OK to patch plaster cracks with sheetrock joint compound?

Pete Brennan

Jun 20, 1994, 7:50:20 PM6/20/94
Have successfully used joint compound on sheetrock over the years,
but am now wondering if it's OK to use it to patch plaster walls
with it, or should a certain kind of plaster-paste be used?

Pete
--
---
pe...@gdstech.grumman.com

Ryan Wilson

Jun 21, 1994, 8:35:18 PM6/21/94
In article <1994Jun20....@gdstech.grumman.com>,
pe...@gdstech.grumman.com (Pete Brennan) wrote:

> Have successfully used joint compound on sheetrock over the years,
> but am now wondering if it's OK to use it to patch plaster walls
> with it, or should a certain kind of plaster-paste be used?

It's worked for us quite well, but make sure you prime it with a good
quality primer. One of those quasi-plastic primers seem to work the best,
I think the brand we used was Zissner or something starting with a Z,
available at Home Cheapo.

But then again, ask me again in a few years once it ages...

Good luck and have fun.

Ryan
Ryan Wilson/Portland, OR | BOYCOTT CLIPPER TECHNOLOGY
ryan_...@kvo.com | CLIPPER = BIG BROTHER

All these opinions, humble or otherwise, are my own.

Archer Gravely

Jun 21, 1994, 3:23:49 PM6/21/94
Joint compound is a finishing material and not good for patching deep
cracks since thick layers take a long time to dry and crack easy. If
you have deep cracks, use paster patching compound to fill all but the
last 1/8 inch. This stuff dries fast and is stronger than joint
compound. After the paster patching compound dries, you can then use
joint compound for the final coat.

-archer gravely
-unc asheville

Keith Lukaszek

Jun 23, 1994, 12:56:55 PM6/23/94
In article 60...@gdstech.grumman.com, pe...@gdstech.grumman.com (Pete Brennan) writes:
:^O___Have successfully used joint compound on sheetrock over the years,
:^O___but am now wondering if it's OK to use it to patch plaster walls
:^O___with it, or should a certain kind of plaster-paste be used?
:^O___

When I refurbished my house, I used patching plaster for all the big cracks and defects but used joint compound for the shallow defects and general surfacing tasks. The key to using patching plaster is to get it to stick well to the old stuff. I used a bonding adhesive made for use with plaster and concrete. Five years later and you can't tell where the patches are.

--
Keith T. Lukaszek
luka...@elec.mid.gmeds.com

NamVetArmy

Aug 8, 1994, 3:56:05 AM8/8/94
In article <ryan_wilson-...@ryan.kvo.com>, ryan_...@kvo.com
(Ryan Wilson) writes:

> Have successfully used joint compound on sheetrock over the years,
> but am now wondering if it's OK to use it to patch plaster walls
> with it, or should a certain kind of plaster-paste be used?

Water based joint compound could cause an unwanted lime reaction with
plaster. If you insist on using this material; 1st remove all loose
material & dust. Wash the area to be patched with vinigar. When dry, prime
the entire an oil / alkyd based primer and then patch with joint compound.
Deep cracks / holes should be filled with plaster patch compound or
plaster and then left shallow. Apply joint compound as a top coat over
these deep repairs. For best results, follow the prep instructions above
even before making plaster repairs with plaster compounds.

namve...@aol.com