OT Silly Car Seat & Out & About Question

1 view

Wendy J.

Sep 4, 2003, 3:15:42 PM9/4/03

Ok, we have just bought the Britax Marathon which we will start using
today if I can bug dh into installing it ;-)

My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
for a meal? I am used to carrying her in the Graco car seat. Now I
have nothing to keep her in. Am I missing something? :0) She can't
sit up yet. What do you do? Hold them?

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

Truffles

Sep 4, 2003, 3:24:23 PM9/4/03
Wendy J. wrote:

Sling.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Marie

Sep 4, 2003, 3:36:19 PM9/4/03
On 4 Sep 2003 12:15:42 -0700, love2...@aol.com (Wendy J.) wrote:
>My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
>for a meal? I am used to carrying her in the Graco car seat. Now I
>have nothing to keep her in. Am I missing something? :0) She can't
>sit up yet. What do you do? Hold them?

Hold her of course! We held all three of our babies when we went out.
No reason to isolate them in a bucket while they could be in your lap
looking around.
Marie

Nikki

Sep 4, 2003, 3:46:11 PM9/4/03

Hold them!!! I never had a infant seat for Hunter, nor a sling. Just held
or carried him. It was actually kind of nice. I finally got a seat with
Luke when he was 2 months because I couldn't figure out what to do with him
when I had to help Hunter. He also slept in the seat so I could take him
out of the car without waking him up. It was such a PITA. I never used it
unless I was by myself and thought I might need to help Hunter with
something.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Kereru

Sep 4, 2003, 4:39:27 PM9/4/03

"Wendy J." <love2...@aol.com> wrote in message

I'd hold him most of the time, pass him around a bit and if we all wanted to
eat or just got tired of holding I put the bggy next to my seat and lay him
down in there.

We never had a removable seat so we did all thi sfrom birth.

Judy

New York Jen

Sep 4, 2003, 4:51:17 PM9/4/03

"Wendy J." <love2...@aol.com> wrote in message

I used a Baby Bjorn carrier or my Baby Trekker carrier once we got Laszlo
into his big boy car seat. I found it was way easier food shopping that way
than when he was in his car seat carrier in the cart too! Of course you can
always hold her, but if you wanna be hands free, I'd recommend picking up a
sling or carrier.

- Jen

Anne Rogers

Sep 4, 2003, 5:06:58 PM9/4/03

> Hold her of course! We held all three of our babies when we went out.
> No reason to isolate them in a bucket while they could be in your lap
> looking around.
> Marie
except for the fact I'm quite likely to spill my dinner over them if I'm
eating one handed, for an exclusively breastfed baby the number of tomato
stains on ds's clothes is shocking!

-----------
Anne Rogers

HollyLewis

Sep 4, 2003, 5:13:32 PM9/4/03
>My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
>for a meal? I am used to carrying her in the Graco car seat. Now I
>have nothing to keep her in. Am I missing something? :0) She can't
>sit up yet. What do you do? Hold them?

I never had to worry about this too much because DS could sit up in a
restaurant high chair before he outgrew the bucket seat, but I'd think you
would just use a stroller.

Of course you could hold her, but it *is* a little awkward to eat with her in
your lap. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

Daye

Sep 4, 2003, 6:15:02 PM9/4/03
On 4 Sep 2003 12:15:42 -0700, love2...@aol.com (Wendy J.) wrote:

> What do you do? Hold them?

Sling or stroller, depending on the resturant. Sometimes we held her.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan

iphigenia

Sep 4, 2003, 6:17:11 PM9/4/03
Anne Rogers wrote:

> except for the fact I'm quite likely to spill my dinner over them if
> I'm eating one handed, for an exclusively breastfed baby the number
> of tomato stains on ds's clothes is shocking!

That's why I either got food that I could eat with one hand or got someone
else to cut my food up for me, and avoided messy foods.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Wendy J.

