Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?

John Doe

Nov 8, 2014, 12:22:29 AM11/8/14
Everybody has personal problems, but please try to stay on topic...

--
"Bob F" <bobnospam gmail.com> wrote in news:m3j0un$887$1 dont-email.me:

> From: "Bob F" <bobnospam gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 09:53:34 -0800
>
> John Doe wrote:
>> Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
>>
>> The closest Wal-mart here does. They have been doing that for about a
>> decade. Seems to me they should post a sign(s) at the entrance with
>> regard to that, but they don't. I'm getting tired of it, planning to
>> go out of my way to avoid Walmart for a while. Even if it means
>> traveling miles across the food desert... I see the sheep lining up
>> at the exit to Walmart in order to get their receipt inspected before
>> they leave. I just can't do that.
>>
>> I suppose one could refuse the inspection. Their only recourse being
>> to disallow your entrance to the store. But that hassle isn't worth
>> it IMO.
>
> There are much better reasons to not give your business to WalMart.

John Doe

Nov 8, 2014, 12:22:44 AM11/8/14

Bob F

Nov 8, 2014, 12:22:58 AM11/8/14
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Doe

Nov 8, 2014, 8:30:31 AM11/8/14
Trolls often post no-archive, like this one...

--
Derald <derald invalid.net> wrote in news:hp1s5al4la1ile5v1soqe3aglpf8464kol 4ax.com:

> From: Derald <derald invalid.net>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 07:07:48 -0500
> Sender: Derald <Derald invalid.net>
>
> John Doe <always.look message.header> wrote:
>
>>Everybody has personal problems, but please try to stay on topic...
> Golly, who'd have thought it possible: An ignorant top-posting
> twit masquerading as "mommy" trawling through ACF-L. I guess AOL _did_
> serve a useful purpose, after all by providing them a home.
> --
> Derald

John Doe

Nov 8, 2014, 8:32:36 AM11/8/14
If you intend to help other people by posting to a group like this,
please do not post no-archive. If you are just a troll, posting
no-archive helps hide your trolling...

--
Derald <derald invalid.net> wrote in news:te3s5ad5g5h70hhjcic1q1veomleile5fg 4ax.com:

> From: Derald <derald invalid.net>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 08:15:30 -0500
> Sender: Derald <Derald invalid.net>
>
> "Bob F" <bobnospam gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>John Doe wrote:
>>> Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
>>>
>>> snip <<
>>> I suppose one could refuse the inspection. Their only recourse being
>>> to disallow your entrance to the store. But that hassle isn't worth
>>> it IMO.
>>
>>There are much better reasons to not give your business to WalMart.
>>
> I agree with you on that one but, unfortunately, in many
> communities it now is impractical, if not impossible for some items, to
> avoid shopping at Wallyworld thanks, in large part, to Wallyworld -- in
> concert with other "big box" stores -- and their brutally predatory
> "competition".
> To OP's point, I had the experience sometime in the late '90's but
> it was because I was leaving the store with an item too large to bag.
> Gratuitous Aside: In 2000, while comparison shopping automobile
> tires, I toured a Sam's Club to determine whether it could ever possibly
> be worth actually _paying_ someone just to shop in his store and there
> witnessed customers dutifully lining up like cattle in a chute so that a
> Sam's minion could compare the contents of their shopping carts to their
> receipts. It didn't seem to matter to any of them that the items being
> "verified" already belonged to _them_!
>
> --
> Derald
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
> -B. Franklin

KenK

Nov 8, 2014, 12:06:40 PM11/8/14
John Doe <alway...@message.header> wrote in
The one I go to used to have someone visually checking carts as they
left, asking for a receipt for un-bagged items. Then a year or two ago
they stopped even doing that. Now there is no one obviously checking at
the exit, except sometimes a greeter (goodbyer?) wishing everyone
leaving a nice day or whatever (and likely still doing that visual
check).

21bla...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2014, 12:22:43 PM11/8/14

they have someone there to "go through the motions"
of inspecting your goods, but
they don't/can't really do a thorough job

i think it's more of a "deterrent"
than really trying to catch shoplifters

in the last few years,
they seem to have cut back on looking at receipts,
but i've seen a few "greeters"

marc

The Real Bev

Nov 9, 2014, 12:35:05 AM11/9/14
On 11/08/2014 05:15 AM, Derald wrote:
> "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>John Doe wrote:
>>> Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
>>>
>>> snip <<
>>> I suppose one could refuse the inspection. Their only recourse being
>>> to disallow your entrance to the store. But that hassle isn't worth
>>> it IMO.
>>
>>There are much better reasons to not give your business to WalMart.
>>
> I agree with you on that one but, unfortunately, in many
> communities it now is impractical, if not impossible for some items, to
> avoid shopping at Wallyworld thanks, in large part, to Wallyworld -- in
> concert with other "big box" stores -- and their brutally predatory
> "competition".

There's stuff I buy at Costco, stuff I buy at Sam's, stuff I buy at
Walmart, Stuff I buy at Smart&Final, Stuff I buy at Trader Joe's, stuff
I buy at the 99-Cents-Only Store, stuff I buy at Ralph's... If Mom+Pop
stores want to survive they'll have to do something that the big box
stores can't, which is unfortunately getting more and more difficult..
I'm really sorry to see them go, but liife goes on.

