dual citizenship which passport to use when?

glee4

May 24, 2007, 2:59:53 AM5/24/07

hi all,

very glad that i got my US passport. now, here's a question: as a dual
citizen (UK and US) what is the best way to travel outside the country?
when leaving and entering the US of course the US passport would be
used, but are there any issues with entering another country on a UK
passport and then returning to the US with only the US passport?

Just curious - this dual nationality thing is new to me :)

Marocco

May 24, 2007, 3:29:53 AM5/24/07

A closely connected question is: do you need to use your US passport in
order to benefit from US consular protection abroad? For example,
suppose you are a dual UK/US citizen and use your British passport to
enter Costa Rica. You have some trouble there and the British Embassy is
unable or unwilling to help. Can you ask the US Embassy for assistance?
The UK's policy is that British missions only help their citizens abroad
if they used a British passport to enter the country (and they are not
citizens of that country). If the US has no such policy then it might
make sense to use a British passport more often when travelling abroad.

ian-mstm

May 24, 2007, 8:24:26 AM5/24/07

You should always use your US passport to enter the US, and your UK
passport to enter the UK. Beyond that, though... there is no restriction
on which you use and when. If it was me though, I'd use the passport
that was less likely to get me into trouble... for example, if I was
going to France, I'd likely use my Canadian passport rather than either
my US or UK passport!

Ian

ian-mstm

May 24, 2007, 8:29:53 AM5/24/07

> A closely connected question is: do you need to use your US passport
> in order to benefit from US consular protection abroad? For example,
> suppose you are a dual UK/US citizen and use your British passport to
> enter Costa Rica. You have some trouble there and the British Embassy
> is unable or unwilling to help. Can you ask the US Embassy for
> assistance? The UK's policy is that British missions only help their
> citizens abroad if they used a British passport to enter the country
> (and they are not citizens of that country). If the US has no such
> policy then it might make sense to use a British passport more often
> when travelling abroad.

An embassy exists to help its own citizens when in a foreign country.
Since all countries do *not* stamp a passport, it's often impossible to
tell which passport was used to enter the country. Regardless, a UK
citizen should always expect help from a UK embassy... and a US citizen
should always expect help from a US embassy. They should *expect*
help... they shouldn't have to ask for permission to receive help.

Ian

olwa...@netcourrier.com

May 24, 2007, 10:45:34 AM5/24/07

Girona40

May 24, 2007, 3:14:21 PM5/24/07

> An embassy exists to help its own citizens when in a foreign
> country. Since all countries do *not* stamp a passport, it's often
> impossible to tell which passport was used to enter the country.
> Regardless, a UK citizen should always expect help from a UK
> embassy... and a US citizen should always expect help from a US
> embassy. They should *expect* help... they shouldn't have to ask for
> permission to receive help.
>
> Ian

I agree that you shouldn'at have to ask for permission to receive help
from a consular abroad. It would be dependent on where you are, as you
stated earlier, as to which country you requested help from.

I would like to mention, however, that they don't always need a stamp in
your passport to prove which passport you used to enter a country. When
I recently booked a flight via. British Airways they asked for my
passport details. When I tried to use my British passport when checking
in on the return leg of my journey they pointed out that my flight was
booked using another passport, a US passport. After explaining that I
was a dual citizen it became apparant that it was simpler to use my
American passport in this situation.

Londoner

May 25, 2007, 5:02:14 AM5/25/07
I thought as a US citizen you are forced to enter the US with your US
passport ( give these immigration officers some break Mate !)
A friend of mine british married to a french lady was told by a british
immigration officer he is required to use his british passport when entering
the UK ( nothing factual or concrete here)
When travelling outside the US/UK well use the passport giving you the least
hassles (no visa , or other stuff foreign gov do to make life of travellers
a misery)

"glee4" <membe...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote in message

Marocco

May 25, 2007, 5:26:55 AM5/25/07

> An embassy exists to help its own citizens when in a foreign
> country. Since all countries do *not* stamp a passport, it's often
> impossible to tell which passport was used to enter the country.
> Regardless, a UK citizen should always expect help from a UK
> embassy... and a US citizen should always expect help from a US
> embassy. They should *expect* help... they shouldn't have to ask for
> permission to receive help.
>
> Ian

