day trading v/s DAY trading

FlyBoy

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Hello all:

I am not a day trader but I admire those who are for their
courage. I am not intending to become a day trader, but I like
to trade on weekly basis. The problem is that I have to pay
$25/trade and my portfolio value is $20K.

I have been reading some books on day trading. My question to
you is:

Would I be able to apply the same day trading rules but on larger
scale to my portfolio and trade more often than I am (1/month) or
is not worth it and just let the money ride with big/safe players?

Where can I get the fastest quotes for free?

Your input is greatly appreciated,

aza...@yahoo.com

Gary Shannon

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
I would reccommend not fiddling with your portfolio. As a general rule the
more often people trade the worse off they are. Trading is not something to
do casually, or without lots of study and practice.

--gary

sh...@ecn.ab.ca

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Gary Shannon (reb...@rio.com) wrote:
: I would reccommend not fiddling with your portfolio. As a general rule the

: more often people trade the worse off they are. Trading is not something to
: do casually, or without lots of study and practice.

: --gary

You are correct, Gary. Only the terminally greedy and/or young and/or
immature fall for the day-trading flavour of the minute.

: FlyBoy wrote in message <385E3FC8...@yahoo.com>...

: >Hello all:
: >

sh...@ecn.ab.ca

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
FlyBoy (aza...@yahoo.com) wrote:
: Hello all:

: I am not a day trader but I admire those who are for their
: courage. I am not intending to become a day trader, but I like
: to trade on weekly basis. The problem is that I have to pay
: $25/trade and my portfolio value is $20K.

Courage?Yeah, right. More like their interminable greed and impatience.
God help that they should have to wait more than ONE FUCKING DAY before
realizing their gains. I have a LOT more respect for people like Warren
Buffet and his buy and hold philosophy.

Gary Shannon

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99

sh...@ecn.ab.ca wrote in message <385e5...@ecn.ab.ca>...

>You are correct, Gary. Only the terminally greedy and/or young and/or
>immature fall for the day-trading flavour of the minute.

Greed is good.

--gary (the day trader)

704set

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
A portfolio is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it
gets.

--

704set

FlyBoy wrote in message <385E3FC8...@yahoo.com>...

>Hello all:
>
>I am not a day trader but I admire those who are for their
>courage. I am not intending to become a day trader, but I like
>to trade on weekly basis. The problem is that I have to pay
>$25/trade and my portfolio value is $20K.

Gary Shannon

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99

704set <704...@usa.net> wrote in message ...

>A portfolio is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it, the smaller it
>gets.
>
>--
>
>704set

But gee whiz! The more you fool with the soap the more bubbles it
makes. That's where all the fun is. :)

--gary

XF-11

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99

sh...@ecn.ab.ca wrote:

> FlyBoy (aza...@yahoo.com) wrote:
> : Hello all:

> : I am not a day trader but I admire those who are for their
> : courage. I am not intending to become a day trader, but I like
> : to trade on weekly basis. The problem is that I have to pay
> : $25/trade and my portfolio value is $20K.
>

> Courage?Yeah, right. More like their interminable greed and impatience.
> God help that they should have to wait more than ONE FUCKING DAY before
> realizing their gains. I have a LOT more respect for people like Warren
> Buffet and his buy and hold philosophy.

Unfortunately if you pick the wrong stocks to buy and hold your money will
disappear just as quick as a bad daytrader. It just won't seem like it....

> : I have been reading some books on day trading. My question to

> : you is:
>
> : Would I be able to apply the same day trading rules but on larger
> : scale to my portfolio and trade more often than I am (1/month) or
> : is not worth it and just let the money ride with big/safe players?
>
> : Where can I get the fastest quotes for free?
>
> : Your input is greatly appreciated,
>
> : aza...@yahoo.com

Nayal Khan

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Can anyone give me any information with regards to the canadian investment
bank - Canaccord Capital. I have looked at their web-site already and need
furthur info - with special regards to their trading department and products
they trade.

E-Mail me at : slic...@yahoo.com

rick++

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
The tax laws become less favorable the faster you trade.

Less than one month: you can't deduct a capital loss if sell at a loss
then buy the stock back in less than 30 days.

Less than one year: you pay ordinary income tax on your gains instead of
cheaper long term capital gains. This discount is between 25% and 50%
depending on your tax bracket.

Less five years: a new, cheaper long term capital gains kicks in then,
I believe around 2003.

On the other hand if you trade for a living, you may be able to deduct
more trading expenses than if you trade part-time.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

enric...@my-deja.com

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

It all depends on WHO you are holding long.. talk to the people who
went long on HomeBase for '99, the pain lasted all year. They spent 11
months goofing around only to go from a high of 7 in February down to a
current 2 15/16ths. Anyone else want to sign up for a long, slow drain
on 2/3rds your investment??

Sure, lots of short-term traders & day-traders take it in the
huevos.. but after pulling in a 6% gain in two hours on QCOM this
morning... I'll stick with short-term or at best a long position with a
safe Sell-Stop order under it.