Zenni Optical

m...@privacy.net

Jan 10, 2010, 6:29:51 PM1/10/10
Been thinking on giving them a try.

I have recent prescription but not a measurement for PD
or whatever it is called.

Advice?

The Real Bev

Jan 10, 2010, 7:05:32 PM1/10/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

Don't they give instructions?

If you live near Yuma you might want to try Algodones Optical just over the
border in Mexico.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

Rod Speed

Jan 10, 2010, 10:26:58 PM1/10/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Advice?

Do you have any glasses you dont use anymore lying around ?

They should be able to use those to work it out.

Jim Prescott

Jan 11, 2010, 2:20:53 PM1/11/10
In article <0nokk5hfs8m2l97iv...@4ax.com>,

<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>I have recent prescription but not a measurement for PD
>or whatever it is called.

Zenni has info on how to measure PD. Try clicking the ? on the entry
form, or looking at the FAQ on prescriptions.

PD is the distance between your pupils. You measure it by holding a
ruler up to your eyes. It is hard to get an accurate measure on
yourself, you need someone else to read the ruler. There is also a
differences between near and far focus, you want the one appropriate
to the glasses you are ordering.
--
Jim Prescott Edmund A. Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
j...@seas.rochester.edu University of Rochester, NY

jeff

Jan 14, 2010, 10:53:13 AM1/14/10

As has been pointed out, it's the difference between pupil centers.

You can do this yourself by holding up a ruler (cm) and centering it on
your pupils. It's more dependent on who can line this up the ruler right.

There's a hand held device the stores use. It's automatic and easy.
What that does is give you a different measure for each eye (which total
the overall PD). Perhaps you can get a reading, I did.

I broke my glasses a while back and found the price for one lens was
huge, so I shopped online. I went here:

http://www.globaleyeglasses.com/

My girlfriend looked at all the frames ,the $20 frames, the $50
frames and up to the $119 frames, and the one she liked best was $3.00.
Probably suits me. I believe the cost for progressive lens (standard
blanks) et all totaled out at $39. It took a couple weeks to get them.
I'm happy although I keep my $3 frames in the case when I'm not wearing
them.

Jeff

Jeff

> Advice?

m...@privacy.net

Jan 14, 2010, 12:02:45 PM1/14/10
jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

> My girlfriend looked at all the frames ,the $20 frames, the $50
>frames and up to the $119 frames, and the one she liked best was $3.00.
>Probably suits me. I believe the cost for progressive lens (standard
>blanks) et all totaled out at $39. It took a couple weeks to get them.
>I'm happy although I keep my $3 frames in the case when I'm not wearing
>them.
>
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff.. and all!

I'm just tired of paying outrageous sums of money for
eyeglasses

Rod Speed

Jan 14, 2010, 12:45:29 PM1/14/10
m...@privacy.net wrote
> jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote

>> My girlfriend looked at all the frames ,the $20 frames, the $50
>> frames and up to the $119 frames, and the one she liked best was
>> $3.00. Probably suits me. I believe the cost for progressive lens
>> (standard blanks) et all totaled out at $39. It took a couple weeks
>> to get them. I'm happy although I keep my $3 frames in the case when
>> I'm not wearing them.

> Thanks Jeff.. and all!

> I'm just tired of paying outrageous sums of money for eyeglasses

Yeah, me too.

I'm surprised some enterprising people havent setup to just
do the PD for those who have the prescription but not the PD.

jeff

Jan 16, 2010, 3:47:19 PM1/16/10

The total is easy. I got mine spot on.

I would think the way to set this up (L/R) is as a transparent rule.
The center of the rule would line up on the center of the nose, perhaps
attached to an old pair of glasses. You could easily photograph this
(set macro) and read the offset from the image review. Dead accurate, I
would think.

I used a transparent ruler when I measured mine (total PD), the split
seems easy, even if it is off it is better than no offset.

Hope this helps someone. It never occurred to me I could try this myself!

Jeff

Rod Speed

Jun 27, 2010, 4:44:22 PM6/27/10
Jim Prescott wrote
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote

>> I have recent prescription but not a measurement for PD or whatever it is called.

> Zenni has info on how to measure PD. Try clicking the ?
> on the entry form, or looking at the FAQ on prescriptions.

> PD is the distance between your pupils.
> You measure it by holding a ruler up to your eyes.
> It is hard to get an accurate measure on yourself,

Yeah, I tried that myself, then found it on one of the older prescriptions.

I was a couple of mm out.

> you need someone else to read the ruler. There is also
> a differences between near and far focus, you want the
> one appropriate to the glasses you are ordering.

Its easy to convert between one and the other, there is a 3 mm difference.

Rod Speed

Jun 27, 2010, 4:48:17 PM6/27/10
jeff wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> m...@privacy.net wrote
>>> jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote

>>> Thanks Jeff.. and all!
>>
>>> I'm just tired of paying outrageous sums of money for eyeglasses
>>
>> Yeah, me too.
>>
>> I'm surprised some enterprising people havent setup to just
>> do the PD for those who have the prescription but not the PD.

> The total is easy. I got mine spot on.

I didnt. I tried it myself and then found the PD on an old prescription, I was out by 2mm

> I would think the way to set this up (L/R) is as a transparent rule.
> The center of the rule would line up on the center of the nose,
> perhaps attached to an old pair of glasses. You could easily
> photograph this (set macro) and read the offset from the image
> review. Dead accurate, I would think.

Havent tried that approach.

> I used a transparent ruler when I measured mine (total PD), the split seems easy, even if it is off it is better
> than no offset.

The form on most online forms only allows the total to be entered.

> Hope this helps someone. It never occurred to me I could try this myself!

I might try it if I remember, since I have a professionally measured PD to compare it with.

Rod Speed

Jun 28, 2010, 5:49:26 AM6/28/10
m...@privacy.net wrote:

> Been thinking on giving them a try.

I've just used optical4less instead, mainly because the total
price of the config I wanted was a little less and optical4less
was more explicit about international shipping and had a better
choice of the type of frame I prefer.

Quite happy with the result I got, they got delivered today.

> I have recent prescription but not a measurement for PD or whatever it is called.

> Advice?

Your previous supplier of glasses will likely be happy to tell you what your PD is.