Good Pregnancy Books

Talkles

May 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/11/97

"The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears and his wife Martha was my favorite book and
covers a lot of ground-there was also a whole chapter devoted to different
women's birthstories which was very interesting and informative.Their "The
Baby Book" covers pregnancy a little, Breastfeeding very well(It is a lot
harder to start and stay on track without this kind of support and info)
and babies a LOT. Anything by Sheila Kitzinger is informative and geared
towards truthfulness. I recommend her "The (first?)Year After Birth"
particularly because she is the only author to have addressed a lot of the
problems that I encountered early on. And I'm talking about me, not the
baby. Wish I'd had some idea what life would be like, postpartum with
complications. Her "Complete Pregnancy Book" is great for
technical/biological aspects. I found any book with actual experiences in
it (and there are quite a few) to be very interesting and useful.
Good luck

KJ

May 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/11/97

My favorites are:

Mayo Clinic's Guide - a $30 coffee table-sized book that is
neither condescending nor flower-child-y. Excellent photos too.

Girlfriend's Guide by Vicky Iovine - absolutely hilarious. If you read
it for medical advice you probably also look for "Cathy" comic strip
anthologies in the business section of the bookstore.

Karen