Banking history note

Mason C

Nov 1, 2009, 8:47:16 PM11/1/09

I have a curious banking history note:

In the 1960's I received a phone call from my local Bank of America
branch. I had an overdraft on my checking account but had money
in a savings account. They asked me to come in and transfer money so
as to avoid the overdraft. It was late in the afternoon. The bank doors were
closed but they let me in to transfer the money.

Amazing what 40-50 years can do to banking / capitalist philosophy !!!!

Mason C

George

Nov 3, 2009, 7:23:13 AM11/3/09

It depends. Everyone loves to bend over for big box mega everything in
response to their advertising that they forget that there are still
small organizations where you can actually look a responsible person in
the face and get real service from a bank that doesn't own politicians
and that didn't have them pick money out of the taxpayers pockets to
bail them out.

I have had great service like you described on a number of occasions
from a locally owned bank. And none of this is unique but folks seem to
just love mega organizations.

tmclone

Nov 3, 2009, 9:30:11 AM11/3/09

Umm, my tiny local bank did that for me a few months ago. I had
managed to
deposit a large personal check into my business account and a small
business
check into my personal account. So when there wasn't enough money in
the
personal account to pay an automatically drafted monthly bill they
called me
up and asked me what I wanted to do. I moved money from my business to
my
personal account using online banking while I was on the phone and the
nice
young man was able to confirm payment of the bill as well as the
transfer of
money. Best part? I didn't have to leave the house and I didn't get
charged
a fee. A big bank wouldn't do that, I'm sure, but the local bank has
fantastic customer service.