
>I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
>Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
>route, rather than I-95. Now if a NY team or the Red Sox were
>involved, could you still call it an I-95 series before the infamous
>NJ gap is filled?

I don't think they would call it the I-95 series, especially if the Red Sox are
involved. Even after the I-95 / PA Turnpike connection is completed, I doubt
that anyone would take I-95 all the way from Baltimore to NY or Boston; most
would probably use the Delaware Memorial Bridge and New Jersey Turnpike, rather
than I-95 through Wilmington and Philly. Also, I-95 doesn't actually go
through Boston, it only goes into the suburbs, and I don't think very many
people would use it to get to Fenway Park. Even if you wanted a
mostly-Interstate route, and were going through the Bronx to get to Boston,
most traffic would use I-95 to I-91 to I-84, to I-90 (Mass Pike), to Storrow
Drive. Using I-95 would go pretty far out of the way. I doubt that Bostonians
really relate to I-95 at all.

Mitsguy2001

Oct 21, 2004, 7:04:49 PM10/21/04
>Subject: Re: Interstate World Series games
>From: william lynch x@y.z
>Date: 10/21/2004 1:41 AM Eastern Standard Time

That would be the I-90 series. I-90 goes through Boston (and right behind
Fenway Park),and I beleive I-90 also goes through Chicago.

Pete Jenior

Oct 21, 2004, 8:47:25 PM10/21/04

"Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message

> A Series between the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds would
> be an "I-71 Series", though I have a feeling it would be called an
> "Ohio Series".

In 1995 the Indians were in the World Series and the Reds lost the NLCS.
There was lots of "what if" talk, and I did hear "I-71 Series" used quite a
bit. There were even t-shirts made showing an outline of Ohio with a Reds
logo in the SW corner and an Indians logo in the NE, connected by a line
with an I-71 shield on it.
-Pete

Patrick Lee Humphrey

Oct 21, 2004, 9:34:34 PM10/21/04
"Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> writes:

If the score at Busch stands up tonight (2-1 Astros, end of top 4th), we can
have the I-10/95/90 Series. (I-90 is within spitting distance of Fenway, and
is closer than I-93. I-10 is about six blocks up Crawford from the Orange
Grove.)

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (pat...@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2004-05 Houston Aeros)

Marc Fannin

Oct 21, 2004, 9:49:51 PM10/21/04
Pete Jenior wrote:

Conversely, whenever the Indians and Reds have played interleague games
the past few years, the only phrase I've heard (at least on the
northeast end) is "the Battle of Ohio", no mention of I-71 at all.

(BTW, for all reading, we had a thread very similar to this one long
about, oh, this time last year ;)
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=7a61bdd990dedabf - and one in June
2002, for some odd reason
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b452f383961c9afd )

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Marc Fannin

Oct 21, 2004, 10:11:47 PM10/21/04
Scott M. Kozel wrote:

In the same vein you could drop the "Pennsylvania" and call a Cleveland
Indians/Pittsburgh Pirates series the "Turnpike Series".

Side note: The only single route directly connecting the two cities is
OH-14/PA-51, which of course changes route numbers. On OH-14 in the
1926 Rand McNally there is a US-121 shield implying a single numbered
route between the two (it apparently was omitted from the official
AASHO proposal - see note on
http://www.us-highways.com/1925bpr.htm ), so had things gone another
way it possibly could have been the "121 series".

Steve

Oct 21, 2004, 10:30:50 PM10/21/04
Patrick Lee Humphrey wrote:

> "Pete Jenior" <gtg...@prism.gatech.eduFILTER> writes:
>

>>"Lepidopteran" <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>>>A Series between the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds would
>>>be an "I-71 Series", though I have a feeling it would be called an
>>>"Ohio Series".
>

>>In 1995 the Indians were in the World Series and the Reds lost the NLCS.
>>There was lots of "what if" talk, and I did hear "I-71 Series" used quite a
>>bit. There were even t-shirts made showing an outline of Ohio with a Reds
>>logo in the SW corner and an Indians logo in the NE, connected by a line
>>with an I-71 shield on it.
>>-Pete
>

> If the score at Busch stands up tonight (2-1 Astros, end of top 4th), we can
> have the I-10/95/90 Series. (I-90 is within spitting distance of Fenway, and
> is closer than I-93. I-10 is about six blocks up Crawford from the Orange
> Grove.)

