No Swine Flu Sick Leave For Wal-Mart Slaves! No SURPRISE, Either!

God'sLittleAnus

Nov 9, 2009, 11:33:14 AM11/9/09
"H1N1 exposes weak leave policies"

"Bill calls for paid time off Some firms adjusting rules as flu
spreads"

By V. Dion Haynes and Ylan Q. Mui
Monday, November 9, 2009

When Great Falls, Maryland, resident Carolyn Cuppernull's 10-year-old
daughter came down with swine flu, she didn't have to take time off
work to stay home with her.

Cuppernull is senior marketing manager of the Washington office of the
law firm Akerman Senterfitt. Under the group's former policy, she
would have had to use paid leave to stay home if she or a relative got
sick. But the firm recently updated its rules to allow employees to
stay home with full pay -- without using leave time -- for H1N1-
related absences.

"I have a laptop and a BlackBerry," Cuppernull said. "I was able to
attend a meeting telephonically and participate in online training
with hardly a blip."

In Washington and across the country, the arrival of the flu season
has prompted companies of all sizes to weigh how to accommodate sick
workers while keeping the business running. President Obama has
declared the swine flu situation a national emergency, and federal
agencies recommend that businesses remain flexible and let sick
workers stay home.

Congress has also weighed in with a proposal that would mandate
employers to offer paid sick leave. Under a bill introduced last week
by members of the House Education and Labor Committee, employers with
15 or more workers would be required to provide five paid sick days
per year for workers sent home with contagious conditions such as the
swine flu.
Sick workers

"Sick workers advised to stay home by their employers shouldn't have
to choose between their livelihood and their coworkers' or customer's
health," Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), chairman of the education and
labor panel, said in a statement. The National Small Business
Association, which has not taken a position on the legislation, has in
the past criticized similar proposals as harmful for business owners.

"The more restrictive the government is in how businesses can develop
their benefits programs, the less flexible business owners can be,"
said Molly Brogan, a spokeswoman for the small-business group. "If
it's paid sick leave, you're paying somebody who's not going to be
there and you have to pay somebody to replace them. That has the
potential to affect the bottom line for a lot of small businesses."

Mike Aitken, director of government affairs for the Society for Human
Resource Management, said that although the legislation attempts to
protect employees, the wording of it could do the opposite. The bill
is triggered by employers who send their sick workers home. Aitken
said he was concerned that employers might get out of providing the
sick days simply by forcing workers to stay on the job.

"The way the bill is crafted, one questions whether they will be able
to achieve" protections for workers, Aitken said. "We think other
approaches should be used."

According to a survey by the group released last week, most human
resource managers said they plan to use their current sick-leave
policies to accommodate swine flu absences. About 20 percent of firms
require a medical statement to clear an employee to return to work.

The Department of Homeland Security has urged employers to establish
contingency plans so that they could continue operating if an outbreak
of the H1N1 influenza occurs among their workers. The federal
government has strongly recommended that businesses force employees
with the flu to stay home and that they adopt flexible sick-day
policies allowing staff to work from home if a family member becomes
infected.

John A. Boardman, executive secretary and treasurer of Unite Here
Local 25, the union representing 5,000 Washington-area hotel workers,
said his members have numerous options if they need to take time off
to care for themselves or a sick relative. He said they could use sick
days, vacation or short- and long-term disability time.
'Safety net'

"When you have a safety net, you can continue to get income while
you're out, and that's helpful," Boardman said.

Wal-Mart, which employs about 1.4 million people in the United States,
came under fire from labor groups last week for its sick-leave policy.
Full-time workers accrue an average of six sick-leave days per year
but are only allowed to use the time after the first day off because
of illness. The first day can be covered with a personal or vacation
day, or employees will not receive pay. Temporary and part-time
workers do not receive sick time but do get personal and vacation
days.

In addition, Wal-Mart begins reprimanding workers after four absences
of up to three days each over the course of six months. Six absences
can lead to termination.

"The policy is really draconian," said Charles Kernaghan, director of
the National Labor Committee, which last week published a report
detailing the practice. "You drag yourself to work sick, especially
during the swine flu pandemic. This should be a concern."

Last week, Wal-Mart issued a clarification of its policy to its more
than 3,000 stores across the country, stating that no one will be
fired for contracting swine flu or caring for a family member with the
illness.

