How can I make corn syrup, sugar, starch, and oil?

Bill & Pat Velek

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
I'll cut right to the chase and start with my _main_ questions:

How can I make corn syrup?

How can I make corn sugar?

How can I make corn starch?

How can I make corn oil?

I think I already know how to make corn meal ;-)

I also have some questions later in this post about sugar beets. If we
experience TEOTWAWKI, and for awhile we revert to "the old ways", how
can I make sweeteners? Aside from honey, and molasses from sugar cane
which I have an idea of how to make (don't have the equipment though and
don't know anyone whose ever grown sugar cane in these parts), it seems
that the remaining choices are sugar beets and corn sugar. IIRC the
sap is squeezed out of the sugar cane and then cooked down in the same
fashion as maple syrup for molasses (we don't have maple trees around
here either), so I would assume that you would do something similar with
the sugar beets. Corn, though, would seem that it might have to be done
differently since we also get oil from corn; when corn is squeezed, how
is the oil and the sugar separated? Also, I assume that the corn is
first removed from the cob, so maybe the kernels are really _pressed_??

I'm not sure about the sugar beets -- how it compares in sugar yield to
corn; how much better or worse it grows; how much more or less it is
susceptible to problems (blight, drought, insects), etc; how much more
or less fertilizer it requires; how much easier or harder it is to
harvest and produce the sugar; and what useful by-products it might make
or other uses it might have. Does anyone out there have a general
answer as to whether sugar beets might be a better choice than corn?

I guess I should really consider growing both for redundancy, but I
still need answers to my questions. Also, does anyone out there know
the best way to make a press?

Getting back to corn: can anyone tell me how to make corn syrup, corn
sugar (I assume the syrup is dried to crystals), corn starch, and corn
oil?

Your help will be appreciated. I know this is a long post with a lot
of questions that might not interest most of you, but I think it's a
heck of a lot more on topic for survival than a lot of other threads.
I know that the easiest thing to do would be to just store as much of
those commodities as we could possibly need in the next couple of years
(I understand oil won't go rancid for many years if unopened), but I
want to be PREPARED; what if we _really_ have TEOTWAWKI that lasts for
several, or even _many_, years? If I can grown corn or beets on our
farm and produce sugar, I could use it to barter for the other things of
which I _can't_ afford to stockpile enough for several years.

Thanks.

Old Guy

Angela

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

"Bill & Pat Velek" <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote in message

> How can I make corn oil?

The only description of this I've ever seen was in a (forgive me) novel by
Maeve Binchy, title long since forgotten. The main character put a handful
of corn kernels on the flat of a hoe, and heated them over a fire until oil
began to seep out. It seemed unlikly even then, but since I've never tried
it, I don't know if it would work or not.

--angela

Jim & Eva FitzGerald

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
For a good sweetener, try the Stevia plant. Dried leaves, ground up with a
mortar and pestle, are many, many times sweeter than sugar.
We have two plants that we keep in pots, (if it freezes it will die), and
they supply more than enough sweetener for the two of us.
Try an organic or herb nursery. Also do a search on the net, I think there
is a company selling plants there. I know there are several websites, and I
have bought several Stevia cookbooks from www.amazon.com
You might want to try some of the powder or liquid Stevia from your local
health food store also, but it's pretty expensive, we paid $12.99 for a 2
oz. bottle of the liquid, but you only need drop or two in a two cup mug of
coffee to have it taste as sweet as two or three heaping teaspoons of white
sugar.
If anyone is interested, I can post a recipe or two for you to try
--
Fitz
I can skin a buck, run a trotline. Country boys can survive!

"Bill & Pat Velek" <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote in message

> I'll cut right to the chase and start with my _main_ questions:
>

> How can I make corn syrup?
>
> How can I make corn sugar?
>
> How can I make corn starch?

> How can I make corn oil?

Bill & Pat Velek

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Jim & Eva FitzGerald wrote:

> For a good sweetener, try the Stevia plant. Dried leaves, ground up with a
> mortar and pestle, are many, many times sweeter than sugar.

snip

> If anyone is interested, I can post a recipe or two for you to try

snip

By all means, please do; I am going to try to find some of the stuff,
and some seed or plants, too.

Thanks.

Bill Velek

ben williams

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

Bill & Pat Velek <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote in message
> I'll cut right to the chase and start with my _main_ questions:
> How can I make corn syrup?
> How can I make corn sugar?
> How can I make corn starch?
> How can I make corn oil?
> I think I already know how to make corn meal ;-)

----------------------
Here's a start from;
http://www.comptons.com
ben
---------
beet sugar From sugar beets. Each sugar beet contains about 14
teaspoons of
sugar in its root. Sugar beets are harvested
mechanically. They are "topped"
(the top of the beet is cut off and used as cattle
feed), loaded, and transported
to the processing factory. At the factories the
beets are washed, weighed, and
run through slicing machines, which cut the beets
into thin strips called
cossettes. Next the slices are put into a
diffuser--either a series of tall,
boiler-shaped cylinders, or cells, or an inclined
cylinder containing two scroll
conveyors. In the diffuser the beet juice is washed
out of the slices with hot
water. The juice is purified by adding caustic lime
and carbon dioxide to the
liquid and then filtering it. After filtering, the
beet juice is put through
processes similar to those used in the manufacture
of cane sugar, though beet
sugar does not go through the raw sugar stage. The
final product cannot be
distinguished from cane sugar.

corn starch------
About 80 percent of commercial starch comes from
corn; cassava, or tapioca,
is next in commercial use. To make starch, corn is
first soaked in water for 48
hours, then ground and carefully strained through
sieves. The starch is
allowed to settle in vats and is then washed,
bleached, and dried. Potato starch
is made by grating potatoes, adding water, and
straining, settling, washing,
and drying the mixture. Wheat starch and rice starch
are made by slightly
different processes to remove the gluten in their
grains.

Laundry starch is either a white powder or
irregular white lumps that come
from breaking up dried cakes of the material. Starch
does not dissolve
completely in cold water, but in hot water the
granules burst, and the contents
form a clear paste.

When heated to about 360蚌 (182蚓), starch is
changed into the gum called
dextrin. Food industries obtain syrup and simple
sugar (glucose or dextrose)
from starch. They also make cornstarch and tapioca
from it. These are
commonly boiled and eaten as puddings. Cornstarch is
also used as a
thickening agent in various food recipes.

JayRyder

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and pat
velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced. Why the absence? Why today are
there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?

Hmmm, your holyness?

--

Are you free?

Do you own your body? Can you prostitute yourself, sell your organs, or
medicate yourself? Do you own your labor? Can you work for any wage
you want, whatever hours you want, and keep the fruits of your sweat?

Do you own your possessions? Can the terms of your property ownership
be changed at any time, or for any reason? Can your property be taxed
without limitation?

Can you travel freely? Must you carry identification papers for you and
your property, submit to search without warrant, cause, or recourse?

There is a spectrum upon which lie two endpoints. One point is slavery,
and at the other end: FREEDOM.

