incandescent/flourescent light bulbs peacefulspirits

peacefulspirits

Jan 8, 2009, 6:20:43 PM1/8/09
Can someone tell me about the overall comparison costing of
incandescent/fluorescent light bulbs taking into account:

Component resources used in each. It seems to me that a fluorescent
light bulb has ten or more times of the world's diminishing mineral
resources in its manufacture.

Cost of proper disposal (just added to the rates?)

Cost of transport of (20 times?) heavier item.

Any health issues?

It's just that I would like a full comparison rather than a
comparative cost of only while it is plugged into the light socket

peacefulspirits

Jan 8, 2009, 6:20:19 PM1/8/09

Don Klipstein

Jan 8, 2009, 8:15:52 PM1/8/09
In <0df8ebe2-c115-49ec...@v5g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
peacefulspirits wrote:

>Can someone tell me about the overall comparison costing of
>incandescent/fluorescent light bulbs taking into account:
>
>Component resources used in each. It seems to me that a fluorescent
>light bulb has ten or more times of the world's diminishing mineral
>resources in its manufacture.

The ballast housing is plastic, but I don't see the world running out of
silicon or raw materials for glass.

>Cost of proper disposal (just added to the rates?)

Check www.lamprecycle.org - probably free. I heard that Home Depot is
now accepting dead CFLs.

>Cost of transport of (20 times?) heavier item.

A CFL weighs maybe 2-3 times as much as an incandescent does.

Most of the time at least, retail prices include transportation and
other costs and profits and taxes on the companies making and hauling
them.

>Any health issues?

They have a trace of mercury and the phosphors are probably not good to
eat. However, they do reduce need to burn coal.

>It's just that I would like a full comparison rather than a
>comparative cost of only while it is plugged into the light socket

I would add the purchase price (often near or under $5 apiece) and the
operating cost.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Rod Speed

Jan 10, 2009, 5:27:35 PM1/10/09
peacefulspirits wrote:

> Can someone tell me about the overall comparison costing
> of incandescent/fluorescent light bulbs taking into account:

Not really feasible to quantify.

> Component resources used in each. It seems to me
> that a fluorescent light bulb has ten or more times of the
> world's diminishing mineral resources in its manufacture.

To some extent, but in practice that is completely swamped
by plastic packaging used for almost everything today.

> Cost of proper disposal (just added to the rates?)

Peanuts basically.

> Cost of transport of (20 times?) heavier item.

They're nothing like 20 times heavier and you
have to factor in their much longer life anyway.

> Any health issues?

Only theoretical ones if you dont break them.

> It's just that I would like a full comparison rather than a
> comparative cost of only while it is plugged into the light socket

Not feasible, as I said.