Re: Storage pitfalls

Message has been deleted

Bob F

Jan 28, 2011, 6:04:30 PM1/28/11
mxzyplx wrote:
> Anyone have any tips or info on what pitfalls may lie in renting a
> storage unit for some fairly non-valuable stuff but has sentimental
> value? Anyone with experience in this industry either as a consumer
> or operator that can fill me in? Thanks.

Huge amounts spent storing stuff you will finally throw out.

Message has been deleted

BigDog811

Jan 28, 2011, 11:22:38 PM1/28/11
On Jan 28, 7:15 pm, Vandy Terre <va...@tanglewood-destiny.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 01:12:29 +0000 (UTC), mxzyplx <mxzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Anyone have any tips or info on what pitfalls may lie in renting a
> >storage unit for some fairly non-valuable stuff but has sentimental
> >value? Anyone with experience in this industry either as a consumer
> >or operator that can fill me in? Thanks.
>
> Don't keep what does not have some real value to you.  What you do keep find a
> use for in your home.  If you really need storage space why not purchase a small
> metal shed or a maybe one of the larger wooden ones.  Why pay for someone else's
> mortgage?  If living in an apartment, find more creative methods to store in the
> space available.  Overstuffed furniture tends to have lots of empty space that
> can be used with a little work.

It's really pretty straight forward. I've been renting storage
lockers from a Public Storage facility near my home off and on for
over twenty years. Never had any problems.

a. Make sure you pay your rent on time every month without fail. I
pay in person at least two or three days early. If I'm renting for
more than a month or two, and have the money, I pay the first few
months in advance. Keep your receipts. Don't get into a "the check
is in the mail" situation. You'll lose that one every time.

b. Inspect the unit BEFORE you sign the rental agreement. Look for
evidence of water damage - leaks and/or flooding. If you see any, ask
for another unit or find another facility.

c. Buy a good quality key operated high security pad lock at a
hardware store. Take it with you, and put it on your unit when you
sign the rental agreement, even if you don't plan on moving your stuff
in right away.

d. Make sure the manager has your current address and phone number.
Keep it updated.

e. Keep a detailed inventory of what's stored there.

f. Make sure someone else in your family knows where the locker is,
and where you store the key and inventory. If you have to sign in at
the office to get to the locker you should have at least one other
authorized person listed.

g. Inspect the locker and contents regularly. I check mine when I
pay the rent.

h. The storage facility IS NOT responsible for loss or damage (theft,
fire, flood, etc.) of the stuff you have stored there. There will be
language to that effect in your rental agreement. They may even have
you sign a separate document saying you understand that. If want to
be covered for losses you'll have to add a rider to your home owners/
renters policy. Expect your rates to go up.

i. When you're done with it, make sure the locker is completely empty
on or before the last day of the rental period.

Good luck.

BigDog811

Jan 28, 2011, 11:25:55 PM1/28/11