Gunner

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Just out of curiosity, just what ox are you trying to gore? You
are/have turned into one obnoxious SOB, and your output to garbage
ratio has gone from crappy to septic tank grade.

Gunner

jayryde...@micron.net (JayRyder) wrote:

>After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and pat
>velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced. Why the absence? Why today are
>there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?
>
>Hmmm, your holyness?

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

David Moffitt

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

> Just out of curiosity, just what ox are you trying to gore? You
> are/have turned into one obnoxious SOB, and your output to garbage
> ratio has gone from crappy to septic tank grade.
>
> Gunner

%%% JayRyder must have run out of sheep to sodimize and is back being a
troll!

David Moffitt Lifetime NRA Member and damn proud of it!

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make
things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they
serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man
may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." --
Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and
Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Bob Gilbert

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
On Sun, 28 Nov 99 21:05:09 GMT, jayryde...@micron.net (JayRyder)
wrote:

>After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and pat
>velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced. Why the absence? Why today are
>there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?
>
>Hmmm, your holyness?

Gunner has already responded, and is correct.

You've moved from contributor ... to troll. Actually Bill has been
around but sometimes forgets to hide his posting ID.

Bill, please get better at NOT FORGETTING.

Jay .... contribute something ... or go away.

Bob

A person's spirit is defined by the person's
thoughts, words and deeds.
NOT by what was done to the person in the past.
(Old native american saying)

Mysterion

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Sheepryder's just upset that now there is yet another person here who
realizes what an idiot he is.

Gunner wrote in message <38497ee2....@news.lightspeed.net>...

>Just out of curiosity, just what ox are you trying to gore? You
>are/have turned into one obnoxious SOB, and your output to garbage
>ratio has gone from crappy to septic tank grade.
>
>Gunner
>

>jayryde...@micron.net (JayRyder) wrote:
>

>>After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and pat
>>velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced. Why the absence? Why today
are
>>there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?
>>
>>Hmmm, your holyness?

Bill & Pat Velek

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
Hello, Jay. It's been awhile since we've corresponded, hasn't it? I
have no quarrel with you about anything, and although I don't know why
you dislike me in particular or just judges in general, I can accept
that and keep my distance -- live and let live, as they say. I don't
want to fight -- I'd rather talk to Stephanie ;-) But I will play this
game this one time and answer your questions, for what it's worth.

JayRyder wrote:

> After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and
> pat velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced.

The occasional postings were when I forgot to change my identity when
posting to this newsgroup; this, of course, resulted in my revealing
that I am also "Old Guy" by unintentionally having my _real_ identity
listed under sender and at the same time using "Old Guy" in my sig line.
Duhhhhh. Darwinism in action, as you would say. You see, I use e-mail
for lots of business reasons, including legal stuff, and using "Old Guy"
along with the fake address of old...@aol.com (nice touch?) just would
not cut it -- so I was switching back and forth. Eventually I got
careless and forgot to switch identities, and there you have it. I'm
just not the survivalist that I ought to be.

> Why the absence? ...

I was never absent, but had started using an alias. In the several
years that I've been posting on the net, I've always been proud and
courageous enough to use my real name, but you and others persuaded me
that this is not always a good or safe idea, especially after I began
receiving threatening and harassing e-mails from someone. Since we
never know who we are dealing with on the internet or _what_ they are
really capable of doing, it seemed to me to be a small price to pay
(using an alias) for the added security it could provide for me and
my family. Of course, I've received threats before (non-Internet),
but I guess it just comes with the territory.

> Why today are there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?

First, I'm not a JBT. I think that if you were to sit in my court
for just one session, you would come away with the realization that
I am one of the most polite, considerate, and fairest of judges you
will encounter; I hate to toot my own horn, but as one example I'll
tell you of one time I fined a gal the standard fine for her offense
and later had second thoughts because I knew that she was a fairly
poor person, and when I happened to see her in a store one day after
that, I pulled my wallet out and gave her some money to make up for
it -- and that was out of _MY_ money which I never got back from the
court. I know ... to you I was just soothing my guilty conscience,
but at least I have a conscience, ... and I never said I was perfect.
I just _try_ to be perfect.

Now, why are there 10-15 postings by me today? For a combination
of reasons.

First, I'm sure I forgot to change my identity again; I'm getting
really absent-minded since I'm an "old" guy ;-) Hey, now I can
tell you all that I'm not really all _THAT_ old -- just 48. ;-)

Second, I had already blown my cover, and in the few times when I
did post under my real name it did not result in any flames or
harassment so I guess I just "dropped my guard" a bit, not realizing
that things might pick up where they left off (NOT what I want to
happen).

Third, some of the posts today where also simultaneously sent to a
few survival mailing-lists, and I can't use a fake address if I want
to be able to receive answers to my queries; I sent to several lists
and this group because time is running out, and I hoped to get some
answers ASAP. I'm sure you probably think they are stupid questions.

Anyway, Jay, since Christmas is near, do you think you could give
an old JBT a break? I really don't need any hassles now.

> Hmmm, your holyness?

Jay, there is no need to stand on formality with me; you know me
well enough to just call me "Bill".

Bill Velek

Tim May

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
In article <38420637...@cyberback.com>, Bill & Pat Velek
<ve...@cyberback.com> wrote:

> > Why the absence? ...
>
> I was never absent, but had started using an alias. In the several
> years that I've been posting on the net, I've always been proud and
> courageous enough to use my real name, but you and others persuaded me
> that this is not always a good or safe idea, especially after I began
> receiving threatening and harassing e-mails from someone.

Not me.

My posting of your home city was to illustrate to you, and to others, that
it takes approximately 37 seconds in today's Internet Age to convert
someone's True Name into a street address.

I assume any of your real (and local) enemies, like perps you may have put
away, already know how to use the phone book.

> First, I'm sure I forgot to change my identity again; I'm getting
> really absent-minded since I'm an "old" guy ;-) Hey, now I can
> tell you all that I'm not really all _THAT_ old -- just 48. ;-)

The "old guy" shtick wears thin. I've seen it here from you, and from a
couple of others.

Well, I've got news for you, Bill: I was born in 1951.

And yet I refuse to refer to myself as an "old guy." Or "Old Dog," or "Old
Gunner," or any of the other phony-sounding names the "old-timers" give
themselves.

--Tim May, high school class of 1970, college class of 1974, first ARPANet
account in 1973, retired in 1986

--
They pulled the pin...now we're all just waiting
Timothy C. May | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,

Old Guy

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Tim May wrote:

snip

> > ... especially after I began

> > receiving threatening and harassing e-mails from someone.
>
> Not me.

I know it wasn't you; I know who it was, but I'm not going to start
making accusations.

> My posting of your home city was to illustrate to you, and to others, that
> it takes approximately 37 seconds in today's Internet Age to convert
> someone's True Name into a street address.

That's old history. No problem and no hard feelings.

> > ... I'm an "old" guy ;-) Hey, now I can

> > tell you all that I'm not really all _THAT_ old -- just 48. ;-)
>
> The "old guy" shtick wears thin. I've seen it here from you, and from a
> couple of others.
>
> Well, I've got news for you, Bill: I was born in 1951.
>
> And yet I refuse to refer to myself as an "old guy." Or "Old Dog," or "Old
> Gunner," or any of the other phony-sounding names the "old-timers" give
> themselves.