In terms of access, though, it's a wash between 90 and 93. Actually,
you might call it the US 1/... wait a minute, now it's 4-2 Cards.
Scratch that. Let's start with I-70 now.

Mitsguy2001

Oct 21, 2004, 10:37:17 PM10/21/04
>Subject: Re: Interstate World Series games
>From: Steve smal...@hackmit.edu
>Date: 10/21/2004 10:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

But, US 1 no longer runs along the Fenway, Storrow Drive, and the other
"parkways" in that area.

Kurumi

Oct 22, 2004, 3:24:08 AM10/22/04
In article <41783933...@attbi.com>, "Scott M. Kozel"
<koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

> 989...@msn.com wrote:
> >
> > Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> > > Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> > > league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?
> >
> > Let's try THIS! What would you name a series between the Toronto Blue
> > Jays and the Montreal Expos? Hmmm?
>
> There won't be one... in 2005 and onward the Montreal Expos will be
> located in Washington, D.C., and it was announced that the team will be
> renamed.
>
> Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
> (leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
> name.

Some names on the inside track are "Lobbyists", "527s", and "Swift Base
Runners for Ruth".

The Expo relocation has been an open secret for some time now, ever
since the August 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing ("Montreal Franchise
Determined to Relocate Inside U. S.")

(I thought the NLCS could have been a US 59 series, but of course that's
the wrong side of Missouri)

--
Kurumi http://www.kurumi.com/
3di's, Conn. Roads, maps, interchanges

Arrow

Oct 22, 2004, 3:34:04 AM10/22/04
Lepidopteran wrote:
> The World Series between the Kansas City Royals and the St. Louis
> Cardinals was called an "I-70 Series". Were any other World Series
> named for Interstates? Or for that matter US or State highways?
>
> I recall that the contest between the Baltimore Orioles and the
> Philadelphia Phillies was a "Metroliner Series", a la the Amtrak
> route, rather than I-95. Now if a NY team or the Red Sox were
> involved, could you still call it an I-95 series before the infamous
> NJ gap is filled?
>
> A Series between the Cleveland Indians and the Cincinnati Reds would
> be an "I-71 Series", though I have a feeling it would be called an
> "Ohio Series".
>
> How about a "Pennsylvania Turnpike Series" between the Pirates and the
> Phillies? That would be nice except for (a) they're in the same
> league, and (b) does the PATP even enter Pittsburgh proper?

This current World Series is going to be the
I-90/I-84/I-380/I-81/I-80/I-76/I-71/I-70 Series! I'd like to hear Joe
Buck rattle that one off.

--
Justin P.

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 22, 2004, 11:34:14 AM10/22/04
"Arrow" <arr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Or just shortened to I-90/I-71/I-70.

--
Jeff Kitsko
Pennsylvania Highways: http://www.pahighways.com/
Ohio Highways: http://www.ohhighways.com/

Tropicsprite

Oct 22, 2004, 11:26:26 PM10/22/04
Here is an estimated list of World Series "Highway Nicknames"

yes, I have WAY to much time on my hands!

I-75 Series:
Detroit/Florida
Atlanta/Detroit
Cincinatti Detroit

I-70 Series
Baltimore/St. Louis
St. Louis/Kansas City
Colorado/Kansas City
Colorado/Baltimore

I-95 Series
New York Yankees/Philly
Florida Marlins/New York Yankees
Baltimore/Philly
Florida/Baltimore

I-10 Series
Houston/Anaheim
Arizona/Anaheim

I-5 Series
LA/Seattle
San Diego/Seattle

I-80 Series
Oakland/San Fran

I-94 Series
Cubs/Twins
White Sox/Cubs

Cities that could not (technically) be given Interstate series nicknames:

St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) - I-275
Pittsburgh - I-376/579
Washington - I-295
New York Mets - Grand Central Parkway/I-678
Texas Rangers - I-820

SP Cook

Oct 24, 2004, 9:10:25 AM10/24/04
989...@msn.com wrote in message proper?

