work and diabetes

1 view

lin...@oiswa.omen.com.au

Nov 30, 1994, 9:42:58 AM11/30/94

Hi ... I was just wondering how many people out there have problems with
controll when they are working?.

I work full time as a parts interpreter, Its not physicly demanding but
there is a fair bit of mental stress involved.
I find that I get constant highs and have to take a extra injection when
I'm at work.
But if I take a weeks holidays the problems go away... very strange.. maybe
I'll start looking for a part time job :) ..

Cheer's

Lindsay.

//////////////////////////
lind...@garion.it.com.au
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

mcda...@notis.com

Nov 30, 1994, 3:46:44 PM11/30/94

In article <3bi31i$1...@garion.it.com.au>, <lin...@oiswa.omen.com.au>
writes:

> Hi ... I was just wondering how many people out there have problems with
> controll when they are working?.
>
> I work full time as a parts interpreter, Its not physicly demanding but
> there is a fair bit of mental stress involved.
> I find that I get constant highs and have to take a extra injection when
> I'm at work.
> But if I take a weeks holidays the problems go away... very strange..
maybe
> I'll start looking for a part time job :) ..

Stress can wreak havoc with your health in general. I can call myself an
authority on that subject after the last job I was with for four years!
8^) It was very stressful. My asthma worsened a great deal. I was
diagnosed with diabetes. That's why I eventually became involved with
self-hypnosis/visualization/relaxation (whatever you wanna call it), and
also eventually got a *clue* and got out of there! My health is much
better now. So it doesn't seem strange to me at all to hear about your
problem-free holidays! If you value your job and want to stay there, those
holidays, and any other forms of "mental vacations" you can find are a
godsend! Good luck.

Lori.

Speaker-to-Minerals

Dec 1, 1994, 5:50:00 AM12/1/94
In article <3bikof$b...@news.acns.nwu.edu>, mcda...@notis.com writes:
=
=In article <3bi31i$1...@garion.it.com.au>, <lin...@oiswa.omen.com.au>
=
=writes:
=
=>
=> Hi ... I was just wondering how many people out there have problems with
=> controll when they are working?.
=>
=> I work full time as a parts interpreter, Its not physicly demanding but
=> there is a fair bit of mental stress involved.
=> I find that I get constant highs and have to take a extra injection when
=> I'm at work.
=> But if I take a weeks holidays the problems go away... very strange..
=> maybe
=> I'll start looking for a part time job :) ..

Er, could it be that what you're noticing are the long-term effects of a
sedentary job? Exercise apparently tends to reduce your insulin resistance.
Everything you describe is consistent with the hypothesis that you just don't
get much exercise on the job. For anybody to be able to say anything
definitive about what you're talking about, you'll have to give us more
details.

=Stress can wreak havoc with your health in general. I can call myself an
=authority on that subject after the last job I was with for four years!
=8^) It was very stressful. My asthma worsened a great deal. I was
=diagnosed with diabetes. That's why I eventually became involved with
=self-hypnosis/visualization/relaxation (whatever you wanna call it), and
=also eventually got a *clue* and got out of there! My health is much
=better now. So it doesn't seem strange to me at all to hear about your
=problem-free holidays! If you value your job and want to stay there, those
=holidays, and any other forms of "mental vacations" you can find are a
=godsend! Good luck.

It's been my observation that short-term (i.e., less than a day at a time)
stress tends to reduce blood sugar levels, while long-term stress (i.e.,
ongoing for more than a week at a time) tends to raise them. Between less than
a day and more than a week, the results are variable.

I'm sorry, but the pat answer given to the ambiguous question is yet another
example of someone who apparently just understand that not all diabetics are
identical.
I try very hard to say exactly what I mean. I'd appreciate it if you'd
bear that in mind and not try to "interpret" my posts to fit your own
preconceived notions if I'm posting in a serious thread. Remember: If you
throw a strawman into a heated debate, flames are likely to be the result.

MGalliher

Dec 4, 1994, 10:25:16 AM12/4/94
In article <3bi31i$1...@garion.it.com.au>, lin...@oiswa.omen.com.au writes:

I am a relatively new diabetic (type II, 4 years). In September, I started
using the computer to keep track of my daily bg tests, exercise record and
medication record (I am on an oral med). I have been getting an average
for each month. Last week, I went back and looked at the last three
months of readings and noticed that every time the stress levels went up
at work my bg control went bye-bye. I also noted that during that time
(1) I stuck to my prescribed diet, (2) I exercised less, (3) I put in much
longer hours at work with less sleep, and yes, (4) I was stressed out. I
have a strong hunch that 2,3 and 4 are the culprets. This month, one of
the most stressful of the year, I plan to make sure I keep up with the
exercise and get a good night's sleep (even though this might increase 4).
I am hoping that will solve the problem.

mich...@hschli.interstate.net.interstate.net

Dec 4, 1994, 7:17:41 PM12/4/94

In article <3bsn0s$g...@newsbf01.news.aol.com>, <mgal...@aol.com> writes:
> From: mgal...@aol.com (MGalliher)
> Newsgroups: misc.health.diabetes
> Subject: Re: work and diabetes
> Date: 4 Dec 1994 10:25:16 -0500
> Sender: ne...@newsbf01.news.aol.com

I too have discovered the impact of work stress on my diabetes control.

