HP : Massive strike and protest march today

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 2:56:01 PM10/4/05

BJ in Texas

Oct 4, 2005, 2:59:59 PM10/4/05
mark...@yahoo.com wrote:

So what! Seems to be posted in the wrong newsgroup.

--
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." -

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 3:04:05 PM10/4/05
>So what! Seems to be posted in the wrong newsgroup.

Just the opposite. Read the articles and you will see the real lack of
industrial strategy
and lack of ethics of HP.

Very important to know before investing !

BJ in Texas

Oct 4, 2005, 3:05:53 PM10/4/05

Which is political and has not place here...

--
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to
open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 3:15:03 PM10/4/05
>Which is political and has not place here...

No it is not political.

The lack of industrial vision, the lach of ethics (think about
ethical funds), distributing millions in stocks and stock options
to some execs will lead to losses very soon.

Adam Russell

Oct 4, 2005, 3:26:50 PM10/4/05
I couldnt find mention of HP in the article you linked. Instead, it was an
article about protests against french government policies and failings.

<mark...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 3:19:36 PM10/4/05
look at the photo and the comment under it

Adam Russell

Oct 4, 2005, 3:40:41 PM10/4/05
Ah I see. I read the article not the photo and you read the photo and not
the article. The article was about protests against the government. Had
nothing to do with HP.

<mark...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mushroom

Oct 4, 2005, 3:39:53 PM10/4/05

This has VERY LITTLE to do with HP apart from the photo caption, but if
you want some input from those of us who work at HP then I can tell you
that the French offices have had this coming for a long time. They are
like the rest of the French, in that they seem to think the world owes
them a living - that they can work a 35 hour week and still enjoy their
50 days holiday a year.

The French employment laws have caused this problem, not HP. As an
investor and shareholder I want effieciently run organisations, not ones
beholden to some golden but unacheiveable idea that the world is the
same as it was in the 1950s and 1960s.

Grow up and understand that this is a global economy and we all have to
compete with China and other emerging nations. Going on strike isn't
going to make it any better.

--
Mushroom

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 4:01:44 PM10/4/05
>Which is political and has not place here

Not it is not political. Laying off people while making profits, the
lack of industrial vision,
distributing millions in stocks and stock options to some execs, the
lack
of ethics (think about ethical founds) will lead
to losses very soon.

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 4:59:37 PM10/4/05

> This has VERY LITTLE to do with HP apart from the photo caption, but if
> you want some input from those of us who work at HP then I can tell you
> that the French offices have had this coming for a long time. They are
> like the rest of the French, in that they seem to think the world owes
> them a living - that they can work a 35 hour week and still enjoy their
> 50 days holiday a year.
>
> The French employment laws have caused this problem, not HP. As an
> investor and shareholder I want effieciently run organisations, not ones
> beholden to some golden but unacheiveable idea that the world is the
> same as it was in the 1950s and 1960s.
>
> Grow up and understand that this is a global economy and we all have to
> compete with China and other emerging nations. Going on strike isn't
> going to make it any better.

1° There was a representation from a us union with the HP delegation

2° Most people at HP France work 45-50 hours a week

3° A company which pretend to be ethic and pretend that its employees
are its best assets cannot lay off people while augmenting its profits
and distributing millions in stock options and stock gifts to a few
exec.
(Much more than IBM or DELL, check by yourself on marketwatch).

That's my opinion and apparently the opinion of a growing number of
americans too (ammong them many HP employees which have seen their
collegues shown the door because of the lack of strategy of HP's CEO)

Now let people access to the links and make their opinion by
themselves.

PS : I wonder who has to grow up.

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 4, 2005, 5:02:29 PM10/4/05

Rich

Oct 4, 2005, 6:13:14 PM10/4/05

An ENTIRE nation of overpaid, underworked BUMS. No wonder the EU
is going down the tubes. Are they going to produce mountains of
uneeded HP printers, just to provide work, the way they do with
agricultural products?
-Rich

Porn Addict

Oct 5, 2005, 12:28:22 AM10/5/05
Is there an english version (blog) or do we guess?