Sep 4, 2003, 9:14:39 PM9/4/03

Thanks for the responses! A sling definitely won't work because dd
hates to be in that position. She always wants to be upward so she
can see what's going on. I have a Baby Bjorn but it hurts my back and
shoulders after a while. I have a bad back. I think I might try it
again as it could work if I am sitting down. Our stroller is huge so
I don't think that would work.

Don't get me wrong ... I love to hold her but I haven't mastered the
art of eating while holding her :-) I just wanted my hands free so
that I could eat. Sometimes when she gets fussy in the car seat in
the restaurant we take her out and we alternate holding her while we
eat. It's not a problem. She loves to see everything that is going
on. I just wondered what other people did. Thanks!

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

K.B.

Sep 4, 2003, 9:15:37 PM9/4/03
I always keep a stroller in my car. They like to sit in a stroller and play
with toys or hang something from the top for them to look at. They are still
a part of the company. You deserve to have a meal without holding a baby.
Sometimes you need that tiny break.
Kris

Phoebe & Allyson

Sep 4, 2003, 10:33:22 PM9/4/03
Wendy J. wrote:

> My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
> for a meal?

Baby in sling, napkin over baby's head (or swing her off
over my left hip if not in a booth), optional pinky in
baby's mouth. Since Caterpillar sleeps in the carseat, and
the transition doesn't wake her, she's no more likely to be
in need of attention than in the infant seat.

It reminds me a lot of being hugely pregnant, but I try to
be more careful about spilling on the bump. Last time I had
a lunch meeting at a Chinese place, I found several
mouthfuls of rice stuck to her when repacking into the
carseat, but she slept right through it.

Phoebe :)

Phoebe & Allyson

Sep 4, 2003, 10:38:17 PM9/4/03
Wendy J. wrote:

> A sling definitely won't work because dd
> hates to be in that position. She always wants to be upward so she
> can see what's going on.

Put her in the sling in a sitting position. Caterpillar
never lies down in the sling, even when she's sound asleep,
because she hates it. She's as upright in the sling as she
is sitting on my lap, and if she's awake, I just adjust the
rails so her arms are free, too.

It'll take awhile for both of you to get used to the sling,
and she may fuss the first few times, but then it's easy.
(Sort of like changing diapers.)

Phoebe :)

iphigenia

Sep 4, 2003, 10:56:09 PM9/4/03
Wendy J. wrote:
> I have a Baby Bjorn but it hurts my back and
> shoulders after a while. I have a bad back.

One thing that makes a big difference in comfort with the BB (and also
something I rarely see adjusted properly) is the position of the crosspiece
in back. If you can work the crosspiece down so it's as far down on your
back as you can get it, it is MUCH more comfortable. I see so many people
with the crosspiece up almost to their necks and my back aches for them...

Tracey

Sep 4, 2003, 11:36:30 PM9/4/03
Wendy J. wrote:

Have you considered keeping the Graco Car Seat in the trunk for use as a
carrier in situations like this? Sure, she outgrew it so it was no longer
safe as a carseat, but that doesn't mean you can't use it as a
carrier/seat.

Diane

Sep 4, 2003, 11:51:05 PM9/4/03
> My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
> for a meal? I am used to carrying her in the Graco car seat. Now I
> have nothing to keep her in. Am I missing something? :0) She can't
> sit up yet. What do you do? Hold them?

We too are at this point, and I'm thinking of keeping the baby carseat
in the back of the car, and using it for restaurants, shopping carts,
etc. Though no longer safe for automobile crashes, as a "baby holder"
it still fulfills its purpose!

Diane
2 beautiful DSs

Daye

Sep 5, 2003, 12:13:03 AM9/5/03
On 4 Sep 2003 18:14:39 -0700, love2...@aol.com (Wendy J.) wrote:

>Don't get me wrong ... I love to hold her but I haven't mastered the
>art of eating while holding her :-) I just wanted my hands free so
>that I could eat.

DH and I would take turns eating if DD was being fussy. The first
person basically ate really fast so the other person's food wouldn't
get cold. Then the second person got to eat a bit more leisurely.
We took turns on who ate first. But we had to do this at home if DD
was being fussy.

