Free File Fillable Forms Aren't-At Least For Me

Jonathan L. Parker

Jan 17, 2010, 2:46:30 PM1/17/10
I'm trying to get them to work on a Mac running OS X 10.4.11 on both
Firefox 3.0.15 and the latest version of Safari, whatever it is, with
Adobe Flash Player 10. I can't get past the first screen where you're
supposed to create an account and then be taken to where the forms
actually load. When I click "Continue" I get a popup labeled "Log In"
but with no spaces to enter information. This is the same nonsense I
ran into last year with these.

Anyone else out there running into similar problems? If you're actually
getting them to work-especially with a Mac-how does your setup differ
from mine?

========================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
Please don't start your post on the subject line. Make your post complete
without reference to the subject line. Thanks.

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

JoeTaxpayer

Jan 17, 2010, 4:43:24 PM1/17/10
On 1/17/10 2:46 PM, Jonathan L. Parker wrote:

> Free File Fillable Forms Aren't-At Least For Me

> I'm trying to get them to work on a Mac running OS X 10.4.11 on both
> Firefox 3.0.15 and the latest version of Safari, whatever it is, with
> Adobe Flash Player 10. I can't get past the first screen where you're
> supposed to create an account and then be taken to where the forms
> actually load.

Jon -
I downloaded a 14040 from
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
Browser shouldn't matter. It should open with Acrobat reader, and allow
you to save the filled in form.
I use an old G4 Mac running Leopard. The forms are PDF, this should have
nothing to do with Flash.

Joe

rick++

Jan 18, 2010, 8:56:18 PM1/18/10
On Jan 17, 2:43 pm, JoeTaxpayer <JoeTaxpa...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I downloaded a 14040 fromhttp://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

> Browser shouldn't matter. It should open with Acrobat reader, and allow
> you to save the filled in form.

FFFF are a different animal from the pdfs.
The pdfs allow you type numbers and print these nicely,
but nothing further.
FFFF automatically do arithmetic for you,
link to other forms when called for, eg. 1040A total.
They also provide free efiling.
The last didnt work for me last year because it complained
my federal tax withheld did not match W2. That was due
to including estimated tax payments in the total, which FFFF
did not handle correctly.

The FFFF appear to work properly for me under InterNet Explorer.
Many websites dont recognize other browsers.

Jeff

Jan 20, 2010, 7:38:15 PM1/20/10
Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
> I'm trying to get them to work on a Mac running OS X 10.4.11 on both
> Firefox 3.0.15 and the latest version of Safari, whatever it is, with
> Adobe Flash Player 10. I can't get past the first screen where you're
> supposed to create an account and then be taken to where the forms
> actually load. When I click "Continue" I get a popup labeled "Log In"
> but with no spaces to enter information. This is the same nonsense I
> ran into last year with these.
>
> Anyone else out there running into similar problems? If you're actually
> getting them to work-especially with a Mac-how does your setup differ
> from mine?

I cannot get it to work on XP (neither IE8 nor FF V3.5.7).
I downloaded and installed Microsoft SilverLight plugin, as instucted,
Set up a new user account, and it blows up d/l'ing "my data", with an
error message re. "refresh browser". I SUSPECT it's something to do
with wtf "SilverLight" does, but that's a guess.

btw: Last year, freefillableforms.org worked fine for me. Exactly as
promised.

Jeff

Jan 21, 2010, 5:35:49 PM1/21/10
Aha! I've discovered that there are TWO Free File Fillable Form sites:
freefilefillableforms.COM is Adobe Flash based, whereas,
freefilefillableforms.ORG is Microsoft SilverLight based.

And, they use DIFFERENT username/password's!
The Flash-based one works for me.

Jeff

Jan 22, 2010, 1:10:57 AM1/22/10
Jeff wrote:
> Aha! I've discovered that there are TWO Free File Fillable Form sites:
> freefilefillableforms.COM is Adobe Flash based, whereas,
> freefilefillableforms.ORG is Microsoft SilverLight based.
>
> And, they use DIFFERENT username/password's!
> The Flash-based one works for me.

This demonstrates how EASY it would be to set up a phishing site.