I agree, but according to the Foreign Office's website they normally
provide assistance only to British citizens who are travelling on their
British passport. See the FCO's website:

http://tinyurl.com/ypmjeh

"If you are in a country of which you are not a national

You should seek consular assistance from the country on whose passport
you are travelling. If you are a dual national travelling to a third
country on a passport other than your British passport then you should
contact your other nationality’s Embassy for assistance."

sgall...@rogers.com

May 25, 2007, 8:51:55 AM5/25/07
On May 24, 3:29 am, Marocco <member66...@nomx.britishexpats.com>
wrote:

> > hi all,
>
> > very glad that i got my US passport. now, here's a question: as a
> > dual citizen (UK and US) what is the best way to travel outside the
> > country? when leaving and entering the US of course the US passport
> > would be used, but are there any issues with entering another country
> > on a UK passport and then returning to the US with only the US
> > passport?
>
> > Just curious - this dual nationality thing is new to me :)
>
> A closely connected question is: do you need to use your US passport in
> order to benefit from US consular protection abroad? For example,
> suppose you are a dual UK/US citizen and use your British passport to
> enter Costa Rica. You have some trouble there and the British Embassy is
> unable or unwilling to help. Can you ask the US Embassy for assistance?

Yes. The fact that you did not use your US passport to enter is
immaterial to the fact that you are still a US citizen and the US
Embassy is obligated to help you.

> The UK's policy is that British missions only help their citizens abroad
> if they used a British passport to enter the country

Interesting. Is there any place this is documented?

> (and they are not
> citizens of that country).

That part make sense, since they acknowledge that when you're also a
citizen of that country, then trying to assist you would be
interfering with that country's internal affairs.

ian-mstm

May 25, 2007, 8:35:30 AM5/25/07

> I agree, but according to the Foreign Office's website they normally
> provide assistance only to British citizens who are travelling on
> their British passport. See the FCO's website:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ypmjeh
>
> "If you are in a country of which you are not a national
>
> You should seek consular assistance from the country on whose passport
> you are travelling. If you are a dual national travelling to a third
> country on a passport other than your British passport then you should
> contact your other nationality’s Embassy for assistance."

I read the page. I interpret this to mean that they are travelling on a
non-UK passport and so can not demonstrate that they are a British
national. If you have your UK passport with you, even if you entered the
country on a US passport, you can receive assistance from the UK
embassy. I always carry more than just my US passport when I travel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my interpretation is necessarily the
correct one... just that there seems to be some wiggle room with respect
to how the information is interpreted.

Ian

sgall...@rogers.com

May 25, 2007, 12:59:44 PM5/25/07
> I thought as a US citizen you are forced to enter the US with your US
> passport ( give these immigration officers some break Mate !)

Legally, US citizens are required to use a US passport when entering
the US and to have one in their possession when departing the US
(there is no formal immigration control when US citizens depart the
US).

> A friend of mine british married to a french lady was told by a british
> immigration officer he is required to use his british passport when entering
> the UK ( nothing factual or concrete here)

Britain does not absolutely require that British citizen use a British
passport when entering the US. He should use a passport that will
allow him to enter for his intended purpose, however. By that, I mean
if a British citizen also held a US passport, and he was coming to the
UK for a visit less than six months, then he could legally enter the
UK with the US passport, because US citizens are normally admitted for
visits up to six months. If, on the other hand, he was coming to the
UK with the intention of staying longer, or residing there, then he
would need to enter with documents showing that he held such a right
to do so. That would mean using either a British passport, or having
a "Right of Abode" sticker placed into his US passport.

Persons with dual US/other citizenship, on the other hand, do not
legally have the option of entering the US with their non-US
passport. US law states that they must use a US passport. Not that
some people dont get away with it, from time to time.

