OT: Child modelling?

CY

Jul 7, 2004, 7:39:25 PM7/7/04
I know there was someone here that had their cute little girl in a print ad
for something and this is basically for you (I just don't remember who you
were, sorry!)...

My DD and I have been approached multiple times by strangers telling us that
"she should be on TV she is so cute". I mean I always thought she was cute
but figured I am her mother so a little biased! I decided to look into it a
bit and we were invited to an open audition that they told us was for
Gerber.

Long story short, we received a call today saying that out of 300+ kids she
was one of ten selected to go forward and be submitted to Gerber. However,
they also want us to go and get headshots done and this whole marketing
package and are asking us for $675 for this. This seems outrageous to me
and surely must be a scam. They are probably telling all 300 kids the same
thing, don't you think? As much as I would love to believe she is special,
this seems a little much.

So my question is, how on earth do you know the real deal from a scam? And
how do you even get into this kind of thing...

Any parents who've BTDT (and been successful) I'd love to hear from you!

TIA...

CY

db

Jul 7, 2004, 8:55:20 PM7/7/04

"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

No experience here but do you have to get their photographer to do the
portfolio? If so- that's a pretty sure sign it's a scam. Tell them you've
already got someone else to do exactly the same thing as their "marketing
package". If they say "No"- walk away.

Plissken

Jul 7, 2004, 10:43:27 PM7/7/04

"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Haven't BTDT but this absolutely sounds like a scam to me. If you want your
daughter to be a model, research legitimate child modelling agencies and go
and interview them all. I'm sure you will find that most of them are not
going to ask for $675 up front. I would also phone the place that offered
you this package find out what the company is called and then call the
Better Business Bureau to see if they are a legitimate company. My 2 cents.

By the way it was Jamie Clark who's child is a model and this post might be
helpful to you...

http://tinyurl.com/2sfuk

HTH
Nadene

Christine

Jul 7, 2004, 10:59:01 PM7/7/04
I dont know....anything about it.....BUT, do you mean ( Jamie Clarks )
little girl???
I think she is a model...;-))

do you have a pic of her????
I'd love to see the little peanut....;-))

Christine.

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=9T8S0V9F5G

Irrational Number

Jul 7, 2004, 11:57:49 PM7/7/04
CY wrote:
> [...] we were invited to an open audition that they told us was for
> Gerber.
> [...]
> So my question is, how on earth do you know the real deal from a scam? And
> how do you even get into this kind of thing...

Not child-specific, but in general, when you audition
for anything, you do not pay to get a job. I know more
about auditioning for theatre, but I think the same
applies throughout the industry. An open audition
means anyone can come and be seen by the producers
(or Gerber or whatnot). (Closed auditions means
that they call you, or it's union only or some
other restriction.) Usually they want a headshot
up front, or you send one in later, or they take a
Polaroid of you.

In any case, you do not pay to get a job. If they
ask you for ANY money at all, it's a scam.

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Melody

Jul 8, 2004, 12:43:56 AM7/8/04

"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Long story short, we received a call today saying that out of 300+ kids
she
> was one of ten selected to go forward and be submitted to Gerber.
However,
> they also want us to go and get headshots done and this whole marketing
> package and are asking us for $675 for this. This seems outrageous to me
> and surely must be a scam.

It's a scam.

> They are probably telling all 300 kids the same
> thing, don't you think?

Exactly.

> As much as I would love to believe she is special,
> this seems a little much.

She IS special. Modeling won't make her any more or any less special. As a
former child, teen, and adult model all I have to say is DON'T get your
child in to modeling. If you'd like me to list reasons I could go on for
days...

> So my question is, how on earth do you know the real
> deal from a scam?

You don't always. Unless you're signed with a legitimate modeling agency
it's very, very difficult to tell the real deal from a scam. BUT- legitimate
modeling agencies will not EVER ask you for money, they will just take a cut
of what you earn. A company asking for money is ALWAYS a scam. Legitmate
agencies do not have "open calls", especially for children. Modeling
agencies recieve thousands upon thousands of portfolios, snapshots, contact
sheets, etc... every day, they have no reason to spend money going out
looking for models.

> And
> how do you even get into this kind of thing...

It's nearly impossible on a national scale. It's easier to do it locally but
still difficult. The pay is horrific, the work is daunting (especially for
the parents of babies) and it's really, truly not something I'd recommend
doing.

> Any parents who've BTDT (and been successful) I'd love to hear from you!