Nikki

Sep 5, 2003, 3:59:59 AM9/5/03

Am I the only one that has has a child on her lap for every meal for the
last 4 years?? Just this week I'm working on getting Luke to sit in his own
chair. I must be a huge push over!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4.5) and Luke (2.5)

Mary Ann Tuli

Sep 5, 2003, 5:07:07 AM9/5/03

We never really put DS in his infant seat when out and about anyway as
it too cumbersome to carry about.

We mostly sat him on our knees, or took the stroller depending on his
mood. Often he would nurse while I was eating which kept him occupied :-)

Mary Ann

Tine Andersen

Sep 5, 2003, 6:18:42 AM9/5/03

"Nikki" <sefa...@dtgnet.com> wrote in message

> Nikki
> Mama to Hunter (4.5) and Luke (2.5)

What ever happened to Hunter and Luke. I recall them being 3 and 1 in your
SIG. Did they grow up very fast or did you remember to edit your SIG? :-)

Tine, Denmark
Mother of Niels (6) and Karen (nearly 11)

Belphoebe

Sep 5, 2003, 8:15:42 AM9/5/03

"Wendy J." <love2...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Don't get me wrong ... I love to hold her but I haven't mastered the

> art of eating while holding her :-) I just wanted my hands free so
> that I could eat. Sometimes when she gets fussy in the car seat in
> the restaurant we take her out and we alternate holding her while we
> eat. It's not a problem. She loves to see everything that is going
> on. I just wondered what other people did. Thanks!

Wendy, DH and I had our first restaurant outing since DS's birth (March 8!)
this past weekend. We went to a diner, and I had DS in his carseat with me
on my seat in the booth, and DH sat with my mother on the other side (she
came by and babysat that afternoon while we saw a movie--another first since
the birth!).

I had my sling in the diaper bag in case DS fussed or otherwise became
unhappy in the carseat, but he had a wonderful time. He loved looking up at
the lights, around at the activity, and at his mommy. I was able to
interact with him and keep him entertained the whole time, and it was a
pleasant outing for all of us. (So just 'cause we used a carseat doesn't
mean he's the neglected "bucket baby" of detached parents.)

Belphoebe

Akuvikate

Sep 5, 2003, 8:48:55 AM9/5/03
love2...@aol.com (Wendy J.) wrote in message news:<1ab9e68e.03090...@posting.google.com>...

Our stroller functions primarily as a place to park the Bug while
eating out and a prop in a stroller exercise class. For those who
don't find it a PITA to hold or sling their babies while eating, more
power to you. If she's asleep and the table is high the sling's not
so bad, but for the most part it's much easier for me to put her down
while I eat. If your stroller won't work than I second the thought
about hanging on to the Graco seat for that purpose.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003

Sue

Sep 5, 2003, 11:52:55 AM9/5/03
Buy a smaller stroller for this kind of purpose. While holding them is a
nice idea, it doesn't always work in reality. It is okay for you to eat and
not hold the baby. --
Sue
mom to three girls

Nikki

Sep 5, 2003, 9:53:49 AM9/5/03
Tine Andersen wrote:
> "Nikki" <sefa...@dtgnet.com> wrote in message
>> Nikki
>> Mama to Hunter (4.5) and Luke (2.5)
>>

> What ever happened to Hunter and Luke. I recall them being 3 and 1 in
> your SIG. Did they grow up very fast or did you remember to edit your
> SIG? :-)

:-) I think my sig has said 4 and 2 for a long time. I stuck in the .5
this time. I do that sporadically but it has been 4 and 2 for awhile now
:-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Wendy J.

Sep 5, 2003, 9:54:59 AM9/5/03
Huh, never thought of this simple solution. We have a big trunk so
the car seat can just stay in there and we can use it when we go out
for a meal. Hopefully dd will be able to sit up in another month or
two and we can use the restaurant high chair although I hate the idea
of this ... aren't those things dirty from babies/toddlers spitting
up/drooling/throwing food all over them?

