selling price - limit vs stop

P.Schuman

Aug 8, 2007, 12:50:38 PM8/8/07
In a rising market, is there a way to trigger a "sell" using something
that will act as a threshold (like a stop) but yet allow the sale price
to float at the market vs being fixed with a limit ?

ie - was holding Panera - had a sell limit @ $47.00
today it went to $48.21 - but of course my transaction was sold at $47.00
vs the market price of $48.21

007

Aug 8, 2007, 1:20:52 PM8/8/07
instead of setting sell limit set alert send to you cell (text message) when
the price reach your sell limit and make decision then...

"P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message

Blash

Aug 8, 2007, 1:56:30 PM8/8/07
P.Schuman wrote on 8/8/07 12:50 PM:

Just tell your broker you want it sold on HOD(high of day)........

FrediFizzx

Aug 8, 2007, 2:20:13 PM8/8/07
"Blash" <bla...@comcast.net> wrote in message

How the heck does that work? Does his broker have a crystal ball? ;-)

Fred

Message has been deleted

007

Aug 8, 2007, 4:31:26 PM8/8/07
"Blash" <bla...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Do you know which broker has LOW (low of day) option, I'll sign with it in
the morning....

Blash

Aug 8, 2007, 5:45:13 PM8/8/07
007 wrote on 8/8/07 4:31 PM:

Only one broker that I know offers all the needed price options:
Market
Limit
AON(all or none)
Stop
Stop Limit
HOD(High Of Day)
LOD(Low of Day)
Psst(Check with us first-we have inside info)
If you are currently a Platinum member of Blash.com, check with your Private
Wealth advisor.

FrediFizzx

Aug 8, 2007, 7:41:46 PM8/8/07
"Blash" <bla...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Rats! Blash.com is not setup yet and I wanted to sign up right away.
That HOD and LOD is a great feature.

P.Schuman

Aug 8, 2007, 8:46:45 PM8/8/07

"Blash" <bla...@comcast.net> wrote in message

yeah yeah - I get it -
But... would it not make sense to have some order that once reached,
would convert to a market order - in a gaining market ?
It's available as a stop to protect a falling price threshold,
then why not for a gaining price threshold ?

ie - for my Panera.... at say $45
I can put a stop sell for $43 to protect further erosion - right ?
But what about the upside ?
I can't create an order (other than a limit order)
to convert into a market order at say a price point of $47
That was my basic question...
The Stop order can only be created for a price "lower" than current.

704set

Aug 8, 2007, 9:41:39 PM8/8/07

"Johnny Angel" <an...@heaven.com> wrote in message
> Oh, so that's what that option is in the order dropdown menu.
>
> M= Market
> L= Limit
> SL = Stop Limit
> AON = All or None
> HOD = High of Day
>
> I should probably use that more often...

Don't forget to use a LOD (low of day) order when buying.

704set

704set

Aug 8, 2007, 9:45:59 PM8/8/07

"P.Schuman" <pschuman_...@interserv.com> wrote in message

What you are asking is impossible. If there was such an order were the
limit turned into a market, the order will go off immediately around the
limit price. That sucker ain't gonna rise 2-3 points before it goes off.

704set

Blash

Aug 8, 2007, 10:27:23 PM8/8/07
in article Vttui.1277$3x....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net, P.Schuman at
pschuman_...@interserv.com wrote on 8/8/07 8:46 PM:

OK.....you put an order in to sell @ $45 & stock trades at that
price......
If the stock goes to $47 you think the broker should have a crystal ball
and wait to sell it at $47.......BUT, if it trades at your price of $45 and
then falls out of bed to $40, you & I both know you would be screaming that
he should have sold it at $45......
You've got to take responsibility for your own decisions.......

lubow

Aug 9, 2007, 12:57:45 AM8/9/07
Issue a sell stop with limit order. Normally, a stop order becomes a market
order when a transaction is made at the stop price.

You can specify that you want to issue a limit order with your stop as in
"Sell a hundred telephone at 40 stop with limit at 42.GTC" If the price
reaches 60, a limit order to sell 100 T @ 62 is issued, good 'til cancelled

I know such an order is available online at Interactive Brokers, but I have
never seen a stop with limit at any other online broker.

--
Lubow

704set

Aug 9, 2007, 6:42:40 AM8/9/07
Any broker worth his salt has stop limit orders.

704set

"lubow" <lu...@lubow-industries.com> wrote in message

Blash

Aug 9, 2007, 7:43:41 AM8/9/07
lubow wrote on 8/9/07 12:57 AM:

> Issue a sell stop with limit order. Normally, a stop order becomes a market
> order when a transaction is made at the stop price.
>
> You can specify that you want to issue a limit order with your stop as in
> "Sell a hundred telephone at 40 stop with limit at 42.GTC" If the price
> reaches 60, a limit order to sell 100 T @ 62 is issued, good 'til cancelled
>
> I know such an order is available online at Interactive Brokers, but I have
> never seen a stop with limit at any other online broker.

H U H ????

Lubow

Aug 9, 2007, 8:45:31 AM8/9/07
On Aug 9, 7:43 am, Blash <bla...@comcast.net> wrote:
> lubowwrote on 8/9/07 12:57 AM:

whoops I mean if price reaches 40... the perils of writing this crap
after midnight!

Lubow

Aug 9, 2007, 9:08:13 AM8/9/07
On Aug 8, 12:50 pm, "P.Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM...@interserv.com>
wrote:

I'm sorry, P. Shulman... I gave you a bum steer and should have better
understood your request. I also should get some sleep. Anyway, stops
are inappropriate for what you want to do.

If you don't like limit orders, you will need to get streaming quotes
focused on your stock and just keep monitoring it for the price you
want. Many brokers provide this level of service. TD-A and IB are
the brokers I use that provide tick by tick data for particular stocks
and I am sure many others do as well.

As an alternative, subscribe to a service that will provide tick by
tick data to a blackberry or a dedicated wireless quote device. But,
as you can guess from the more lucid people here, you will need a way
of continuously monitoring the price data.

You also need to know that illiquid stocks will have wide bid/ask
spreads so it may even be impossible to get a fill close to the last
trade.

--lubow.

bart...@webtv.net

Aug 9, 2007, 9:28:01 AM8/9/07

dynami...@hotmail.com

whoops I mean if price reaches 40... the perils of writing this crap
after midnight!

Way to go, Mike Tyson!

Bill Reid

Aug 9, 2007, 10:13:30 AM8/9/07

Lubow <dynami...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! More like writing it in the
twilight years of your rich fantasy life...

And again, this is why I call "Lowbrow", well, "Lowbrow"...

---
William Ernest Reid
Post count: 725

carolyn