There's really no such thing as a "successful" child model. The pay is crap,
most kids get a few jobs then are dropped for one reason or another. Unless
you live in New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles, or another city with large
modeling agencies I wouldn't bother trying.

I know I sound like a pessimist, but modeling was one of the things I wish I
could go back and erase from my life. It *killed* my self esteem by the time
I was 3 or 4.

CY

Jul 8, 2004, 12:38:00 AM7/8/04

"Plissken" <plis...@fakeaddress.com> wrote in message >

> Haven't BTDT but this absolutely sounds like a scam to me. If you want
your daughter to be a model, research legitimate child modelling agencies
and go and interview them all. I'm sure you will find that most of them are
not going to ask for $675 up front. I would also phone the place that
offered you this package find out what the company is called and then call
the Better Business Bureau to see if they are a legitimate company. My 2
cents.

There's my problem though - I don't know how to go about finding
"legitimate" modelling agencies. All the agencies that I have found want
money for head shots (most of them are in the region of $175 though, which
still seems steep to me) and I feel like if my daughter is good enough to be
represented by them they should pay for all the promotional stuff, right? I
looked up this company on the BBB website and they are supposedly
legitimate. I tried calling Gerber to see if they were working with this
agency but I could only get through to a CSR who said she'd look into it for
me. I just don't know what is "reasonable" and figured this company wants
to charge me $675 for a photo shoot, 50 head shots and a "guaranteed"
picture in the model agency's 2005 calendar (wooopdeedoo!) - so it's not
just sign up money, but if Gerber wants her, why should we have to do any of
that?

So I guess, I want to know how I would find out which agencies are
legitimate and what is a reasonable expectation for "legitimate". There are
not that many in my area (maybe 30 or so) so I suppose I could just go to
all of them and speak to everyone...

> By the way it was Jamie Clark who's child is a model and this post might
be
> helpful to you...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2sfuk

Thanks, will look into it now!

> HTH
> Nadene
>
> Thanks for your post!

Jamie Clark

Jul 8, 2004, 1:03:35 AM7/8/04
"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

A legitimate agency will require you to get head shots, and will require you
to pay for your own head shots, but will not require that you only get them
through them, or use their photographer. They may offer a list of
photographers that they have worked with before, but your check should go to
the photographer, not the agency. Our agency told us that at Taylor's age,
we could use Picture People, and gave us a list of photo "do's and don'ts"
which was helpful.

It sounds to me that this agency is offering you the "chance" to see your
daughter in print in their calendar, and for that, you get to pay $650.
Walk away. Scam. Same with modeling schools.

> So I guess, I want to know how I would find out which agencies are
> legitimate and what is a reasonable expectation for "legitimate". There
are
> not that many in my area (maybe 30 or so) so I suppose I could just go to
> all of them and speak to everyone...
> >
> > By the way it was Jamie Clark who's child is a model and this post might
> be
> > helpful to you...
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2sfuk
>
> Thanks, will look into it now!
> >
> > HTH
> > Nadene
> >
> > Thanks for your post!

Yep, it was me and Taylor. She had a good run of work during the first 3
months, then not much else. She's also at an age where she doesn't want to
sit still as much, so won't stay on the mark, and doesn't seem to enjoy it
as much. In the beginning, she pretty much got every job she went out for.
Recently, she hasn't gotten many of them at all (only been to a fee go-sees
in the past few months), so, it's been a lot of driving and schlepping for
me, for no pay. Once baby #2 comes, we may stop all together. We're not
doing it to get rich, only as an amusing diversion. Once it's not amusing
any longer, we won't do it.

I think we did get the LeapFrog package though -- so be on the lookout this
Fall for Taylor on the LeapFrog box of a stuffed caterpillar toy, coming to
a big box store near you!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

CY

Jul 8, 2004, 1:14:08 AM7/8/04
Thank you Jamie - yes it was you that I was thinking of - your daughter is
adorable!

Your tips are very helpful. I will let you know what happens!

Thanks again!

CY
"Jamie Clark" <jami...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

CY

Jul 8, 2004, 1:41:29 AM7/8/04
Always happy to show off my "peanut" - here she is:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeMNWjRm3ZuWA

"Christine" <christ...@webtv.net> wrote in message news:1810->

Do you have a pic of her????

Kelly

Jul 8, 2004, 2:12:18 AM7/8/04
What a cutie pie!

