Buying RGP ( Rigid Gas Permeable ) Contact lenses ?

nosp...@nospam.com

Oct 13, 2003, 7:48:45 AM10/13/03
The Optometrist wants over $ 300.00 in additon to exam fees for a
pair of bi-focal RGP lenses . I have noticed that they are lot less (
less that 1/2 than price price) at many places on the web and Costco
etc. However the optomistrist guarantees that his will fit properly
and will do whatever it takes ( rexam reordering until they are right
) Discussion on this topic is appreciated . -thanks

SlinkyToy

Oct 13, 2003, 9:00:34 AM10/13/03
Go through your optometrist. RGPs are RIGID. You'll have a break-in
period while your eyes become accustomed to having little bits of
plastic in them. Only your optometrist can look at the contacts while
they're on your eyes and determine if the discomfort is just break-in
or if the things aren't fitting properly and are damaging your eyes.

If you purchase RGPs through a third party you'll be paying for every
refit at your doc's office and probably every replacement pair until
they fit correctly.

I bought RGPs in the early 90s and needed four pairs before they fit
to my doc's satisfaction. They were about $300 then, too.

Arri London

Oct 13, 2003, 9:17:46 AM10/13/03

That's not a lot of money to preserve your vision. Fittings are
essential and I've heard lots of people say it took more than one try to
get the lenses fitted properly.

Karen Wheless

Oct 13, 2003, 10:37:23 AM10/13/03

If this is your first pair of RGP lenses, then get them through your
optometrist. They're hard to fit, especially for bifocal lenses.

I've been wearing RGP lenses for 15 years, and I've bought a couple of
pairs online. RGP lenses should last a long time - my last pair lasted
more than 5 years - but I broke/lost 2 lenses in a row last year, only a
little over a year after I had bought new lenses from my eye doctor. (I
keep an extra pair for those eventualities, but breaking 2 in a row was
a nightmare.) My eye doctor wouldn't sell me new lenses without a new
exam, since it had been more than 12 months since my last one (although
just barely). That would have brought the cost to over $400, so I
bought a pair online. They've been perfect, identical to the ones I
bought through my eye doctor.

But I've been using the same prescription for years, so I didn't really
need to be "fitted" - just to get a replacement pair. RGP lenses are
difficult to be fitted properly and need some adjustment at the
beginning, so get the first pair online. If you don't break them or
drop them down the sink, they'll last a long time. But ask your doctor
for a copy of your prescription (make sure it includes the contact lens
measurements) "just in case of emergencies". That way you'll have it if
you need to get a replacement pair later.

Karen

Chuck

Oct 13, 2003, 1:32:28 PM10/13/03

"Karen Wheless" <regenc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>But ask your doctor for a copy of your prescription (make sure it includes
the contact lens
> measurements) "just in case of emergencies". That way you'll have it if
> you need to get a replacement pair later.
>
> Karen

That's great advice.

I broke one of mine. Went to the optometrist (sp) and the doors were locked.
I had forgot all about that letter he sent saying that he was retiring.

I had to go through some records storage outfit to get my records. Took them
over two weeks to get them to me.

In the meantime, I found another optometrist, but he said he couldn't do
anything for two weeks, until the shape of my eyes came back to normal.

I had to wear a pair of glasses that I haven't worn in almost 20 years,
until my contacts came in, almost 3 weeks later .

The prescription had changed quite a bit, on top of looking like a total
dork!

Get a copy of the prescription!!!!!!!!!

Richard Dreyfuss

Oct 13, 2003, 2:03:17 PM10/13/03
nosp...@nospam.com wrote in news:3f8a90ec....@news.myjoi.net:

Try Sam's club. I recently got soft contacts there and am pretty
satisfied. Their price on the lenses was cheaper than I could get
online (unless I bought lenses 100 at a time, a bit excessive I
think). Also I went back twice because they didn't feel quite right,
and was not charged again for the service or the sample lenses they
gave me. I doubt they'd give you RGP lenses free as a sample, but
the price may make it worth it.

If you go with your current optometrist, make sure that they _will_
give you your prescription. I first went to Pearle vision for my
contacts with the intention of getting just the first pair there, and
then looking online. Turns out that for "legal liability reasons"
they won't give you your prescription, you have to order through them
for a much higher price. I left.

