"Not flushing" is hard to do!

Bill

Sep 18, 2010, 11:38:05 PM9/18/10
I've been trying to "not flush" the toilet when I go number 1, but it is
automatic! I've flushed every time for years and I just automatically flush.

Anyway, after I stuck a reminder note on the handle, that did the trick...

And it mostly does not smell. Maybe because I have city chlorinated water?

One day it did smell a little, and I sprayed one spray of bleach in the bowl
and that did the trick.

VFW

Sep 19, 2010, 10:16:52 AM9/19/10
In article <8fletn...@mid.individual.net>,
"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I do a half flush or you can buy a toilet that features a half flush
handle.
thanks for being so considerate.
--
Karma, What a concept!

Lou

Sep 19, 2010, 11:20:25 AM9/19/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Chances are the spray of bleach costs more than a flush-worth of water. And
if you take into account the water used in the manufacture and transport of
the bleach, it probably uses more water than a flush does as well.

Clams

Sep 19, 2010, 11:47:31 AM9/19/10

That crossed my mind as well.

Max

Sep 19, 2010, 1:26:05 PM9/19/10

HA HA HA
And that spray of bleach put chlorine vapor in the air you breathed no
matter how careful you were. Chlorine is very dangerous when used in
this way. Apparently, your health is not worth much.

Message has been deleted

Bill

Sep 19, 2010, 2:18:35 PM9/19/10
> Chances are the spray of bleach costs more than a flush-worth
> of water.

I thought about that...

However, at this point it has been one spray in 4 days (mostly no odor, only
had odor once). At that rate I would not expect to use even a small bleach
container in a year. And I expect to save around $72 per year by not
flushing (for number 1).

Max

Sep 19, 2010, 4:48:18 PM9/19/10

Try using the old memory trick of tying a rubber band around your ding-
dong and snapping it really hard after finishing.

walt tonne

Sep 20, 2010, 11:17:14 PM9/20/10

Most of the time I piss in a mug kept in the kitchen, pour it into
sink, and send it on its way
with a quick twist of the water handle.

Janice Kohn

Oct 2, 2010, 10:30:26 PM10/2/10
If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

Message has been deleted

George

Oct 3, 2010, 10:56:50 AM10/3/10
On 10/3/2010 10:34 AM, Derald wrote:

> jf...@webtv.net (Janice Kohn) wrote:
>
>> If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
> Cute, but how does that keep the mellowing yellow from smelling
> like piss? Seems to me that leaving the stuff to lie there in a puddle
> inside a bowl sort of defeats the purpose of indoor flushing toilets.

Exactly, and how much are you saving? We have one of the highest water
rates in the country and flushing 4 times/day uses ~ $1.10 of water.

Bill

Oct 3, 2010, 11:47:09 AM10/3/10
> Exactly, and how much are you saving? We have one of the highest
> water rates in the country and flushing 4 times/day uses ~ $1.10 of
> water.

The name of this group is "frugal-living". The first lesson is that
saving pennies and dollars here and there adds up to
hundreds/thousands of dollars a year.

(In my case I go #1 ten times a day and that works out to saving $72 a
year with my water rates, but if that was $12 a year, I would still do
it as I am looking for ways to save money and that is why I am
here...)

My neighbor spent money all the time because it was "just a dollar".
About 10 times a day she would buy this or that for "just a dollar".
And at the end of the month she did not have enough left to pay her
bills. She no longer lives there because her house was foreclosed on
due to non-payment.

In her case in was not a "dollar", rather more like $3650.00 per year!

Oct 3, 2010, 1:06:45 PM10/3/10

>> Exactly, and how much are you saving? We have one of the highest water
>> rates in the country and flushing 4 times/day uses ~ $1.10 of water.
>
> (In my case I go #1 ten times a day and that works out to saving $72 a
> year with my water rates, but if that was $12 a year, I would still do it
> as I am looking for ways to save money and that is why I am here...)

Wow! Our entire water bill for the year is $60 (we never use more than the
minimum fee). Do you live in the southwest?

Rod Speed

Oct 3, 2010, 1:27:13 PM10/3/10

I dont believe anyone is paying anything like $3650.00 per year to flush.

The Real Bev

Oct 3, 2010, 2:13:04 PM10/3/10
On 10/03/10 07:56, George wrote:

> On 10/3/2010 10:34 AM, Derald wrote:
>>
>> jf...@webtv.net (Janice Kohn) wrote:
>>
>>> If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.
>> Cute, but how does that keep the mellowing yellow from smelling
>> like piss? Seems to me that leaving the stuff to lie there in a puddle
>> inside a bowl sort of defeats the purpose of indoor flushing toilets.

Get some of the Clorox spray cleaner that is/contains bleach. Give the
toilet contents a shot when you're finished. It's good for cleaning
porcelain too.

> Exactly, and how much are you saving? We have one of the highest water
> rates in the country and flushing 4 times/day uses ~ $1.10 of water.

I think it's more a 'don't waste water' thing. We Socalians live in a
desert and get our water from other states.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

Bill

Oct 3, 2010, 8:44:39 PM10/3/10
"h" wrote in message

> Wow! Our entire water bill for the year is $60 (we never use more
> than the minimum fee). Do you live in the southwest?

Oregon. The minimum water and sewer is about $50 a month! If you don't
use any water, it is $50 a month.

We have a new water treatment plant built to all the federal
environmental regulations ($$).

And a new sewage treatment plant which discharges into a river built
to all the federal environmental regulations ($$). They even have to
refrigerate the water to cool it down before it goes in the river so
the fish will be happy, etc.

Anyway we have to pay for all this.

tmclone

Oct 3, 2010, 9:16:06 PM10/3/10

Ah, we all have septic out here (boonnies), and very low water usage
in a
very high water/resevoir area, and a small population. You can't swing
dead kid around here without hitting a water supply. At
last...something
cheaper in my county! We're in the top ten counties, USA-wide, for
taxes,
and always will be, even though we are barely in the bottom twenty
percent
for income level. Weird. I guess I should be happy that I'm saving a
few
hundred bucks a year on water. Only "savings" I will ever experience.
Over
$5000 a year in taxes for a house assessed (full value) at $160,000.
When I
tried to sell it last year the best offer I got was $109,000. Are the
assessors insane? Well...yeah.