> Let's try THIS! What would you name a series between the Toronto Blue
> Jays and the Montreal Expos? Hmmm?

That will never happen, since the Expos will move to DC, but HWY 401.
And yes, I know that it changes to a Quebec Autoroute number in
Quebec, but may Ontarians just call the whole thing 401. I even heard
a Conservative Canadian politician use the phrase "HWY 401 Canadians",
which meant "people between Windsor and Quebec City" as it "this
government is good for HWY 401 Canadians but not for the rest of us".
Which sort of translates into "Red" vs "Blue" in US terms.

SP Cook

Rich Piehl

Oct 24, 2004, 3:57:58 PM10/24/04
Tropicsprite wrote:

> I-94 Series
> Cubs/Twins
> White Sox/Cubs

Cubs/Tigers

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

--
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy."

---Fred Allen---

George Grapman

Oct 24, 2004, 7:06:46 PM10/24/04
Rich Piehl wrote:
> Tropicsprite wrote:
>
>> > I-94 Series
>> Cubs/Twins
>> White Sox/Cubs
>>

> Cubs/Tigers
>
> Take care,
> Rich
>
> God bless the USA

Should the rules require that the ballparks can be seen from the
Interstate? I believe Royals/Cards would be an I-70 Series. If I-75
passes Joe Robbie than Yankees/Marlins counts.

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell

Emi M Briet

Oct 25, 2004, 2:38:09 PM10/25/04
In article <41783933...@attbi.com>,
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

> Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
> (leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
> name.

Preliminary indications are that they will re-use the old name, but
nothing official yet, and there are still forces that don't want it
re-used. However, the "Senators" name does have a fair amount of
history behind it, especially since the first incarnation of the team
was one of the first MLB teams in the late 1800s.

--Emi

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 25, 2004, 7:16:35 PM10/25/04

Mostly bad history, IMO, teams that often did poorly, both of which
ultimately left D.C. and moved across the country, leaving D.C. without
MLB baseball since 1971.

I propose the name Eagles, since that is the national bird.

Arrow

Oct 25, 2004, 7:42:30 PM10/25/04

Pffft. I'm all about the efficiency and avoiding tolls here!

--
Justin P.

Arrow

Oct 25, 2004, 7:47:39 PM10/25/04

Also, the Rangers still own the rights to the name "Washington
Senators," so if the people really wanted that name they'd have to buy
the rights back. Personally, I think it's time for something new.

--
Justin P.

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 25, 2004, 8:03:58 PM10/25/04
Arrow <arr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, the Rangers still own the rights to the name "Washington
> Senators," so if the people really wanted that name they'd have to buy
> the rights back. Personally, I think it's time for something new.

Here is an interesting article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60835-2004Sep29.html

"With D.C. Back in the Market, It's Time to Go Shopping for a Name"
By Michael Wilbon
_Washington Post_ - September 30, 2004

'Baseball had returned to Washington, officially, for less than an hour
yesterday afternoon and already you could hear the debate in earnest.
Already there were Internet polls, pamphlets being distributed at the
official announcement of the Expos' relocation to D.C. There was
throwback gear everywhere, Walter Johnson jerseys I've never seen
previously. Folks had come up with elaborate new logos and color
schemes, most involving red-white-and-blue.'

'If you listened, and not particularly closely, you could hear the
suggestions about a name for the team that play to Washington being the
national seat of government, including the Deficits, the Filibusters,
the Whigs, the Pundits and the Representatives (hey, how about a little
equal time for the other house) which could be nicely shortened to the
Reps.'

'A new ownership group is still in the works, but will it choose to go
with the recent past and stick with the Senators or take a different
tack, via the Homestead Grays, or perhaps the Eels, Snakeheads, River
Rats or River Dogs?'

'You could hear a bunch of new suggestions that play off the new stadium
location just off the Anacostia River, including the Eels, the
Snakeheads, the River Rats and the River Dogs. Particularly when it
comes to sports, folks think everything should be participatory now,
even when most of the suggestions fall somewhere between fairly absurd
and totally absurd.'

