Help with Form I-751

lyt...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2007, 12:20:45 AM12/11/07
Hi all,

i am mailing my form soon, it expires in February. My question is:

1) Is it okay if i dont have an affidavit?
2) What is the best way to send this to them? UPS? Priority mail, Fed/
Ex?
3) should i send pictures?

SO far, i wrote a letter to them like this, let me know your thoughts,
and whether i have enough evidence.

Friday, September 21, 2007
USCIS California Service Center
P.O. Box 10751
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0751
Subject: I-751 Joint Petition to remove Conditions on status of XX(A#
XXX)

Dear Sir/Madam,
Please find enclosed an I-751 Joint Petition to remove the conditions
on
my Permanent resident status. I am filing jointly with my husband,
xxxx xxxx
through whom I obtained my conditional status.

The following documents are attached in this order:

1. Application Form
2. Check
3. Welcome Notice (I-797D)
4. Copy of Permanent residence card
5. Copy of Marriage Certificate
6. Copies of 2005/2006 federal and state income tax return
7. Statements of Joint Checking accounts (January 2007-Present)
8. Stastements of Joint Savings
9. Apartment rental deposit agreement
10. Copy of cell phone bill
11. Copy of Electric bill
12. Copies of Water bill
13. Copies of auto insurance letters/declaration
14. Copies of employee beneficiary designation form
15. Copies of joint credit cards
16. Copies of itinerary for travel
a. Trip to Washington DC (June 30, 2006)
b. Trip to Asia (11/15/2006)
c. Trip to Denver (1/26/2007)
d. Trip to Hawaii (10/02/2007)
17. Copy of homemade birthday card
18. Copies of letters sent to us (mr and mrs..)

Please, let us know if you need any further information.

Let me know your thoughts guys!! Thanks very much in advance!

L D Jones

Dec 11, 2007, 8:49:23 PM12/11/07
lyt...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am mailing my form soon, it expires in February. My question is:
>
> 1) Is it okay if i dont have an affidavit?

They are not required. If you believe your collected evidence is weak it
can't hurt to include them

> 2) What is the best way to send this to them? UPS? Priority mail, Fed/
> Ex?

We used US Mail priority

> 3) should i send pictures?

These are not required either but it seems many people include them as well

fann...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 11:50:54 AM12/12/07
Thank you for your reply!

I am in the same situation as the original poster and my case was so
open and shut during the interview that I didn't think the affidavit
was necessary, but I can't risk the petition being held up because of
it. (I just found out that I need to travel in the next couple of
months to visit a relative in Canada who was diagnosed with terminal
liver cancer. It's probably my last chance to see her alive but this
petition might throw a wrench in the whole trip.)

If you don't mind a couple more questions... was your petition
approved without being asked for further evidence? How long did it
take?

Thanks so much!

lyt...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2007, 10:37:29 PM12/12/07
thanks for the reply. I guess i will just send it as it is. SO my next
question is, how long do i have to wait until they approve? i have
heard that they send out a letter to extend the green card, then there
is the biometrics, so when will i know for sure that they have
approved it? thanks for your help.

fann...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2007, 3:43:18 PM12/17/07
On the suggestion of someone who filed the N-400 naturalization papers
on his own, I called the Immigration Customer Service hotline... and
they were actually really helpful!

She did say the affidavits are required - which I'm still not
convinced is true from the way the instructions are worded - but I
guess it can't hurt so I scrambled to put them together.

The other thing she said was, expect this to take 12 months. As soon
as we get the letter to extend the card, we can travel, but the
estimated processing time is a year. I checked https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp
for the processing center I'm submitting to and they're still doing
March 2007 submissions.

Good luck!

J. J. Farrell

Dec 17, 2007, 5:27:48 PM12/17/07
The helpline people often appear very helpful; the problem is that
they're often just plain wrong as well.

I'm sure there are some knowledgeable people there, and I'm sure the
information they give is sometimes correct particularly for
straightforward questions. There have been many cases where they have
given incorrect information which could have caused severe problems.

I don't know how good their advice is in this case.

fann...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2007, 5:20:15 PM12/20/07
They're often wrong?! As dismayed as I am to hear that... I am not
entirely surprised. Sigh.

Thanks JJ!

On Dec 17, 5:27 pm, "J. J. Farrell" <j...@bcs.org.uk> wrote:
> The helpline people often appear very helpful; the problem is that
> they're often just plain wrong as well.
>
> I'm sure there are some knowledgeable people there, and I'm sure the
> information they give is sometimes correct particularly for
> straightforward questions. There have been many cases where they have
> given incorrect information which could have caused severe problems.
>
> I don't know how good their advice is in this case.
>

> fanni...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On the suggestion of someone who filed the N-400 naturalization papers
> > on his own, I called the Immigration Customer Service hotline... and
> > they were actually really helpful!
>
> > She did say the affidavits are required - which I'm still not
> > convinced is true from the way the instructions are worded - but I
> > guess it can't hurt so I scrambled to put them together.
>
> > The other thing she said was, expect this to take 12 months. As soon
> > as we get the letter to extend the card, we can travel, but the

> > estimated processing time is a year. I checkedhttps://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

fann...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2007, 10:22:07 AM12/26/07
Postscript:

I contacted my old lawyer and she confirmed that the information line
is wrong - the affidavits are not required if the rest of your
documents are strong enough.

lyt...@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2007, 12:43:24 PM12/28/07
thanks for your replies. I think this makes more sense. So are my
documentation strong enough? No pictures are okay? thanks for the
inputs.