It's phony-sounding because it's a phony name. Hell, I don't know
why I picked that particular name except maybe that my 8 kids will
frequently tease me about being an old guy; is it important?

BIG Guy (now I probably sound like I'm bragging ;-)

Gunner

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
tc...@got.net (Tim May) wrote:

>And yet I refuse to refer to myself as an "old guy." Or "Old Dog," or "Old
>Gunner," or any of the other phony-sounding names the "old-timers" give
>themselves.

Thats Gunner, not Old Gunner, Gunny etc etc.
And Im sure that your aware its a name with two meanings
1. A diminuative of my name sake, Gunner Asch (and if you have to ask
who that was.....) who is my alter ego
2. A nickname that has followed me for 25+ years, for various reasons.

A handle is simply that. A means to make ones designation be more
rememberable. Perhaps ego, but definately a link to the owners
outlook/attitude/sense of humor.
You and I are of approximatly the same age. My degree is from the
School of Hard Knocks, with some followup learning. My first "net
account" was in 1971, and was followed up by periodic small amounts
of time, on the MARS Net. Mostly though it was simply Arty Net, or
Arclight Net, or FO net. and my handle (callsign) was Shiva. So
whoopee. My few years on the Internet do not make me an "old timer"nor
have I ever claimed to be one. I dont feel old (well some cold
mornings....) I dont look old, nor do I act old...(more juvinile than
anything) So keep me out of your pissing and moaning.

Congratulations on the good fortune to be in the right place, at the
right time, with the right skills, to retire at such a young age. Its
to be commended.

Chill.

Gunner

ben williams

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
And I'm older than all of you! Post by my real name ! Worked for Intel like
Tim, uncle Sam like Gunner, avoid the law (sorry bill, nothing illegal. just
too much hassle around here. Though I did put my daughter thru the police
academy at Salemsburg, nc. [she quit, too many Greensboro cops into drugs] )

Now I'm poor! Personal choice kinda (too many wives, too much alimony), but
happy. Still teach on Bragg occasionally at SFOD survival course (incognito)
and still maintain contacts with those I may need info from. Work
maintenance for a MH park (28F tonight have to check the piping all over
again).

OTOH I have garnered a lifetime of survival knowledge-skills and try to give
everyone the benefit of the doubt (don't judge to fast or harshly). Enjoy my
heritage (hey, Bob G) and usually sleep at night knowing I have
intentionally harmed no-one.

ben

Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

news:384b3b88....@news.lightspeed.net...> tc...@got.net (Tim May)

Jim & Eva FitzGerald

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Tarragon Potato Salad (8 cups)

6 cups unpeeled, cooked, diced red-skin potatoes (White potatoes can be
used)
2 cups frozen peas, thawed (Canned can be used)
1 cup finely diced red onion (Yellow or white can be used)
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced (Green or orange can be used)
1 Tbsp. sea salt

Sweet Tarragon Mayonnaise
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
˝ tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. sea salt
4 drops stevia liquid concentrate
1 Tbsp. tarragon Herb salad seasoning
1 cup olive oil

Place the potatoes, peas, onion and bell pepper in a large bowl, sprinkle
with salt and toss well. Set aside.
Place all of the mayonnaise ingredients and ź cup of the oil in a blender
and blend for 30 seconds. With the blender still running, slowly add the
remaining oil through the opening in the lid. Continue to blend until
smooth.
Add ź cup of the mayonnaise to the potato salad ingredients and mix well.
Add additional dressing as desired. Cover the salad and place in the
refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving. If there is any remaining
mayonnaise, place it in a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid and
refrigerate. It will keep for up to 2 weeks.

--
Fitz
I can skin a buck, run a trotline. Country boys can survive!

"Bill & Pat Velek" <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote in message

Canopy Co Tulsa OK

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Depends on if the "Big" part is in front or behind ;-)

Jim & Eva FitzGerald

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Sweet Vegetarian Chili (8 servings)

2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, coarsely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 medium green bell peppers, diced into 1 inch pieces
2 cups coarsely diced carrots.
4 cups coarsely diced yellow squash
10 cups water
4 cups canned pinto beans
6 ounce can tomato paste
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
3 Tbsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. white stevia powder

Place the olive oil in a 4 quart pot and preheat over medium-low heat. Add
the onions and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are
translucent and the garlic is lightly brown.
Add the bell peppers, carrots and squash to the pot and continue to sauté
for 5-10 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer covered, stirring frequently for about
2 hours or until liquid is somewhat reduced and the chili is thick.
Spoon hot chili into bowls and serve.

Old Guy

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Jim & Eva FitzGerald wrote:

snipped recipe which makes use of stevia, a form of sweetener

> > > If anyone is interested, I can post a recipe or two for you to try
> >
> > snip
> >
> > By all means, please do; I am going to try to find some of the stuff,
> > and some seed or plants, too.

Thanks folks, but on second thought perhaps you ought to send any more
recipes directly to me via e-mail since this is probably going to tick
off a lot of folks who will see this as being off-topic for survivalism.
If you want to reach me, you'll need to use my real address which is
mailto:ve...@cyberback.com

Old Guy

JayRyder

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <38420637...@cyberback.com>,

Bill & Pat Velek <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote:

|Hello, Jay. It's been awhile since we've corresponded, hasn't it? I

|have no quarrel with you about anything, and although I don't know why
|you dislike me

Youre a goddamn nazi. Whats not to like?

| in particular or just judges in general,

Judges are among the most corrupt and tyrranical in any democracy.

| I can accept
|that and keep my distance -- live and let live, as they say.

As you do not practice.

| I don't
|want to fight -- I'd rather talk to Stephanie ;-)

You seem to be itchin for one. Whyd you post this bunk? You wrote this right
after you finished jacking off over a stephanie post? You do realize he is
nothing more than an admitted troll? Read that lusers admission a few weeks
ago?

| But I will play this
|game this one time and answer your questions, for what it's worth.
|
|JayRyder wrote:
|>
|> After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and
|> pat velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced.
|
|The occasional postings were when I forgot to change my identity when
|posting to this newsgroup; this, of course, resulted in my revealing
|that I am also "Old Guy" by unintentionally having my _real_ identity
|listed under sender and at the same time using "Old Guy" in my sig line.
|Duhhhhh. Darwinism in action, as you would say.

That what you want?

| You see, I use e-mail
|for lots of business reasons, including legal stuff, and using "Old Guy"
|along with the fake address of old...@aol.com (nice touch?) just would
|not cut it -- so I was switching back and forth. Eventually I got
|careless and forgot to switch identities, and there you have it. I'm
|just not the survivalist that I ought to be.
|

|> Why the absence? ...
|
|I was never absent,

Your choice.

| but had started using an alias. In the several
|years that I've been posting on the net, I've always been proud and
|courageous enough to use my real name, but you and others persuaded me

|that this is not always a good or safe idea, especially after I began

|receiving threatening and harassing e-mails from someone.