'There are only four reasonable choices for the name of the new
Washington Baseball Club: Senators, Nationals (if they play in the
National League), Americans (if they play in the American League) and
Grays. That's it, that's the list. Anything else is a waste of time to
even consider, even the Monuments. A poll on washingtonpost.com last
night had "Senators" way out front, getting some 54 percent of the
vote. "It'll come as no surprise to you that Senators sounds good to
me," Chuck Hinton, the former Senators outfielder, said.'

'Native Washingtonian Jim Kimsey, whose business sense, common sense and
influence were critical in attracting the team to the District, said:
"Senators has a certain nostalgic component. The name needs to capture
what the team means to the city. And it needs to be a very, very good
alternative not to use Senators."'

'There might be only one very, very good alternative: Grays. Baseball,
more than any other sport, sells nostalgia, from the retro ballparks
that have popped up around the major leagues (and presumably will here,
too, on the Anacostia waterfront) to throwback jerseys. And while
there's arguing against Senators or Nationals from a historic
standpoint, the name Grays qualifies historically, and has perhaps a
more romantic link to Washington's baseball past.'

'The Senators, let's face it, were losers. Big losers. The franchise
was contracted by the National League in 1900, left town for Minneapolis
in 1960, bolted town again, for Texas, in 1971. The Senators had 11
straight losing seasons to start their American League history in 1901,
then lost at least 100 games in each of their first four seasons as an
expansion team in the early 1960s. Where do you think "First in War,
First in Peace, last in the American League" as a depiction of
Washington came from?'

'Only the Cubs, White Sox and Red Sox have been bigger losers
historically than the Senators. Now, if the owners or whoever names
this team want to embrace the cuddly loser identity, which the Cubs and
Red Sox have capitalized on for years, then Senators is probably the way
to go.'

'But if we're talking about grabbing hold of a name that symbolizes
baseball strength while also connecting with tradition, Grays does
that. The Grays won nine straight Negro National League pennants when
the team played here, from the late 1930s until 1950.'

'Not only was it probably the greatest Negro League franchise of all,
but with apologies to Satchel Paige and the Kansas City Monarchs, it was
the most glamorous of all the Negro League teams and at its height
featured Josh Gibson and Buck Leonard. And if your first inclination is
that a 15-year-old kid has never heard of Josh Gibson, chances are
you're right . . . and he's never heard of Frank Howard either. I
remember Sam Lacy, the great sportswriter for the Afro-American
newspapers, telling me that one season in the late 1930s or early '40s,
Gibson hit more home runs than the entire Senators lineup.'

See the URL for the rest of the article.

George Grapman

Oct 25, 2004, 8:19:13 PM10/25/04

There has not been a lot of publicity but it is not a done deal. The
team has no owner and no ballpark.
The partners of Jeffrey Loria, the former Expos owner, are suing
Loria, MLB and the idiot in federal court. The hearing is set the day
before the the DC City Council is set to vote on millions of dollars in
improvements to RFK Stadium for the 2-3 years until a new park is ready.
The new park requires another vote.
Several candidates for the Council are opposing the deal in which the
city picks up the entire tab.

George Grapman

Oct 25, 2004, 8:20:30 PM10/25/04
Scott M. Kozel wrote:
> Emi M Briet <e...@emiofbrie.cx> wrote:
>
>>"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
>>>(leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
>>>name.
>>
>>Preliminary indications are that they will re-use the old name, but
>>nothing official yet, and there are still forces that don't want it
>>re-used. However, the "Senators" name does have a fair amount of
>>history behind it, especially since the first incarnation of the team
>>was one of the first MLB teams in the late 1800s.
>

> Mostly bad history, IMO, teams that often did poorly, both of which
> ultimately left D.C. and moved across the country, leaving D.C. without
> MLB baseball since 1971.
>
> I propose the name Eagles, since that is the national bird.

On proposal is GGreys, after the Negro League team.

Rich Piehl

Oct 25, 2004, 8:47:27 PM10/25/04
Arrow wrote:

> Also, the Rangers still own the rights to the name "Washington
> Senators," so if the people really wanted that name they'd have to buy
> the rights back. Personally, I think it's time for something new.

If not the Senators, then how 'bout the Representatives? ;-)

The Justices? The uniforms are long black robes.