"Clearly, there's been a misunderstanding about what our policy is,"
said Gisel Ruiz, a senior vice president of Wal-Mart's U.S. stores.
"Wal-Mart is encouraging our associates who may be ill to stay home
and get well. That's in everyone's best interests."

The company said missed work days because of swine flu will not count
as an absence. However, workers will receive pay only if they have
accrued sick leave or personal or vacation days.

According to Gary Laugharn, principal at human resources consulting
firm Hewitt Associates, about 20 percent of national retailers require
employees to have been sick for up to a week before leave benefits
kick in. He said many of the companies he works with have tried to
combat the H1N1 virus by providing plenty of hand sanitizer in the
stores and encouraging sick workers not to come in.

But for the roughly 50 million workers who do not receive sick time,
the options are more stark: work or don't get paid.

Leah Daniels, who sells pots, pans and other cookware from her Capitol
Hill store called Hill's Kitchen, said her one full-time and three
part-time workers do not receive sick days and would simply have to
miss a day of pay if they were to take time off to recover from the
flu. "I don't have a contingency plan," Daniels said. "There is no way
for someone to work from home."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/08/AR2009110818009.html

Jennifer Fitzgerald

Nov 9, 2009, 4:57:06 PM11/9/09
We at Wal-Mart are in reality providing our employees the opportunity
to work overtime. More hours. And we don't subscribe to all the
Swine Flu propaganda. It's all a fabrication to put money in the
pockets of Big Pharma."

-- Jennifer Fitzgerald

Dave C.

Nov 9, 2009, 12:23:11 PM11/9/09

> In addition, Wal-Mart begins reprimanding workers after four absences
> of up to three days each over the course of six months. Six absences
> can lead to termination.
>
> "The policy is really draconian," said Charles Kernaghan, director of
> the National Labor Committee, which last week published a report
> detailing the practice. "You drag yourself to work sick, especially
> during the swine flu pandemic. This should be a concern."
>
> Last week, Wal-Mart issued a clarification of its policy to its more
> than 3,000 stores across the country, stating that no one will be
> fired for contracting swine flu or caring for a family member with the
> illness.

How big of them.

> "Clearly, there's been a misunderstanding about what our policy is,"
> said Gisel Ruiz, a senior vice president of Wal-Mart's U.S. stores.
> "Wal-Mart is encouraging our associates who may be ill to stay home
> and get well.

By shorting their paycheck and threatening to fire them. Yeah, that's
really encouraging.

> That's in everyone's best interests."

So make it happen, don't point a gun at your employees' heads and tell
them to get their ass to work to spread the swine flu.

> The company said missed work days because of swine flu will not count
> as an absence.

So is this policy going to be something enforced weeks after the
employee is fired? Or is Wal-Mart going to pay for the tests to
differentiate between normal flu and swine flu, putting the employee
on paid administrative leave for a few weeks waiting for the results? Oh
wait, Wal-Mart is famous for not offering health benefits. I guess the
question is moot.

> However, workers will receive pay only if they have
> accrued sick leave or personal or vacation days.

Great, they can trade one of their few days off for lunch money. -Dave

sr

Nov 10, 2009, 6:17:07 AM11/10/09
It is the employee's choice to work there, if not happy, there are plenty
that will take the job. Plenty of workers without jobs at this time. Stop
the sniveling for G sake!
===
"Dave C." <no...@nohow.never> wrote in message

Lamont Cranston

Nov 10, 2009, 10:20:06 AM11/10/09
sr wrote:
> It is the employee's choice to work there, if not happy,
> there are
> plenty that will take the job. Plenty of workers without
> jobs at
> this time.

...thanks to GOP trickle-down economic policies

Les Cargill

Nov 10, 2009, 9:00:44 PM11/10/09
sr wrote:
> It is the employee's choice to work there, if not happy, there are plenty
> that will take the job. Plenty of workers without jobs at this time. Stop
> the sniveling for G sake!
> ===

But all things being equal, WalMart's cost of labor has declined
dramatically since about 1980. Thing about WalMart is that they
generally pass the savings on to the end customer.

They run this thing on CNBC more than once a week. It's not
bad, lots of info.

