Spare parts for a filing cabinet?

Lenona

Aug 12, 2010, 12:37:15 PM8/12/10
I have a wooden filing cabinet with two drawers. All the removable
rods that hold up the hanging files are the same length - about 14
inches. However, over the years, the wood seems to have worn away a
bit around the holes on the right hand side. So now the rods won't
stay up whenever I open or close the drawer. Staples doesn't have
anything to replace them with. I'm guessing even rods that are 1/8 of
an inch longer might be OK - but I'm aiming for 1/4 inch, just so I
can have them trimmed if necessary.

So, where do I look? (No, I don't know the name of the company that
made the cabinet.)

Thanks.

Lenona.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 12, 2010, 1:11:42 PM8/12/10

You don't say where you are, but you might try someplace like this:

http://www.alro.com/

Your local Yellow Pages should have listings under "Steel Distributors
and Warehouses" or similar. The guys at our local Alro are pretty
nice; if you took one of your rods the guys at your distributor might
be willing to match it to what they have.

You'd need a hacksaw to cut the rod stock to length.

Cindy Hamilton

Bill

Aug 12, 2010, 1:46:46 PM8/12/10
"Lenona" wrote in message

Take one of the rods to your local hardware store. Ask. They will have metal
rods the same thickness. Then ask if they can cut them to size. If they
can't, ask if they know someone who can do this for you.

If they don't know, then find a blacksmith or welder in the yellow pages.
They would have the tools to cut metal.

Or if you have a handy neighbor with lots of tools, baked goodies like cake,
cookies, and pies will go a LONG way toward motivating them to do all sorts
of things!

Also if you find a handyman type, you might have then cut maybe 4" x 4"
pieces of wood or plastic or metal to go over the holes where the rods go,
then screw those to the drawer and drill new holes.

Lenona

Aug 12, 2010, 6:22:49 PM8/12/10
On Aug 12, 1:46 pm, "Bill" <billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also if you find a handyman type, you might have then cut maybe 4" x 4"
> pieces of wood or plastic or metal to go over the holes where the rods go,
> then screw those to the drawer and drill new holes.

Or, since I have some heavy-duty paper clips and other odds and ends,
and since we're all familiar with those coat hooks that don't need any
adhesive because they just hang over the top of the door, I'll see if
I can't construct something like that! In which case, I won't need
longer rods.

Thanks again to everyone.

Lenona.

Message has been deleted

Bob F

Aug 13, 2010, 11:16:02 AM8/13/10

I'd probably just fill the worn space in the wood with epoxy putty or some such
repair product.