Thanks!
Wendy

P.S. Still plan on trying the BB and a sling too. Sitting her up in
the sling sounds like a good plan and I never knew about the cross
part of the BB having to be lower down your back. Thanks for letting
me know this.

Bruce and Jeanne

Sep 5, 2003, 9:54:55 AM9/5/03
Anne Rogers wrote:

Well, DH and I practice serial eating. First he holds the baby and I
eat, then I hold the baby and he eats. Yes, it's not the best way to
enjoy a restaurant meal (esp. if you're the one eating a cold meal), but
it's the way we prefer. Alternately you can very carefully choose an
entree that can be eaten one-handed.

Jeanne

Sue

Sep 5, 2003, 2:07:35 PM9/5/03
Wendy J. <love2...@aol.com> wrote in message
we can use the restaurant high chair although I hate the idea
> of this ... aren't those things dirty from babies/toddlers spitting
> up/drooling/throwing food all over them?

You can wipe them off if it makes you feel better. Nothing wrong with
exposing them to some germs though. It helps the immune system.

Akuvikate

Sep 5, 2003, 2:46:32 PM9/5/03
> No reason to isolate them in a bucket while they
> could be in your lap looking around.

> (So just 'cause we used a carseat doesn't mean he's

> the neglected "bucket baby" of detached parents.)

> They are still a part of the company. You deserve

> to have a meal without holding a baby. Sometimes
> you need that tiny break.

> While holding them is a nice idea, it doesn't

> always work in reality. It is okay for you to eat
> and not hold the baby.

Criminey -- does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that folks feel
the need to be defensive on this ng about putting the baby down for 20
minutes to eat dinner at a restaurant? Most other parents I know use
the strollers and buckets (and a sling either little or not at all)
but somehow still manage love their babies and be plenty attached to
them. I dig my sling and use it far more than the stroller, and for
me that's the right parenting choice. The Bug, however, didn't do a
very good job of reading the AP books on how she's supposed to feel.
Around the house she's often happier hanging out in her Gymini than
she is sitting in the sling while I do something boring like sit in
front of the computer :-) She sometimes *likes* to be put down!

If you prefer to hold or sling your baby through meals, and that's
what your baby likes, then that's the right thing for you to do. But
a bucket or stroller isn't a sensory deprivation or torture chamber,
and it strikes me as out of bounds to judge someone for using them
unless the baby is clearly unhappy and its parents are ignoring it.
And even then I try to withhold judgement unless I really know the
situation (ie, I know it's not a chronically fussy baby who seems
unhappy no matter what its parents do).

Bear in mind, by the time our kids have our grandchildren, there's a
good chance AP will have gone the way of Dr. Spock. And we'll either
have to acknowledge that there's more than one "right" way to raise
kids or we'll end up as annoying as the in-laws who are pushing solids
at 12 weeks.

Marie

Sep 5, 2003, 3:47:40 PM9/5/03

I found it odd that someone asked what to do with the baby when there
wasn't a bucket seat available. What else is there to do with it?
The thing I have against bucket seats is that most every baby I see is
restrained in a seat or a stroller and they shouldn't be spending
their babyhood that way (imo) The only time I've seen a baby not fuss
in a bucket seat is when it is asleep.
Marie

Mary W.

Sep 5, 2003, 4:13:00 PM9/5/03

Marie wrote:

> I found it odd that someone asked what to do with the baby when there
> wasn't a bucket seat available. What else is there to do with it?
> The thing I have against bucket seats is that most every baby I see is
> restrained in a seat or a stroller and they shouldn't be spending
> their babyhood that way (imo) The only time I've seen a baby not fuss
> in a bucket seat is when it is asleep.

Really? My daughter used to love her car seat. We'd prop it up
on the table between us when we were out to dinner and she'd
sit in it and look around. She was also very happy riding in
it when she was on a shopping cart, gave her a great view of
me. She also liked to sit in it to watch baby mozart. Most baby's
I've seen in them seem quite content.