--
Les Cargill

sr

Nov 11, 2009, 8:08:01 PM11/11/09

"Lamont Cranston" <Lamont....@FogYourMind.com> wrote in message
=======no connection
I suppose you prefer this economic scope we are knee deep in and sinking

zeez

Nov 11, 2009, 8:17:22 PM11/11/09
But..but this is capitalism! The system that can do no wrong! This
criticism is just more freedom hating commie talk. Those who refuse to
work while having swine flu must hate America!

sr

Nov 12, 2009, 12:51:19 AM11/12/09

"zeez" <blinking...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> But..but this is capitalism! The system that can do no wrong! This
> criticism is just more freedom hating commie talk. Those who refuse to
> work while having swine flu must hate America!
they can stay home, no pay, just like my working history. work without
benefits, but I worked for poor people

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 12, 2009, 3:21:19 AM11/12/09
On Nov 9, 9:23 am, "Dave C." <no...@nohow.never> wrote:
> > In addition, Wal-Mart begins reprimanding workers after four absences
> > of up to three days each over the course of six months. Six absences
> > can lead to termination.

According to this policy, an employee would have to be sick 4 times in
6 months to get reprimanded and 6 times to get fired. Honestly, how
many business are happy to have somebody who calls in sick at least
once a month?

I work in a grocery store, and whilw we can earn about a week per year
(up to a max of 3 weeks) of sick leave, we do not get sick pay from
day one unless we have a full bank of unused sick leave. Otherwise, it
starts on day 3. This is to prevent cases of sun flu and last minute
forgot to request the day off flu. It is hard to cover shifts last
minute, and unlike an office, our work doesn't wait.

Also, we are required to get a doctors note if we miss 3 or more days,
or we cannot return to work.

It seems to me that Walmart's system is nicer than ours, and ours is
pretty reasonable. Most people do not sick more than a few days a
year. Anybody who has been her a year or more will easily have enough
sick leave to cover a week or more absence. Sure, we lose the first 2
days if we have been sick in the last 6 months or so. But that is
reasonable. The alternative is people calling in sick, pretending to
have the flu, just so that they can go to a party or have a free day
off.

BigDog1

Nov 12, 2009, 2:43:45 PM11/12/09
On Nov 12, 1:21 am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"

My wife works at a bank with a nearly identical sick leave policy.
Additionally if someone, even with a full sick leave bank, calls in
sick the work day before or after a paid holiday, they lose that
holiday pay.

Marsha

Nov 12, 2009, 7:20:53 PM11/12/09

Same here. My employer has what's called combined time off. I'm
salaried, so this doesn't apply to me, but if someone calls in sick,
they have to use two CTO days (basically vacation days) before they can
use actual sick time. If you don't have any CTO, then you have to take
those 2 days unpaid. They also track your sick days. Too many Mondays
or Fridays and you get a couple points. Too many points in a 12-month
period and it goes on your record.

Marsha

krw

Nov 12, 2009, 7:31:56 PM11/12/09

Where I used to work there was no such thing as a "sick day". If
you're sick, stay home. We got paid anyway. If one was gone more
than, IIRC, five days one could be required to bring in a doctor's
note showing that you were physically able to return to work. The
medical department may get involved at that point too. I was never
"sick" more than three days (sprained ankle) so never had to bring a
note. Short-term "sick leave" was up to 12 months, with a decision at
that point whether to continue it or go onto long-term disability.
Everyone was treated like an adult and for the most part no one abused
the system. Obviously that won't work everywhere.

Where I work now we get three weeks "leave" a year (and can save up to
two). Use it as you see fit. Not quite as nice.

Dave C.

Nov 12, 2009, 12:03:18 PM11/12/09

> Same here. My employer has what's called combined time off. I'm
> salaried, so this doesn't apply to me, but if someone calls in sick,
> they have to use two CTO days (basically vacation days) before they
> can use actual sick time. If you don't have any CTO, then you have
> to take those 2 days unpaid. They also track your sick days. Too
> many Mondays or Fridays and you get a couple points. Too many points
> in a 12-month period and it goes on your record.
>
> Marsha

So...how do you tell the Flu that it's not convenient to get sick on a
Monday or Friday? -Dave

The Real Bev

Nov 13, 2009, 1:35:02 AM11/13/09
Dave C. wrote:

When I wanted to go skiing on a "sick day" I always chose Tuesday or Wednesday.
I still ended up losing over 700 hours of sick leave when I was laid off
after 12 years. The people who took it whenever they earned it were way
smarter :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 13, 2009, 1:38:51 AM11/13/09

It the idea of a pattern. If you get sick 6 times in one year, and
they are all on Fridays, chances are you weren't really sick. Once
isn't a big deal. For example, I get sick about twice a year. So,
nobody doubts me. They know I must be sick. But we've had people who
are sick 2-4 times per MONTH. Something isn't right. And each time
they are sick, we have to call somebody in for overtime or go without.
That means that everybody else has to work harder without getting
extra pay. Nobody wants to have a coworker who can't show up on a
regular basis.

