How did black Friday treat you?

lubow

Jul 27, 2007, 9:09:21 PM7/27/07

Like almost everyone else, Friday was a bitcheroo, but we actually had some
stocks in the UP column!

US
===
Google GOOG
Celgene CELG
Inter Parfum IPAR
NYSE (yes! NYSE) NYX

Foreign
======
Aecon Gp ARE.TO
Altius Minerals ALS.TO
Boskalis Westminster BOKA.AS
CNH Holdings CNH
Endeavour Mining EDV.TO
Formation Capital FCO.TO
Lakeview Hotels LHR-UN.V
Seaspan SSW
Syngenta SYT

Syngenta is somewhat unusual. Normally I would buy the stock over its ADR,
but in this case the ADR was selling at a lower price compared to the Zurich
price and the ADR also paid a slightly higher dividend.

Also note that both Seaspan and CNH are only traded in significant
quantities as NYSE listed stocks.

uncle_vito

Jul 28, 2007, 12:49:49 AM7/28/07
You forgot CME. Up $19.

Kept my portfolio in the black.

Vito
"lubow" <lu...@lubow-industries.com> wrote in message

lubow

Jul 28, 2007, 12:57:06 AM7/28/07
Congrats, Unc!

--
Lubow
"uncle_vito" <uncle_v...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Charlie Perrin

Jul 28, 2007, 1:05:05 AM7/28/07
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:09:21 GMT, "lubow" wrote:

>Like almost everyone else, Friday was a bitcheroo, but we actually had some
>stocks in the UP column!

>US

Procter & Gamble (PG)
GE Capital Corp Preferred 5.875% (GED)
Boeing (BA)
Southwest Airlines (LUV)

>Foreign

Toyota Motor Corporation (TM)

Jerry

Jul 28, 2007, 8:02:42 AM7/28/07
Everything I own was down. However, if I compare it to my objective of
beating the S/P, I did great. :-)

Jerry

The Visitor

Jul 28, 2007, 9:31:54 AM7/28/07
Black Friday?

Thursday was worse for me. Friday, I felt like things were recovering.
Overall my portfolio lost 5 percent by close of Thursday. I have not
looked at the total after Fridays close. I did stuff a lot of FNI-TO in
the bucket at 1.18 as it seemed to be a bargain at that price. Normally
I would have let it go on Friday at 1.25. And I did start to fill out
the sell order for half, but for some reason I held off, hoping for more
recovery next week. If it goes back down, it will really hurt. I
normally day trade this one and do very well on it. Oh and I scored some
of my PMD-TO also. But that will be a long term hold as they have a
product to bring to market. After how many years I am finally developing
the patience to hold on to a stock as an invesstment, I think.

Good luck to all.

John

bob wald

Jul 28, 2007, 10:14:02 AM7/28/07
GCOG,,,up 33%%%%%!!!!! i loved fri!!!!!

carolyn

Jul 28, 2007, 10:56:41 AM7/28/07
great! covered xom, cvx, tol, hoku, aa shorts thursday and tol and tzoo
friday! Excellent week!
the lowest gain was tzoo at 29% gain and the best was tol at 166%

they all of course moved much more downward, but I locked in and did fine.

2Penny

Jul 28, 2007, 12:56:40 PM7/28/07
How did black Friday treat me? Soooo sweeeeet!!!

On Tuesday, I noticed the market will start going down, sold all my
calls, bought puts, and by Friday, I had doubled my money!!! This week
has been the best for me! :)

Mrs. 2Penny

lubow

Jul 28, 2007, 1:33:25 PM7/28/07
I see a new chairman of the board in my crystal ball!

--
Lubow
"bob wald" <bob36...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> GCOG,,,up 33%%%%%!!!!! i loved fri!!!!!

Ben Sharvy

Jul 28, 2007, 5:47:00 PM7/28/07
On Jul 28, 9:02 pm, "Jerry" <nospam@???> wrote:
> Everything I own was down. However, if I compare it to my objective of
> beating the S/P, I did great. :-)

Ditto. Beat all the indices, lost money. I was 25-30% in cash, because
I was bearish. Yay for me, too bad I covered my shorts the previous
week (sigh). I've been nibbling here and there...added to positions in
SWZ (Swiss fund), TRGL (Turkish nat. gas) and MXF (Mexico fund).

The Visitor

Jul 28, 2007, 10:36:04 PM7/28/07
Black Monday comming????

FrediFizzx

Jul 28, 2007, 10:45:20 PM7/28/07
Sheesh, everytime I go on vacation we have a good downturn. I'm gonna
start shorting the market (DIA or SPY) before I leave. ;-) Had a few up
on Friday barely, BAC, JPM, BUD, and CSH up for 5.73%. We are still
sitting on a good amount of cash and bonds so going to do some buying if
this is the bottom. After a quick glance, it looks like upside earnings
surprises are still beating downside surprises so this must just be
panic selling.

Fred

Shhhh

Jul 28, 2007, 11:42:37 PM7/28/07
I had a few that managed to see green by the end of the day...

BAC (Bank of America) - Amazingly
BUD (Anheuser-Busch)
BWLD (Buffalo Wild Wings)
DVA (Davita)
TM (Toyota)
WWY (Wrigley)

Personally, I think this mkt. has another good 5-10% to fall, so saving some
ammo, but add more, and open new positions.

Just my 2 cents,
Shhhh

uncle_vito

Jul 29, 2007, 8:36:10 AM7/29/07
BWLD and TW were up in anticipation of earnings this week.

I wouldn't try to bottom pick.

There is now a lot of upside potential. Just wait it out for a few up days
then go in. Folks are going to sell on the rises (opposite of buy on the
dips)

Vito

"Shhhh" <1...@456.com> wrote in message

lubow

Jul 29, 2007, 12:29:39 PM7/29/07
How about waiting until after Labor Day when the real players return from
the Hamptons?

--
Lubow
"uncle_vito" <uncle_v...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

com...@webtv.net

Jul 29, 2007, 7:13:31 PM7/29/07
i found some good buys for next week....

" YOU ARE EITHER WITH US, OR AGAINST US "

FrediFizzx

Jul 29, 2007, 8:51:21 PM7/29/07
Might take that advice but what makes you think the "real players"
aren't playing from the Hamptons? I saw a few days ago on CNBC that a
whole cottage industry is growing up about playing the market from the
Hamptons. ;-) If it looks like big money is going to use this dip as a
buying opportunity, then I'm goin' in. Probably going to buy some more
EFA tomorrow anywise. Especially if Asia and Europe are up. If they
are down again, then I might wait.

Fred

"lubow" <lu...@lubow-industries.com> wrote in message

lubow

Jul 29, 2007, 10:44:03 PM7/29/07
You may have a point there. This new breed of traders may indeed be
obsessive-compulsive in their digs at Southampton.

The old money guys just took the summer off to the Hamptons and to Newport
to decompress for the fall. The Internet culture may have ended that.

Perhaps my investment in BDX will pay off. Doesn't Becton Dickinson make
heart catheters?

--
Lubow
"FrediFizzx" <fredi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message