How much, is enough? (public funds)

GGGG

Aug 21, 2002, 8:07:11 AM8/21/02
Further to an earlier post....

Intending on bringing a wife (to be) to live in the UK, from West Africa...

1) How much is 'enough' in regards to earnings, not resorting to public
funds?

Living in the North England, cost of living is very low, would £15,000ish pa
be considered enough?

2) Accommodation

I share accommodation with one parent at present, in a Local Authority
House, this is purely temporary until she gets here, I pay full Rent and
Council Tax, on behalf of the parent, would it be better if I had my name on
the Lease?

3) Savings, does the amount of savings have an impact (you are not eligible
for any means tested public funds if you have savings above £3,000, and I
have at least double that) on the chance of success?

thanks

GG

S.M.

Aug 21, 2002, 8:52:58 AM8/21/02
GG
1-There is no specified amount, it is at the discretion of the Embassy
official.
- 15k should be ok
2- What you need to show is the lease from the Local Authority, and then
also a letter from your parent stating that you pay the rent, and also that
they don't mind having your fiancé move in with you.
The lease should state that there is room for 3 people at least (this is
because you need to show that you have sufficient accommodation when your
fiancé arrives).
3-Savings definitely has an impact, I would definitely include proof of
these savings.
S.M.

"GGGG" <uyfbu...@sdfisfby.co.uk> wrote in message

Bodza Bodza

Aug 22, 2002, 9:34:44 AM8/22/02
"GGGG" <uyfbu...@sdfisfby.co.uk> wrote:

> Intending on bringing a wife (to be) to live in the UK, from West Africa...
> 1) How much is 'enough' in regards to earnings, not resorting to public
> funds?

So that you can live together with an income "above the level of
income support" or some such. I managed it with a job offer of 12000
GBP in Scotland whose cost of living isn't too different than North of
England.

> Living in the North England, cost of living is very low, would £15,000ish pa
> be considered enough?

I did it with a job offer of 12000GBP.

> 2) Accommodation
>
> I share accommodation with one parent at present, in a Local Authority
> House, this is purely temporary until she gets here, I pay full Rent and
> Council Tax, on behalf of the parent, would it be better if I had my name on
> the Lease?

Get a letter saying it's OK for you and your new wife to share with
him/her as long as you want. I did the same thing as we're currently
sharing house with my parents.

> 3) Savings, does the amount of savings have an impact (you are not eligible
> for any means tested public funds if you have savings above £3,000, and I
> have at least double that) on the chance of success?

I suspect so, since they don't want you to seek recourse to public
funds.
I had about 8,000GBP in savings.

Hope that helps.

Narnia

Aug 22, 2002, 4:53:04 PM8/22/02
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:07:11 +0000 (UTC), GGGG
<uyfbu...@sdfisfby.co.uk> sang with gusto in misc.immigration.misc:

> 1) How much is 'enough' in regards to earnings, not resorting to public
> funds?

There's no set amount. It is decided by the immigration official who
receives the visa application.

> Living in the North England, cost of living is very low, would £15,000ish pa
> be considered enough?

That should be fine.

> 2) Accommodation
>
> I share accommodation with one parent at present, in a Local Authority
> House,

Is that a house owned by the council? If so, you should obtain a letter
from the council stating that she will be allowed to live there.

> this is purely temporary until she gets here, I pay full Rent and
> Council Tax, on behalf of the parent, would it be better if I had my name on
> the Lease?

It would, yes. If you cannot get your name on the lease, the letter from
the council should state that you are currently living there and are
allowed to be. You should also obtain a letter from your parent stating
that that he/she has no problem with your fiance(e) living there.

> 3) Savings, does the amount of savings have an impact (you are not eligible
> for any means tested public funds if you have savings above £3,000, and I
> have at least double that) on the chance of success?

Yes; everything helps. I would include your amount of savings in her
application.

--
=Narnia=
http://www.velvet.net/