> When travelling outside the US/UK well use the passport giving you the least
> hassles (no visa , or other stuff foreign gov do to make life of travellers
> a misery)

In this scenario, some people often ask about what will happen when
the US immigration officer doesn't seen any stamps in their US
passport showing that they entered any other country. As a rule US
immigration does not go looking for such stamps, but if they did, such
a person can honestly answer that the reason there are no stamps is
that he used his other passport when travelling to the other
countries.

sgall...@rogers.com

May 26, 2007, 8:12:39 AM5/26/07
On May 25, 12:59 pm, "sgallag...@rogers.com" <sgallag...@rogers.com>
wrote:

> > I thought as a US citizen you are forced to enter the US with your US
> > passport ( give these immigration officers some break Mate !)
>
> Legally, US citizens are required to use a US passport when entering
> the US and to have one in their possession when departing the US
> (there is no formal immigration control when US citizens depart the
> US).
>
> > A friend of mine british married to a french lady was told by a british
> > immigration officer he is required to use his british passport when entering
> > the UK ( nothing factual or concrete here)
>
> Britain does not absolutely require that British citizen use a British
> passport when entering the US.

(Correction)
I meant to say when entering the UK.

questions

May 31, 2007, 11:24:57 PM5/31/07

So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read at
another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he would
have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony but when he
called, he was told something completely different. So, from this I am
assuming that you are allowed to have dual citizenship.

I understand that this is not exactly related to this topic, but I
thought to give it a try and ask a couple of questions:

1) Is there any special paperwork that needs to be completed for dual
citizenship?

2) Does it need to be notated anywhere on the paperwork that you would
like to have dual citizenship?

Thanks.

questions

May 31, 2007, 11:25:34 PM5/31/07

> So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read
> at another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he
> would have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony but when
> he called, he was told something completely different. So, from this I
> am assuming that you are allowed to have dual citizenship.
>
> I understand that this is not exactly related to this topic, but I
> thought to give it a try and ask a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there any special paperwork that needs to be completed for dual
> citizenship?
>
> 2) Does it need to be notated anywhere on the paperwork that you would
> like to have dual citizenship?
>
> Thanks.

So, as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read

leonatlanta

Jun 1, 2007, 12:11:30 AM6/1/07

> So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read
> at another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he
> would have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony but when
> he called, he was told something completely different. So, from this I
> am assuming that you are allowed to have dual citizenship.
>
> I understand that this is not exactly related to this topic, but I
> thought to give it a try and ask a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there any special paperwork that needs to be completed for dual
> citizenship?
>
> 2) Does it need to be notated anywhere on the paperwork that you would
> like to have dual citizenship?
>
> Thanks.

you surrender nothing apart from renouncing your alleigance and loyalty
to the british government and the queen, and family, friends country,
spitritual homeland etc...traitor. (kidding i just got my USC and US
passport.)

Joe Feise (Immigration)

Jun 1, 2007, 2:00:51 AM6/1/07
questions wrote on 05/31/07 20:24:

>> hi all,
>>
>> very glad that i got my US passport. now, here's a question: as a
>> dual citizen (UK and US) what is the best way to travel outside the
>> country? when leaving and entering the US of course the US passport
>> would be used, but are there any issues with entering another country
>> on a UK passport and then returning to the US with only the US
>> passport?
>>
>> Just curious - this dual nationality thing is new to me :)
>
> So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read at
> another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he would
> have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony

That is complete rubbish. A passport is the property of the issuing government,
and no US government person has *any* business confiscating foreign passports.
Period.

> 1) Is there any special paperwork that needs to be completed for dual
> citizenship?

Not in the US. Your other country of citizenship may have specific rules. As an
example, Germany requires a special application to keep German citizenship in
case of acquiring another citizenship.

> 2) Does it need to be notated anywhere on the paperwork that you would
> like to have dual citizenship?

No. If you keep your old citizenship depends solely on that other country's laws.
--
I am not a lawyer.
For reliable advice, consult a competent immigration attorney.

sgall...@rogers.com

Jun 2, 2007, 12:12:02 PM6/2/07
> > So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read
> > at another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he
> > would have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony but when
> > he called, he was told something completely different.

When a person naturalizes in the US he must surrender his green card,
but they do not take a person's passport from them.

> > So, from this I
> > am assuming that you are allowed to have dual citizenship.

US citizens may hold and make use of other citizenships. They must
deal with the US as a US citizen and follow the laws that would apply
to persons who hold US citizenship alone (such as entering the US on a
US passport, not a foreign one).