People who abuse the system have a much different pattern than those
who rarely need the system.

Dave C.

Nov 12, 2009, 1:12:14 PM11/12/09

> >> Same here. My employer has what's called combined time off. I'm
> >> salaried, so this doesn't apply to me, but if someone calls in
> >> sick, they have to use two CTO days (basically vacation days)
> >> before they can use actual sick time. If you don't have any CTO,
> >> then you have to take those 2 days unpaid. They also track your
> >> sick days. Too many Mondays or Fridays and you get a couple
> >> points. Too many points in a 12-month period and it goes on your
> >> record.
> >>
> >> Marsha
> >
> > So...how do you tell the Flu that it's not convenient to get sick
> > on a Monday or Friday? -Dave
>
> When I wanted to go skiing on a "sick day" I always chose Tuesday or
> Wednesday. I still ended up losing over 700 hours of sick leave when
> I was laid off after 12 years. The people who took it whenever they
> earned it were way smarter :-(

Well it's a gamble. It didn't work out in your favor when you got laid
off. But let's look at this from the other side. I got majorly sick
last year. Like, I almost died. When I checked myself into the
hospital, the triage nurse (or whatever you call her) said she'd never
seen vital signs like I had (at the time) in someone who was still
breathing. (ouch!) I was out of work for well over a month. I had a
week of sick time I could use. After that, I luckily had short-term
disability coverage. Unfortunately, short-term disability coverage
didn't even give me 30% of my usual pay. I would have been in much
better shape if I had 700 hours of sick leave to draw on. I had
doctors' notes stating there was no way I was going back to work
anytime soon, so using that much sick time would not have been an
issue. I would have used about 250 hours of sick time, if I'd had it
available. We were basically living off of our savings for a while.

I understand your point where the people who took it whenever they
earned it were way smarter. But what if one of them had gotten sick,
like really sick? -Dave

The Real Bev

Nov 13, 2009, 2:17:57 PM11/13/09
Dave C. wrote:

Short- or long-term disability. I finally signed up for LTD during the first
open-enrollment period without realizing that it was a total waste because by
that time I had so much sick leave accumulated :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Bender: And so I ask you this one question: Have you ever tried simply

Bert Hyman

Nov 13, 2009, 3:13:48 PM11/13/09
In news:hdkbd3$bkp$1...@news.eternal-september.org The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I finally signed up for LTD during the first open-enrollment period
> without realizing that it was a total waste because by that time I had
> so much sick leave accumulated :-(

You have enough sick leave to cover you for the remainder of your life
(or age 65, depending on your policy) if you became sick or injured
today and could no longer work?

Now, that's interesting.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

The Real Bev

Nov 13, 2009, 4:42:24 PM11/13/09
Bert Hyman wrote:

> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I finally signed up for LTD during the first open-enrollment period
>> without realizing that it was a total waste because by that time I had
>> so much sick leave accumulated :-(
>>
> You have enough sick leave to cover you for the remainder of your life
> (or age 65, depending on your policy) if you became sick or injured
> today and could no longer work?

That was in 1990. I've been retired since 1995. SS+Medicare now. Unless I
break some useful body parts I'm good to go :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
"If God had wanted us to use the metric system,

Tony Sivori

Nov 14, 2009, 11:49:34 AM11/14/09
sr wrote:

> "zeez" <blinking...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> But..but this is capitalism! The system that can do no wrong! This
>> criticism is just more freedom hating commie talk. Those who refuse to
>> work while having swine flu must hate America!

> they can stay home, no pay, just like my working history.

It's not that simple. Wal-Mart has an "occurrence based" attendance
policy, similar to where I work. If you miss work due to illness, even
with a valid doctor's statement, you receive a point.

For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals one
half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals one point.
Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home with a sick
child equals one point. A point stays on your record for one year from the
day you get it. Seven points equals fired.

The Wal-Mart policy is not identical to my employer, but is very similar.