This last summer, my spousal unit and I (and our 3 dogs) went on a driving
vacation to Riusoso NM. There were no phones at the cono that we stayed at for
an entire week, and at the altitude, we didn't get too much exercise, but my
use of Reguslar insulin (pre-meals) went down by 25-30%. Included in this
little exercise, little stress environment was the fact that we always eat
more away from home!!

Amazing how our bodies work (and sometimes don't)

Michelle
Hsc...@interstate.net

Tari M. Birch

Dec 6, 1994, 4:10:47 PM12/6/94
In article <3bk9oo$n...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, lyd...@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU (Speaker-to-Minerals) says:

>In article <3bikof$b...@news.acns.nwu.edu>, mcda...@notis.com writes:
>=
>=In article <3bi31i$1...@garion.it.com.au>, <lin...@oiswa.omen.com.au>
>=
>=writes:
>=
>=>
>=> Hi ... I was just wondering how many people out there have problems with
>=> controll when they are working?.
>=>
>=> I work full time as a parts interpreter, Its not physicly demanding but
>=> there is a fair bit of mental stress involved.
>=> I find that I get constant highs and have to take a extra injection when
>=> I'm at work.
>=> But if I take a weeks holidays the problems go away... very strange..
>=> maybe
>=> I'll start looking for a part time job :) ..
>
>Er, could it be that what you're noticing are the long-term effects of a
>sedentary job? Exercise apparently tends to reduce your insulin resistance.
>Everything you describe is consistent with the hypothesis that you just don't
>get much exercise on the job. For anybody to be able to say anything
>definitive about what you're talking about, you'll have to give us more
>details.

Careful Carl.....we can't assume the poster gets any more exercise on the
weekends and holidays than at any other time...the only mention of
physical activity is that the job is not physically demanding....that doesn't
mean the poster is sedentary. My job isn't physically demanding, but I'm
far from sedentary at work.

Personally...and this is my experiance; stress can raise my bg's considerably.
Usually job related, but not always. Finding means to releive the stress while
in the stressful situation MAY help...deep breathing, take your breaks and
get away from your work and RELAX! It can help the attitude too.

>=Stress can wreak havoc with your health in general. I can call myself an
>=authority on that subject after the last job I was with for four years!
>=8^) It was very stressful. My asthma worsened a great deal. I was
>=diagnosed with diabetes. That's why I eventually became involved with
>=self-hypnosis/visualization/relaxation (whatever you wanna call it), and
>=also eventually got a *clue* and got out of there! My health is much
>=better now. So it doesn't seem strange to me at all to hear about your
>=problem-free holidays! If you value your job and want to stay there, those
>=holidays, and any other forms of "mental vacations" you can find are a
>=godsend! Good luck.
>
>It's been my observation that short-term (i.e., less than a day at a time)
>stress tends to reduce blood sugar levels, while long-term stress (i.e.,
>ongoing for more than a week at a time) tends to raise them. Between less than
>a day and more than a week, the results are variable.
>

>I'm sorry, but the pat answer given to the ambiguous question is yet another
>example of someone who apparently just understand that not all diabetics are
>identical.

No...she mearly shared her experiance...she didn't say this is true for all diabetics.
Once again....you interpret others posts to fit your own preconceived notions...
just like you ask others not to do to you. You can't have it both ways, Carl.

Tari

ntho...@vax.clarku.edu

Dec 10, 1994, 9:25:54 AM12/10/94
I too am interested in these patterns of control variation. Mine
is the reverse. I go to work MWF and stay home TTSS. My sugars
are significantly higher (p.<.001) on home days than on work
days. My blood sugars display a terrible variance (s around 70 !).
I think we would do ourselves and others a favor as diabeteics
if we would begin to collect this variations and see what they
are related to.

John F Davis

Dec 11, 1994, 9:41:35 PM12/11/94

In a previous article, ntho...@vax.clarku.edu () says:

>I too am interested in these patterns of control variation. Mine
>is the reverse. I go to work MWF and stay home TTSS. My sugars
>are significantly higher (p.<.001) on home days than on work

I know that when I am at home I have a greater tendency to "Snack"
and this is of course a no-no. However. what with Compuserve.
Fido net, Internet and picking my daughter up from school.......

(Who has time for snacking?)
--
John F Davis In Delightful Detroit, Mi. aa...@detroit.freenet.org