Now fussing she did in a sling. Hated it. Did like the bjorn though,
especially when facing out.

Mary

Phoebe & Allyson

Sep 5, 2003, 4:37:12 PM9/5/03
Akuvikate wrote:

> I dig my sling and use it far more than the stroller, and for
> me that's the right parenting choice. The Bug, however, didn't do a
> very good job of reading the AP books on how she's supposed to feel.
> Around the house she's often happier hanging out in her Gymini than
> she is sitting in the sling while I do something boring like sit in
> front of the computer :-) She sometimes *likes* to be put down!

Then putting her down is AP - since AP is listening to what
the baby needs, not keeping the baby physically attached to
you at every moment. :)

For us, slings are good for times when mommy is standing /
walking or baby is sleeping. Wakeful baby and sitting mommy
is *not* a good sling combination for us. Bouncy seat or
standing on mommy's lap is much better in the opinion of the
wakeful baby.

Since we have the Very Sleepy Carseat, odds are Caterpillar
will sleep through a meal out, which makes the sling a good
choice. If she wakes, I eat standing up or with her
standing on my lap or with her nursing. So I wouldn't carry
a stroller or carseat in with us, because the odds are
better that we wouldn't use it than that we would.

Phoebe :)

toypup

Sep 5, 2003, 5:30:06 PM9/5/03

"Marie" <jmd...@wctel.net> wrote in message

Most of the babies you see are probably going somewhere with their parents,
which is pretty much the only time most babies are in them. You need to go
into most of those babies' homes before you make the assumption that they
are spending their babyhood that way. DS never liked any of his carriers,
and I have five of them. He was happier in a bucket seat.

Jacqui

Sep 5, 2003, 6:56:03 PM9/5/03
Anne Rogers wibbled

>> Hold her of course! We held all three of our babies when we went
>> out. No reason to isolate them in a bucket while they could be in
>> your lap looking around.

> except for the fact I'm quite likely to spill my dinner over them

> if I'm eating one handed, for an exclusively breastfed baby the
> number of tomato stains on ds's clothes is shocking!

We decided that to fully reflect his Italian genes (mine) T needs to
have a certain amount of tomato staining in evidence*... so far the
steriliser and one bottle lid have near-indelible stains, and at least
one babygro has a suspicious pink stain.

* That's our story and we're sticking to it!

Jac

Belphoebe

Sep 5, 2003, 7:24:17 PM9/5/03

"Akuvikate" <ktel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > No reason to isolate them in a bucket while they
> > could be in your lap looking around.

> > (So just 'cause we used a carseat doesn't mean he's
> > the neglected "bucket baby" of detached parents.)

[ . . . ]

> Criminey -- does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that folks feel
> the need to be defensive on this ng about putting the baby down for 20
> minutes to eat dinner at a restaurant?

I guess I'll chime in, since I *was* feeling a little defensive (as the
author of the second quote above).

We have a jogging stroller, two slings, and a carseat. Each has its own
uses for us. We do a one-hour walk every day, during which DS (whom we also
refer to as "our little bug" ;) ) usually sleeps in his stroller. But we
keep a sling tucked underneath, and if he gets upset and wants out, I carry
him in it. If he's hungry, I nurse him.

I've had the same experience with slings that Phoebe does--if I'm moving, or
if DS is asleep, we're golden. If I'm sitting and he's awake, we're in
trouble.

For car trips, we put DS into his carseat in the house and carry him to the
car in his seat. Overall, though, he spends very little time in that seat.
When he is in it, he doesn't object. On the contrary, he enjoys it. I
wouldn't like to think that someone who doesn't know us would take a glance
at him being transported to or from the car and assume he spends his
babyhood in a "bucket," especially since he spends most of his time attached
to one of his parents (except when he wants to play on the floor).

[ . . . ]

The Bug, however, didn't do a
> very good job of reading the AP books on how she's supposed to feel.
> Around the house she's often happier hanging out in her Gymini than
> she is sitting in the sling while I do something boring like sit in
> front of the computer :-) She sometimes *likes* to be put down!

