OT: Ew! Ew! Who had the minishower?

Mary S.

Apr 8, 2003, 12:27:08 PM4/8/03
Sproutkin is official no longer a breastmilk-poop baby. Ew!

My initiation into a solids diaper this morning was a big pain (dunk and
swish). Who was talking about the minishower (Meghan?) and where can I
get one?

For those who cloth diaper, what does everybody do with the semi-solid
sludge? I've heard about scraping with a plastic knife (ew), about
simply shaking into the trash (not solid enough for that yet), about the
toilet sprayer thing (sounds promising) -- are there other options? How
do you all handle dirty diapers?

Ew, ew, ew. I know I'm being a complete baby about this, but after 13
months it was a bit of a shock. I'll get over it soon.

Mary S.
mom to the cat-chasing Sproutkin, 13 months

New York Jen

Apr 8, 2003, 12:53:23 PM4/8/03
"Mary S." <msweath...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Oh Mary, you've got me laughing hysterically here! I don't use cloth, so I
can't help you, but wouldn't regular old baby wipes do the trick? I'd
imagine that you could just "scoop" it up and put it in the toilet? I have
no idea, just thought I'd offer a guess!

I'm still laughing.

:-)

- Jen

badgirl

Apr 8, 2003, 12:56:56 PM4/8/03

> Sproutkin is official no longer a breastmilk-poop baby. Ew!
>
> My initiation into a solids diaper this morning was a big pain (dunk
and
> swish). Who was talking about the minishower (Meghan?) and where
can I
> get one?

You can get a standard camping shower (holds I think 3 gallons) at
just about any big discount store like Target or Wal Mart or Meijer,
if you can't find one there (which would be a hard task to NOT find
one lol) you can go to a sporting goods or a camping goods store and
get one there ;)

> For those who cloth diaper, what does everybody do with the
semi-solid
> sludge? I've heard about scraping with a plastic knife (ew), about
> simply shaking into the trash (not solid enough for that yet), about
the
> toilet sprayer thing (sounds promising) -- are there other options?
How
> do you all handle dirty diapers?

I don't cloth diaper, but do you have a detachable showerhead like a
waterpik shower massage thingy? I wouldn't see anything bad about
tossing it in the bathtub and spraying it down the drain then maybe
pouring a little bleach after it.

Jen

Barbara Foster Williams

Apr 8, 2003, 1:06:42 PM4/8/03
In article <78Dka.3802$Xd1.2...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,

"New York Jen" <ju...@dontspammeeprinc.net> wrote:

> Oh Mary, you've got me laughing hysterically here! I don't use cloth, so I
> can't help you, but wouldn't regular old baby wipes do the trick? I'd
> imagine that you could just "scoop" it up and put it in the toilet? I have
> no idea, just thought I'd offer a guess!

This is what I do, more or less. If the diaper is really bad, I'll
swish it.

Good luck, Mary! :)

--
Barbara, mommy to Jamie (5 July 2001)
Moderator for the proposed group misc.kids.family-life

Clisby Williams

Apr 8, 2003, 1:15:11 PM4/8/03

Mary S. wrote:

Sorry, I don't do cloth, but have you tried the flushable diaper liners?
Isn't that what
they're for?

Clisby

Dawn Lawson

Apr 8, 2003, 1:16:58 PM4/8/03

Mary S. wrote:

> For those who cloth diaper, what does everybody do with the semi-solid
> sludge? I've heard about scraping with a plastic knife (ew), about
> simply shaking into the trash

?? Toilet. not trash. yukko.

> (not solid enough for that yet), about the
> toilet sprayer thing (sounds promising) -- are there other options? How
> do you all handle dirty diapers?

I have changed two in the last 6 weeks. I simply hold DS on the toilet ( I
sit behind him, fully dressed, and he sits bare bum just in front of me,
between my legs, little feet twiddling in mid air. Very cute) when I notice
him straining at a movement (not that he's constipated, just that the more
solid ones every other day take a litle more than the bf slimey ones. Much
nicer for him too, I think, as not covered in poop, just normal bum wiping
needed. Plus head start on associating toilet and poop.

Those that I missed I just shook into toilet, rinsed in tub with hand shower
to get the last bits off, and chucked into diaper pail. You can fold the
diaper in half so that the poo'd area is facing out, on the fold, and dab it
into the toilet water that way.

Dawn

Mary S.