Kelly

"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Jamie Clark

Jul 8, 2004, 2:22:56 AM7/8/04
I pretty much agree with the OP who said that if you don't live in a MAJOR
metropolitan area, or very close to one, it isn't worth pursuing. We live
about 30 miles from San Francisco, and with bad traffic, it can take over an
hour to get into the city. And ALL go-sees and photos shoots are likely to
be in the city. Some jobs only pay $50 per hour, which sounds like a lot,
until you count the fact that babies can only work ONE hour (the number of
hours rises with age, but they are pretty strict with child labor laws),
count in the travel time (unpaid), and the agency deducting their fees, and
some jobs only end up netting Taylor about $40. But, I just spent almost
half a day schlepping for that measly $40. Not always worth it!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Vicky Bilaniuk

Jul 8, 2004, 12:43:32 PM7/8/04
CY wrote:

> Always happy to show off my "peanut" - here she is:
> http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeMNWjRm3ZuWA

Awwww such a sweetie! I love the smile and the hair! (I can't help but
to like curly hair since I have that, too)

Jamie Clark

Jul 8, 2004, 6:32:00 PM7/8/04
She's adorable. But, adorable isn't enough to be a model, it's almost MORE
about personality, and the ability to not be afraid of strangers, smile on
cue, etc.

Really cute though!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

CY

Jul 8, 2004, 6:57:13 PM7/8/04
Well, to be honest, it's more her personality that people are attracted to.
It's not really modelling per se that we are interested in, though I used
that in the subject line to get your attention! What I was originally
trying to get into was commercials etc. because she's just such a little ham
and would love performing to the camera. I declined the second interview
with the modelling agency (for the Gerber thing) and my phone has been
ringing off the hook all day with them trying to get in touch with me, so
that should tell me something right there! They just want their $675! So I
guess I'll just have to do some more research and see what happens.

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated!

CY

"Jamie Clark" <jami...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Wendy

Jul 8, 2004, 9:11:48 PM7/8/04
Reading this thread has got me wondering what are the postive aspects of
child modeling? For the child or the parent? It seems like there would
be a huge and unnatural focus on the child's physical appearance, which
would be unhealthy. Any thoughts on why someone would want their child
doing this? I have never heard anything very positive about child
modeling or acting, at least not enough to make it not sound
semi-creepy. In a previous reply to this post it was mentioned that it
was a very bad experience for the person subjected to it. Just curious
about your opinions.

Wendy
Mom to Nolan 7-11-03 and Baby Nov.

Christine

Jul 8, 2004, 9:20:53 PM7/8/04
She sure looks like a model....;-))
VERY beautiful little girl!!!!

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnursery/babypage_view.asp?URLID=9T8S0V9F5G

Tina

Jul 9, 2004, 12:11:49 AM7/9/04
"CY" <nospam...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<KQ%Gc.12138$151.11443@fed1read02>...

> So my question is, how on earth do you know the real deal from a scam? And
> how do you even get into this kind of thing...
>
> Any parents who've BTDT (and been successful) I'd love to hear from you!
>
> TIA...
>
> CY

Generally, I think if you have to pay anything significant at the
beginning, it's not the best deal. My husband has done some print and
TV work (as an adult) and I've done some small runway-type things, and
we're both active in the Theatre and music community in our area.

Our older daughter (5) has shown a strong interest in acting, and like
most kids, would also love to be on TV. We allowed her to audition
for a kind of major show (large-ish community theatre, couple hundred
seat house, monthlong run) thinking it'd give her good experience at
auditioning -- and she got the part! We start tech rehearsals next
week, and it's been fun, and it really is a lot more about listening
and waiting -- even the performing part (as opposed to modeling) --
than about anything else. She's been really good, and is looking
forward to performing for a crowd.

Anyway, I told her that if she got the part, I'd have a headshot made
so she could go on more auditions, but they needed a shot (now) for
the program and the lobby. The Director had a photog. come in to take
shots for anyone who needed them, and it cost us $10.

Which is why I'm telling you this whole story! It doesn't have to be
as expensive as you posted, to get photos done for a kid. And if
you're in a situation where someone's interested in your kid, they can
either tell without a special photo whether they're more interested
(meaning they take a polaroid on their own [in an office -- not some
creep on the street!], or ask you for a snapshot or a simple headshot
to show someone else involved in the specific situation), or they make
an appointment for a real audition/etc.... where you may or may not
need a specific photo, but it won't cost a ton either way. Plus, you
need to get photos taken frequently for little ones, 'cause they grow
and change so fast. I wouldn't be investing $700. for photos, or into
my daughter's 'career', such as it may be, until she'd earned that
much ; )

I did look at your daughter's pictures, and she's beautiful! If you
live near a major city that has talent/modeling agencies, send some of
them a snapshot and a cover letter. You might get a call or two, you
might not, and worst case scenario, you've spent $5. on photos and
postage.

