Re: How to unshrink all-leather work gloves (deerskin, goatskin, no cowhide)?

Mel Knight

Apr 8, 2011, 8:09:49 PM4/8/11
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:51:28 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:

>> What dry-cleaning solvent can I buy at the hardware store that will
>> clean leather gloves of urushiol?
>
> Tetrachloroethylene, AKA brake cleaner (Brakleen - red can). Unless you
> live in California, of course.

I would have to live in the Republik of Kalifornia!

There are no chlorocarbons on the shelves, I think.

Is there something else I can use (perhaps from the auto parts store or
the hardware store)?

Here, for example, is a picture of all my experiments (all of which
failed)!

http://www.ephotobay.com/image/poison-oak-gloves-shrunk.jpg

Tony Miklos

Apr 8, 2011, 8:32:18 PM4/8/11

Holy crap, you really have a big project going on don't you?

Jon Danniken

Apr 8, 2011, 8:37:12 PM4/8/11
Mel Knight wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 16:51:28 -0700, Jon Danniken wrote:
>
>>> What dry-cleaning solvent can I buy at the hardware store that will
>>> clean leather gloves of urushiol?
>>
>> Tetrachloroethylene, AKA brake cleaner (Brakleen - red can). Unless
>> you live in California, of course.
>
> I would have to live in the Republik of Kalifornia!
>
> There are no chlorocarbons on the shelves, I think.

I wonder if you could get it shipped....

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industries-BRAKLEEN-Cleaner-05089F-C/dp/B0002T8Y48

Jon

The Real Bev

Apr 9, 2011, 10:59:10 PM4/9/11

I've never heard of actually washing work gloves. If I were you I'd use
the cheap leather-palm ones and just throw them away when they wear out
-- and NEVER touch the outside with your fingers. My work gloves get
big holes in the fingers (repairable with duct tape, of course) long
before I'd consider washing them, but I'm not dealing with poison
oak/ivy, either.

I've got some nice goatskin gardening gloves, but they're too good to
use :-) I used to turn them inside out (like the rest of the dirtbags)
and use them for motorcycle gloves.

--
Cheers, Bev
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed

Mel Knight

Apr 10, 2011, 11:19:33 PM4/10/11
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:59:10 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
> I've got some nice goatskin gardening gloves, but they're too good to
> use :-) I used to turn them inside out (like the rest of the dirtbags)
> and use them for motorcycle gloves.

My motorcycle gloves are kangaroo.

What does turning goatskin gloves inside out actually do for you?

I'm curious.

The Real Bev

Apr 15, 2011, 7:16:09 PM4/15/11

Puts the seams on the outside and the smooth side on the indside. What
you don't want in gloves for dirtriding is skin-abrading seams.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's no piece of cake, but it sure beats listening to Ted

Dennis

Apr 15, 2011, 9:11:16 PM4/15/11
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:16:09 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 04/10/11 20:19, Mel Knight wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 19:59:10 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I've got some nice goatskin gardening gloves, but they're too good to
>>> use :-) I used to turn them inside out (like the rest of the dirtbags)
>>> and use them for motorcycle gloves.
>>
>> My motorcycle gloves are kangaroo.
>>
>> What does turning goatskin gloves inside out actually do for you?
>>
>> I'm curious.
>
>Puts the seams on the outside and the smooth side on the indside. What
>you don't want in gloves for dirtriding is skin-abrading seams.

Can you turn turquoise suede go-go boots inside out?

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

The Real Bev

Apr 16, 2011, 1:16:23 AM4/16/11
On 04/15/11 18:11, Dennis wrote:

> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> My motorcycle gloves are kangaroo.
>>>
>>> What does turning goatskin gloves inside out actually do for you?
>>>
>>> I'm curious.
>>
>>Puts the seams on the outside and the smooth side on the indside. What
>>you don't want in gloves for dirtriding is skin-abrading seams.
>
> Can you turn turquoise suede go-go boots inside out?

Wow! My choices in footwear have clearly made quite an impression on you!

To answer your question, no.

Life used to be lots better, didn't it?

--
Cheers, Bev
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system,

John Weiss

Apr 16, 2011, 3:36:36 AM4/16/11
Dennis wrote:

> Can you turn turquoise suede go-go boots inside out?

Sure! Elvis can tell you how!

Jesus Mommywas13

Apr 16, 2011, 9:37:49 AM4/16/11

Then fuck it. Nothing like stretching out an old piece of leather.