Apr 8, 2003, 1:30:49 PM4/8/03
New York Jen wrote:

> Oh Mary, you've got me laughing hysterically here! I don't use cloth, so I
> can't help you, but wouldn't regular old baby wipes do the trick? I'd
> imagine that you could just "scoop" it up and put it in the toilet? I have
> no idea, just thought I'd offer a guess!

That's me, always good for a laugh. ;) But that's a brain-wave; just
scoop it out with a wipe or with toilet paper.

Somehow, I keep hoping there's some miracle solution that doesn't
involve keeping the diaper pail in the bathroom at all. We've got the
diaper-changing station set up in the playroom and it's the most
convenient thing.

Mary S.
mom to cat-chasing Sproutkin, 13 months

Message has been deleted

Iuil

Apr 8, 2003, 1:53:20 PM4/8/03

"Mary S." wrote

> For those who cloth diaper, what does everybody do with the semi-solid
> sludge? I've heard about scraping with a plastic knife (ew), about
> simply shaking into the trash (not solid enough for that yet), about the
> toilet sprayer thing (sounds promising) -- are there other options? How
> do you all handle dirty diapers?

A) Fleece liners - the poop usually just falls off.
B) A shampoo spray attached to the sink next to the loo in the event that
some "encouragement" is needed.
C) A cloth soaked in 1tsp vinegar to 500ml water laid over the top of the
dirties in the bucket :-).

Jean

--
Return address is unread. Replies to <firstnamelastname> @eircom.net.

Cheryl S.

Apr 8, 2003, 2:36:53 PM4/8/03
New York Jen <ju...@dontspammeeprinc.net> wrote in message

> Oh Mary, you've got me laughing hysterically here! I don't use cloth,
so I
> can't help you, but wouldn't regular old baby wipes do the trick? I'd
> imagine that you could just "scoop" it up and put it in the toilet? I
have
> no idea, just thought I'd offer a guess!

Or toilet paper? (Since regular baby wipes aren't flushable.)

> I'm still laughing.
>
> :-)

I know, isn't Mary cute? :-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 years!
#2 EDD 4.Sept

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Dawn Lawson

Apr 8, 2003, 4:08:47 PM4/8/03

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

> In message <3E92F85C...@yahoo.com>, Mary S. wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> I saw your subject and for some reason thought of a small baby shower,
> presents and such things.
>
> When I have to deal with a heavily-soiled nappy I just flush the toilet
> while sluicing the nappy up and down. However, I suspect this won't work
> with a typical US flush, UK plumbing is normally different in this respect.

?? why wouldn't it work? I personally find UK plumbing a bit of a pia, since
there's a knack to getting the darn things to flush. Haven't had a boo into
the tank of a loo in the UK (hmmm, that sounds like Seuss on drugs) to see the
mechanical differences....

Dawn

Truffles

Apr 8, 2003, 4:16:24 PM4/8/03
Cheryl S. wrote:
> (Since regular baby wipes aren't flushable.)

Well, sort of.

If you are on septic, they are definitely not flushable.

But if you are on a city sewer system AND your city has primary
filtration AND you have a high capacity flush toilet you can. You need
the large water volume of to flush the wipe through your sewer lateral
into the sewer main. Once it goes through primary filtration it will
end up in the landfill.

--
Brigitte
SAHM to Katerina and Joshua

toypup

Apr 8, 2003, 4:47:31 PM4/8/03

> For those who cloth diaper, what does everybody do with the semi-solid
> sludge? I've heard about scraping with a plastic knife (ew), about
> simply shaking into the trash (not solid enough for that yet), about the
> toilet sprayer thing (sounds promising) -- are there other options? How
> do you all handle dirty diapers?

Do you mean this: http://www.minishower.com/commodes.html ?

Not My Real Name

Apr 8, 2003, 7:17:11 PM4/8/03

"Mary S." <msweath...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
We've got the diaper changing station in the nursery, which is across from
the bathroom. I put the diaper pail in the bathroom when she was born
partly because I was anticipating needing to dump the solid poop in the
toilet, but mostly because I like to wash my hands after changing a diaper,
wet or poopy, and that way the sink's right there.

The other advantage to that is that since we have the Diaper Champ, DD likes
to put things in it and turn the chute over. That little game happens less
when it's in the bathroom, because I keep that door closed unless I'm in
there.

-Sara:)

Truffles

Apr 8, 2003, 7:32:52 PM4/8/03
Truffles wrote:
> But if you are on a city sewer system AND your city has primary
> filtration ...

