headlights, was Re: CODE 3 transport

Christophe Dunbar aka Airborne the Fireman

Aug 10, 1993, 9:03:55 AM8/10/93
John,

Headlights on during the day - yes
Wig-wags on during the day - yes

Did I say something different? I thought my comment was about hazard lights?
Oh well, Summer II is almost over... must be almost time for exams (the brain
gets a little soft around this time) <g>

Christophe Dunbar

Christophe Dunbar aka Airborne the Fireman

Aug 10, 1993, 9:06:46 AM8/10/93
Jeff,

My comments on using wig-wags were for emergency response mode, NOT non-
emergency mode. I guess I just didn't catch the question fully... exam
expectation syndrome <g>

Christophe Dunbar

Marc L. Appelbaum

Aug 10, 1993, 3:31:46 PM8/10/93
to mla

Let's end this for once....wig wags are emergency warning devices to
be used in an emergency!

Marc
--
-------------------------------------
Marc L. Appelbaum, m...@pilot.njin.net

Chip Dunham

Aug 10, 1993, 9:01:53 PM8/10/93
Christophe,
You are correct in stating that I'm not looking for any right of way.
You're also correct when you state that I'm not speeding.

You are WRONG in stating that I don't need any additional visability.
My life, my partner's life, AND my patient's life are in MY hands and MY
ability to operate a motor vehicle.

I don't know about you guys in Texas, but in NY we make all attempts
to avoid an accident. I got paid for what I did, so regarless of the
situation, I'm going to be found responsible because I'm a "professional
driver".

Ask yourself again. Should you use the headlights?
Chip

Christophe Dunbar aka Airborne the Fireman

Aug 11, 1993, 12:09:03 PM8/11/93
Chip,

Are you telling me that your drive your car all the time with your headlights
on, even during the day? Since you didn't specify emergency vehicle driving
(this is the non-emergency thing), I have to make this assumption from what
you said... If you HAVE to use the headlights for more visibility, why aren't
you running emergency? Since you aren't going to be rushing through
traffic (which is requesting for right of way, which you said you weren't
asking for) or speeding (which you also said you were not doing), then I
don't see why you NEED to be running with your headlights. Sure, it "offers
more visibility" but by your analyzing your own statements, you are not placing
your vehicle in a hazard situation which is not normally faced by every other
driver on the road, and do you see them all driving with their headlights on
all the time? Does the fact that you carry a patient make a difference?
Perhaps... but I don't see a NEED. The added visibility of headlights
during the day under good visibility (no fog, rain, or not at dusk or sunrise

or no snow or sleet) won't make much of a bit of difference. If the driver
who is making a left turn from a stop-sign into your path when you don't
have a stop sign, that driver, if he is intent on turning and he feels he
can get in front of you, will make that turn whether or not you have your
headlights on.

Is it a NEED? I don't think so... Will it increase your visibility? Sure,
a little, but it won't change the way other traffic interacts with you very
much if at all.

Christophe Dunbar

John S. Kim

Aug 11, 1993, 5:43:46 PM8/11/93
I can not contain it any longer....

HEADLIGHTS: headlights offer you more visibility, whether you are in
an emergency vehicle, or a POV. If you are running an emergency, you
should have lights _and_ sirens going at all times. As part of your
lights you should have your headlights one. At night wig wags are not
a good idea. During the day they are rather effective. Low beam
wig wags at night is not a good idea because you are only seeing half
of the road with half the lighting capacity of your vehicle. Low
beams wig wags during the day, it's up to you.
I use headlights in the ambulance ALL the time. It offers more
visibility. In the day time it decreases you risk of getting into
an accident. Most accidents are caused by people who did not see
the other car coming. If you have your headlights on, it makes you
more visible. Go out and drive, look down a long highway, what cars
can you pick out right away, the ones with their headlights on. Don't
use high beams or driving light, use headlights.

HAZARD LIGHTS: Don't use them for emergency calls. Believe it or not,
people do look at the ambulance signals to see what direction they
are headed. By using your hazard lights, it confuses the people.
I don't know how other rigs work, but our 1990 Ford Type II, when you
have the hazard lights on, and you hit the brakes, the brakes over-
ride the hazards and stop the hazards from blinking. Harzard lights
should be used by disabled vehicles and not as an EV warning light.
Why else do you spend thousands on lights? Just so you can use
standard hazards, dumb I think.

To each their own, these are me thoughts and opinions, they
are thought out and have a shread of common sense, so it can
no way be that of my Institute!

John
ki...@rpi.edu
NYS EMT-D

Chip Dunham

Aug 11, 1993, 4:56:46 PM8/11/93
Christophe,
Accoring to the V&T laws of the State of New York, the "Professional
Driver" is held to a higher standard than the person who misses the stop
sign and blows into you.

Besides, why shouldn't I try to avoid an accident? I have no desire
to be fully immobilizied, do you?

Chip

Jeffrey William Myers

Aug 11, 1993, 9:47:07 PM8/11/93
Chris,

A study (and I'm leafing through my stuff in an attempt to find a source)
performed on either Greyhound busses or UPS vans showed a lower accident
rate for vehicles that used headlights during the day compared with same
type vehicles on same roadway population that didn't use headlights.

As an EV driver, whether or not you are driving hot or cold, you are (at least
in most states) held to a higher standard because you are a "professional"
driver. Your cargo (partner/crew, patient, equipment) is very precious to
someone. Anything you can do to help reduce the potential for having an
accident helps. Most accidents happen during the daytime in clear weather
(56% clear weather, 70% daylight - pg 16&17 of the Ambulance Accident
Prevention Seminar workbook) and at intersections (70% - ibid pg 18). The
headlights allow other drivers to recognize your vehicle as an object in the
roadway earlier than if you were driving without headlights, especially at
intersections where the bright white light catches your peripheral vision area
which is sensitive to changes in light intensity.

Finally, I ask, do you want to be more visible _ONLY_ when running hot,
or would you like to be just as visible all the time you drive. As was
stated earlier, what really catches driver's attention during the day was
not the red colored lights, but the white lights. The decision to run hot or
cold is based upon patient condition, not visibility concerns.

Jeff Myers
NYS AEMT-Intermediate
NYS AAPS Instructor
mye...@rpi.edu

P.S. - After a quick search of my stuff, I could not find a reference to the
study mentioned above. If I do, I will post....

Jonas Nygards

Aug 13, 1993, 5:55:46 PM8/13/93
In Sweden Headlights on at day-time is enforced by law (As well as helmets
on MC:s and seat-belts) and i can tell you by experience that they are usefull
(i e good practise).
Because you will detect "dangerous" cars later if they dont use
headlights, which gives you less time to think/react an plan your actions.
P.S pardon my english and if this respons looks odd it's because i've posted it
via email

Christophe Dunbar aka Airborne the Fireman

Aug 17, 1993, 1:28:05 AM8/17/93
Mark,

"...wig wags are emergency warning devices to be used in an emergency!"

I completely agree with you.

Christophe Dunbar

Henry Troup

Aug 18, 1993, 7:47:40 PM8/18/93
In article <01H1M7JI9...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, CDU...@UNTVAX.BITNET (Christophe Dunbar aka Airborne the Fireman) writes:

|> Are you telling me that your drive your car all the time with your headlights
|> on, even during the day?

I do.

New cars sold in Canada have "daytime running lights" - I don't so it's headlights all the time. Was being taught in Canadian driving schools 10+ years ago. Slogan "daylighters live longer."

--
Henry Troup - H.T...@BNR.CA (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions
"The minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect" - TJ