Same here, with our "little bug." :)

Belphoebe

AnnaS

Sep 5, 2003, 9:42:58 PM9/5/03
We bought one of those portable high chair seats that you strap to a
chair and took that with us when we went out to eat. We started using it
when our baby was 4 months old even though it says it is for 6+ months.
We just stuffed a couple small towels down the sides to keep him from
tipping sideways. It worked great. If he was asleep when we got to the
restaurant, we would just put him in the stroller and wheel that in.

Anna

"Wendy J." wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, we have just bought the Britax Marathon which we will start using
> today if I can bug dh into installing it ;-)
>

> My silly question is, what on earth do I do with dd say when we go out
> for a meal? I am used to carrying her in the Graco car seat. Now I
> have nothing to keep her in. Am I missing something? :0) She can't
> sit up yet. What do you do? Hold them?
>

> Wendy J.
> Katie (4/13/03)

Laurie

Sep 6, 2003, 12:04:16 AM9/6/03

Nikki wrote in message <3f56f0f1$1...@newsfeed.slurp.net>...

>>Am I the only one that has has a child on her lap for every meal for the
>last 4 years?? Just this week I'm working on getting Luke to sit in his
own
>chair. I must be a huge push over!
>

>--
>Nikki
>Mama to Hunter (4.5) and Luke (2.5)

I would say that I have a child on my lap for about 75% of my meals.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Laurie

Sep 6, 2003, 12:07:37 AM9/6/03

Akuvikate wrote in message ...

>Criminey -- does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that folks feel
>the need to be defensive on this ng about putting the baby down for 20
>minutes to eat dinner at a restaurant? Most other parents I know use
>the strollers and buckets (and a sling either little or not at all)
>but somehow still manage love their babies and be plenty attached to
>them. I dig my sling and use it far more than the stroller, and for
>me that's the right parenting choice. The Bug, however, didn't do a
>very good job of reading the AP books on how she's supposed to feel.
>Around the house she's often happier hanging out in her Gymini than
>she is sitting in the sling while I do something boring like sit in
>front of the computer :-) She sometimes *likes* to be put down!

Yeah,. I hear you loud and clear. Christopher loves to be held, but same as
yours, also loves to just play on the floor. There's no reason to feel
guilty for putting the baby down to enjoy eating dinner if the baby is
content.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

KC

Sep 6, 2003, 1:45:28 AM9/6/03
> Then putting her down is AP - since AP is listening to what
> the baby needs, not keeping the baby physically attached to
> you at every moment. :)
>
> For us, slings are good for times when mommy is standing /
> walking or baby is sleeping. Wakeful baby and sitting mommy
> is *not* a good sling combination for us. Bouncy seat or
> standing on mommy's lap is much better in the opinion of the
> wakeful baby.
>
> Since we have the Very Sleepy Carseat, odds are Caterpillar
> will sleep through a meal out, which makes the sling a good
> choice. If she wakes, I eat standing up or with her
> standing on my lap or with her nursing. So I wouldn't carry
> a stroller or carseat in with us, because the odds are
> better that we wouldn't use it than that we would.
>
> Phoebe :)

Jessi is just like Caterpillar. when it comes to sling and sitting
still. Moving about is good for sling. I agree AP is doing what your
baby wants. I hold her if she wants, but man sometimes she really
digs the bouncy seat or the johnny jump seat better than being held.

I do sometimes bring a stroller out to eat though and push it back and
forth as a way to sooth her. Her stroller is a deluxe model that we
sometimes use around hte house as a bassinet. We do not have one of
the bucket carseat/stroller things. Truthfully, I did always kind of
dislike the buckets thinking that it makes you touch the baby less
since they can go from carseat to stroller to shopping cart, etc.
without ever being touched, so I opted for separate a separate
stroller and carseat.