DOH!

Not primary filtration. Primary TREATMENT. Sorry folks, brain hiccup. ;-)

Chotii

Apr 8, 2003, 7:49:58 PM4/8/03

"Barbara Foster Williams" <bafoN...@mindSPAMspring.com> wrote in message

> In article <78Dka.3802$Xd1.2...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> "New York Jen" <ju...@dontspammeeprinc.net> wrote:
>
> > Oh Mary, you've got me laughing hysterically here! I don't use cloth,
so I
> > can't help you, but wouldn't regular old baby wipes do the trick? I'd
> > imagine that you could just "scoop" it up and put it in the toilet? I
have
> > no idea, just thought I'd offer a guess!
>
> This is what I do, more or less. If the diaper is really bad, I'll
> swish it.

Exactly. I put on my handy-dandy pair of rubber gloves (stored glove-end
first in the diaper pail, the cuffs hanging out) and swish the diaper in the
toilet until that stuff comes off. If it's really stubborn, I'll use both
gloved hands to 'scrub' the diaper with itself until the stuff comes off.
No, it's not pretty, but it doesn't get on your hands, and then the gloves
just go back into the pail again so that if they drip, they drip into the
pail. I use a 'dry pail' but of course the diapers that have been swished
are wet, and stay wet for the few days until they're washed, so any poop
left on will remain soft and will come off in the first cold-water rinse
before the hot-water/soap wash. If you're worried about mildew, keep a
gallon of white vinegar next to the pail, and dump a few glugs over top of
the diapers in the pail. No mildew. It will also nullify ammonia smells.

--angela, kids in cloth diapers for the last almost 6 years and #4 will be
in cloth also

G&A&K

Apr 8, 2003, 9:34:37 PM4/8/03

"Mary S." <msweath...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I hear ya!
I keep a spray bottle of water beside the toilet with the nozzle turned to
squirt instead of mist. DD's poos are usually pretty well formed now so
they mostly tend to just fall into the loo, but those really mushy ones are
a bit of a bugger to shift. The only good thing is that the soft ones don't
seem to smell quite as bad as the well-formed ones (which are mostly solids
I guess).
HTH
Amanda

Leslie

Apr 8, 2003, 11:00:58 PM4/8/03
OK, here's what I do.

After seven years of toilet dunking, I found I just couldn't stomach it this
time. So I just shake out whatever will fall off into the toilet, then I take
the soiled diaper and drop it in the pail. I only put soiled items in that
pail.

When it's time to do a white load (about every two days here) I pour the soiled
ones into the washer and do a pre-wash on cold. Then I add a little soap and
sometimes bleach or oxiclean and fill it with hot water to soak for a few
hours. Then I drain that and run another cold prewash. Then I add all other
whites (wet diapers, towels, underwear, etc.) add soap and do a heavy-duty hot
wash with two rinses.

Doing the above cleans my diapers (which are usually caked with BM since
William eats so few solids) and my hands never go in the toilet.

Leslie

nos...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2003, 12:35:42 AM4/9/03

> Um, congrats, I think, lol. Didja make a sticker? :)

Bwahaha! No, but I need to! My second-year sticker calendar came today
and I gloated over it and then had to track down all the post-it notes
I've been recording her daily discoveries on, and transfer them.

> Minishower.com. :) My DH installed it in about two seconds.

Ahhhh, thank you. ;)

> FLEECE LINERS!!! The minishower is great for a while, while it's
> still highly made up of breastmilk and still semi-runny and soft,
> so it's worth the money for the next couple of months or whatever.
> Now that DD usually
> eats 3 meals of solids a day, plus 6-8 nursings,

This amount of food still boggles my mind. I was watching two toddlers
at playgroup today eating lunch; one of them ate two entire mini
tupperware containers of table food, the other ate a few bites of
cantaloupe and a pretzel. Both totally normal lunches for them. It
reminded me of the discussions we used to have about how four
3-month-olds can be so incredibly differently sized and all three
perfectly normal and healthy for their own genes.

> You can get the nice Malden
> Mills fleece, but I just tried some inexpensive fleece that I had
> on hand first, and it's worked like a charm!

That's a fantastic idea. I bought 10 yards of blue MM fleece on
terrific sale, because maybe we'll have a boy in future years, the price
was too good to pass up and, well, everyone knows I'm that kind of
overplanner, :) so this will be the ideal way to use a bit of it. And
you don't have to serge or anything, because it's fleece? Did you just
cut a fitted-diaper-sized liner, or straight rectangles?