See http:/www.richw.org/dualcit/

> > I understand that this is not exactly related to this topic, but I
> > thought to give it a try and ask a couple of questions:
>
> > 1) Is there any special paperwork that needs to be completed for dual
> > citizenship?

The US has no special requirement. But your other country of
citizenship may. It is necessary to check with that other country to
be sure.

A person naturalizing in the US may want to check with their original
country before becoming a US citizen. In some cases, the original
country will automatically take away its citizenship if he voluntarily
acquires another one. In other cases, the original country will allow
him to keep his original citizenship, but they do have some paperwork
that he must complete either before and/or after taking US
citizenship. Still, other countries will not take away their
citizenships when a person takes another citizenship.

It is interestng to note that while the US has a statement of
renunciation in its naturalization oath, many countries do not view it
as having any effect under their laws. In those cases, the people
involved continue to hold their original citizenship, in addition to
now also holding US citizenship. Britain is one such country.
British citizens do not lose their original citizenship when they
become US citizens because the US renunciatory statement has no effect
under British law.

> > 2) Does it need to be notated anywhere on the paperwork that you would
> > like to have dual citizenship?

If you mean paperwork from the US, the answer is no. A person ends up
being a dual citizen because the laws of two or more countries
independently confer their citizenship upon him at the same time. It
has nothing to do with requesting to be a dual citizen. Once
naturalized, the US basically views you as a US citizen. The fact
that another country views you as being one of its citizens is
immaterial to them.

sgall...@rogers.com

Jun 2, 2007, 12:20:51 PM6/2/07
On Jun 1, 2:00 am, "Joe Feise (Immigration)" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> questions wrote on 05/31/07 20:24:
>
> >> hi all,
>
> >> very glad that i got my US passport. now, here's a question: as a
> >> dual citizen (UK and US) what is the best way to travel outside the
> >> country? when leaving and entering the US of course the US passport
> >> would be used, but are there any issues with entering another country
> >> on a UK passport and then returning to the US with only the US
> >> passport?
>
> >> Just curious - this dual nationality thing is new to me :)
>
> > So as I have been reading this thread, I am extremely excited. I read at
> > another forum about a gentleman who was told by the BCIS that he would
> > have to surrender his British passport at the ceremony
>
> That is complete rubbish. A passport is the property of the
> issuing government

You're correct in that a passport does not have to be surrendered, and
that the passport belongs to the government that issued it.

> and no US government person has *any* business
> confiscating foreign passports.

It wouldn't necessarily be confiscation if they forwarded the passport
back to the issuing government. Over the years, I've read that some
countries actually do this when naturalizing new citizens.

But, since the US doesn't require a passport to be handed in, it
doesn't really matter.

s_pick...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2007, 1:44:25 PM6/2/07
On 2 Jun, 17:20, "sgallag...@rogers.com" <sgallag...@rogers.com>
wrote:

I knew a British guy who naturalised in the Netherlands. His British
passport was taken away by the Dutch and sent to the British
consulate, who then forwarded it to him. :)

s_pick...@yahoo.com

Jun 2, 2007, 1:57:13 PM6/2/07
On 24 May, 13:24, ian-mstm <member2...@nomx.britishexpats.com> wrote:
> > hi all,
>
> > very glad that i got my US passport. now, here's a question: as a
> > dual citizen (UK and US) what is the best way to travel outside the
> > country? when leaving and entering the US of course the US passport
> > would be used, but are there any issues with entering another country
> > on a UK passport and then returning to the US with only the US
> > passport?
>
> > Just curious - this dual nationality thing is new to me :)
>
> You should always use your US passport to enter the US, and your UK
> passport to enter the UK. Beyond that, though... there is no restriction
> on which you use and when.

There is no requirement for British citizens to use a UK passport to
enter the UK, in fact you can get a Certificate of Entitlement in a
foreign passport to show that you are not subject to UK immigration
control. If you enter on a foreign passport and get restricted leave
to enter, the restriction don't apply if you have the right of abode.

> If it was me though, I'd use the passport
> that was less likely to get me into trouble... for example, if I was
> going to France, I'd likely use my Canadian passport rather than either
> my US or UK passport!
>
> Ian

Actually, a British passport will make your life the easiest, since EU
citizens can only be refused entry on very specific grounds.