Can I drop AT&T Long Distance, Keep Local?

joshh...@fastmail.fm

Nov 11, 2008, 3:34:36 PM11/11/08
I've been paying around $5.00 a month in fees and taxes just for the
priviledge of having AT&T Long Distance service on my land line. I
never use their LD service, preferring to use prepaid calling cards
instead. I'd like to drop the long distance part of my AT&T phone
service to save those wasted bucks, but keep the land line for local
calls and continue using calling cards for LD. But I'm not sure it's
possible:

If there is no long distance service for my land line, can I still
call toll-free 1-(8xx) numbers from it? I have to first call one of
those 800 numbers to place a calling card call.

And I'm assuming if I only have local service on my land line, I can
still RECEIVE long distance calls....is this correct?

Al Bundy

Nov 11, 2008, 4:38:09 PM11/11/08

Sure you can. I have done that for as long as possible. When I need to
make a LD call out I use one of those 10-10 dial-arounds. The rates
are pretty good. Incoming calls are not affected by not taking the
AT&T LD. I also use the old pulse dial system, known as rotary. My
phone has buttons and dials the pulse. If the destination has a menu
that requires a touch tone phone, I switch the phone to tone instead
of pulse and the menu options work fine. I switch back after the
call.
The phone companies like to charge more for touch tone service when it
actually saves them money over accepting a pulse. They are caught in a
marketing conundrum and can't/won't change it. I suppose they could
continue to charge extra for the touch tone and a premium over that
for rotary service. Please don't give them any ideas. They are
overpaid already.

Rod Speed

Nov 11, 2008, 4:52:53 PM11/11/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:
> joshhemm...@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> I've been paying around $5.00 a month in fees and taxes just for the
>> priviledge of having AT&T Long Distance service on my land line. I
>> never use their LD service, preferring to use prepaid calling cards
>> instead. I'd like to drop the long distance part of my AT&T phone
>> service to save those wasted bucks, but keep the land line for local
>> calls and continue using calling cards for LD. But I'm not sure it's
>> possible:
>>
>> If there is no long distance service for my land line, can I still
>> call toll-free 1-(8xx) numbers from it? I have to first call one of
>> those 800 numbers to place a calling card call.
>>
>> And I'm assuming if I only have local service on my land line, I can
>> still RECEIVE long distance calls....is this correct?
>
> Sure you can. I have done that for as long as possible. When I need to
> make a LD call out I use one of those 10-10 dial-arounds. The rates
> are pretty good. Incoming calls are not affected by not taking the
> AT&T LD. I also use the old pulse dial system, known as rotary. My
> phone has buttons and dials the pulse. If the destination has a menu
> that requires a touch tone phone, I switch the phone to tone instead
> of pulse and the menu options work fine. I switch back after the call.

> The phone companies like to charge more for touch tone service
> when it actually saves them money over accepting a pulse.

No it doesnt.

> They are caught in a marketing conundrum

No they arent.

The Real Bev

Nov 11, 2008, 7:10:27 PM11/11/08
Al Bundy wrote:

> joshhemm...@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> I've been paying around $5.00 a month in fees and taxes just for the
>> priviledge of having AT&T Long Distance service on my land line. I
>> never use their LD service, preferring to use prepaid calling cards
>> instead. I'd like to drop the long distance part of my AT&T phone
>> service to save those wasted bucks, but keep the land line for local
>> calls and continue using calling cards for LD. But I'm not sure it's
>> possible:
>>
>> If there is no long distance service for my land line, can I still
>> call toll-free 1-(8xx) numbers from it? I have to first call one of
>> those 800 numbers to place a calling card call.
>>
>> And I'm assuming if I only have local service on my land line, I can
>> still RECEIVE long distance calls....is this correct?

Yup, and you can make 800- calls too.

> Sure you can. I have done that for as long as possible. When I need to
> make a LD call out I use one of those 10-10 dial-arounds. The rates
> are pretty good.

Not as good as they used to be, though. The one I used to use tacked on
a 45-cent/call charge, so I stopped using them. The 99-Cents-Only store
sells 99-minute cards for 99 cents, and they're good for 99 days after
the first use or 6 months after the purchase date.

> Incoming calls are not affected by not taking the
> AT&T LD. I also use the old pulse dial system, known as rotary. My
> phone has buttons and dials the pulse. If the destination has a menu
> that requires a touch tone phone, I switch the phone to tone instead
> of pulse and the menu options work fine. I switch back after the
> call.
> The phone companies like to charge more for touch tone service when it
> actually saves them money over accepting a pulse. They are caught in a
> marketing conundrum and can't/won't change it.

Old information, at least as far as PacBell/AT&T/whoever they are today.
If you're still paying the extra charge they probably won't tell you
that you don't need to pay it any more, you'll have to ask.

