Baby Modeling Tips

Joe DiNero

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Hi we have a 4 month old girl and would like her to get into baby
modeling. Can anyone shed some light on how to get into this, average
cost to get started, good reputable agencies etc. We are in NY so we are
right in the heart of many agenigies. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Joe

Christopher Biow

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
Joe DiNero <jdi...@optonline.net> wrote:

You can search DejaNews for previous threads on the subject. Just look for
"modeling" in misc.kids, though I think it's been almost a year since it
has come up.

The capsule version is that it is most feasible in the few cities that have
major advertising industries, such as NY, Chicago, and LA in the US. A
typical day might involve four hours in a waiting room and then making a
few hundred dollars if your child is one of the few chosen for the shoot.
Needless to say, your child should be very patient. He/she does not need to
be unusually attractive; small and young-looking for age helps.

But the cardinal rule of child modeling is that you do not ever pay a
single penny of your money to any so-called "agency" for any reason
whatever, nor do you patronize any photography studio to which they refer
you. *They* pay *you*. Before signing with an agency, get three references
to families whose children have had successful modeling careers through the
agency. Confirm them by phone. The majority of posts we see on this subject
are from parents who have been asked to front several hundred dollars for
portraiture by companies that have never actually placed a child model.
These companies simply prey on the vanity of parents.

Is there anyone with successful experience in child modeling who'd be
willing to help work on a FAQ for this?