"Google" is the next Yahoo....

Shelton Garner

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
http://google.stanford.edu/

I've used it several times over the last few months. I think right now
it's still one of those things that only people "in the know" use,
although it's beginning to get some press now. It really reminds me of
that other Stanford offshoot....Yahoo....

It runs on Linux and you actually find what you're looking for on the
Net with it. Damn, I wish I had some spare money floating about to
invest in it once it becomes a company.

Of course, there is a chance that Yahoo is so big now that there
_can't_ _be_ "another Yahoo."

lee
L. Shelton Bumgarner -- Keeper of the Great Renaming FAQ
Nattering Nabob of Narcissism * http://www.nottowayez.net/~leebum/
ICQ#: 9393354 * "Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time
to reform." -- Mark Twain

d s f o x o g s c i . u c s d . e d u

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98
lee...@nottowayez.net (Shelton Garner) writes:

> http://google.stanford.edu/
>
> I've used it several times over the last few months. I think right now
> it's still one of those things that only people "in the know" use,
> although it's beginning to get some press now. It really reminds me of
> that other Stanford offshoot....Yahoo....
>
> It runs on Linux and you actually find what you're looking for on the
> Net with it. Damn, I wish I had some spare money floating about to
> invest in it once it becomes a company.
>
> Of course, there is a chance that Yahoo is so big now that there
> _can't_ _be_ "another Yahoo."

Yahoo is a directory and generally a branded service provider. Google
is a search engine. Not really the same thing at all. But Google
definitely rocks. I think I read about it going commercial somewhere,
but that probably means some other search engine getting its (pretty
simple) technology. Whoever gets it is lucky, if it can really be
protected. The idea can be described in about two sentences.
--
David Fox http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab baL ICH DSCU

William Parradee

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
Can it also be used on Windows 95 ?? I have not yet installed
Linux.

Bill

d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox) wrote in
message ...

d s f o x o g s c i . u c s d . e d u

Nov 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/5/98
Sure, its just a web site: http://google.stanford.edu.

Matt Kuznicki

Nov 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/8/98
Anyone out there using NewHoo? It's a great human-edited directory of websites, a lot
more productive for general topics than the larger beasts, and leads you right to Google
with its searches.
http://www.newhoo.com -- rocks.

David Fox wrote:

> Sure, its just a web site: http://google.stanford.edu.

--
Matt Kuznicki -- kuz...@bgnet.bgsu.edu
http://129.1.213.25 -- in progress

The following is a Python RSA implementation. According to the US government
posting these four lines makes me an international arms trafficker! Join me
in civil disobedience; add these lines of code to your .sig block to help get
this stupid and unconstitutional law changed.
from sys import*;from string import*;a=argv;[s,p,q]=filter(lambda x:x[:1]!=
'-',a);d='-d'in a;e,n=atol(p,16),atol(q,16);l=(len(1)+1)/2;o,inb=l-d,l-1+d
while s:s=stdin.read(inb);s and map(stdout.write,map(lambda i,b=pow(reduce(
lambda x,y:(x<<8L)+y,map(ord,s)),e,n):chr(b>>8*i&255),range(o-1,-1,-1)))

-- from Eric S. Raymond

"All life is future to past."