--
Tony Sivori

krw

Nov 14, 2009, 1:43:50 PM11/14/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:49:34 -0500, Tony Sivori <TonyS...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>sr wrote:
>
>> "zeez" <blinking...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> But..but this is capitalism! The system that can do no wrong! This
>>> criticism is just more freedom hating commie talk. Those who refuse to
>>> work while having swine flu must hate America!
>
>> they can stay home, no pay, just like my working history.
>
>It's not that simple. Wal-Mart has an "occurrence based" attendance
>policy, similar to where I work. If you miss work due to illness, even
>with a valid doctor's statement, you receive a point.
>
>For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals one
>half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals one point.
>Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home with a sick
>child equals one point. A point stays on your record for one year from the
>day you get it. Seven points equals fired.

If you don't like the policy, work somewhere else. It's spelled out
pretty plainly, evidently.

>The Wal-Mart policy is not identical to my employer, but is very similar.

It's likely that they have such policies because even management can't
be trusted to think.

Tony Sivori

Nov 14, 2009, 2:51:05 PM11/14/09
krw wrote:

> Tony Sivori <TonyS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals one
>>half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals one
>>point. Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home with a
>>sick child equals one point. A point stays on your record for one year
>>from the day you get it. Seven points equals fired.
>
> If you don't like the policy, work somewhere else. It's spelled out
> pretty plainly, evidently.

I'll make my own decisions about where I work, thank you.

You seem to have missed my point, mister corporate apologist. For the
Wal-Mart workers in question, it isn't as simple as "staying home with no
pay".

Sam Walton isn't the saint that his Billions helped him to buy in public
perception manipulation (what a Regular Guy, he wears plaid shirts!).

The real Sam Walton: When confronted with early minimum wage laws, in an
attempt to evade the wage law he broke each Wal-Mart into separate
businesses on paper that each were small enough to be exempt. When that
failed to fool the law, he wrote checks for back pay as required by law.
He delivered them with the message that any one who cashes his or her
check is fired.

Since his death, Wal-Mart has only become more unethical.

> It's likely that they have such policies because even management can't
> be trusted to think.

They have such policies because if anything might cost them a dollar they
are against it, no matter who suffers or how much.

Coffee's For Closers

Nov 14, 2009, 3:29:43 PM11/14/09
In article <c294f36e-bbf6-4a46-b37f-
9b40a6...@k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, bigd...@gmail.com
says...
> On Nov 12, 1:21=A0am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"

> > It seems to me that Walmart's system is nicer than ours, and ours is
> > pretty reasonable. Most people do not sick more than a few days a
> > year. Anybody who has been her a year or more will easily have enough
> > sick leave to cover a week or more absence. Sure, we lose the first 2
> > days if we have been sick in the last 6 months or so. But that is
> > reasonable. The alternative is people calling in sick, pretending to
> > have the flu, just so that they can go to a party or have a free day
> > off.

> My wife works at a bank with a nearly identical sick leave policy.
> Additionally if someone, even with a full sick leave bank, calls in
> sick the work day before or after a paid holiday, they lose that
> holiday pay.

The implication there is that, the employee may be lying about
being sick, and just wants to extend the three-day weekend.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Coffee's For Closers

Nov 14, 2009, 3:32:45 PM11/14/09
In article <20091113010318...@nohow.never>,
no...@nohow.never says...

> > Same here. My employer has what's called combined time off. I'm
> > salaried, so this doesn't apply to me, but if someone calls in sick,
> > they have to use two CTO days (basically vacation days) before they
> > can use actual sick time. If you don't have any CTO, then you have
> > to take those 2 days unpaid. They also track your sick days. Too
> > many Mondays or Fridays and you get a couple points. Too many points
> > in a 12-month period and it goes on your record.

> So...how do you tell the Flu that it's not convenient to get sick on a
> Monday or Friday? -Dave

It isn't about getting sick on one Monday per year. It is about
doing it repeatedly. Which suggests that the employee's "sick"
claim relates to recovering from partying over the weekend,
and/or a general attitude problem.

Rick Merrill

Nov 14, 2009, 4:37:45 PM11/14/09

Does Walmart apply the same policies and "points" to their executives as
they do to their line employees?

krw

Nov 14, 2009, 5:32:58 PM11/14/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:51:05 -0500, Tony Sivori <TonyS...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>krw wrote:

>> Tony Sivori <TonyS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals one
>>>half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals one
>>>point. Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home with a
>>>sick child equals one point. A point stays on your record for one year
>>>from the day you get it. Seven points equals fired.
>>
>> If you don't like the policy, work somewhere else. It's spelled out
>> pretty plainly, evidently.
>
>I'll make my own decisions about where I work, thank you.