The Lobbyists? They buy gifts and favors for the opposing team in the
hopes of getting a victory

The Cabinet? The positions they play aren't clear to the fans, and they
want to put more players on the team

The Advisers? When the opponents go to field the ball the team has
somebody telling them how to do it.

The bureaucratic Red Tapes? The opponents can't score unless they fill
out a 30 page form in triplicate.

Take care,
Rich

God bless the USA

Marc Fannin

Oct 25, 2004, 10:39:08 PM10/25/04
Jeff Kitsko wrote:

> "Arrow" <arr...@gmail.com> wrote in message...

> > This current World Series is going to be the
> > I-90/I-84/I-380/I-81/I-80/I-76/I-71/I-70 Series! I'd like to hear
Joe
> > Buck rattle that one off.
>
> Or just shortened to I-90/I-71/I-70.

I guess so:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/lighter_side/world_series_road_trip/

william lynch

Oct 25, 2004, 11:59:26 PM10/25/04
in article vggfd.22418$JS4....@twister.nyroc.rr.com, Arrow at
arr...@gmail.com wrote on 10/25/04 4:47 PM:

The Senator name is doable. The Tennessee NFL team had to purchase
the rights to the name "Titans" from the Jets, but from all accounts
the deal went through with no problems.

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 26, 2004, 12:22:43 AM10/26/04

> Jeff Kitsko wrote:
> > "Arrow" <arr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Or just shortened to I-90/I-71/I-70.
> >

> Pffft. I'm all about the efficiency and avoiding tolls here!

You'd have to take US 20 because you'd be paying a toll between Boston and
I-84.

Doug Krause

Oct 26, 2004, 6:05:14 PM10/26/04
In article <Cbked.29276$yP2....@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,

Tropicsprite <jguz...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>Here is an estimated list of World Series "Highway Nicknames"

I-90
Boston/Chicago

>Cities that could not (technically) be given Interstate series nicknames:
>
>St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) - I-275
>Pittsburgh - I-376/579
>Washington - I-295
>New York Mets - Grand Central Parkway/I-678
>Texas Rangers - I-820

If you are going to put Anaheim on I-10, you can put Boston
on I-95 and Arlington (Rangers) on I-20, I-30, I-35E and W,
and I-45.

Patrick Lee Humphrey

Oct 26, 2004, 10:49:28 PM10/26/04
"Tropicsprite" <jguz...@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

>Here is an estimated list of World Series "Highway Nicknames"

[...]

>Cities that could not (technically) be given Interstate series nicknames:

>St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) - I-275
>Pittsburgh - I-376/579
>Washington - I-295
>New York Mets - Grand Central Parkway/I-678
>Texas Rangers - I-820

Wrong, in the case of the Rangers...whatever the Ballpark at Arlington has
been branded as by now, it's within spitting distance of I-30, while I-820
stays in Fort Worth around its crossing of I-30 (and never gets within a few
miles of the stadium, in any event, and stays at least a mile or so away from
any Arlington city limits, for that matter).

Lepidopteran

Oct 28, 2004, 10:26:09 AM10/28/04
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:33:23 -0400, "Scott M. Kozel"
<koz...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
>(leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
>name.

Shortly after the announcement was made, the mayor of D.C. was
interviewed on the radio. When asked if they would use the Senators
moniker, he half-seriously replied with something like "give us a
couple of senators, and THEN we might name the team the Senators."
This was a jocular mention of the fact that Washington, DC is trying
to become a state. Indeed, the district's license plates do read
"Taxation without representation".

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 28, 2004, 12:19:31 PM10/28/04

They do have federal representation, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes
Norton, of the U.S. House of Representatives.

william lynch

Oct 28, 2004, 2:01:12 PM10/28/04
in article pb02o0dn0v6e20v14...@4ax.com, Lepidopteran at
Lepidop...@aol.com wrote on 10/28/04 7:26 AM:

And as long as the repubs hold power DC will never have a vote in
congress.

George Grapman

Oct 28, 2004, 2:58:22 PM10/28/04
Scott M. Kozel wrote:
> Lepidopteran <Lepidop...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
>>>(leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
>>>name.
>>
>>Shortly after the announcement was made, the mayor of D.C. was
>>interviewed on the radio. When asked if they would use the Senators
>>moniker, he half-seriously replied with something like "give us a
>>couple of senators, and THEN we might name the team the Senators."
>>This was a jocular mention of the fact that Washington, DC is trying
>>to become a state. Indeed, the district's license plates do read
>>"Taxation without representation".
>

> They do have federal representation, Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes
> Norton, of the U.S. House of Representatives.