You consider my email in the above?

You really oughtta think again. You put human beings in cages for a living.

| Since we
|never know who we are dealing with on the internet or _what_ they are
|really capable of doing, it seemed to me to be a small price to pay
|(using an alias) for the added security it could provide for me and
|my family. Of course, I've received threats before (non-Internet),
|but I guess it just comes with the territory.
|
|> Why today are there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?
|
|First, I'm not a JBT.

Im not into Freedom.

| I think that if you were to sit in my court

I wouldnt get in. Im never unarmed. Do you let armed citizens in your kourt?
Do you invite armed govt workers in your kangaroo chamber?

|for just one session,

Id shoot you down for your fascist kingdomship.

| you would come away with the realization that
|I am one of the most polite, considerate, and fairest of judges you
|will encounter; I hate to toot my own horn, but as one example I'll
|tell you of one time I fined a gal the standard fine for her offense
|and later had second thoughts because I knew that she was a fairly
|poor person, and when I happened to see her in a store one day after
|that, I pulled my wallet out and gave her some money to make up for
|it -- and that was out of _MY_ money which I never got back from the
|court. I know ... to you I was just soothing my guilty conscience,
|but at least I have a conscience, ... and I never said I was perfect.
|I just _try_ to be perfect.

LOL.

|Now, why are there 10-15 postings by me today? For a combination
|of reasons.
|

|First, I'm sure I forgot to change my identity again; I'm getting

|really absent-minded since I'm an "old" guy ;-) Hey, now I can

|tell you all that I'm not really all _THAT_ old -- just 48. ;-)
|

|Second, I had already blown my cover, and in the few times when I
|did post under my real name it did not result in any flames or
|harassment so I guess I just "dropped my guard" a bit, not realizing
|that things might pick up where they left off (NOT what I want to
|happen).
|
|Third, some of the posts today where also simultaneously sent to a
|few survival mailing-lists, and I can't use a fake address if I want
|to be able to receive answers to my queries; I sent to several lists
|and this group because time is running out,

The Sky Is Falling!

|and I hoped to get some
|answers ASAP. I'm sure you probably think they are stupid questions.

Ive answered many of them. Syrup and sugar are essentially the same. I
addressed that. Starch is starch and you should consider several veggies if
starch is what you want. But it probably isnt. Who needs starch? You want
food that contains it, dummy.

|Anyway, Jay, since Christmas is near, do you think you could give
|an old JBT a break? I really don't need any hassles now.

Thats up to you now, oldguy, velek.

|> Hmmm, your holyness?
|
|Jay, there is no need to stand on formality with me; you know me
|well enough to just call me "Bill".

Bill, what color is your house? Can I believe what some of your victims have
written about you? Ive seen your addy in the cc: field.

David Moffitt

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99

"ben williams" <wms...@netquick.net> wrote in message

> And I'm older than all of you! Post by my real name ! Worked for Intel
like
> Tim, uncle Sam like Gunner, avoid the law (sorry bill, nothing illegal.
just
> too much hassle around here. Though I did put my daughter thru the police
> academy at Salemsburg, nc. [she quit, too many Greensboro cops into
drugs] )

> Now I'm poor! Personal choice kinda (too many wives, too much alimony),
but
> happy. Still teach on Bragg occasionally at SFOD survival course
(incognito)
> and still maintain contacts with those I may need info from. Work
> maintenance for a MH park (28F tonight have to check the piping all over
> again).
>
> OTOH I have garnered a lifetime of survival knowledge-skills and try to
give
> everyone the benefit of the doubt (don't judge to fast or harshly). Enjoy
my
> heritage (hey, Bob G) and usually sleep at night knowing I have
> intentionally harmed no-one.
>
> ben

%%% I'm a 50 year old Cherokee/Scotsman and have the tribal/clan papers to
prove it. I post by my own name and don't give a flying shit if Jay(the
sheep sodimizer)Ryder knows it. Look me up all you want. Drop by for a visit
sometime. I'll be glad to show you my gun collection, but, not in the manner
you would like. Jay if you had any BALLS you would use your own name and not
hide like a whining troll who has nothing to contribute to this group but
your particular brand of venomous crap. The apparent reason you are afraid
to use your own name and attack the judge is your past history of criminal
activity. That causes you to fear men such as the judge or those who
represent law and order.

David Moffitt Lifetime NRA Member ---and damn proud of it

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of
servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your
chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye
were our countrymen. -- Samuel Adams, speech at the
Philadelphia State House, August 1, 1776.

Mac & Mic

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
Let it be known that 15:05 Jayryder figured out what the rest of us have
known all along. Starting to think like the sheep he keeps company with.

Mic

JayRyder <jayryde...@micron.net> wrote in message

> After 1.5 month of only very occaisional posting, the Judge (bill and
pat

> velek, ve...@cyberback.com) has resurfaced. Why the absence? Why today

are
> there 10-15 postings by our resident JBT judge?
>

> Hmmm, your holyness?

> --
>
> Are you free?
>
> Do you own your body? Can you prostitute yourself, sell your organs, or
> medicate yourself? Do you own your labor? Can you work for any wage
> you want, whatever hours you want, and keep the fruits of your sweat?
>
> Do you own your possessions? Can the terms of your property ownership
> be changed at any time, or for any reason? Can your property be taxed
> without limitation?
>
> Can you travel freely? Must you carry identification papers for you and
> your property, submit to search without warrant, cause, or recourse?
>
> There is a spectrum upon which lie two endpoints. One point is slavery,
> and at the other end: FREEDOM.

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Tim May

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <D1G04.1467$h4.1...@news1.usit.net>, "Strider"
<str...@usit.net> wrote:

> Jay. It's time you found your anti troll medication.
>
> Either that or go find out if you have an undiagnosed brain tumor. Your
> post have become nothing more than vile, useless rantings. What the hell is
> wrong with you anyway?
>
> Do you use alot of aluminum cookware?

Yeah, it's bizarre. He's giving extremists like me a bad name.

Actually, there's a good term for this kind of mindless ranting: foaming.

--Tim May

Strider

Gunner

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I actually enjoyed the recipes. I have no problem with them being
posted. Thats the kind of thing this newsgroup is really intended
for.. a nice change from flames and trolls.

Gunner

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Free Hobby Buy/Swap/Sell Website
www.cyberg8t.com/gunner/hsm/index.html

Home Page
http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/gunner

Gunner

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I suspect Ryder has just fallen completely off his meds. Now he makes
Me nervous. Im glad he doesnt live in my AO. Having that type of loose
cannon living anywhere near would put him high on the list.

Gunner

On Mon, 29 Nov 99 21:34:04 GMT, jayryde...@micron.net (JayRyder)

Old Guy

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
JayRyder wrote:

snip

> Judges are among the most corrupt and tyrranical in any democracy.

So, what is _your_ solution? To _NEVER_ have _ANY_ judges in a
democracy, or to just never have a democracy? Should there be any
leaders, or any laws? Can't have laws without judges, can you?

snip

> Whyd you post this bunk?