Then don't whine in my face if you don't like it.

>You seem to have missed my point, mister corporate apologist. For the
>Wal-Mart workers in question, it isn't as simple as "staying home with no
>pay".

I didn't miss any point, shit-for-brains. I simply said that you made
your bed, lie in it. ...or find another.

>Sam Walton isn't the saint that his Billions helped him to buy in public
>perception manipulation (what a Regular Guy, he wears plaid shirts!).

His corporation isn't the evil you leftist loons make it out to be
either.

>The real Sam Walton: When confronted with early minimum wage laws, in an
>attempt to evade the wage law he broke each Wal-Mart into separate
>businesses on paper that each were small enough to be exempt. When that
>failed to fool the law, he wrote checks for back pay as required by law.
>He delivered them with the message that any one who cashes his or her
>check is fired.

Any more red herrings in your bag of tricks, shit-for-brains?

>Since his death, Wal-Mart has only become more unethical.

Yep, I knew you had one.

>> It's likely that they have such policies because even management can't
>> be trusted to think.
>
>They have such policies because if anything might cost them a dollar they
>are against it, no matter who suffers or how much.

I wasn't talking about Walmart, in case you hadn't noticed. If *you*
don't like your employer, find another. It really is that simple.

clams_casino

Nov 14, 2009, 6:39:25 PM11/14/09
Marsha wrote:

> Too many Mondays or Fridays and you get a couple points. Too many
> points in a 12-month period and it goes on your record.
>
> Marsha

Did you know that nearly 20% of all absenteeism is on Mondays & Fridays?

Tony Sivori

Nov 14, 2009, 6:45:37 PM11/14/09
krw wrote:

> Any more red herrings in your bag of tricks, shit-for-brains?

Been nice discussing this topic with you, I stand in awe of your oratory
skill and logical mind.

Tony Sivori

Nov 14, 2009, 6:52:34 PM11/14/09
Rick Merrill wrote:

> Does Walmart apply the same policies and "points" to their executives as
> they do to their line employees?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

The management where I work is not subject to the occurrence based
attendance policy.

krw

Nov 14, 2009, 9:35:58 PM11/14/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:45:37 -0500, Tony Sivori <TonyS...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>krw wrote:

>> Any more red herrings in your bag of tricks, shit-for-brains?
>
>Been nice discussing this topic with you, I stand in awe of your oratory
>skill and logical mind.

I calls 'em as the are, shit-for-brains.

Nov 14, 2009, 9:55:50 PM11/14/09

"Tony Sivori" <TonyS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> krw wrote:
>>
>> Any more red herrings in your bag of tricks, shit-for-brains?
>
> Been nice discussing this topic with you, I stand in awe of your oratory
> skill and logical mind.

Just killfile that loon like the rest of us already have.

tmclone

Nov 14, 2009, 10:11:42 PM11/14/09
On Nov 14, 3:29 pm, Coffee's For Closers <Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-
IN.SIG> wrote:
> In article <c294f36e-bbf6-4a46-b37f-
> 9b40a6fe6...@k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>, bigdog...@gmail.com

> says...
>
> > On Nov 12, 1:21=A0am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"
> > > It seems to me that Walmart's system is nicer than ours, and ours is
> > > pretty reasonable. Most people do not sick more than a few days a
> > > year. Anybody who has been her a year or more will easily have enough
> > > sick leave to cover a week or more absence. Sure, we lose the first 2
> > > days if we have been sick in the last 6 months or so. But that is
> > > reasonable. The alternative is people calling in sick, pretending to
> > > have the flu, just so that they can go to a party or have a free day
> > > off.
> > My wife works at a bank with a nearly identical sick leave policy.
> > Additionally if someone, even with a full sick leave bank, calls in
> > sick the work day before or after a paid holiday, they lose that
> > holiday pay.
>
> The implication there is that, the employee may be lying about
> being sick, and just wants to extend the three-day weekend.