She does not have a vote in the House. She only has speaking and
floor privileges.

George Grapman

Oct 28, 2004, 3:02:14 PM10/28/04
Actually it would take a Constitutional Amendment has the
Constitution only give seats to states.

George Grapman

Oct 28, 2004, 3:03:58 PM10/28/04
Speaking of amendments. let me amend my post. Legislation granting
statehood to D.C. would give it representation.

william lynch

Oct 28, 2004, 6:34:31 PM10/28/04
in article Wmbgd.14779$6q2....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com, George Grapman
at sfge...@paccbell.net wrote on 10/28/04 12:02 PM:

Or congress could simply make DC a state, which does not require
a constitutional amendment.

william lynch

Oct 28, 2004, 6:35:09 PM10/28/04
in article yobgd.14781$6q2....@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com, George Grapman
at sfge...@paccbell.net wrote on 10/28/04 12:03 PM:

And I replied to your other post before reading this.

John David Galt

Oct 29, 2004, 5:06:16 AM10/29/04
>>> Hopefully they will not reuse the "Senators" name since two failures
>>> (leaving the area) are associated with D.C. MLB baseball teams by that
>>> name.

Agreed.

>> Preliminary indications are that they will re-use the old name, but
>> nothing official yet, and there are still forces that don't want it
>> re-used. However, the "Senators" name does have a fair amount of
>> history behind it, especially since the first incarnation of the team
>> was one of the first MLB teams in the late 1800s.

> Mostly bad history, IMO, teams that often did poorly, both of which
> ultimately left D.C. and moved across the country, leaving D.C. without
> MLB baseball since 1971.
>
> I propose the name Eagles, since that is the national bird.

Not bad, but a certain nearby team in Philly might have something to say.

Considering the location the first name I thought of was Buzzards... or
maybe 'Crats...

John David Galt

Oct 29, 2004, 5:07:07 AM10/29/04
> Also, the Rangers still own the rights to the name "Washington
> Senators," so if the people really wanted that name they'd have to buy
> the rights back. Personally, I think it's time for something new.

I doubt it. Trademark rights disappear if unused for a long time.

John David Galt

Oct 29, 2004, 5:11:33 AM10/29/04
Rich Piehl wrote:
> The Justices? The uniforms are long black robes.

An excellent choice, since there are 9 of them.

Good thing the team is in the National League, or Congress would have to
make room for a tenth Justice to be the DH. :D

Scott M. Kozel

Oct 29, 2004, 7:10:46 AM10/29/04
John David Galt <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

> Scott Kozel wrote:
>
> >> Preliminary indications are that they will re-use the old name, but
> >> nothing official yet, and there are still forces that don't want it
> >> re-used. However, the "Senators" name does have a fair amount of
> >> history behind it, especially since the first incarnation of the team
> >> was one of the first MLB teams in the late 1800s.
> >
> > Mostly bad history, IMO, teams that often did poorly, both of which
> > ultimately left D.C. and moved across the country, leaving D.C. without
> > MLB baseball since 1971.
> >
> > I propose the name Eagles, since that is the national bird.
>
> Not bad, but a certain nearby team in Philly might have something to say.

Different sport. The football team in Philly would never play any
baseball team.

william lynch

Oct 29, 2004, 7:56:36 AM10/29/04
in article clt1d8$jp0$2...@blue.rahul.net, John David Galt at
j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us wrote on 10/29/04 2:07 AM:

That's if *unrenewed*. MLB still sells Senators gear, and the Tennessee
NFL team hed to purchase the rights to the "Titans" name from the NY Jets
a few years ago. Both trademarks are carefully maintained.

George Grapman

Oct 29, 2004, 10:24:10 AM10/29/04

It was reported in numerous places that the Rangers still own the rights.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6133955/

Same thing with the Jets owning the Titans name.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2001-3024.asp

George Grapman

Oct 29, 2004, 10:26:32 AM10/29/04
A similar thing goes for Literary Digest. The magazine was taken
over by Time about 50 years ago but at least once a year buried in the
copyright info a staff list there is a mention of LD.

