Immigration 1998--good and bad

SGoldstNJ

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
The United States has agreed, unfortunately, to give 150,000 extended
stay visas to illegal Central American immigrants to enhance Honduras's quality
of life in the wake of Hurricane Mitch-never mind reduction of the American
quality of life.

However, on the plus side:

10/19/98 US News-report on the new Mexican border fence-Operation
Gatekeeper at border south of San Diego cuts illegal entry, drug smuggling
dramatically-huge fence (corrugated steel landing mats), increased patrols,
lights, seismic sensors. Illegals have headed east to forbidding Imperial
Valley desert-many die-the Mexican consul has the audacity to complain!. Rep.
Bilbray notes: look at what can be done if we are willing to try. Border
patrol has doubled in size since 1993, and continues to grow-reports abound of
low-caliber border patrol hires due to low pay, though I can't think of
anything better for the bloated Washington bureaucracy to spend our money on.
How about using the military??-can you think of a better example of defending
our borders and quality of life-i.e. self-defense!

12/7/98 US News-immigrant round-up-foreign-born criminals are supposed to
be deported after serving sentences in US jails-but for years large numbers
have gone free on bond, then disappeared. 1996-Congress tightened law, doubled
INS's deportation budget-1997: 169,000 immigrants with criminal histories
deported-3 times the number for 1995. New law obliges INS to detain, deport
legal immigrant convicted of "relatively minor" offenses-which includes drunken
drivers, shoplifters, check bouncers! I'm glad to get rid of immigrants
falling in this category!!

On the negative side--Rohypnol, the date rape drug--Though banned in the
U.S., the drug makes its way here strapped to the bellies of pregnant women and
the legs of migrant farmers who trot across the Mexican border.

Food for thought-

****With hundreds of billions being extracted from tobacco companies, who have
sold a perfectly legal product whose detriments to the using public are well
known, what about suits against "social action" entities and huge employers who
have foisted legal and illegal third-world immigration upon the unwitting,
unwilling, and unacquiescing great mass of the American public? The negative
effects of such immigration run into the hundreds of billions, with countless
individual Americans suffering huge personal damage--violent crime, loss of
job, destruction of communities, etc.
Unlike smoking a cigarette, I get absolutely no choice as to whether a
third-world immigrant comes here to steal my job, drive like a nut on my roads,
attack my sister, bring disease from a far-away land, act wild in my community,
or pollute my environment.
I would urge a lawsuit.

****In addition to overt criminal behavior, also overwhelming is the sheer
quality of life issue. I'd urge pro-immigrant people to drive the Jersey
Turnpike, ride the A train, walk through some marginal NYC neighborhoods, even
go through many NJ communities--all of which are things I do regularly. The
low caliber of immigrants of the past 35 years has ruined the NY metropolitan
area.

****I would rather see market forces drive the cost of raking leaves to $8/hour
for an uneducated poor person, or a high school kid, than to continue to flood
the nation with a demographic atomic bomb. Who are these cheap-labor advocates
to say that inflation will go up if we don't import cheap labor--talk about the
cure being infinitely worse than the disease!!!! I would rather see the Great
Depression re-occur than continue to destroy the nation with third-world
immigrants--that is the worst of all scenarios.

----------Steve Goldstein, New Jersey

David Gleason

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99

SGoldstNJ wrote in message <19990101210732...@ng21.aol.com>...
>Sir, rather than open your mouth and prove yourself unintelligent and
unable to
>discern truth from fiction, and right from wrong, not to mention a
knee-jerk
>bleeding heart liberal, you might want to visit some of the places where
our
>third-world friends have congregated. Every statistic shows that the gap
>between Latin immigrants and the ancestors of today's European hyphenated
>Americans--such as my ancestors-- is the difference between night and day.
I'm
>sorry to let the facts get in the way of your pet theories, but some people
>need a dose of the truth.
>
>"Enrich us all?" You've gotta be kidding me.

My Irish ancestors, who immigrated due to the potato famine and ended up in
the US, were poorly educated farmers who could barely read and write. And
they were typical of the immigrants of their time: poor, hungry and
desperate.

How are they any different from the Latino and Mexican immigrants of today?

John Parker

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Rather than opening your mouth and proving yourself a bigot, perhaps it
would be better to keep your opinions to yourself.

I am sure that somewhere in your ancestral history there was at least one
person who was an immigrant (or perhaps they were already here when
Columbus landed). So why bash immigrants who are now trying to make a life
for themselves? Everyone deserves the chance to bring their unique skills
and gifts to this country and so enrich us all.

SGoldstNJ <sgol...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19990101152504...@ng21.aol.com>...