I thought you deserved an answer, just as I think you deserve this
_LAST_ reply from me. I think I'll just sign off of this newsgroup
since you have made it so unpleasant; you are a pest and a nuisance
like a little fly. I am actually getting a lot of useful information
from the various survival newslists which are moderated and won't
tolerate your crap.

> You wrote this right
> after you finished jacking off over a stephanie post? You do realize he is
> nothing more than an admitted troll?

"He"? Darn, I'm sooo disappointed.

> Read that lusers admission a few weeks ago?

Like my admission that I was some pimple-faced teenager -- the one
that you swallowed ... hook, line, and sinker? Ha, ha, ha ... Talk
about being a gullible idiot ... you didn't know which way was up!

> |The occasional postings were when I forgot to change my identity when
> |posting to this newsgroup; this, of course, resulted in my revealing
> |that I am also "Old Guy" by unintentionally having my _real_ identity
> |listed under sender and at the same time using "Old Guy" in my sig line.
> |Duhhhhh. Darwinism in action, as you would say.
>
> That what you want?

No, it was just a mistake; I sometimes make them. Why? Are you
threatening me?

> Id shoot you down for your fascist kingdomship.

I understand.

snip

> |Anyway, Jay, since Christmas is near, do you think you could give
> |an old JBT a break? I really don't need any hassles now.
>
> Thats up to you now, oldguy, velek.

Okay, Jay. But the problem is that I believe that I could kiss your
ass in Times Square and you would still be arrogant, rude, insulting,
and make threats to me anyway. You will no doubt reply to this post,
and I will let you have the last word. As far as I'm concerned, this
and any reply that you make will be the last communication between us.
The moment I get any e-mails of any threatening nature, as soon as I
realize it I will quit reading it (don't want to give you or others
the satisfaction), and will file it in a directory where I save all
threats just in case something should ever happen to me. I know you
are smart enough to fix your e-mails so they can't be traced back to
you, but I will leave that to the authorities if and when it becomes
necessary; my point, though, is that I will stop reading anything the
moment I realize that it's either harassment or a threat, so any
efforts you spend along those lines will just be a waste of time ...
but maybe you don't have anything better to do, right? Get a life!

> Bill, what color is your house? ... snip ... Ive seen your addy in
> the cc: field.

More veiled threats?

And I suppose you think that folks on this newsgroup will ever have
any respect for you or your opinions? I doubt it, ... at least not
while you use "JayRyder" as your handle; but sure, you'll just pick
another alias to use, won't you? It's _EASY_ to be a coward; it's
a lot tougher to stand up and be counted, using your _REAL_ name.

One last thing, bozo: I'm not afraid to die because I have faith in
Jesus Christ and have lived a good Christian life despite what you
might think of me just because I'm a judge; I do worry about my wife
and children though, and so I don't _wish_ to die, and will take
steps to avoid it, such as adopting an alias (discretion being the
better part of valor) and bending over backwards to be nice and
polite to assholes like you which I'm sure helps you to get your
rocks off. But you, sir, are nothing but a punk coward, so I'm not
going to give you the pleasure -- I won't worry much about you ...
now or if things go crazy in the future. I figure that you'd just
shoot me in the back anyway, so I won't even see it coming.

I also wish to take this opportunity to thank my many friends here on
this newsgroup who have come to my defense. I really appreciate that.

Judge Bill Velek (aka Old Guy)
Member of the NRA and proud Military Veteran (Jay would never cut it)

Canopy Co Tulsa OK

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Hay!!!!
Please post here!!
If not, please send me a copy.

As to j, as far as I am concerned, he can be pissed on as well as off ;-)

Canopy Co Tulsa OK

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
I would hate to see you leave us.
Particularly over a peace of useless trash like j.
Hope you just kill file him instead.

David Moffitt

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

"Old Guy" <old...@aol.com> wrote in message

> JayRyder wrote:
>
> I also wish to take this opportunity to thank my many friends here on
> this newsgroup who have come to my defense. I really appreciate that.
>
> Judge Bill Velek (aka Old Guy)
> Member of the NRA and proud Military Veteran (Jay would never cut it)

%%% Everyone just needs to killfile SheepSodimizer and never respond to his
posts. He is trying to be Tim May and he is no Tim May.I even have a little
respect for Tim (kill them all, let God sort them out) May. SheepSodimizer
gets nothing! He has claimed to be a well known writer in the past and
can't/too chicken shit to use his true name. He is probably yhe author of
the prose on shithouse walls!

David Moffitt Lifetime NRA Member-----and damn proud of it!

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every
other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an
American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of
either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it
will ever remain, in the hands of the people." Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania
Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Joseph Fowler

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

Go on post! Any-one that can survive with out food or change in the food
they eat is a better man then I. Or please send them to me.

Canopy Co Tulsa OK <cano...@aol.com> wrote in message

anymouse

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
In article <38440E72...@aol.com>, Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:

>I thought you deserved an answer, just as I think you deserve this

>_LAST_ reply from me. I think I'll just sign off of this newsgroup

>since you have made it so unpleasant; you are a pest and a nuisance

>like a little fly. I am actually getting a lot of useful information
>from the various survival newslists which are moderated and won't
>tolerate your crap.

Awww dude. You don't have to read his crap, nor reply to it. If you
quit doing either of those things you can stick around without getting
your bowels in an uproar. Besides I remember a judge once who gave me
a break (I think) simply because I stood in front of him and said I
didn't need a lawyer because I was guilty as a dog. I noticed that my
sentence was a little more lenient than those of some others who had
lawyers argue their case (DUI). I guess some of them are OK while some
are no doubt real sorry bastards but, then, that's true of all people.

A.T. Hagan

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99
Bill,

Since you ask more of these kinds of questions than anyone
else in the newsgroup I have a book to suggest for you:

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

By Harold McGee
ISBN# 0-02-034621-2
Published by Macmillian Publishing Co.

It's written for the lay audience (that's us) and covers many
of the kinds of questions you have. I think you'd find it to be very
interesting reading.

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:34:42 -0600, Bill & Pat Velek
<ve...@cyberback.com> wrote:

>I'll cut right to the chase and start with my _main_ questions:
>
>How can I make corn syrup?

Corn syrup is made by reacting the starch granules in corn with either
an acid (typically sulfuric, I think) or with a fungally produced
enzyme (Aspergillua oryzae, also used in breaking down rice to make
sake). The acid or enzymes break down the long carbohydrate (starch)
molecules into shorter carbohydrate (sugars) molecules, a mixture of
glucose and maltose, with some longer chain molecules remaining
depending on how far the reaction is taken. It's theoretically
possible to do this in the home but probably not very practical.

>How can I make corn sugar?

Corn sugar is another term for dextrose which is itself a synonym for
glucose. It's made by more completely reacting the starch molecules
in the corn syrup reaction. Same problem as above.

>How can I make corn starch?