> To OP's point, I had the experience sometime in the late '90's but
> it was because I was leaving the store with an item too large to bag.
> Gratuitous Aside: In 2000, while comparison shopping automobile
> tires, I toured a Sam's Club to determine whether it could ever possibly
> be worth actually _paying_ someone just to shop in his store and there
> witnessed customers dutifully lining up like cattle in a chute so that a
> Sam's minion could compare the contents of their shopping carts to their
> receipts. It didn't seem to matter to any of them that the items being
> "verified" already belonged to _them_!

They don't actually compare, they just pretend. You agree to it if you
join. The solution is simple if you don't wish to participate in this
form of security theater.

Costco actually used to check, and one of them found something that was
NOT on my receipt, and I was really pissed because the checker missed it.

Costco and Sam's are the same, just slightly different. Costco is
slightly ckeaper. NEITHER of them carries that good Stagg chili any
more, and 'Cattle Drive' sucks badly.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do.

John Doe

Nov 9, 2014, 12:41:00 PM11/9/14
The Real Bev <bashley101 gmail.com> wrote:
> Derald wrote:

>> I had the experience sometime in the late '90's but it was because I
>> was leaving the store with an item too large to bag. Gratuitous
>> Aside: In 2000, while comparison shopping automobile tires, I toured
>> a Sam's Club to determine whether it could ever possibly be worth
>> actually _paying_ someone just to shop in his store and there
>> witnessed customers dutifully lining up like cattle in a chute so
>> that a Sam's minion could compare the contents of their shopping
>> carts to their receipts. It didn't seem to matter to any of them
>> that the items being "verified" already belonged to _them_!
>
> They don't actually compare, they just pretend. You agree to it if
> you join.

Citations please...

Nobody agrees to anything like that at Walmart. And there is no
indication at the store entrance or anywhere in the store that they
will inspect your receipt when you are trying to leave.

> Costco actually used to check, and one of them found something that
> was NOT on my receipt, and I was really pissed because the checker
> missed it.

More likely because that's just the way you are.

> "Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't
> have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor
> plumbing by now." -- Ann Coulter

Ann Coulter also says that women shouldn't have been given the right to
vote.

--

> From: The Real Bev <bashley101 gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:34:55 -0800

Michael Black

Nov 10, 2014, 11:15:27 AM11/10/14
It wasn't that long ago that one opened within a distance I was prepare to
travel. I went in a few times after that store opened, I think I only
bought a box of computer paper (which was a really good price). But the
few times I went in around that time, I found the place fairly messy,
shoppers not putting things back where they belonged, but apparently the
staff not coming along to put it back the right way. It just felt like a
cheap experience, so I generally don't bother. I've been in a few times
this year, other opportunities, but really, the appeal isn't enough to
make it useful to me.

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 10, 2014, 11:18:30 AM11/10/14
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014, John Doe wrote:

> Trolls often post no-archive, like this one...

Except you are crossposting, and have never been to this newsgroup,
misc.consumers.frugal-living, in the past. Or at least, not enough to
have made a dent. Derald has been here for a long time, even if everyone
still reading the newsgroup has mostly tapered off posting. He can hardly
be a troll.

And, why is this, Walmart checking receipts, a frugal issue? You seem to
have found the wrong place, you want misc.consumers which is about
consumer issues like this. Being frugal is about making good decisions.

Michael

John Doe

Nov 10, 2014, 12:05:54 PM11/10/14
Just a troll...

--
Michael Black <et472 ncf.ca> wrote in news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1411101122420.26896 darkstar.example.org:

> From: Michael Black <et472 ncf.ca>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.usenet,free.spirit
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:24:34 -0500
> Sender: et472 bas1-montreal43-1177820253.dsl.bell.ca

John Doe

Nov 10, 2014, 12:06:31 PM11/10/14
Off-topic...

--
Michael Black <et472 ncf.ca> wrote in news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1411101119370.26896 darkstar.example.org:

> From: Michael Black <et472 ncf.ca>
> Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living
> Subject: Re: Does Walmart inspect your receipt when you are leaving the store?
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:21:31 -0500
> Sender: et472 bas1-montreal43-1177820253.dsl.bell.ca

Dennis

Nov 12, 2014, 2:48:44 PM11/12/14
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:21:31 -0500, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca>
wrote:

>> There are much better reasons to not give your business to WalMart.
>>
>It wasn't that long ago that one opened within a distance I was prepare to
>travel. I went in a few times after that store opened, I think I only
>bought a box of computer paper (which was a really good price). But the
>few times I went in around that time, I found the place fairly messy,
>shoppers not putting things back where they belonged, but apparently the
>staff not coming along to put it back the right way. It just felt like a
>cheap experience, so I generally don't bother. I've been in a few times
>this year, other opportunities, but really, the appeal isn't enough to
>make it useful to me.

Aren't you the guy who likes to pick stuff out of curbside trash? Just
sayin'...

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Michael Black

Nov 12, 2014, 3:10:17 PM11/12/14
I don't generally dig in the bags of garbage, usually there plenty of neat
things just placed on the sidewalk for the garbage pickup.

That said, maybe the difference is that if I"m paying for it, I expect a
level of neatness? Or maybe it was that I couldn't find what I was
looking for among the mess?

One Big Chain book store closed here (they actually have another store a
few blocks away, so it's not as bad as it could be, at some point one
chain ate the other but kept both stores going for a long time). There
was a half price sale the last few weeks. I went as soon as I knew about
it, and it was as crowded as I've ever seen it. But the place was a mess.
Clearly people pulled out books to look at, then couldn't get access to
the same spot, so they just put it back where they could. The only
categories that I saw unlike that were history (it wasn't in great shape,
but much better than elsewhere) and the books about space travel and
astronomy, that looked barely touched.

Michael