> I suppose they could
> continue to charge extra for the touch tone and a premium over that
> for rotary service. Please don't give them any ideas. They are
> overpaid already.

Indeed.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Ron Peterson

Nov 12, 2008, 12:45:33 AM11/12/08
On Nov 11, 2:34 pm, joshhemm...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I've been paying around $5.00 a month in fees and taxes just for the
> priviledge of having AT&T Long Distance service on my land line.  I
> never use their LD service, preferring to use prepaid calling cards
> instead. I'd like to drop the long distance part of my AT&T phone
> service to save those wasted bucks, but keep the land line for local
> calls and continue using calling cards for LD.  But I'm not sure it's
> possible:

I have an AT&T long distance that doesn't have the $5.00 fee, but if I
have to make a long distance call, it will be more expensive.

I use my cell phone for long distance.

--
Ron

George

Nov 12, 2008, 8:16:26 AM11/12/08

Verizon did some time back. There used to be a line item charge for
touch tone service and they simply dropped that charge and didn't raise
the base rate.

Cheapo Groovo

Nov 12, 2008, 1:14:06 PM11/12/08
MagicJack is better than any AT&T

-----------------------------------
http://cheapogroovo.vox.com

In article <9d57c64e-cd43-4693-9c96-a846a52cf917
@k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, joshh...@fastmail.fm says...

George Grapman

Nov 12, 2008, 2:01:52 PM11/12/08

> In article <9d57c64e-cd43-4693-9c96-a846a52cf917
> @k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, joshh...@fastmail.fm says...
>> I've been paying around $5.00 a month in fees and taxes just for the
>> priviledge of having AT&T Long Distance service on my land line. I
>> never use their LD service, preferring to use prepaid calling cards
>> instead. I'd like to drop the long distance part of my AT&T phone
>> service to save those wasted bucks, but keep the land line for local
>> calls and continue using calling cards for LD. But I'm not sure it's
>> possible:
>>
>> If there is no long distance service for my land line, can I still
>> call toll-free 1-(8xx) numbers from it? I have to first call one of
>> those 800 numbers to place a calling card call.

Yes, you can still call 8700 numbers.

>> And I'm assuming if I only have local service on my land line, I can
>> still RECEIVE long distance calls....is this correct?

Yes.

www.Queensbridge.us

Nov 12, 2008, 2:03:09 PM11/12/08

We use OneSuite for all our LDX
Incredibly low long distance phone rates, As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
Works as prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or
cell phone. Compare the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com/ No monthly
fee or minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: FREEoffer23 for FREE
time

Al Bundy

Nov 12, 2008, 3:08:31 PM11/12/08

DTMF code is handled more efficiently partly due less need for a
buffer between pulsed numbers. The result is a faster call with less
line time overall. It adds up over millions of calls.

SMS

Nov 12, 2008, 5:52:22 PM11/12/08

Remember, if you sign up with OneSuite or TalkLoop and use local
numbers, it's usually cheaper than any calling card on the market, plus
you don't have to enter a PIN number if you program in your home number
into their system. Also OneSuite has access numbers all over the world.

The only issue with not having any long distance provider on your
account is that if you ever need to send a FAX it can be difficult to do
using a prepaid service or calling card. I've managed to do it manually,
but it was a pain. Now I use faxaway.com and fax from the PC. They
charge a small amount per page, and $1/month, a much better deal than eFAX.

George Grapman

Nov 12, 2008, 8:06:21 PM11/12/08
When I worked for a phone card distributor we sometimes had to send
overseas faxes. Since using our own cards was cheaper than direct dial
it became a mildly cumbersome process

Ken Lay

Nov 12, 2008, 9:12:43 PM11/12/08
In article
<b7c8c006-e32e-4ea1...@n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote:

> DTMF code is handled more efficiently partly due less need for a
> buffer between pulsed numbers. The result is a faster call with less
> line time overall. It adds up over millions of calls.

Yeah, especially when those millions of calls are all made by one person.
--
Everybody lies. George W. Bush and Dick Cheney just suck at it.

George Grapman

Nov 12, 2008, 10:04:49 PM11/12/08
There are many other things the telcos do not want you to know. In
California:

Failure to pay for enhanced services such as Caller ID can only result
in termination of those services,not disconnection.

Failure to pay for yellow pages ads can not cause termination.

If your phone service has not been shut off in 12 months they can not do
that until your past die bill is double your average monthly bill.

When you call the business office and tell them you are not
interested in adding services they must address the issue you called
about before trying to sell added services.

If you are a renter there is no need to but the inside wiring
protection plan as your landlord must cover that.

Rod Speed

Nov 12, 2008, 10:12:57 PM11/12/08

And that difference doesnt save them a cent.