KC
-------
Whittlestone Breast Expresser Distributor:
The Whittlestone Breast Expresser is a painless alternative to
"suction style" breast pumps. It uses a gentle massaging action
to more naturally express milk from the breast.

Special discount available for newsgroup participants.
Contact me at kcla...@yahoo.com for details.

Sue

Sep 6, 2003, 11:34:09 AM9/6/03
Marie <jmd...@wctel.net> wrote in message
> The thing I have against bucket seats is that most every baby I see is
> restrained in a seat or a stroller and they shouldn't be spending
> their babyhood that way (imo

Oh geez Marie. Just because a baby is out of the house in a bucket while mom
shops or gets something to eat, doesn't mean the baby is spending its
babyhood in a carseat.

) The only time I've seen a baby not fuss
> in a bucket seat is when it is asleep.

Then you didn't see all three of mine and my nephew. There were a few times
that my kids were in the carseat for a little bit and they didn't fuss or
mind it. They actually sat there and watched the world go by or swat at
their toys that I had attached to it. As soon as they did start to fuss
though, they were taken out.

Wendy J.

Sep 6, 2003, 9:06:05 AM9/6/03

I was the OP of the other thread and wanted to thank you so much for
saying what I thought but didn't have the nerve to say :-)

I got the message that I was somehow being cruel to dd by keeping her
in the car seat for 15 minutes while I eat out at a restaurant. She
is only in it while I eat (and doesn't mind it)and I always take her
out towards the end of the meal so she can see what is going on. She
only spends time in it while we are having a meal. The rest of the
time she is in the stroller which she loves or I carry her in the BB.
However, yesterday I used to BB (forward facing) while we ate at a
restarant and it worked very well. I was able to have her in it and
have my hands free to eat. Thanks to whoever suggested this :-)

Dd sometimes doesn't like me holding her all the time. She loves to
spend time just rolling around on a sheet on the floor or playing in
her bouncer, swing, exersaucer, play gym. Even sometimes at night
when I am rocking her to sleep she will start to stretch out into the
position she likes to sleep in as if to say "please put me down now
because I am ready to sleep."

I agree with you Kate when you say that you shouldn't judge someone
that uses the car seat to carry there child around in. It doesn't
mean that it is wrong ... from what I have heard a lot of babies love
being in it. Dd does. In fact she sleeps really well in it.
Sometimes if she is asleep when we get back home I don't wake her and
let her sleep in it.

> Bear in mind, by the time our kids have our grandchildren, there's a
> good chance AP will have gone the way of Dr. Spock. And we'll either
> have to acknowledge that there's more than one "right" way to raise
> kids or we'll end up as annoying as the in-laws who are pushing solids
> at 12 weeks.

Very well put :-)

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

iphigenia

Sep 6, 2003, 10:06:15 AM9/6/03
Akuvikate wrote:
> Around the house she's often happier hanging out in her Gymini than
> she is sitting in the sling while I do something boring like sit in
> front of the computer :-) She sometimes *likes* to be put down!

Then putting her down is AP. Gabe's always liked having alone time.

> If you prefer to hold or sling your baby through meals, and that's
> what your baby likes, then that's the right thing for you to do. But
> a bucket or stroller isn't a sensory deprivation or torture chamber,
> and it strikes me as out of bounds to judge someone for using them
> unless the baby is clearly unhappy and its parents are ignoring it.

I don't care if babies are perfectly happy hanging out in their buckets. The
thing that bugs me is when the parents never take them out of the things -
and yes, I'm speaking of parents I knew personally, so yes, I did go into
their homes and see how they parented, I'm not just talking about running
into them at the grocery store.

I know that I have seen a lot of babies sitting in buckets wailing while the
parents ignored them. Probably others here have as well. Not to mention
parents propping bottles for babies in buckets.

I don't think it's that bucket seats are inherently evil, it's that it's
easy to misuse them.

> And even then I try to withhold judgement unless I really know the
> situation (ie, I know it's not a chronically fussy baby who seems
> unhappy no matter what its parents do).

