Wall Street Journal article (by Kay Hymowitz) and responses

Lenona

Mar 9, 2011, 11:23:10 AM3/9/11
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704409004576146321725889448.html
"Where Have The Good Men Gone?
"Kay S. Hymowitz argues that too many men in their 20s are living in a
new kind of extended adolescence."

And:

http://www.eyedrd.org/2011/02/wsj-letters-to-editor-regarding-to-where-have-the-good-men-gone.html

If a modern, successful woman wishes to know why men are such failures
these days (“Where Have the Good Men Gone?,” Review, Feb. 19), perhaps
she should look in the mirror.

I’m a white male, heterosexual, Christian conservative Republican,
Vietnam veteran, married 38 years with four kids. When I was young, we
were supposed to get busy and stay busy, get part-time jobs, finish
high school and, if qualified, go on to college and beyond. We were
taught that it was our responsibility to take care of our families,
which meant a wife and kids. All that began to change in the 1960s
when women became “liberated” and were given equal access to what had
been a man’s domain. Like it or not, there are only so many jobs to go
around. Given quotas, young men in the workplace no longer had an even
playing field.

There are many other factors contributing to young men being
overgrown post-pubescent losers: a lifetime of leftist, feminist
indoctrination in the schools, a cheapening of the proper meaning of
the male-female relationship and the suspension of the draft.

Miss Kay S. Hymowitz (I hate that phony term “Ms.”) asks nothing
of women, so let me do the job for her: When are women going to accept
their God-given roles of being wives and mothers? Men and women are
different; let’s keep it that way. Feminists may not like my
prescription, but then again, they don’t like men from the get-go.

Andrew J. MacDonald, Fanwood, N.J.

I'm sure not most conservatives are this dense, but WHEN are the rest
of them going to take off the blinders and acknowledge that even if
every woman in the world WANTED to be a housewife, it would make not
the slightest difference in the fact that if a housewife loses her
husband (in any manner), she can't go down to the employment center
and apply for a new one?? Don't men like Andrew care about that?

Lenona.

freeisbest

Mar 9, 2011, 2:15:48 PM3/9/11
On Mar 9, 11:23 am, Lenona <lenona...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870440900457614632172588...

>  "Where Have The Good Men Gone?
> "Kay S. Hymowitz argues that too many men in their 20s are living in a
> new kind of extended adolescence."
>
> And:
>
> http://www.eyedrd.org/2011/02/wsj-letters-to-editor-regarding-to-wher...

They're not going to take the blinders off. Boys like Andrew
don't and won't conceptualize anything much outside themselves and of
course, what women owe them because they're male. He certainly isn't
going to notice that the entire society is set up to infantilize boys
and men; not when women are handy explanations for Everything That's
Wrong.
Andy's just the next step past the 28-year-old adolescents that
Hymowitz was writing about. Instead of living a totally selfish life
as an aging teenager, Andy managed to live a totally selfish life as a
married man with children. (Or not. He seems pretty bitter.)
As for his tagline -"they don't like men from the get-go"? Well,
he doesn't like women much, does he...