SGoldstNJ

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
>Rather than opening your mouth and proving yourself a bigot, perhaps it
>would be better to keep your opinions to yourself.
>
>I am sure that somewhere in your ancestral history there was at least one
>person who was an immigrant (or perhaps they were already here when
>Columbus landed). So why bash immigrants who are now trying to make a life
>for themselves? Everyone deserves the chance to bring their unique skills
>and gifts to this country and so enrich us all.

Sir, rather than open your mouth and prove yourself unintelligent and unable to

discern truth from fiction, and right from wrong, not to mention a knee-jerk
bleeding heart liberal, you might want to visit some of the places where our
third-world friends have congregated. Every statistic shows that the gap
between Latin immigrants and the ancestors of today's European hyphenated
Americans--such as my ancestors-- is the difference between night and day. I'm
sorry to let the facts get in the way of your pet theories, but some people
need a dose of the truth.

"Enrich us all?" You've gotta be kidding me.

----Steve Goldstein, New Jersey

ejiwit

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
sir,my heartful sympathy for ur suffering in NJ.moreso my sympathy is
for the narrowness of thoughts.u.s is more than a few streets in NJ
.the superiority complex of ones ancestors moving in here 100 r200
years earlier is childish.travel outside the narrow streets of NJ u
will change ur mind
--
Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

Ed MacNeil

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to SGoldstNJ
Hi Steve,

I am an immigration advocate and disagree with most of the points you made in your
posting but respect your opinion. The free interchange of views, including those
with which I disagree, is a cornerstone of our democracy. I have spent most of
my adult life defending these freedoms and will continue to do so.

There is only one point in your posting that I care to address, the use of the
military in any civil enforcement capacity. This is a really bad idea for the
following reasons:

1. The military is not a law enforcement organization. They have neither the
training or the equipment to undertake such a mission.

2. The military is already significantly over tasked. The various peacekeeping
missions throughout the world have resulted in an unprecedented amount of time
spent deployed. This intense operations tempo is making it very difficult for the
services to recruit and retain the people they need.

3. Time spent on missions other than war have a severe negative impact on the
training needed to fulfill the military's core requirement...to win our country's
wars.

Ed Mac Neil
Ancient Aviator
North Hampton, NH , USA

Margie Rebaza

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Dear Steve For you information my poor immigrant husband came to the United States with a Masters degree in Mass Media Communication and ten years working with United Nations. Unfortunately because of the mentality of the people like you he had to take dishwashing jobs in restuarnats in order to support his family. Many times he had to work two jobs at a time. My stepfather, came over with a degree in Business Administration and had to take jobs in hotels in order to make a living. They are not the exception!!! Many educated immigrants from Latin America, whether illegally or legally, come into this country and encounter the same discrimination. They perform the jobs that your son and their friends do not want to do!! And many work several jobs at a time in order to get ahead. Before you begin to shoot your mouth off!!! Get the facts straight. Sure there are many that do not have an education beyond six grade, but that was because they had to help support their family in their own country. They come here for the same reason that your ancesters came, to create a better future for their family. Yes, there are crinimals in all nationalities, Latin Americans are not the only ones. Look at the amount of crinimals that have come in from Europe!!! Past and today, such as the mafia from Russia. Please do not call me a liberal, because I am not!!! Only that the United States was created by immigrants and is still the country for immigrants. Face it!! That is the reality!!! and May I suggest that if you dont like it, take your family and yourself to a non immigrant country to live. By the way my ancesters were poor uneducated imigrants who came over from Wales. Margie Rebaza SGoldstNJ wrote: > The United States has agreed, unfortunately, to give 150,000 extended > stay visas to illegal Central American immigrants to enhance Honduras's quality > of life in the wake of Hurricane Mitch-never mind reduction of the American > quality of life. > However, on the plus side: > 10/19/98 US News-report on the new Mexican border fence-Operation > Gatekeeper at border south of San Diego cuts illegal entry, drug smuggling > dramatically-huge fence (corrugated steel landing mats), increased patrols, > lights, seismic sensors. Illegals have headed east to forbidding Imperial > Valley desert-many die-the Mexican consul has the audacity to complain!. Rep. > Bilbray notes: look at what can be done if we are willing to try. Border > patrol has doubled in size since 1993, and continues to grow-reports abound of > low-caliber border patrol hires due to low pay, though I can't think of > anything better for the bloated Washington bureaucracy to spend our money on. > How about using the military??-can you think of a better example of defending > our borders and quality of life-i.e. self-defense! > 12/7/98 US News-immigrant round-up-foreign-born criminals are supposed to > be deported after serving sentences in US jails-but for years large numbers > have gone free on bond, then disappeared. 1996-Congress tightened law, doubled > INS's deportation budget-1997: 169,000 immigrants with criminal histories > deported-3 times the number for 1995. New law obliges INS to detain, deport > legal immigrant convicted of "relatively minor" offenses-which includes drunken > drivers, shoplifters, check bouncers! I'm glad to get rid of immigrants > falling in this category!! > On the negative side--Rohypnol, the date rape drug--Though banned in the > U.S., the drug makes its way here strapped to the bellies of pregnant women and > the legs of migrant farmers who trot across the Mexican border. > Food for thought- > ****With hundreds of billions being extracted from tobacco companies, who have > sold a perfectly legal product whose detriments to the using public are well > known, what about suits against "social action" entities and huge employers who > have foisted legal and illegal third-world immigration upon the unwitting, > unwilling, and unacquiescing great mass of the American public? The negative > effects of such immigration run into the hundreds of billions, with countless > individual Americans suffering huge personal damage--violent crime, loss of > job, destruction of communities, etc. > Unlike smoking a cigarette, I get absolutely no choice as to whether a > third-world immigrant comes here to steal my job, drive like a nut on my roads, > attack my sister, bring disease from a far-away land, act wild in my community, > or pollute my environment. > I would urge a lawsuit. > ****In addition to overt criminal behavior, also overwhelming is the sheer > quality of life issue. I'd urge pro-immigrant people to drive the Jersey > Turnpike, ride the A train, walk through some marginal NYC neighborhoods, even > go through many NJ communities--all of which are things I do regularly. The > low caliber of immigrants of the past 35 years has ruined the NY metropolitan > area. > ****I would rather see market forces drive the cost of raking leaves to $8/hour > for an uneducated poor person, or a high school kid, than to continue to flood > the nation with a demographic atomic bomb. Who are these cheap-labor advocates > to say that inflation will go up if we don't import cheap labor--talk about the > cure being infinitely worse than the disease!!!! I would rather see the Great > Depression re-occur than continue to destroy the nation with third-world > immigrants--that is the worst of all scenarios. > ----------Steve Goldstein, New Jersey VPAG0100 Kiss From A Rose [nip]

