OT: "Friend Request" on forums?

Bill

Feb 7, 2010, 10:40:36 AM2/7/10
I think this is probably something everybody else knows but me and a dumb
question (Hint: I am a bit older). Anyway...

On web site discussion forums, every once and awhile I get a "Friend
Request" from someone I have never talked with. (These forums have to do
with finance, home improvement, technical advice, etc. Nothing to do with
anything personal.)

When I get a "Friend Request", I have the option of "allowing" that person
to be my "friend" or not allowing this...

Then if I select OK, it shows on that person's information page that I am
their "friend".

So what is this exactly?

Am I supposed to write that person a thank you note for requesting this or
something?

Or just click ok (to be friends) and do nothing further?

Why do people ask this? Are they more "cool" or something if they are
associated with certain people?

Feb 7, 2010, 12:14:30 PM2/7/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Umm, if you don't know them why on earth would you "friend" them. Just click
ignore and move on.

spendwize.com

Feb 7, 2010, 1:16:36 PM2/7/10
These requests are mostlikely people wanting you to go onto their sites to
sell you something or to earn money by having you click on a site for
which they get paid. just delete them!
xxxxo
-------------------------------------
h wrote:

Delivered via http://www.spendwize.com http://www.spendwize.com/groups/
Consumer News and Discussions Platform of the Net
misc.consumers.frugal-living - 39161 messages and counting!

Gary Heston

Feb 7, 2010, 2:17:35 PM2/7/10
In article <7t857t...@mid.individual.net>,

Bill <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I think this is probably something everybody else knows but me and a dumb
>question (Hint: I am a bit older). Anyway...

>On web site discussion forums, every once and awhile I get a "Friend
>Request" from someone I have never talked with. (These forums have to do
>with finance, home improvement, technical advice, etc. Nothing to do with
>anything personal.)

[ ... ]

If it's from someone you don't know, delete it. These type of requests
have become a major method of infecting your system with malware (Facebook
is having a lot of problems with this sort of thing).

If you've clicked on any of the "friend" links, I suggest you scan your
system with an anti-malware package.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"It's kind of hard to rally 'round a math class."
Paul "Bear" Bryant

larry

Feb 7, 2010, 2:57:03 PM2/7/10
spendwize.com wrote:
> These requests are mostlikely people wanting you to go onto their sites to
> sell you something or to earn money by having you click on a site for
> which they get paid. just delete them!

It's also a way to verify good email addresses, most addys
used on the net (that are publicly displayed) are made-up.
After your real email address is harvested a few times by
spammers scanning the net and added to cds sold offering
"millions of verified email addresses", you will get a never
ending stream of spam email.

Good luck,

Coffee's For Closers

Feb 7, 2010, 4:24:33 PM2/7/10
In article <7t857t...@mid.individual.net>,
billnoma...@yahoo.com says...

Yes, some people may feel that they can gain pseudo-social status
by pseudo-friendship with certain other online posters.

Also, some people may feel that they can gain pseudo-social
status simply having a large number of pseudo-friends displayed
next to their name.

It is exactly the same way many people view in-person physical
friendship in real life.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Bill

Feb 8, 2010, 9:37:50 AM2/8/10
"Coffee's For Closers" wrote in message
> In article,

I see... It is this "high school" being "popular" nonsense / gang
follow-the-leader and never think on your own outside the group mindset!

Too bad I can't be a real friend to these people and explain what friends in
life really are. And that these so called "friends" will vanish with a
quickness if you lose your good looks, fancy car, big house, impressive job,
or whatever else "qualifies" you to be a "friend"!

I knew one guy who had extremely good looks and lots of "friends". Then he
was in a bad accident and his face was terribly disfigured. Suddenly all
these "friends" disappeared! But nothing changed so far as I was concerned.
He said "You're still my friend?" I said "Of course! Why wouldn't I be?"

So far as I am concerned, explaining these things is not something you do
over the internet or "texting", it is a "sitting across the table at a
coffee shop" for many hours thing. I think in history they called this
"talking"?

FYI - These "friend requests" are not emails. It is a feature of "vbulletin"
internet discussion forums (web sites). Like here...
http://www.totallyfrugal.com/forums/

Rod Speed

Feb 8, 2010, 1:21:29 PM2/8/10

It can be done that way too.

> it is a "sitting across the table at a coffee shop" for many hours thing.

Dinosaur stuff. Its much more convenient to do it in other ways too.

> I think in history they called this "talking"?

Doesnt have to be done that way.

Zee

Feb 9, 2010, 5:01:04 AM2/9/10
On Feb 8, 5:24 am, Coffee's For Closers <Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG>
wrote:
> In article <7t857tFvd...@mid.individual.net>,
> billnomailnosp...@yahoo.com says...
> Get Credit Where Credit Is Duehttp://www.cardreport.com/
> Credit Tools, Reference, and Forum- Hide quoted text -

Spot on.

I think this is more or less the same with Facebook. Sometimes we see
Friend request from Facebook for no apparent reason at all. Maybe
because they're like your pic, like your post or your a friend of a
friend. Social Media is about networking and the more people you have
in your network, the more effective your network is. Like if you want
to show the world you new blog post, then there are more chance that
more people will see it if you post in your Facebook wall.

I hope I'm making sense.