Hope this helps,
Ben

The Real Bev

Oct 13, 2003, 3:56:55 PM10/13/03
Richard Dreyfuss wrote:

> nosp...@nospam.com wrote in news:3f8a90ec....@news.myjoi.net:
>
> > The Optometrist wants over $ 300.00 in additon to exam fees for a
> > pair of bi-focal RGP lenses . I have noticed that they are lot less (
> > less that 1/2 than price price) at many places on the web and Costco
> > etc. However the optomistrist guarantees that his will fit properly
> > and will do whatever it takes ( rexam reordering until they are right
> > ) Discussion on this topic is appreciated . -thanks

If you haven't been satisfactorily fitted yet, trying to order them
yourself through a third party vendor would be incredibly stupid.

Multifocal RGPs are a real bitch to fit if you have astigmatism,
especially the against-the-rule variety, which practically guarantees
you can't be fitted properly. I tried 8 different sets of RGP
multifocals, some of which were excellent (seeing both near and far just
like REAL eyes!) for perhaps 1 second out of 60, after which they would
move to a place where they were awful. Since RGPs wouldn't work, I
tried a couple of pair of soft multifocals, which didn't work either. I
eventually settled for some single-vision softies which are a bit better
than my glasses most of the time but which, unfortunately, do not allow
me to dump my reading glasses.

Astigmatism + presbyopia suck badly.

> Try Sam's club. I recently got soft contacts there and am pretty
> satisfied. Their price on the lenses was cheaper than I could get
> online (unless I bought lenses 100 at a time, a bit excessive I
> think). Also I went back twice because they didn't feel quite right,
> and was not charged again for the service or the sample lenses they
> gave me. I doubt they'd give you RGP lenses free as a sample, but
> the price may make it worth it.

RGP multifocals are custom-made, not off the shelf like single-vision
softies, and probably cost in the neighborhood of $100 each. No free
samples, you have to return the old ones before you can get new ones.
Sam's or Costco might have them cheaper, so you might want to buy a
second pair from them (assuming you get your prescription) as a backup.
Check into the price of loss-insurance. They're very tiny and easy to
lose.

> If you go with your current optometrist, make sure that they _will_
> give you your prescription. I first went to Pearle vision for my
> contacts with the intention of getting just the first pair there, and
> then looking online. Turns out that for "legal liability reasons"
> they won't give you your prescription, you have to order through them
> for a much higher price. I left.

While optometrists are required to give you a copy of your prescription
for glasses, it's not required for contacts. Some will, some won't. I
think the optometrist would have to trust that the patient will wear and
clean his lenses properly before he'd give a copy of the prescription,
even if it can be read off the vial(s).

--
Cheers,
Bev

skra...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2015, 6:29:49 PM2/22/15
I bought mine at COSTCO, several times and am very happy with them. RGP with complex formulation. One time I was allergic to the material used and he replaced it twice until the 3rd pair was OK at no extra cost. Watch your $

The Real Bev

Feb 22, 2015, 7:31:38 PM2/22/15
That's odd. I thought that the prescription specified the exact
brand/model/size, which would seem to also imply material. I tried RGPs
for a week, but with my astigmatism they just wouldn't work -- perfect
vision as long as I didn't move my eyes :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
===================================

Dee

Feb 23, 2015, 10:03:46 AM2/23/15
Correct fit is *extremely* important for RBP lenses. When I got my
first pair (over 30 years ago) the doctor fit them perfectly to my
eyes. Years later I went to another doctor who did not have the same
equipment to measure for fitment, and I couldn't wear the lenses
because they didn't fit right and hurt so much. Luckily I was able to
obtain the old original measurements and was able to get a pair of
lenses I could wear.

I would recommend that you pay the doctor to get the correct fit.
After that, you can reuse those measurements over and over again, going
to any doctor you wish for an exam and then ordering your lenses from
wherever you want.

I go to a local optometrist for an exam every two years, and order my
lenses from Discount Contact Lenses.
http://www.discountcontactlenses.com

Dee

uniqueey...@gmail.com