SGoldstNJ

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99

We cannot allow every single poor person into this country in the hope that
some small number may contribute something. The US is a deeply troubled nation
with a huge underclass--for instance, a news report of today notes there will
soon be 55 million uninsured Americans. The difference between the US of today
and yesteryear is self-evident, in the quality of immigrants, their
adaptability to US life (specifically poor third-world Latins today), the lack
of need for unskilled labor today, the huge crime and social problems among
third-world Latin American immigrants.

Pro-immigration advocates today often have a political agenda--many hated
their parents' bourgeois world, and wish to do whatever they can to destroy it.
They need to get in touch with their inner selves, not play out their Freudian
dramas in a public arena with so much at stake. Many others seek cheap pliable
labor, others wish to form a new demographic world with themselves as the
vanguard of this new proletariat. Of course, bringing in this cheap labor
throws millions of black Americans on the vocational ash heap, and implies they
are not worthy of rehabilitation--which is quite racist.

As for use of the military--I respect the gentleman's opinion, but if the
military is not presently adaptable for the purpose of protecting our borders,
then let's make it so! I have full confidence in our soldiers.

----Steve Goldstein, New Jersey

nospam

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
SGoldstNJ <sgol...@aol.com> wrote:
> The United States has agreed, unfortunately, to give 150,000 extended
> stay visas to illegal Central American immigrants to enhance Honduras's quality
> of life in the wake of Hurricane Mitch-never mind reduction of the American
> quality of life.

You are a horrifyingly stupid person.

Robert Seward

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
: Sir, rather than open your mouth and prove yourself unintelligent and unable to

: discern truth from fiction, and right from wrong, not to mention a knee-jerk
: bleeding heart liberal, you might want to visit some of the places where our
: third-world friends have congregated. Every statistic shows that the gap
: between Latin immigrants and the ancestors of today's European hyphenated
: Americans--such as my ancestors-- is the difference between night and day. I'm
: sorry to let the facts get in the way of your pet theories, but some people
: need a dose of the truth.

: "Enrich us all?" You've gotta be kidding me.

: ----Steve Goldstein, New Jersey

Consider also, Goldstein is probably a Jew, an ethnicity known for being
on the receiving end of racial persecution. One doesn't have to be Anglo
to appreciate the value of controlled immigration.

George Sander

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
You are right. One just needs to have a very short memory.