Jeff Kitsko

Oct 29, 2004, 1:36:17 PM10/29/04
"Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote in message

> John David Galt <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

> > > Mostly bad history, IMO, teams that often did poorly, both of which
> > > ultimately left D.C. and moved across the country, leaving D.C.
without
> > > MLB baseball since 1971.
> > >
> > > I propose the name Eagles, since that is the national bird.
> >
> > Not bad, but a certain nearby team in Philly might have something to
say.

> Different sport. The football team in Philly would never play any
> baseball team.

There are numerous instances of sports teams using the same name but in
different leagues. Even if DC gets to use Senators, Ottawa's NHL team has
that name as well.

The only time I've heard of two teams in the same league using the same name
was years ago in the CFL when they had the Ottawa Roughriders and
Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Highway Junkie

Oct 29, 2004, 2:03:47 PM10/29/04
>There are numerous instances of sports teams using the same name but in
>different leagues. Even if DC gets to use Senators, Ottawa's NHL team has
>that name as well.
>
>The only time I've heard of two teams in the same league using the same name
>was years ago in the CFL when they had the Ottawa Roughriders and
>Saskatchewan Roughriders.

In the AHL (American Hockey League), there are the Norfolk Admirals and the
Milwaukee Admirals.

Sincerely and Blessings,

Eric G.

Patrick Lee Humphrey

Oct 29, 2004, 7:09:00 PM10/29/04
count...@aol.com.I-80 (Highway Junkie) writes:

That came about from the Norfolk Admirals joining the AHL in the '90s, and the
Milwaukee Admirals having been around the IHL since the late '70s and being
one of the six IHL teams accepted into the AHL in 2001 when the IHL folded.

Mark Stauter

Oct 29, 2004, 8:10:02 PM10/29/04
> years ago the CFL had the Ottawa Roughriders and
> Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Not exactly. Ottawa Rough Riders (but now the Ottawa franchise is
called the Renegades) and Sakatchewan Roughriders.

George Grapman

Oct 29, 2004, 9:01:58 PM10/29/04
Jeff Kitsko wrote:
> "Scott M. Kozel" <koz...@attbi.com> wrote in message
>
>>John David Galt <j...@diogenes.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

> without

>>>Not bad, but a certain nearby team in Philly might have something to
>
> say.
>
>>Different sport. The football team in Philly would never play any
>>baseball team.
>

> There are numerous instances of sports teams using the same name but in
> different leagues. Even if DC gets to use Senators, Ottawa's NHL team has
> that name as well.

Correct. The NY rangers did not try to take action against the Texas
Rangers.

> The only time I've heard of two teams in the same league using the same name
> was years ago in the CFL when they had the Ottawa Roughriders and
> Saskatchewan Roughriders.

I always wondered how bookies handled that on Monday when a customer
would say "No,no, I wanted the other Roughriders".

william lynch

Oct 30, 2004, 12:17:40 AM10/30/04
in article 69f71a01.0410...@posting.google.com, Mark Stauter at
msta...@umr.edu wrote on 10/29/04 5:10 PM:

But audibly they were indistinguishable. I remember a CFL game
on ESPN (this was back a while) and the announcers only referred
to Ottawa and Saskatchewan.

Scott M. Kozel

Nov 22, 2004, 8:51:58 PM11/22/04

> Arrow <arr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, the Rangers still own the rights to the name "Washington
> > Senators," so if the people really wanted that name they'd have to buy
> > the rights back. Personally, I think it's time for something new.
>
> Here is an interesting article...
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60835-2004Sep29.html
>
> "With D.C. Back in the Market, It's Time to Go Shopping for a Name"
> By Michael Wilbon
> _Washington Post_ - September 30, 2004
>
> 'Baseball had returned to Washington, officially, for less than an hour
> yesterday afternoon and already you could hear the debate in earnest.
> Already there were Internet polls, pamphlets being distributed at the
> official announcement of the Expos' relocation to D.C. There was
> throwback gear everywhere, Walter Johnson jerseys I've never seen
> previously. Folks had come up with elaborate new logos and color
> schemes, most involving red-white-and-blue.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3644-2004Nov22.html