Francois H

Oct 5, 2005, 1:11:27 AM10/5/05

"Mushroom" <mush...@nospam.thanks> a écrit dans le message de

> mark...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Photos and comments :
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/BUSINESS/10/04/france.strike/index.html
> >
> > http://cftchp.blogspot.com/
> >

> This has VERY LITTLE to do with HP apart from the photo caption, but if
> you want some input from those of us who work at HP then I can tell you
> that the French offices have had this coming for a long time. They are
> like the rest of the French, in that they seem to think the world owes
> them a living - that they can work a 35 hour week and still enjoy their
> 50 days holiday a year.

The standard is 25 days holiday a year not 50.

Arthur

Oct 5, 2005, 2:03:43 AM10/5/05
It is not just La Francais but most of the non-communist bloc
countries. Now the old communist bloc is mean and lean and is the new
Euro Tiger. Sure HP has problems in my opinion. I recently pointed a
friend in need of a printer to Cannon. Another friend has a HP retail
desktop in which the hdd died an early death due to heat problems
designed into the box. They tunnel the case fan directly to the cpu
allowing the rest of the machine to run too warm and thus shorten the
life of components. New hdd and it is running fine sans their dumb
fan tunnel.

If the French are so smart they would say good riddance to HP and
invite a better company to setup shop...if they can bribe them enough.
No insult meant to the HP people here as I realize it doesn't take
long for shitty management to kill the goose.

=

Mushroom

Oct 5, 2005, 5:53:54 AM10/5/05
Francois H wrote:

>>This has VERY LITTLE to do with HP apart from the photo caption, but if
>>you want some input from those of us who work at HP then I can tell you
>>that the French offices have had this coming for a long time. They are
>>like the rest of the French, in that they seem to think the world owes
>>them a living - that they can work a 35 hour week and still enjoy their
>>50 days holiday a year.
>

> The standard is 25 days holiday a year not 50.

I *know* what the HP standard is. However, with French national holidays
plus the way that teh French have implemented the European Working Time
Directive which limits the number of hours you can work to 35 but lets
you "carry over" hours over the 35 per week into holidays that can mean
50 days.

--
Mushroom

ka...@sonic.net

Oct 5, 2005, 6:03:15 AM10/5/05
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 04:28:22 GMT, Porn Addict <c23...@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Is there an english version (blog) or do we guess?

Guess.

BJ in Texas

Oct 5, 2005, 9:00:10 AM10/5/05

i.e. Political - wish you spammers would keep you politcal
crap out of unrelated newsgroups.

--
"If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough
for Texas." - Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, Texas governor (1920s)

BJ in Texas

Oct 5, 2005, 9:04:47 AM10/5/05

There are a number of newsgroups where your post would
be appreciated and on topic. The people there would be
more than happy to debate politics with you. I frequent
several and can provide you with a short list it you would
like.

--
"To see what is right and not to do it, is want of courage." --
Confucious

ka...@sonic.net

Oct 5, 2005, 3:12:34 PM10/5/05
On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:53:54 GMT, Mushroom <mush...@nospam.thanks>
wrote:

So you think overtime should be a free gift to the employers?
Get serious.

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2005, 3:28:23 PM10/5/05
>There are a number of newsgroups where your post would
>be appreciated and on topic. The people there would be
>more than happy to debate politics with you. I frequent
>several and can provide you with a short list it you would
>like.

I am not trying to be appreciated. Just trying to inform the investors
about the company in which they invest !
I think it is perfectly on topic.
For instance, do you only know what HP is selling ?

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 5, 2005, 3:29:10 PM10/5/05
There is an english blog :

http://hpwfr.blogspot.com/

Arthur

Oct 5, 2005, 7:21:18 PM10/5/05
How many first job employees land a job with 4 weeks vacation unless
it is pitching hot dogs at the beach.

Their cars are crap. BMW and Mercedes join the ranks of Fiat. Even
GM builds better cars. Germany lost the high end camera business to
Japan years ago. And on and on and ...