I had that problem years ago when I worked for a bank which provided
UNLIMITED sick time, EXCEPT on Mondays/Fridays, and any days prior or
following a legal holiday. I scheduled surgery on Thursday November 10
(we
had Friday the 11th (Veteran's Day) as a holiday) so that I could
recuperate
all weekend ON MY OWN TIME and not have to take sick leave. I was told
by HR
that even though I was scheduling it 8 WEEKS in advance, and obviously
could
get a doctor's note, the day would be considered "not paid" and I
would be
docked. So...I scheduled my surgery for Monday, and took Tues, Wed,
Thurs,
as sick days. They had a rule that the only way to not be docked for
"adjacent to holiday sick days" was to be sick (doctor's note) for at
least
2 days prior to the holiday. SO...bottom line was that they had to pay
me
for 4 sick days when they would have had to only pay for 1 if they'd
used
their brains. Corporate idiots. How much do I NOT miss working in a
cube
farm no matter how crappy the economy? :)

Dave C.

Nov 14, 2009, 10:41:15 AM11/14/09

> Did you know that nearly 20% of all absenteeism is on Mondays &
> Fridays?

Well considering that's 28% of the work week, I guess absenteeism is
LESS of a problem on Monday and Friday than it is the rest of the
week. -Dave

Dave C.

Nov 14, 2009, 10:57:01 AM11/14/09

> It's not that simple. Wal-Mart has an "occurrence based" attendance
> policy, similar to where I work. If you miss work due to illness, even
> with a valid doctor's statement, you receive a point.

That is fucking nuts. In the age of swine flu, you should be able to
stay home with or without a doctor's statement...with no penalty at all
attached to staying home.

> For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals
> one half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals
> one point. Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home
> with a sick child equals one point. A point stays on your record for
> one year from the day you get it. Seven points equals fired.

I wouldn't have ever gotten through the orientation for your employer.
If they are that anal, I would have probably walked out during the
initial interview. Shit man, I'd be tempted to rack up 7 points in a
week. Or are you in one of those areas with 40% unemployment REPORTED
as 20%? -Dave

Tony Sivori

Nov 15, 2009, 10:57:52 AM11/15/09
h wrote:

Good advice. Done.

Tony Sivori

Nov 15, 2009, 11:18:15 AM11/15/09
Dave C. wrote:

> Tony Sivori wrote:
>> It's not that simple. Wal-Mart has an "occurrence based" attendance
>> policy, similar to where I work. If you miss work due to illness, even
>> with a valid doctor's statement, you receive a point.
>
> That is fucking nuts. In the age of swine flu, you should be able to
> stay home with or without a doctor's statement...with no penalty at all
> attached to staying home.

You're right about that. People do come in sick and contagious, and they
spread it around.

>> For my employer, one minute late or leaving one minute early equals one
>> half of a point. One day missed with doctor's statement equals one
>> point. Refusing mandatory overtime equals one point. Staying home with
>> a sick child equals one point. A point stays on your record for one
>> year from the day you get it. Seven points equals fired.
>
> I wouldn't have ever gotten through the orientation for your employer.
> If they are that anal, I would have probably walked out during the
> initial interview. Shit man, I'd be tempted to rack up 7 points in a
> week. Or are you in one of those areas with 40% unemployment REPORTED
> as 20%? -Dave

Unemployment is about 11% in my area, only a point above the national
average.

Unlike Wal-Mart, my employer pays above the local average. I've been there
five years. Since the economy went sour, they have stepped up the
nastiness.

In better times, I'd have smiled, shook their hand, told them how great it
has been and then walked out. Quite a few have done that recently. Given
the current job market, I tend to remind myself that if all goes well,
I'll have financial independence in another ten years.

krw

Nov 15, 2009, 1:09:09 PM11/15/09
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:55:50 -0500, "h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com>
wrote:

You're wrong. I come here to laugh at leftist loons.

Rick Merrill

Nov 15, 2009, 3:50:23 PM11/15/09
Tony Sivori wrote:
> Rick Merrill wrote:
>
>> Does Walmart apply the same policies and "points" to their executives as
>> they do to their line employees?
>
> I don't know, but I doubt it.
>
> The management where I work is not subject to the occurrence based
> attendance policy.

And isn't this the same problem we have with congress? They make
different rules (and different health insurance) to cover themselves!

Gack! It wasn't supposed to work this way: "representatives" were
supposed to be one of the people.

Tony Sivori

Nov 15, 2009, 6:29:43 PM11/15/09
Rick Merrill wrote:

Unsurprisingly, they get the best care that money can buy. At rates that
you or your employer can't touch. And the taxpayer pays most of their
premium.

http://public-healthcare-issues.suite101.com/article.cfm/health_care_for_the_us_congress

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2588181&page=1