Corn starch, at least on the commercial scale, is possible because of
wet-milling. The grain is dampened, put through a roller mill and the
tough hull and the germ removed. The remainder of the kernel (called
the endosperm) is then milled, sieved, and centrifuged to remove the
remaining protein. What's left is washed, dried and remilled into a
fine powder. You might be able to roughly approximate this by
coarsely milling corn and then sieving/screening out the hull and as
much of the germ as you can get. Getting the matrix proteins out of
the endosperm is not going to be possible but you may not need to.

Of course the storage life on corn starch is indefinite so you could
just store a couple of buckets of it.

>How can I make corn oil?

Again, an industrial process. The germ of the corn kernels is
collected in the milling process, heated and pressed in hydraulic
presses to squeeze out the oil. Probably a solvent in there as well,
most oils are extracted that way to improve efficiency. Corn is not a
good oil seed, it's only the availability of the concentrated grain
germ that really makes it possible.

You can take a kernel of plain old dent corn, put it on an anvil and
whack it with a hammer and it will leave an oily spot. I don't think
even with a very heavy hydraulic jack will you be able to get any
usable quantity of oil from whole kernel corn though. Now, feed that
corn to a pig and render the animal down for lard and you're onto
something, which is exactly what was done before the advent of the
above industrial processes.

>I think I already know how to make corn meal ;-)

Good <grin>

>I also have some questions later in this post about sugar beets. If we
>experience TEOTWAWKI, and for awhile we revert to "the old ways", how
>can I make sweeteners?

Ripe fruit was a much bigger deal back then, for obvious reasons. We
decided to get into beekeeping as our way to deal with the problem.
Blueberry honey makes a very attractive gift.

> Aside from honey, and molasses from sugar cane
>which I have an idea of how to make (don't have the equipment though and
>don't know anyone whose ever grown sugar cane in these parts), it seems
>that the remaining choices are sugar beets and corn sugar.

You're in Are-kansas as I recall which is too far North for
sugar cane. What you want to look for is cane sorghum. It's the
other traditional cane syrup (not molasses, a sugar refining
by-product) here in the South. I'm sure there ought to be at least a
few folks still growing and making syrup from sorghum within easy
driving distance of you. There's a lot of different kinds of sorghum
so you want to make sure it's the right variety for making syrup.
When the canes are ripe you cut them, run them through a mill to
squeeze out the juice and boil it down into syrup, just as with sugar
cane. Pretty good stuff if it's made right.

>I'm not sure about the sugar beets -- how it compares in sugar yield to
>corn; how much better or worse it grows; how much more or less it is
>susceptible to problems (blight, drought, insects), etc; how much more
>or less fertilizer it requires; how much easier or harder it is to
>harvest and produce the sugar; and what useful by-products it might make
>or other uses it might have. Does anyone out there have a general
>answer as to whether sugar beets might be a better choice than corn?

I can't address growing sugar beets, I'm much too far South for them
to be feasible. Sugar yield is roughly comparable to sugar cane and
sugar beets still account for maybe 40% of the world sugar production.
The process of making the sugar is roughly similar as well but I don't
have the information on some critical parts. Grind up the roots,
squeeze out the juice and boil it down. The difficult part is
refining the syrup, a must because beet syrup has some very
undesirable compounds that make a nasty flavor. Beet sugar must be
much more highly refined than sugar cane sugar before you'll want to
use it.

If I had the need and the location to grow sugar beets I'd do some
experimentation along the lines of filtering the beet juice (before
boiling) through packed columns of charcoal (the real stuff, NOT
briquettes) to lighten the color as much as I could. Having done
that, I'd then boil the syrup down past the point of crystallization
and pour it into conical shape molds. Once the syrup begins to
crystallize I'd pull out a small plug and let any portions that were
slow to crystallize drip out. What's left ought to be fairly close to
pure sugar. Depending on how strongly flavored the impurities are you
might need to repeat the whole process again. The above is an
approximation of some of the earliest sugar refining methods and could
probably be greatly improved upon with some thought and research.

>I guess I should really consider growing both for redundancy, but I
>still need answers to my questions. Also, does anyone out there know
>the best way to make a press?

I've been wanting to buy a press for years, I know where there's a
dozen or more in current use but the things are several hundred
dollars for the very few I've ever found actually for sale. A lot of
money for something that is, I hope, only a theoretical need. Might
be able to make one though.

At its most basic a cane press is just a revolving drum set at a
particular (fairly close) distance from a non-revolving drum (I've
seen them where both turned as well). You apply a motive force (a
mule, a tractor or you) to turn the drum and someone feeds the cane
stalks between the rollers. The stalk is crushed, the juice runs out
and is collected in a drum, bucket, what-have-you. Filter the chunky
bits out and boil it down. The entire process from start-to-finish is
dog hard work if you're going to make more than about ten gallons of
syrup. Spent part of a summer helping a great uncle make cane syrup
for commercial sale. Never saw so much lighter knot being burned in
my life. Damn good syrup though.

>Getting back to corn: can anyone tell me how to make corn syrup, corn
>sugar (I assume the syrup is dried to crystals), corn starch, and corn
>oil?

Actually, corn syrup will not dry to crystals. This is why it's used
so much in candy making. Makes for smoother confections.

You really ought to get a copy of that book, about 80% of what I just
told you came straight out of it.

......................Alan.

--
From the House at Cat's Green -- Alan T. Hagan, NRA Life Member

The Universe is utterly indifferent to the fact that
you do not realize the consequences of your actions,
you will have to deal with them just the same.

Author of
The Prudent Pantry: Your Guide to Building a Food Insurance Program

From Borderline Press, Inc. http://www.providenceco-op.com

Prudent Food Storage FAQ editor. The FAQ is available from:

http://www.providenceco-op.com (ver 3.5)
http://www.waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/ (ver 3.0)
http://www.chetday.com/fsfaqmenu.html (ver 3.0)
http://www.mrssurvival.com/foodstoragefaq.txt (ver 3.0)
http://www.bwolf.com/area3.html (ver 3.0)
http://www.yonderway.com/rural/foodstorage/default.shtml (ver 3.0)
http://www.ocweb.com/y2k/Practical.htm#pfs (ver 3.0)
http://www.hischaracter.com/foods.htm (ver 3.5)
http://y2kchaos.com/s35p992.htm (ver 3.0)
http://www.survivalnet.org (ver 3.0)(EUROPE)
http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetIULU/faq.html (ver 3.0) (EUROPE)
http://millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Hollys.html (ver3.0) (AUSTRALIA)

The most current FAQ version is now 3.5

Stephanie

Nov 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/30/99

Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote

> > You wrote this right
> > after you finished jacking off over a stephanie post? You do realize he
is
> > nothing more than an admitted troll?
>
> "He"? Darn, I'm sooo disappointed.
>
> > Read that lusers admission a few weeks ago?
>
> Like my admission that I was some pimple-faced teenager -- the one
> that you swallowed ... hook, line, and sinker? Ha, ha, ha ... Talk
> about being a gullible idiot ... you didn't know which way was up!

I recommend quiet observation, your Honor. It's not easy being an angry
borderline psychotic. Determining which way is up is difficult for him. He
can't hear you anyway. He's isolated and dealing with internal demons.

Allow the Idaho countryside to heal him and take care of him.

