is this graffiti

1 view

blackjack

Apr 8, 2006, 9:30:51 PM4/8/06

is this graffiti

I know this is trivial but i would appreciate any help. I own a
pressure washing business. Typically when I'm in a neighborhood, I will
pressure wash my co. name and phone in in the street gutters with a
stencil. Recently I stenciled one on the concrete where a group of
mailboxes was sitting. I got a call from the postmaster. I am not
painting; I am removing dirt and the clean spot that remains spells my
name and number. Am I really breaking the law according to the
definition of graffiti? I looked up some federal codes under the post
office section and didn't see anything that looked like it applied to
me. I would hate to have to remove all the stencils that I've done.
Wouldn't that be the same thing? I would just be cleaning a bigger spot
of concrete (without my name and number of course).

Thx for any help.
blackjack

--
blackjack
blackjack's Profile: http://www.slashlegal.com/member.php?userid=131

Deadrat

Apr 8, 2006, 11:08:15 PM4/8/06

"blackjack" <ktk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:blackjac...@no-mx.slashlegal.com...

> is this graffiti

> I know this is trivial but i would appreciate any help. I own a
> pressure washing business. Typically when I'm in a neighborhood, I will
> pressure wash my co. name and phone in in the street gutters with a
> stencil. Recently I stenciled one on the concrete where a group of
> mailboxes was sitting. I got a call from the postmaster. I am not
> painting; I am removing dirt and the clean spot that remains spells my
> name and number. Am I really breaking the law according to the
> definition of graffiti? I looked up some federal codes under the post
> office section and didn't see anything that looked like it applied to
> me. I would hate to have to remove all the stencils that I've done.
> Wouldn't that be the same thing? I would just be cleaning a bigger spot
> of concrete (without my name and number of course).
>
> Thx for any help.
> blackjack
<snip>

Even you have to suspect that your argument is too clever by half.
The postmaster no doubt has a reasonable regulation to enforce,
namely that private companies cannot use federal property to
advertise without permission (or payment). And that's what you're
doing, isn't it? It doesn't matter that the ad is composed of "clean"
spots and not painted areas.

It sounds like most of the stencils you've done are on curbs that
no doubt belong to the local governments. The postmaster has
as much interest in the curbs as he does jurisdiction. You might
get a call from a city attorney, though, and for the same reason.
Think about it. Would you like it if your competitors were to
stencil their company names on all the local curbs? On the other
hand, maybe no one has bothered to complain, especially if your
clean spots are short-lived ads.

*** I am not a lawyer, so this can't be legal advice. ***

Barky Bark

Apr 9, 2006, 1:15:36 AM4/9/06
I actually think that's a damn clever way of advertising, and I'm not sure
what law he'd be breaking. I'd like to see that go before a judge.

Deadrat

Apr 9, 2006, 2:25:22 AM4/9/06

"Barky Bark" <bark...@bonksbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I actually think that's a damn clever way of advertising, and I'm not sure
> what law he'd be breaking. I'd like to see that go before a judge.

As I said, too damn clever by half. Google "private advertising" "public facilities";
it'll take you two minutes to find county and municipal codes that forbid private
or political advertising on public property.

Message has been deleted

a@b.c

Apr 9, 2006, 8:43:10 AM4/9/06
On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:30:51 -0400, blackjack <ktk...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>me. I would hate to have to remove all the stencils that I've done.
>Wouldn't that be the same thing? I would just be cleaning a bigger spot
>of concrete (without my name and number of course).

You can't solve the problem by cleaning a bigger spot. You have to
replace the grime you stole.

EvilOppressorOfConservatives

Apr 9, 2006, 12:16:02 PM4/9/06

"blackjack" <ktk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> is this graffiti

> I know this is trivial but i would appreciate any help. I own a
> pressure washing business. Typically when I'm in a neighborhood, I will
> pressure wash my co. name and phone in in the street gutters with a
> stencil. Recently I stenciled one on the concrete where a group of
> mailboxes was sitting. I got a call from the postmaster.

And what was the Content/Nature of the PostMaster's "call"? A
Complaint/Request that you REFRAIN from Engaging in "Reverse Graffiti"?

THE FIRST THING that occurs to me is the FACT that PostMaster is a
FEDERAL Officer/Employee; that "concrete" is a Rather VAGUE & NEBULOUS
Description of the Property/Facilities that you Admittedly "Reverse
Graffitied"; is DIFFERENT from your Initial Indication that you Routinely
"Reverse Graffiti" "in in the street gutters" and thus prevents an
Understanding of Just Whose Property Rights the PostMaster may have been
addressing...

Thus, I can only reply that UNLESS you "Reverse Graffitied" the
"concrete" around the "neighborhood" Drop Boxes ON U.S.Government Property,
[i.e. The PO Parking Lot] that Herr PostMaster simply has NO Authority to
call & request that you refrain from Manipulating In Any Way, the "concrete"
[i.e. Sidewalks/Gutters][Likely Municipal Property] Near & Around the
"neighborhood" Drop Boxes...

There Most Likely IS some US Code or *Code Of Federal Regulation* that
addresses Bona Fide "Graffiti", but I doubt that it does or could Define the
*removal* of Dirt/Grime/Spittle/Etc as said Graffiti; Prohibit its
"placement"; and set Fines for "Reverse Graffiti" activity...

{Might wanna check on what Das Patrioten Akt has t'say WRT "Enemy
Taggers/Reverse-Taggers"]

> I am not
> painting; I am removing dirt and the clean spot that remains spells my
> name and number. Am I really breaking the law according to the
> definition of graffiti?

This Question is ABSOLUTLEY IMPOSSIBLE to Answer until you Declare what
Property was "Reverse Graffitied", whether that Property is Federal or State
or Municipal Property, hence, what Entity has Jurisdiction, and Not The
Least, whether the Controlling Jurisdiction can Cite Statute/Admin Reg
Authority defining & prohibiting "Reverse Graffiti"...

> I looked up some federal codes under the post
> office section and didn't see anything that looked like it applied to
> me.

I take it then that PM only said Words to The Effect of: "...And DON'T Do
It Again!"? Did NOT himself Cite ANY so much as Vague Code/section?

> I would hate to have to remove all the stencils that I've done.

What makes y'think y'would?

> Wouldn't that be the same thing? I would just be cleaning a bigger spot
> of concrete (without my name and number of course).

"Catcha 22! Catcha 22! WHAHT'SA Catcha 22?!?

> Thx for any help.
> blackjack

Naughtius "_ROMANI_ITE_DOMUM_" Maximus
--
"...He's a Rebel
And he'll never ever be any good

"The FIRST thing we do, let's KILL all the TVs"

"...And those that are Fools
Let them use their Talents..."

COMING SOON: naughtius.org