Doesn't it get awfully bulky with the medium-sized prefolds (white
stitching, right?) AND a terry doubler AND a fleece insert? Since we're
in disposables overnight ATM while I humor this night-nursing addiction,
I realize how much bulkier cloth is. And that's just a prefold and a
wrap -- and still a green-stitched prefold at that. Sproutkin's in 12M
sizes in daytime clothes, but back in her baby 6-12M sleepers with the
'sposies.

> She tends to go 2-4 times in one day or two,

I am absolutely not listening to you. La la la la la...

;)

Mary S.
mom to the pesto-covered Sproutkin, 13 months

nos...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2003, 12:36:50 AM4/9/03
toypup wrote:

Yes! Although now I'm thinking I'll give the fleece liners a try first
and go for the minishower if that won't cut it quite yet.

Mary S.
mom to the gleeful streaking-naked-through-the-house Sproutkin, 13 months

Mary S.

Apr 9, 2003, 1:44:36 AM4/9/03

> I don't use the terry things during the day. During the day I just use one
> prefold, with white stitching, usually folded cross-wise, with a fleece
> liner. The fleece doesn't add any significant bulk. She wears mostly 18M
> clothing; some of her 12M fits a bit (I have one pair of 12M overalls that
> I'm hoping will make it through the spring because they're so darn cute on
> her), and some of the 18M is getting small now, so much of her summer stuff
> is 18-24M. Totally depends on the brand. At night we use two of the
> micro-terry things plus a fleece liner, and that's not any bulkier than one
> prefold, maybe even less so.

Oh, I see -- no prefold at night, no doubler during the day. That makes
much more sense.

I agree about the brand making a huge difference in clothing sizes. I
am sort of appalled to notice that it's a lot like adult "vanity sizing"
-- the higher-end boutique clothing is the roomiest (she's just about to
grow out of her 6M House of Hatten clothes and just about to fit into
the 9M ones), the middle-end lines up perfectly to her age (BabyGap,
Land's End, and Gymboree are all 12M sizes, although a few 6-12s still
fit), and the less expensive clothes tend to run smaller (she's already
outgrowing some of her 12M Circo/Target outfits, which is sad because
they don't make that adorable Pooh line in toddler sizes). Adult
women's clothing is the exact same way -- the more expensive, the
roomier the sizes. It's totally stupid.

And don't get me started about sewing pattern sizing. At least you go
by measurements there.

Mary S.
mom to the sleeping Sproutkin, 13 months

Barbara Foster Williams

Apr 9, 2003, 3:16:41 PM4/9/03

> Doesn't it get awfully bulky with the medium-sized prefolds (white
> stitching, right?) AND a terry doubler AND a fleece insert? Since we're
> in disposables overnight ATM while I humor this night-nursing addiction,
> I realize how much bulkier cloth is. And that's just a prefold and a
> wrap -- and still a green-stitched prefold at that. Sproutkin's in 12M
> sizes in daytime clothes, but back in her baby 6-12M sleepers with the
> 'sposies.

Mary, have you thought of using FuzziBunz at night? That's what we
do--FuzziBunz with two JoeyBunz inserts. It works wonderfully, no
leaks, etc. You may be happy with what you're currently doing, but I
thought I'd mention it.

Message has been deleted

Barbara Foster Williams

Apr 11, 2003, 6:34:48 PM4/11/03
In article <3E948E05...@yahoo.com>, msweath...@yahoo.com
wrote:

> Barbara Foster Williams wrote:
>
> > Mary, have you thought of using FuzziBunz at night? That's what we
> > do--FuzziBunz with two JoeyBunz inserts. It works wonderfully, no
> > leaks, etc. You may be happy with what you're currently doing, but I
> > thought I'd mention it.
>

> I wasn't overwhelmingly impressed with them when Sproutkin was still in
> her size small wraps, so it hadn't occurred to me to get some to try for
> nighttime diapering. I may get a medium-sized one and see if stays
> leak-free in that. I would prefer it to the disposables, for
> environmental reasons, but had just resigned myself to the Huggies until
> she starts nursing a bit less at night. I'll try a FB, though. Thanks
> for the suggestion.
>
> Mary S.
> mom to the Sproutkin, 13 months

No problem. :) I love FuzziBunz, so I suggest them to people whenever
appropriate. :)