Michael

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
Your hasband might be good at dishwashing but no good at Mass Media Communications,so that's why he is dishwasher. Margie Rebaza wrote: > Dear Steve > For you information my poor immigrant husband came to the United States with a > Masters degree in Mass Media Communication and ten years working with United > Nations. Unfortunately because of the mentality of the people like you he had to > take dishwashing jobs in restuarnats in order to support his family. Many times he > had to work two jobs at a time. My stepfather, came over with a degree in Business > Administration and had to take jobs in hotels in order to make a living. > They are not the exception!!! Many educated immigrants from Latin America, > whether illegally or legally, come into this country and encounter the same > discrimination. They perform the jobs that your son and their friends do not want > to do!! And many work several jobs at a time in order to get ahead. > Before you begin to shoot your mouth off!!! Get the facts straight. Sure there are > many that do not have an education beyond six grade, but that was because they had > to help support their family in their own country. They come here for the same > reason that your ancesters came, to create a better future for their family. > Yes, there are crinimals in all nationalities, Latin Americans are not the only > ones. Look at the amount of crinimals that have come in from Europe!!! Past and > today, such as the mafia from Russia. > Please do not call me a liberal, because I am not!!! Only that the United States > was created by immigrants and is still the country for immigrants. Face it!! That > is the reality!!! and May I suggest that if you dont like it, take your family and > yourself to a non immigrant country to live. > By the way my ancesters were poor uneducated imigrants who came over from Wales. > Margie Rebaza > SGoldstNJ wrote: > > The United States has agreed, unfortunately, to give 150,000 extended > > stay visas to illegal Central American immigrants to enhance Honduras's quality > > of life in the wake of Hurricane Mitch-never mind reduction of the American > > quality of life. > > However, on the plus side: > > 10/19/98 US News-report on the new Mexican border fence-Operation > > Gatekeeper at border south of San Diego cuts illegal entry, drug smuggling > > dramatically-huge fence (corrugated steel landing mats), increased patrols, > > lights, seismic sensors. Illegals have headed east to forbidding Imperial > > Valley desert-many die-the Mexican consul has the audacity to complain!. Rep. > > Bilbray notes: look at what can be done if we are willing to try. Border > > patrol has doubled in size since 1993, and continues to grow-reports abound of > > low-caliber border patrol hires due to low pay, though I can't think of > > anything better for the bloated Washington bureaucracy to spend our money on. > > How about using the military??-can you think of a better example of defending > > our borders and quality of life-i.e. self-defense! > > 12/7/98 US News-immigrant round-up-foreign-born criminals are supposed to > > be deported after serving sentences in US jails-but for years large numbers > > have gone free on bond, then disappeared. 1996-Congress tightened law, doubled > > INS's deportation budget-1997: 169,000 immigrants with criminal histories > > deported-3 times the number for 1995. New law obliges INS to detain, deport > > legal immigrant convicted of "relatively minor" offenses-which includes drunken > > drivers, shoplifters, check bouncers! I'm glad to get rid of immigrants > > falling in this category!! > > On the negative side--Rohypnol, the date rape drug--Though banned in the > > U.S., the drug makes its way here strapped to the bellies of pregnant women and > > the legs of migrant farmers who trot across the Mexican border. > > Food for thought- > > ****With hundreds of billions being extracted from tobacco companies, who have > > sold a perfectly legal product whose detriments to the using public are well > > known, what about suits against "social action" entities and huge employers who > > have foisted legal and illegal third-world immigration upon the unwitting, > > unwilling, and unacquiescing great mass of the American public? The negative > > effects of such immigration run into the hundreds of billions, with countless > > individual Americans suffering huge personal damage--violent crime, loss of > > job, destruction of communities, etc. > > Unlike smoking a cigarette, I get absolutely no choice as to whether a > > third-world immigrant comes here to steal my job, drive like a nut on my roads, > > attack my sister, bring disease from a far-away land, act wild in my community, > > or pollute my environment. > > I would urge a lawsuit. > > ****In addition to overt criminal behavior, also overwhelming is the sheer > > quality of life issue. I'd urge pro-immigrant people to drive the Jersey > > Turnpike, ride the A train, walk through some marginal NYC neighborhoods, even > > go through many NJ communities--all of which are things I do regularly. The > > low caliber of immigrants of the past 35 years has ruined the NY metropolitan > > area. > > ****I would rather see market forces drive the cost of raking leaves to $8/hour > > for an uneducated poor person, or a high school kid, than to continue to flood > > the nation with a demographic atomic bomb. Who are these cheap-labor advocates > > to say that inflation will go up if we don't import cheap labor--talk about the > > cure being infinitely worse than the disease!!!! I would rather see the Great > > Depression re-occur than continue to destroy the nation with third-world > > immigrants--that is the worst of all scenarios. > > ----------Steve Goldstein, New Jersey > -- > VPAG0100 Kiss From A Rose [nip]

Michael

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
So you are.