Mm. I had a kid who was miserable for a couple months until I cut dairy out
of my diet. He cried most of the time he was awake. I didn't think, though,
that it was OK to just put him down and let him cry by himself; I figured he
may be unhappy, but at least he can be unhappy with someone, not alone.
Could just be my AP sensibilities talking ; )

> Bear in mind, by the time our kids have our grandchildren, there's a
> good chance AP will have gone the way of Dr. Spock.

Although AP has been in use for thousands of years already.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net
"i have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
i do not think that they will sing to me."

KC

Sep 6, 2003, 4:41:28 PM9/6/03
"iphigenia" <preter...@hotmail.comeon> wrote in message kes, then that's the

> Mm. I had a kid who was miserable for a couple months until I cut dairy out
> of my diet. He cried most of the time he was awake. I didn't think, though,
> that it was OK to just put him down and let him cry by himself; I figured he
> may be unhappy, but at least he can be unhappy with someone, not alone.
> Could just be my AP sensibilities talking ; )

That's what earplugs are for - lol. I just wore some today while
carrying my crying baby about.

KC
-------
Whittlestone Breast Expresser Distributor:

Special discount available for newsgroup participants.

toypup

Sep 7, 2003, 2:18:01 AM9/7/03

> However, yesterday I used to BB (forward facing) while we ate at a
> restarant and it worked very well. I was able to have her in it and
> have my hands free to eat. Thanks to whoever suggested this :-)

How the heck did you do this? When DS was in the BB, his head was always in
the way. It was the correct height, according to the instructions, but it
would still have been a problem had he been lower. Not only that, but the
distance between the table and me would have been too great to eat
comfortably and food would be all over DS's head. We never used it much
anyway, because it was too hot and DS found it too restrictive.

JennP

Sep 7, 2003, 9:13:16 PM9/7/03

"Phoebe & Allyson" <ally...@mailbolt.com> wrote in message

> Then putting her down is AP - since AP is listening to what
> the baby needs, not keeping the baby physically attached to
> you at every moment. :)

EXACTLY!!

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Akuvikate

Sep 8, 2003, 2:06:33 AM9/8/03
"iphigenia" <preter...@hotmail.comeon> wrote in message news:<N1adnfaNXbR...@comcast.com>...

> Although AP has been in use for thousands of years already.

Yes and no -- though many components of AP (babywearing,
breastfeeding, co-sleeping) have been around for a long time, I think
a lot of the philosophy motivating the AP use of those things is as
much a product of our current cultural beliefs as schedule feeding and
sterile nurseries were a few decades ago. I'm currently re-reading
Meredith Small's excellent _Our_Babies,_Our_Selves_ that looks at
cross-cultural parenting. It's a wonderful clear-eyed look at
parenting that reinforces most of AP practice but also debunks some of
the romanticization of other cultures that I find often crops up in
the AP community.

Sue

Sep 8, 2003, 12:39:52 PM9/8/03
iphigenia <preter...@hotmail.comeon> wrote in message
> Although AP has been in use for thousands of years already.
>
> --

Except that back then when "AP" techniques are used it was done out of
necessity. It wasn't a "style" of parenting that it is today. Co-sleeping
was done because people were poor, didn't have 3-4 bedroom homes like we do
now and they didn't have heat to heat the house. Sleeping with the kids was
used to keep them warm. Breastfeeding was done because there wasn't anything
else. Babywearing was done because the women had to return to their chores
and it was unsafe to put a baby down on the dirt floor or to be left alone
while the mothers tended to the garden and other outside chores. They didn't
homeschool though because most were too poor to do without the kids on the
farms. Just because our ancestors did these things out of necessity doesn't
mean that it is the right parenting style for people to adopt now. Dr. Sears
has made a mint on proproganding old techniques and making it seem like it
is for the well being of the child. And I don't mean that all of the things
that AP parents do is harmful for the child or that it is wrong to do. Just
that it is funny to see something they used to do out of necessity is what
is being touted the "right way" in parenting today.