> The result is a faster call with less line time overall.

And that difference doesnt save them a cent.

> It adds up over millions of calls.

No it doesnt when the difference doesnt even save them a thousandth of a cent.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Nov 16, 2008, 6:07:56 PM11/16/08
Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote
> rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote

>> Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> DTMF code is handled more efficiently partly due
>>> less need for a buffer between pulsed numbers.

>> And that difference doesnt save them a cent.

>>> The result is a faster call with less line time overall.

>> And that difference doesnt save them a cent.

>>> It adds up over millions of calls.

>> No it doesnt when the difference doesnt even save them a thousandth of a cent.

> Out of curiosity... I don't see anyone disputing that they like to charge for touch-tone service.

Didnt dispute that they do.

> And even if it doesn't _save_ them anything, it certainly doesn't appear to _cost_ them anything?

Irrelevant to what I disputed.

And some dont charge extra for touch tone dialing anyway.

Dan Birchall

Nov 17, 2008, 10:13:12 PM11/17/08
rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote:
> Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote

> > Out of curiosity... I don't see anyone disputing that they like
> > to charge for touch-tone service.
>
> Didnt dispute that they do.

Ok.

> > And even if it doesn't _save_ them anything, it certainly doesn't
> > appear to _cost_ them anything?
>
> Irrelevant to what I disputed.

Sorry for not being clear, I meant to be asking a different question
than that which was disputed.

> And some dont charge extra for touch tone dialing anyway.

Huh, that's interesting. Examples? Most of us deal with fairly
small numbers of telcos.

--
Oh, wicked, bad, naughty, _evil_ Dan! He is a _naughty_ person...

Rod Speed

Nov 17, 2008, 10:20:49 PM11/17/08
Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote

> rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote
>> Dan Birchall <nob...@imaginary-host.danbirchall.com> wrote

>>> Out of curiosity... I don't see anyone disputing that they like to charge for touch-tone service.

>> Didnt dispute that they do.

> Ok.

>>> And even if it doesn't _save_ them anything, it certainly doesn't appear to _cost_ them anything?

>> Irrelevant to what I disputed.

> Sorry for not being clear, I meant to be asking a different question than that which was disputed.

OK.

>> And some dont charge extra for touch tone dialing anyway.

> Huh, that's interesting. Examples?

George says Verizon.

Message has been deleted

Dave Garland

Nov 18, 2008, 1:48:02 PM11/18/08
Dan Birchall wrote:

> rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote:
>> And some dont charge extra for touch tone dialing anyway.
>
> Huh, that's interesting. Examples? Most of us deal with fairly
> small numbers of telcos.

I expect it varies by state. In Minnesota Qwest used to charge ($5,
IIRC) extra for touchtone. Then with PUC approval they made a rate
change that "would lower rates for the majority of customers". They
raised the base rate for everybody by $3 and eliminated the touchtone
charge.

I guess one could argue about whether that's "not charging extra" or
"charging everybody whether they want it or not".

Dave

Zee

Nov 29, 2008, 6:33:08 AM11/29/08
On Nov 13, 3:03 am, "www.Queensbridge.us" <NOTva...@Queensbridge.us>
wrote:
> cell phone. Compare the rates athttps://www.OneSuite.com/No monthly

> fee or minimum. Use Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: FREEoffer23 for FREE
> time

We use Onesuite in our household too. Aside from their main calling
card service, you can use your account for voip calls too. It means
more access to their service with no additional charge whatsoever.
They got local access and toll free numbers so no worries even if you
have no LD access in your landline.

metspitzer

Nov 29, 2008, 9:39:51 AM11/29/08
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 03:33:08 -0800 (PST), Zee <zza...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I use IDT. If I don't make a call, my bill is 0. AT 5cents per min,
my bill is less then 2 bucks most months.

Zeke Krahlin

Nov 30, 2008, 6:32:49 PM11/30/08
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:39:51 -0500, metspitzer <kilo...@charter.net>
wrote:

>I use IDT. If I don't make a call, my bill is 0. AT 5cents per min,
>my bill is less then 2 bucks most months.

Onesuite only costs 2 cents/minute. Excellent service.
--
Final Testament (bible for queers only)
http://www.gay-bible.org

Zeke Krahlin

Nov 30, 2008, 6:34:17 PM11/30/08
wrote:

>We use Onesuite in our household too. Aside from their main calling

>card service, you can use your account for voip calls too. It means
>more access to their service with no additional charge whatsoever.
>They got local access and toll free numbers so no worries even if you
>have no LD access in your landline.

I can also vouch for Onesuite's excellent and inexpensive LD service.
I dropped AT&T for LD, precisely because they started charging for the
"privilege"...and have kept their local service. That was four or five
years ago...I'm very happy with the arrangement.