Does your bedroom need a space heater?

gggg...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2019, 7:00:08 PM2/5/19

Beaver...@live.com

Feb 5, 2019, 10:59:59 PM2/5/19
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 4:00:08 PM UTC-8, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> https://www.tuck.com/best-space-heaters/

it's fucking freezing in here but space heaters scare me

ItsJoan NotJoann

Feb 5, 2019, 11:07:46 PM2/5/19
I hear you.

My house is just under 100 years old and I do have central heating and air with
a vent in the bathroom. However, I have to crank the heat up substantially when
taking a bath. For that little problem I have a ceramic heater with a built-in
kill switch if tilted or knocked over. It is used ONLY when I take a bath in the
winter and unplugged when I'm through with my bath.

Beaver...@live.com

Feb 7, 2019, 12:32:11 AM2/7/19
My main problem is my hands get really cold.

And I work at home on my computer all day.

I did just get a handwarming covered mouse pad but the usb cable isn't quite long enough and it's kind of awkward and sometimes I have to work fast.

Oh well, it was only $7

ItsJoan NotJoann

Feb 7, 2019, 1:10:33 AM2/7/19
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:32:11 PM UTC-6, Beaver...@live.com wrote:

> My main problem is my hands get really cold.
>
> And I work at home on my computer all day.
>
> I did just get a handwarming covered mouse pad but the usb cable isn't quite long enough and it's kind of awkward and sometimes I have to work fast.
>
> Oh well, it was only $7

Try the gloves with the tips of the fingers cut off to allow for dexterity.

Beaver...@live.com

Feb 7, 2019, 1:44:35 AM2/7/19
I already have those.

My hands get really bad.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Feb 7, 2019, 8:58:31 PM2/7/19
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 12:44:35 AM UTC-6, Beaver...@live.com wrote:

> > > My main problem is my hands get really cold.

Do you not have ANY heat in your place?

Beaver...@live.com

Feb 8, 2019, 9:19:11 PM2/8/19
Floor heater, with my bed in the way so it doesn't heat my room very well.

I used it once this year when I was having company and it just didn't heat my room too well.

This morning was brutal. Oddly enough walking around clears it up a bit as well as taking a nap. But it's rough as most of the money I make is from 7am to 10am.

Michael Black

Feb 10, 2019, 6:26:27 PM2/10/19
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019, Beaver...@live.com wrote:

>> Do you not have ANY heat in your place?
>
> Floor heater, with my bed in the way so it doesn't heat my room very well.

I have a tiny, and minor wattage ceramic heater, and so long as I close my
bedroom door, it can eventually warm up the room. That's actually when
the furnace isn't working. it would probably take less time to warm
things up if I tried sealing the bedroom door.

You don't get warm by aiming a heater at you, you get warm because the
heater warms up the room. It takes time, but if it's not doing the job,
then maybe you should seal your window up better, and then work on the
door. Small heaters don't work well trying to heat a whole house or
appartment, the place cools down faster than the heater can warm things
up.

I think I paid $30 for this heater, on sale, and I'm glad I bought it. It
took care of my room when the furnace stopped, and it was cold in the
house, and so I'm glad to have it for emergencies, though more likely the
electricity will be out and thus no furnace or heater. But it's valuable
to have, in the fall or spring, I know it's there in case I want to warm
things up a bit without the furnace going on. It's cheaper to heat room
by room than heat the whole place by the central furnace, one advantage of
the people who all switched to electric heating, a heater in each room,
because the lure of cheap electricity convinced them to switch.

Michael

RJH

Feb 12, 2019, 12:27:55 PM2/12/19
On 10/02/2019 23:22, Michael Black wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2019, Beaver...@live.com wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 5:58:31 PM UTC-8, ItsJoan NotJoann
>> wrote:

>>> Do you not have ANY heat in your place?
>>
>> Floor heater, with my bed in the way so it doesn't heat my room very
>> well.
>>
> I have a tiny, and minor wattage ceramic heater, and so long as I close
> my bedroom door, it can eventually warm up the room.  That's actually
> when the furnace isn't working.  it would probably take less time to
> warm things up if I tried sealing the bedroom door.

I have a 250W one of those under my desk - warms my feet just about enough.

> You don't get warm by aiming a heater at you, you get warm because the
> heater warms up the room.  It takes time, but if it's not doing the job,
> then maybe you should seal your window up better, and then work on the
> door.  Small heaters don't work well trying to heat a whole house or
> appartment, the place cools down faster than the heater can warm things up.

I also have a cheap version of one of these:

https://hurst-iw.co.uk/products/warmlite-halogen-heater-1200w-3-bar

Mine's a 3 x 400W version, paid about $20 from Aldi. Basically, what it
lights it heats - very effectively, even with just one 400W 'bulb'. But
it does give out a bright light, and isn't an effective space heater.

In context - I'm lucky enough to have a well insulated large Victorian
house with a 90% efficient 30kW gas boiler feeding water filled
radiators - costs maybe $3/day to keep the house to about 18C. So I only
tend to use the electric heaters when I'm staying in one room, typically
watching TV in the evening (for that, a traditional 1 or 2kW 'bar'
heater - it'll keep the room to 20C easily, even at 1kW).

Electricity is quite expensive in the UK - about 20c per kW/hr. Gas is
one quarter of the price.

--
Cheers, Rob