Old Guy

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Since you ask more of these kinds of questions than anyone
> else in the newsgroup I have a book to suggest for you:
>
> On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
>
> By Harold McGee
> ISBN# 0-02-034621-2
> Published by Macmillian Publishing Co.
>
> It's written for the lay audience (that's us) and covers many
> of the kinds of questions you have. I think you'd find it to be very
> interesting reading.

Thanks. I'll try to get a copy.

> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:34:42 -0600, Bill & Pat Velek
> <ve...@cyberback.com> wrote:
>
> >I'll cut right to the chase and start with my _main_ questions:
> >
> >How can I make corn syrup?
>
> Corn syrup is made by reacting the starch granules in corn with either
> an acid (typically sulfuric, I think) or with a fungally produced
> enzyme (Aspergillua oryzae, also used in breaking down rice to make
> sake). The acid or enzymes break down the long carbohydrate (starch)
> molecules into shorter carbohydrate (sugars) molecules, a mixture of
> glucose and maltose, with some longer chain molecules remaining
> depending on how far the reaction is taken. It's theoretically
> possible to do this in the home but probably not very practical.

Hey, it just occurred to me that maybe this could be done in the same
manner as making malt extract in whole grain brewing. I home brew,
but I always use extracts instead of whole grains; however, I am a
bit aware of the process -- the malting, roasting/drying, grinding,
cooking of the grain with temperature stops, sparging, and the use of
amylase to help convert some starches to sugar. Do you think a similar
process could be employed with corn? If so, do you have any idea if
the temperature stops would be the same as for barley; I would assume
that they would be, but what do you think? Would amylase be needed
for corn, and if so, how much do you think would be needed per pound
of corn?

> >How can I make corn sugar?
>
> Corn sugar is another term for dextrose which is itself a synonym for
> glucose. It's made by more completely reacting the starch molecules
> in the corn syrup reaction. Same problem as above.

If I can make malt extract from the corn, I can make DME which I would
suppose, in that particular case, would essentially be corn sugar. Of
course, since sugar stores so well, I realize now that the best thing
I can do is to just store a couple of years worth of sugar. ;-)

> >How can I make corn starch?
>
> Corn starch, at least on the commercial scale, is possible because of
> wet-milling. The grain is dampened, put through a roller mill and the
> tough hull and the germ removed. The remainder of the kernel (called
> the endosperm) is then milled, sieved, and centrifuged to remove the
> remaining protein. What's left is washed, dried and remilled into a
> fine powder. You might be able to roughly approximate this by
> coarsely milling corn and then sieving/screening out the hull and as
> much of the germ as you can get. Getting the matrix proteins out of
> the endosperm is not going to be possible but you may not need to.
>
> Of course the storage life on corn starch is indefinite so you could
> just store a couple of buckets of it.

Undoubtedly the best course of action.

> >How can I make corn oil?
>
> Again, an industrial process. The germ of the corn kernels is
> collected in the milling process, heated and pressed in hydraulic
> presses to squeeze out the oil. Probably a solvent in there as well,
> most oils are extracted that way to improve efficiency. Corn is not a
> good oil seed, it's only the availability of the concentrated grain
> germ that really makes it possible.
>
> You can take a kernel of plain old dent corn, put it on an anvil and
> whack it with a hammer and it will leave an oily spot. I don't think
> even with a very heavy hydraulic jack will you be able to get any
> usable quantity of oil from whole kernel corn though. Now, feed that
> corn to a pig and render the animal down for lard and you're onto
> something, which is exactly what was done before the advent of the
> above industrial processes.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I forgot that folks in the old days used
so much lard.

> >I think I already know how to make corn meal ;-)
>
> Good <grin>
>
> >I also have some questions later in this post about sugar beets. If we
> >experience TEOTWAWKI, and for awhile we revert to "the old ways", how
> >can I make sweeteners?
>
> Ripe fruit was a much bigger deal back then, for obvious reasons. We
> decided to get into beekeeping as our way to deal with the problem.
> Blueberry honey makes a very attractive gift.

I'm looking into that, but am not sure I have enough time to do it at
this late date.

snip

> sugar beets still account for maybe 40% of the world sugar production.

> ... snip ... The difficult part is

> refining the syrup, a must because beet syrup has some very
> undesirable compounds that make a nasty flavor. Beet sugar must be
> much more highly refined than sugar cane sugar before you'll want to
> use it.

Now I'm _sure_ that I'm going to store plenty of sugar ;-)

snip

Thanks again for your help. I'm _definitely_ goint to get that book.
Until then, I have a couple more questions that I'll put under their
own threads.

Cheers.

Old Guy

JayRyder

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
In article <38440E72...@aol.com>, Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:

|JayRyder wrote:
|
|snip

|> Judges are among the most corrupt and tyrranical in any democracy.
|

|So, what is _your_ solution?

You arent going to answer, and as a govt worker, you wouldnt understand anyway.

[snip]

| you are a pest and a nuisance
|like a little fly.

Thats polite.

| I am actually getting a lot of useful information
|from the various survival newslists which are moderated and won't
|tolerate your crap.

I run several of them. Few are worth the effort; one that you are subscribed
to will be folding soon, thanks to lazy people like yourself. The one I run
with this account is OK.

[snip]

|[you are] a gullible idiot

Thats pleasant.

[snip]

|you [are] arrogant, rude, insulting,

[snip]

|I know you
|are smart enough to fix your e-mails so they can't be traced back to

Sorry yerhonor, havent done that with you.

|you, but I will leave that to the authorities if and when it becomes
|necessary;

What? Youre uncle, the judge/authority?

Up yours.

|[you are a] coward

Uh huh.

|[I am] bending over backwards to be nice and
|polite

Really?

| to assholes like you

Lovely. Wonderful religious words your church teaches.

|[you] are nothing but a punk coward

Ooooo! 'coward' twice now.

[drivelpurge (tm)]

Thanks for the clarification.

One question remains. How many people have you put in cages? Just a few
thousand? Or have you reached five figures? Hmmm? Get up to that 'bench'mark
yet? Rival your buddies, hmmm? Put over 9,999 into the system yet?

Finally, Im glad youve archived any threats. They are probably very real...Ive
already told you Ive heard from many of your victims. Youre a fool to post like
you have--and one of the ten judges who have made the mistakes you have in the
entire country. As someone who is fully indoctrinated in the legal profession,
I can say youre an idiot to post your real name when your address is listed.
Very few have recovered from such darwinism.

Why did you snip so much from my post? Enquiring minds wanna know. I mean,
lots of people here, and the majority on the net hate fascism. You are the very
definition of statism. Please tell us. Please include a list of all the
usernames that the sundry state supreme kourt justices use also.

Gunner

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:50:43 -0600, Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:

>I also wish to take this opportunity to thank my many friends here on
>this newsgroup who have come to my defense. I really appreciate that.

Judge, you have my respect, and I really do not wish to see you run
off by the little scrote. Just killfile him. Your posts have been
interesting and enjoyable to read.

Btw, if any of us here thought the scrote was dangerous, or if we
thought he had harmed you, or most anyone else here, at least one
person would make the scrote's ears, home decor items. Guarenteed.

