Bush: Forced Quarantine - SARS

Bill

Apr 4, 2003, 5:17:05 PM4/4/03
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order on Friday
allowing the forced quarantine of patients with a mysterious new illness
that has killed 80 people, as well as patients with other diseases such as
Ebola...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29439-2003Apr4.html

Richard Cavell

Apr 4, 2003, 5:41:39 PM4/4/03
At Melbourne University, students and staff are 'required to undergo
voluntary quarantine'.

"Bill" <bill19...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

danny burstein

Apr 4, 2003, 5:46:11 PM4/4/03
In <DSnja.37$Tb6...@news-server.bigpond.net.au> "Richard Cavell" <richar...@mail.com> writes:

>At Melbourne University, students and staff are 'required to undergo
>voluntary quarantine'.

the white house press release is at:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/04/iraq/20030404-8.html
dan...@panix.com

H. E. Taylor

Apr 4, 2003, 8:39:52 PM4/4/03
In article <b6l070$6eoto$1...@ID-148028.news.dfncis.de>,

It seems rather odd and unlikely to me that the US would have no
quarantine laws on the books already...

<curious>
-het

--
"Thanks to Bush and his war agenda, we've learned that the Tigris runs
through Iraq, and the Hubris runs through the White House."

SARS Info & News: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/glinks.html#SARS
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/

maps...@attbi.com

Apr 4, 2003, 7:32:37 PM4/4/03
"H. E. Taylor" <h...@despam.autobahn.mb.ca> wrote:

> It seems rather odd and unlikely to me that the US would have no
> quarantine laws on the books already...

It does, but they're at the state level. This is a national directive
that covers all the states and territories.

danny burstein

Apr 4, 2003, 7:34:22 PM4/4/03
In <1r8s8vgrdbkdq4o4o...@4ax.com> maps...@attbi.com writes:

And ships at sea....

danny " is London calling? "

Kurt Ullman

Apr 4, 2003, 7:37:47 PM4/4/03
In article <b6l070$6eoto$1...@ID-148028.news.dfncis.de>, "Bill"
<bill19...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order on Friday
>allowing the forced quarantine of patients with a mysterious new illness
>that has killed 80 people, as well as patients with other diseases such as
>Ebola...
Talk about overreaction. Worldwide since November we have fewer total
cases than there were flu deaths in Michigan alone during 2001. It also has a
mortality rate of 3.5% which has fallen since they started keeping track. This
is not even a particularly virulent flu let alone Ebola.

"To summarize: it is a well known fact that those people who most WANT
to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to it. Anyone who is capable
of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
-Doug Adams _The Restaurant at The End of The Universe_

wc

Apr 4, 2003, 9:25:22 PM4/4/03
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order on Friday
> allowing the forced quarantine of patients with a mysterious new illness
> that has killed 80 people, as well as patients with other diseases such as
> Ebola...

In my stupid recollection, plus 40 years as a licensed health
practitioner, it's been my assumption that each state's Public Health
Dept. had this power, as did any physician who recommended it.

What in the hell is this country coming to.

wc

Apr 4, 2003, 9:28:22 PM4/4/03
> It seems rather odd and unlikely to me that the US would have no
>> quarantine laws on the books already...
>

> It does, but they're at the state level. This is a national directive
> that covers all the states and territories

Territories and other protectorates are covered . . . the National
Directive is just one more erosion of YOUR rights, and more domination
by the idiot and his minions.

Steven Tursi

Apr 4, 2003, 11:35:23 PM4/4/03
On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:37:47 GMT, kurtu...@yahoo.com (Kurt Ullman)
wrote:

> Talk about overreaction. Worldwide since November we have fewer total
>cases than there were flu deaths in Michigan alone during 2001. It also has a
>mortality rate of 3.5% which has fallen since they started keeping track. This
>is not even a particularly virulent flu let alone Ebola.

This most certainly is a virulent flu! not in the physical sense, but
in the political sense. People are genuinely afraid of this because
they don't take the time to educate themselves. As a result,
politicians react to people's impression which is fear, not the actual
threat which is slight. After all, it's a lot easier to issue a
blanket quarantine order than it is to change the minds of 250 million
worried Americans, EMS personnel notwithstanding.

