Ok.. did you all get that out of your system?

1 view

Namara

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Psst... and they call themselves "smart money".
The pros ran again.

Namara <-----Long and Lovin it!

Sean Clare

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Only problem is being able to go longer.

That doesn't sound right :0

Adam Russell

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Drink plenty of fluids.
I crack me up.

"Sean Clare" <tirmi...@geocities.com> wrote in message

The StockHog

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Everyone talks about all the money they made and/or lost..........I have not
lost a cent or made a cent until I sell.
The StockHog ---> long and lovin it as well

StockZOO.......we're just a bunch of bull
http://www.stockzoo.com
St. Louis, MO

cjt&trefoil

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00

The StockHog wrote:

> Everyone talks about all the money they made and/or lost..........I have not
> lost a cent or made a cent until I sell.
> The StockHog ---> long and lovin it as well
>
><snip>

I've heard that concept before, but disagree strongly with it. If
everything you own files bankruptcy and disappears, but you never sold
it, have you lost nothing? The rest is just a matter of degree.

I regularly mark my holdings to market in my own mind.

JMHO, and not investment advice.

Namara

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
>Only problem is being able to go longer.
>
>That doesn't sound right :0

Oh well this dummy still staying . That's me over by the door holding it open
for all the smart money to leave. I'll get the lights.

Namara < ---- workin a door again. ;-)

dickweed

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

The StockHog wrote in message ...

>Everyone talks about all the money they made and/or lost..........I have
not
>lost a cent or made a cent until I sell.
>The StockHog ---> long and lovin it as well

What you say is true, but it is so obvious that it is not worth stating.
If a stock you held ( hypothetically of course, because all your picks
are "good strong" companies ) went bankrupt, would you say there
was no loss, because you never sold it ? If the worse thing that could
possibly happen to you happened, and you needed every dime, would
now be the best time to sell ? Maybe, maybe not. The fact is, even
long termers have cause to be concerned about the VALUE of their
holdings sometimes, and that is a legitimate concern. Sometimes,
long term can become LOOOONG term.
Good fortune to you.

dickweed

axp

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

The StockHog wrote in message ...
>Everyone talks about all the money they made and/or lost..........I have
not
>lost a cent or made a cent until I sell.

No, if the value of your stocks is less today than yesterday, you have lost.
If it is worth less than you paid for it, you have lost. If you have spent
your paper profits, and the stock is worth less than the combination of what
you paid for the stock and the amount you spent of your paper profits, you
have lost.

The STOCK DOESN'T KNOW YOU OWN IT. THE STOCK DOESN'T KNOW WHERE YOU BOUGHT
IT. THE STOCK IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO EVER GO BACK TO THE PRICE YOU PAID
FOR IT.

Imagine you bought and 'still own' Drexel, or Yamaiichi. Maybe you didn't
sell yet, but guess what, you lost.

A paper gain is a paper gain, but a paper loss is REAL MONEY.