Gunner

JayRyder

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99

"Stephanie" <Step...@SwedGer.Com> wrote in message

> I recommend quiet observation, your Honor. It's not easy being an angry
> borderline psychotic. Determining which way is up is difficult for him. He
> can't hear you anyway. He's isolated and dealing with internal demons.
>
> Allow the Idaho countryside to heal him and take care of him.

Who are you calling borderline?

JayRyder

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
In article <8236oa$3oke$1...@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>,
"JayRyder" <JayRyde...@micron.net> wrote:

|Who are you calling borderline?

Nope, I didnt. Wasnt me.

david_ga...@my-deja.com

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
In article <3844BA11...@aol.com>,
Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:

> "A.T. Hagan" wrote:
>

> Hey, it just occurred to me that maybe this could be done in the same
> manner as making malt extract in whole grain brewing. I home brew,
> but I always use extracts instead of whole grains; however, I am a
> bit aware of the process -- the malting, roasting/drying, grinding,
> cooking of the grain with temperature stops, sparging, and the use of
> amylase to help convert some starches to sugar. Do you think a
similar
> process could be employed with corn?

Surely can. Being in a judge in AR, you should be able to find an old
former moonshiner who will tell you the tricks of converting the
starches in corn into fermentable sugars, a neccessary step in making
mash from corn. ( Or you could look it up in the Foxfire books, or get
the details from rec.crafts.brewing <G>)

>If so, do you have any idea if
> the temperature stops would be the same as for barley; I would assume
> that they would be, but what do you think? Would amylase be needed
> for corn, and if so, how much do you think would be needed per pound
> of corn?

You could sprout the corn to get the corn enzyme, or use Sulfuric acid.
I know I've seen this on r.c.b.

> If I can make malt extract from the corn, I can make DME which I would
> suppose, in that particular case, would essentially be corn sugar. Of
> course, since sugar stores so well, I realize now that the best thing
> I can do is to just store a couple of years worth of sugar. ;-)

Of course, if you have LME or DME, you already have a sweetener, which
started this whole thread. <G>

> Old Guy

Also, as A.T. Hagan suggested,look into sorghum. Syrup, Crystalline
sugar, animal feed grain, human edible grain (for at least 5000 years),
makes a decent beer, and the pressed stalks can be used as livestock
feed.

David Hughes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Canopy Co Tulsa OK

Dec 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/2/99
At least a few would be out hunting.
You can have the ears.
Others would like what is between them, on a pike.

In article <384cd19b...@news.uia.net>, gun...@cyberg8t.com (Gunner)

Bob Gilbert

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
On 02 Dec 1999 22:53:35 GMT, cano...@aol.com (Canopy Co Tulsa OK)
wrote:

Canopy.

You totally misunderstand Gunner's meaning.

Me? I'd let him have he ears. I've let others collect them before,
for the reward.

NOT the part _I'D_ collect if I was really mad ... and I would not let
them die first.

Gunner is just being nice.

Bob

A person's spirit is defined by the person's
thoughts, words and deeds.
NOT by what was done to the person in the past.
(Old native american saying)

Steve Spence

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99
give a gander at http://www.webconx.com/ethanol.htm

--
Steve Spence
Renewable Energy Pages

--

<david_ga...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> In article <3844BA11...@aol.com>,
> Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:
> > "A.T. Hagan" wrote:
> >

> > Hey, it just occurred to me that maybe this could be done in the same
> > manner as making malt extract in whole grain brewing. I home brew,
> > but I always use extracts instead of whole grains; however, I am a
> > bit aware of the process -- the malting, roasting/drying, grinding,
> > cooking of the grain with temperature stops, sparging, and the use of
> > amylase to help convert some starches to sugar. Do you think a
> similar
> > process could be employed with corn?
>

> Surely can. Being in a judge in AR, you should be able to find an old
> former moonshiner who will tell you the tricks of converting the
> starches in corn into fermentable sugars, a neccessary step in making
> mash from corn. ( Or you could look it up in the Foxfire books, or get
> the details from rec.crafts.brewing <G>)
>

> >If so, do you have any idea if
> > the temperature stops would be the same as for barley; I would assume
> > that they would be, but what do you think? Would amylase be needed
> > for corn, and if so, how much do you think would be needed per pound
> > of corn?
> >

> You could sprout the corn to get the corn enzyme, or use Sulfuric acid.
> I know I've seen this on r.c.b.
>

> > If I can make malt extract from the corn, I can make DME which I would
> > suppose, in that particular case, would essentially be corn sugar. Of
> > course, since sugar stores so well, I realize now that the best thing
> > I can do is to just store a couple of years worth of sugar. ;-)

A.T. Hagan

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:02:57 -0600, Old Guy <old...@aol.com> wrote:

>Hey, it just occurred to me that maybe this could be done in the same
>manner as making malt extract in whole grain brewing. I home brew,
>but I always use extracts instead of whole grains; however, I am a
>bit aware of the process -- the malting, roasting/drying, grinding,
>cooking of the grain with temperature stops, sparging, and the use of
>amylase to help convert some starches to sugar. Do you think a similar
>process could be employed with corn? If so, do you have any idea if
>the temperature stops would be the same as for barley; I would assume
>that they would be, but what do you think? Would amylase be needed
>for corn, and if so, how much do you think would be needed per pound
>of corn?

I'm not a brewer (don't care for beer) but it's my understanding that
you can malt any grain that will sprout. I don't see why it would be
any different for corn that it would be for barley. The process used
in brewing would work for producing sweetener as well, though malt
syrup is pretty strongly flavored. You could probably try refining
the malt syrup to get some of the flavor components out but it would
likely be a lot of work.

You posted a question on storing raw peanuts a few days ago
and I just now accidentally deleted it without fully reading it. Did
you get an answer? If not, resend it and I'll see what I can do.

Bill & Pat Velek

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
"A.T. Hagan" wrote:

snip

> You posted a question on storing raw peanuts a few days ago
> and I just now accidentally deleted it without fully reading it. Did
> you get an answer?

I received a variety of answers, including both posts and private
e-mail; some skirted the issue, and some expressly confirmed what I
had more or less suspected, as follows:

If the nuts contain enough moisture (green raw nuts), they will
mildew. Reading between the lines, I assume that if I were to dry
the nuts with my dehydrator, they would still be "raw" but would not
be susceptible to mildew. Of course, they still contain oil, though,
so they can still go rancid.

If I roast the nuts, then they are no longer suitable for recipes
which specifically call for "raw" nuts. If I roast the nuts, they
will not mildew, but can still become rancid; this can be delayed by
protecting them from oxygen by using oxygen absorbers or by dry
canning in Mason jars. I have also been told that salt will help
to discourage rancidity, but I don't know if that is just someone's
suspicion since no explanation was offered and I'll not aware of how
salt would prevent oxidation. I suppose that if rancidity is based
on a biological process (bacteria), the salt could deter that.

So that's what I've been told, in a nut shell (pardon the pun ;-)

Thank you to everyone who responded.

Bill Velek

the nuts with either