Seeking Rec for New Vacuum Cleaner

caloo calay

Nov 29, 2009, 7:56:52 PM11/29/09

My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about 10 years.
Motor bearings came apart and the repair man says to junk it. It was
a cheap vac, only about $89, I think, but pretty good, to last this
long.

I can't find new Eureka like it. The Eurekas are are all bagless now,
apparently.

I'm looking for another vac, of any brand, to replace it. One that
has a bag, not these new bagless ones.

Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

Thanks

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply

Nov 29, 2009, 9:40:45 PM11/29/09
caloo calay wrote:

> Any recommendations for a cheap but good vac, with bag ?

If you don't have carpeting and truly want to be frugal, I would suggest
a small shop vacuum. It works great for us.

Message has been deleted

Dave C.

Nov 29, 2009, 11:56:50 AM11/29/09

> Why in the world would you want a vacuum cleaner with a bag? I
> ditched my Eureka a year ago because I hated changing the bag.

Agreed. Bags are terrible. Only advantage I see to them is that you
can get special bags that are supposed to cut down on allergens. They
don't, but they claim to.

My wife has tried several vacuums over the past 10 years including a
Eureka something or other. She finally settled on a Bissell brand
bagless something or other that was specifically advertised to be good
on pet hair. She loves it. The few times I've used it, it seems to be
quite efficient at what it is supposed to do. -Dave

caloo calay

Nov 30, 2009, 10:26:42 AM11/30/09
I was wondering what the attraction was to the bagless models. Seems
very messy to have to dump the dirt and dust into an open container,
with dust flying all over no doubt. The bag holds all the dirt in. Old
bag out and into trash can, new bag in nice and clean. Ahhhh. Just
what I'm used to, maybe.

Bill

Nov 30, 2009, 10:42:28 AM11/30/09
Is it cheaper to buy a new vacuum cleaner every few years or to buy a
quality "commercial grade" vacuum once? (like used at hotels, businesses,
etc.)

Commercial grade vacuums...
http://www.commercialvacuum.com/Commercial-Vacuums_c_32.html

(Or look in yellow pages for Cleaning Equipment and Supplies or Janitorial)

Shawn Hirn

Nov 30, 2009, 7:32:05 PM11/30/09
In article
<cb892b13-6ed4-49fb...@x15g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
caloo calay <user1...@aol.com> wrote:

Its no big deal to empty a bagless vacuum cleaner. What I do is empty my
vacuum cleaner into one of those plastic shopping bags, then seal it,
then throw it away. No mess. No fuss.

frater mus

Dec 1, 2009, 4:29:49 AM12/1/09
caloo calay wrote:

> I was wondering what the attraction was to the bagless models. Seems
> very messy to have to dump the dirt and dust into an open container,

Dear Wife brought home a $$$ dyson bagless. I bristled a bit, but find
it is well-designed and a pleasure to use/empty. Changing bags was, for
me, much less pleasant, slower, and dustier.

One nice thing about this design is the dirt container is clear so you
can see what (and how much) is in there.

--
brother mouse
composed offline and synced later.

Jeff

Dec 2, 2009, 3:06:04 AM12/2/09
Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in news:srhi-358BD5.19320530112009
@adsl-99-136-209-74.dsl.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net:

Then it is not completely "bagless". :)

Bobster

Dec 13, 2009, 6:15:20 AM12/13/09
On 30 Nov, 00:56, caloo calay <user132...@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   My Eureka Bossvacuumhas finally worn out after about 10 years.

Don't get a bagless. I thought after buying an Oreck Excel I could
never find a worse cleaner. Wrong. My wife bought a bagless Vax and
it's crap. After half a house you need to dismantle it and clean 3
filters. There's even a part of it clogged up which needs unscrewing
to get at. Who's gonna do this? And don't think you can leave it coz
if the filters are even slightly dusty the suction switches off and it
simply doesn't work. Cannister never gets more than 25% full as it
stops working way before that.
Utter shite.

Dave C.

Dec 12, 2009, 6:58:29 PM12/12/09

> Don't get a bagless. I thought after buying an Oreck Excel I could
> never find a worse cleaner. Wrong. My wife bought a bagless Vax and
> it's crap. After half a house you need to dismantle it and clean 3
> filters. There's even a part of it clogged up which needs unscrewing
> to get at. Who's gonna do this? And don't think you can leave it coz
> if the filters are even slightly dusty the suction switches off and it
> simply doesn't work. Cannister never gets more than 25% full as it
> stops working way before that.
> Utter shite.

That's the only bagless I've ever heard of that has such a problem. I
know we've used bagless vacs for years and never had to clean a
filter. Oh, I guess some could interpret dumping the dirt cup as
cleaning a filter, as there is a filter in that general area. But I've
never had to empty the dirt cup before the whole house was done.
And I've never seen the thing more than half full. I'm not sure
what would happen if it ever got full, but I doubt it would shut
itself off.

Sounds like someone bought a bagless vac with a major design flaw.
But I'd be shocked if any major brand bagless had the same problem.
-Dave