But you know what? Words don't mean a thing.

arthur
=

Arthur Entlich

Oct 5, 2005, 9:53:24 PM10/5/05
I can't claim to know what HP in France is demanding relative to other
divisions. I don't know if HP in France is selling goods worldwide or
mainly to people in France, either, (if they mainly produce for France,
then the company culture should reflect the workers and clients more)
and I am not necessarily a great supporter of everything within the
French culture. However, some concepts they have right. People
shouldn't ruin their health working, and particularly for a company that
shows little to no loyalty to their employees, and in recent years HP
has shown a poor attitude toward their long term and loyal workers, all
in the search for better stock holder support and outrageous "gifts" and
golden parachutes to upper management and execs. C.F. certainly did
major damage to the company under her stewardship, as well.

As in France, family should come before workplace, and French culture
has a better understanding of this, and offers better education and
welfare for their children than many other countries, including the US.

The EU community is overall showing more leadership in making new and
improved environmental standards, especially in areas of high tech,
working on global climate change, etc.

Multinationals need to be more sensitive to the culture of the countries
they hold offices and manufacturing plants within. Just because people
at HP US may be willing to sacrifice there health and families for their
job doesn't necessarily make it a good thing (for anyone other than HP
execs and stock holders).

Companies need to develop more balance in how they function. Developing
a race for the bottom, just because some countries' cultures allow for
it, hardly makes it smart. It's not about the 1960's or 1970's, it
about the fact that we hopefully have evolved far enough to recognize
those approaches are hazardous and not beneficial. Some of the
developing world is just entering an evolution we are hopefully just
leaving. We should be in no rush to compete with what the workers in
those countries will eventually recognize is a poorer set of values.

Art

The Michael

Oct 5, 2005, 11:53:57 PM10/5/05
On Wed 05 Oct 2005 06:21:18p, Arthur wrote in

> But you know what? Words don't mean a thing.
>
> arthur

Well then, I will again ask you to sign your name to all of this
meaningless fine print... you may find yourself the owner of something
beyond your wildest dreams.

--

Mike

mark...@yahoo.com

Oct 7, 2005, 6:20:38 PM10/7/05

There was also a strike today in HP Italy against the (lack of)
strategy of HP's CEO Mark Hurd.

And a protest of the UK employees :

The UK Employee Representatives strongly disagree with the proposed
work-force management figure of 968 for the United Kingdom. Employees
are extremely concerned with the continual erosion of UK jobs, being
transferred under the banner of ‘off-shore and near-shoring’ to
emerging European countries, primarily for financial reasons. The UK
forum will not support UK jobs being transferred to other countries.Hp
invent must look to address cost reduction more pragmatically, rather
than reducing employees as a cost saving strategy. As UK
representatives we request that HP senior management liaise with UK
government and Scottish government ministers, whereby requesting
assistance in respect to possible governmental support, and we would
also recommend that UK government partner with French President Jacques
Chirac in requesting EU commission support (where possible).Looking
forward to the consultation process, the employee representatives will
work with UK management in doing all they can to mitigate the job loses
where feasibly possible;• re-evaluate the proposed outsourcing plans
in order to keep UK HP employees in their Jobs•better use of
internal redeployment processes•improvements in re-skilling
activities of our colleagues•optimization and reduction of
internal processes in order to get more focus on thereal job•give
support to employees in finding alternatives inside or even outside HP
andprovide enough time for redeployment•giving works council
enough time and resources to help employeesOnce all aspect of
mitigation are exhausted, fair and equitable severance packages for
employees will be discussed, possibly utilising early retirement and
voluntary enhanced schemes where possibleThe UK forum would also like
to support the view of the general European Workers Council in asking
the UK management to focus on new markets, products and services in
order to ensure the HP UK growth path and continued employment for HP
UK employees"

Francois H

Oct 9, 2005, 1:31:16 PM10/9/05

"Mushroom" <mush...@nospam.thanks> a écrit dans le message de

OK for the potential of 50 days with the last explaination even it's less
than that for a major part of the compagnies in France.
But your first sentence was pure fiction :