"D.C.'s Team Officially Renamed the Nationals"
_Washington Post_ - Monday, November 22, 2004
Excerpt:

"The Major League Baseball club scheduled to play next season in
Washington was officially renamed the Nationals this afternoon, as
District Mayor Anthony A. Williams joined club officials and a
lunchtime crowd of a few hundred onlookers at Union Station in
unveiling the team's new logo".

j...@jolomo.net

Nov 23, 2004, 10:19:28 AM11/23/04

> "D.C.'s Team Officially Renamed the Nationals"
> _Washington Post_ - Monday, November 22, 2004
> Excerpt:

> "The Major League Baseball club scheduled to play next season in
> Washington was officially renamed the Nationals this afternoon, as
> District Mayor Anthony A. Williams joined club officials and a
> lunchtime crowd of a few hundred onlookers at Union Station in
> unveiling the team's new logo".

Lame! The best names I heard when this was first being bandied-about

Washington Posts
Washington States (for maximum confusion)

If they were in the American League, I'd go for the "Nationals"

Hail Eris!

--
Joe Morris jol...@gmail.com
Live music in Atlanta http://jolomo.net/atlanta/shows.html

william lynch

Nov 23, 2004, 1:42:51 PM11/23/04
in article cnvkdv$nla$1...@reader1.panix.com, j...@jolomo.net at j...@jolomo.net
wrote on 11/23/04 7:19 AM:

> Not so long ago, Scott M. Kozel wrote:
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3644-2004Nov22.html
>
>> "D.C.'s Team Officially Renamed the Nationals"
>> _Washington Post_ - Monday, November 22, 2004
>> Excerpt:
>
>> "The Major League Baseball club scheduled to play next season in
>> Washington was officially renamed the Nationals this afternoon, as
>> District Mayor Anthony A. Williams joined club officials and a
>> lunchtime crowd of a few hundred onlookers at Union Station in
>> unveiling the team's new logo".
>
> Lame! The best names I heard when this was first being bandied-about
>
> Washington Posts
> Washington States (for maximum confusion)
>
> If they were in the American League, I'd go for the "Nationals"
>
> Hail Eris!

Unless something gets worked out quickly, the team name will be "Expos"
and they will be playing in San Juan and Montreal. They haven't even
dealt with the logistics of retrofitting RFK Stadium for baseball, the
team still has no owner, and the new stadium faces enormous hurdles.

Marc Fannin

Nov 23, 2004, 1:47:22 PM11/23/04
Scott M. Kozel wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3644-2004Nov22.html
>
> "D.C.'s Team Officially Renamed the Nationals"
> _Washington Post_ - Monday, November 22, 2004

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/ is now working.

Marc Fannin|musx...@kent.edu or @hotmail.com| http://www.roadfan.com/

Jon Enslin

Nov 23, 2004, 2:03:59 PM11/23/04

"william lynch" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:BDC8C497.30C6%x@y.z...

RFK was originally built as a dual-purpose stadium, and the second version
of the Senators played there.

Jon

Scott M. Kozel

Nov 23, 2004, 6:25:01 PM11/23/04
j...@jolomo.net wrote:

> Not so long ago, Scott M. Kozel wrote:
>
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3644-2004Nov22.html
>
> > "D.C.'s Team Officially Renamed the Nationals"
> > _Washington Post_ - Monday, November 22, 2004
> > Excerpt:
>
> > "The Major League Baseball club scheduled to play next season in
> > Washington was officially renamed the Nationals this afternoon, as
> > District Mayor Anthony A. Williams joined club officials and a
> > lunchtime crowd of a few hundred onlookers at Union Station in
> > unveiling the team's new logo".
>
> Lame! The best names I heard when this was first being bandied-about
>
> Washington Posts
> Washington States (for maximum confusion)
>
> If they were in the American League, I'd go for the "Nationals"

I was interested in the name Grays, which the first article discussed.

George Grapman

Nov 24, 2004, 10:54:11 AM11/24/04

My guess is they will get a year to year lease at RFK with few if any
improvements and baseball will still own the team in 2005.