Good Luck!
Tina.

CY

Jul 9, 2004, 1:53:29 AM7/9/04
Thank you!

"Christine" <christ...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Jamie Clark

Jul 9, 2004, 2:05:45 AM7/9/04
Wendy,
I'm not sure if I can explain it without sounding selfish or self centered.
I'm not going to worry about how it sounds, I'm just going to try to explain
as honestly as I can, okay?

Taylor is a beautiful child. Since I adopted her, I feel like I'm allowed
to say that, without patting myself on the back about it. She has a very
placid personality at times, and is very easy going. She is also really
smart, and funny, and happy, and had no real stranger anxiety when she was
younger.

We got lots of comments about her looks, and many people used the phrase
"Gerber baby." I love to take photographs, and she was a natural model for
me and my hobby. She has a very round face, symmetrical features, and
beautiful complexion -- she photographs really well. She's very photogenic.

It was sort of a lark that I sent photos in to some agencies. At this
point, I know that it's more for me than for her, since she won't remember
the photo shoots, and doesn't understand what is going on. To her, it's a
play date with a bigger camera than mommy has, and lots of other people.
But I think when she's grown up, it will be neat for her to have those
photos of her, both that I've taken, and that were in a newspaper flyer, or
on the packaging of a toy.

I've always said that I'll only continue to do it until we aren't having fun
any more. In the beginning, when she was 10-12 months old, we got lots of
jobs, and she did really well. It was a piece of cake, for both of us. We
haven't gotten as many jobs in the past few months, and it seems to be weeks
between calls. She has done some fit modeling for a few companies, which is
interesting -- she'll try on 6-8 outfits, while designers see how the
clothes fit her. All the while, she's playing with toys or the other child,
holding books or blocks, etc. The biggest problem with fit modeling is that
it doesn't pay great, and she's not a fan of having her clothes changed 9
times in an hour.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not having her do this to become the next Brooke
Shields or Olsen girls, it's just something to do. If she wants to get into
acting or modeling later in life, that will be her decision. It's a
business. Life is about a lot more than what you look like, so I hope
she'll get into something else.

I don't know if that answered the question. I don't think it did.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Wendy" <wendya...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Welches

Jul 9, 2004, 7:11:37 AM7/9/04

> Wendy,
> I'm not sure if I can explain it without sounding selfish or self
centered.
> I'm not going to worry about how it sounds, I'm just going to try to
explain
> as honestly as I can, okay?
>
> Taylor is a beautiful child. Since I adopted her, I feel like I'm allowed
> to say that, without patting myself on the back about it. She has a very
> placid personality at times, and is very easy going. She is also really
> smart, and funny, and happy, and had no real stranger anxiety when she was
> younger.

I think you explained it very well. I can also see what you're saying about
you can say she's beautiful without patting yourself on the back, it seem
(perhaps strangely) more logical to me that you'd want the world to know how
beautiful she is. Does that sound silly?

Several people suggested to me with #1 that I got her into modelling. They
said she was beautiful, and she played to the camera-used to pose herself
still with a beautiful smile when you picked up the camera-grandparents
loved this! :-) Eventually when I'd been feeding her (with lots of happy
noise on her part) at a cafe a couple of chaps came up and asked if I was
interested in her being in a movie. I had to think about it then and I
refused (I think to their surprise) because I couldn't see any advantage in
for her. I also felt that if I agreed we could be trapped into doing it (I
asume there would have been auditions and wouldn't have been a definite
anyway) when she was not enjoying it.
I can see what you mean about it sounding selfish. I'd have like to get
better photos or videos of #1. At that age it is for the parent, but as long
as the child is enjoying themself it's the same as going to a toddler
group-for the child to play and parent to have some time "off".
I'd have thought the tricky age was probably about 4-6. Younger than that
would probably show you that they didn't like it by not cooperating, older
and they should be able to know their mind better. but that age can
cooperate just because they know that mummy wants them to.

I think if you do want to get your baby into modelling you probably need to
be honest and say it's for your benefit, and not expect to make much money
either :-)
Debbie