Isn't this a great system we've created for ourselves? Relax, it could
be worse..

Wayne Alan Simon

Apr 5, 2003, 2:46:07 AM4/5/03
Wasn't he the state's rights guy who believed in local governments and the
people, and taking away power from Washington. What a liar.

Earle Horton

Apr 5, 2003, 11:16:00 AM4/5/03
"Wayne Alan Simon" <ari...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Wasn't he the state's rights guy who believed in local governments
> and the people, and taking away power from Washington. What a liar.

He's a murderer now too.

Earle

Bob

Apr 5, 2003, 2:59:07 PM4/5/03
On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:39:52 -0800, "H. E. Taylor"
<h...@despam.autobahn.mb.ca> wrote:

>In article <b6l070$6eoto$1...@ID-148028.news.dfncis.de>,
><bill19...@yahoo.com> Bill wrote:
>>
>> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order on Friday
>> allowing the forced quarantine of patients with a mysterious new illness
>> that has killed 80 people, as well as patients with other diseases such as
>> Ebola...
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29439-2003Apr4.html
>>

> It seems rather odd and unlikely to me that the US would have no
> quarantine laws on the books already...

It does. All that was done here was to add SARS to the list. Nothing
really new. (And it doesn't mean they really will quarantine anyone;
it just sets up the authority.)

Whether adding SARS is a good idea can be debated. Given the lack of
info at this point, they are being cautious -- better to over-react
than under-react. I'm not sure I disagree with that. Time will tell.

bob

wc

Apr 5, 2003, 5:46:38 PM4/5/03
Bob wrote:

> It does. All that was done here was to add SARS to the list. Nothing
> really new. (And it doesn't mean they really will quarantine anyone;
> it just sets up the authority.)
>
> Whether adding SARS is a good idea can be debated. Given the lack of
> info at this point, they are being cautious -- better to over-react
> than under-react. I'm not sure I disagree with that. Time will tell.
>
> bob

Apparently, you don't think the Public Health Dept. of the states and
Territories and the Physicians who have authority over them have enough
brains to quarantine SARS victims. Only the great intellectual, that
lop eared Texas idiot would have the sense to do. I see where *you* are
coming from.

Will, crna

Kurt Ullman

Apr 5, 2003, 6:48:52 PM4/5/03

>Apparently, you don't think the Public Health Dept. of the states and
>Territories and the Physicians who have authority over them have enough
>brains to quarantine SARS victims. Only the great intellectual, that
>lop eared Texas idiot would have the sense to do. I see where *you* are
>coming from.

Just out of curiosity, how is that done when a new one comes along?
In most states can the head of the state board of health or someone similar
or does it have to be legislated.
Of course if you actually read the original EO you would probably have
an aneurysm since it was added to many such as anthrax, etc. that could be
quarantined under homeland security measures in case of attack. THAT was what
I found offensive.

Terri

Apr 5, 2003, 7:56:07 PM4/5/03
Kurt Ullman wrote:

> In article <3E8F5CD2...@worldnet.att.net>, w...@att.net wrote:
>
> >Apparently, you don't think the Public Health Dept. of the states and
> >Territories and the Physicians who have authority over them have enough
> >brains to quarantine SARS victims. Only the great intellectual, that
> >lop eared Texas idiot would have the sense to do. I see where *you* are
> >coming from.
> >
> Just out of curiosity, how is that done when a new one comes along?
> In most states can the head of the state board of health or someone similar
> or does it have to be legislated.
> Of course if you actually read the original EO you would probably have
> an aneurysm since it was added to many such as anthrax, etc. that could be
> quarantined under homeland security measures in case of attack. THAT was what
> I found offensive.

Quarantine for anthrax? On what basis since there is no such thing as
person to person transmission of this disease?

Bill

Apr 5, 2003, 9:32:16 PM4/5/03
Some or maybe all (I don't know) states have county "public health
officers" who have certain powers to detain people who are a public health
risk. The titles of these people and what they can and can't do probably
varies from state to state depending on public health laws. Following is a
form to detain a person from one state...

http://www.courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/infectiousdisease/pc110.pdf

"Kurt Ullman" <kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wayne Alan Simon

Apr 7, 2003, 3:53:27 AM4/7/03