Fabric softener?

1 view

Gas Bag

Oct 19, 2010, 8:15:18 AM10/19/10
I've read all sorts of advice and tips regarding "DIY fabric softener"
- vinegar, bicarb soda, borax, lemon essence, just to name a few.
From all the different things I've read, I have no idea what works and
what doesn't.
If anyone has tried using any homemade/DIY fabric softener that truly
works for clothes HUNG OUTDOORS (as opposed to simply a fragrance
additive), I'd like to hear about it. While adding something like
lemon essence may give fabrics a really nice smell, I doubt it will do
much to soften the fabric. What I'd also like to know is how fabric
softener actually works (i.e. how it softens fabrics).

Rod Speed

Oct 19, 2010, 2:03:11 PM10/19/10

I dont bother. I always hang the washing out outside and even the jeans are fine.

Bill Penrose

Oct 19, 2010, 3:23:45 PM10/19/10
On Oct 19, 5:15 am, Gas Bag <shazl...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I've read all sorts of advice and tips regarding "DIY fabric softener"
> - vinegar, bicarb soda, borax, lemon essence, just to name a few.

I think it's like hair conditioner. It adheres to the fibers and
lubricates them so they don't stiffen. Look at the list of
ingredients. Chances are, its a short chain polyethylene glycol.

DB

Mrs Bonk

Oct 19, 2010, 7:07:41 PM10/19/10

How very nice to see some life in a.h.c.
Many in this group have sworn by vinegar. Myself, if I want soft washing, I
use my relations water, they live five miles away but have a different water
provider. I never need conditioner there. At my home the water is so hard
the washing is stiff as a board despite all sorts of conditioners being
tried. When the washing is dry a hot iron will soften it - as long as the
material is suitable.

The Henchman

Oct 19, 2010, 9:19:16 PM10/19/10

"Mrs Bonk" <ar...@nospamcutey.com> wrote in message

> How very nice to see some life in a.h.c.
> Many in this group have sworn by vinegar. Myself, if I want soft washing,
> I use my relations water, they live five miles away but have a different
> water provider. I never need conditioner there. At my home the water is
> so hard the washing is stiff as a board despite all sorts of conditioners
> being tried. When the washing is dry a hot iron will soften it - as long
> as the material is suitable.

Why not invest in a good water softener? We have a Ecowater brand 3500
series and it's wonderful. The dishwasher and washing machine require far
less soap to perform their duties as well. Showers are shorter and cheap
garbage soap lathers quite well with softened water.

Our water is 25 hardness. No more deposits when you boil water for your
veggies.

Mrs Bonk

Oct 20, 2010, 11:50:42 AM10/20/10

I don't know anyone who has a 'proper' ***water softener dear, they are not
too popular hereabouts, I am not sure why not. I don't have a dishwasher and
my washing machine uses automatic liquid or powder so no bubbles anyway. I
also don't have a shower! Oh dear, you must think I am from a backward
country. A handful of soda in the bath or a bath bomb works wonders - I HAVE
invested in a mixer tap so hair washing is not such a problem. I think the
hard water is healthier? It certainly tastes a lot different to the water
across town, the tea there is awful, almost soapy. I am aware Yorkshire Tea
makes tea bags specifically for hard OR soft water so I must try them out.

> Our water is 25 hardness. No more deposits when you boil water for your
> veggies.

I mostly steam my veg - if I can be bothered to cook these days. I do see a
bit of white in the under pan sometimes but that rinses out. I don't know
how to measure my water hardness, it would be interesting to see what it is.

***
I have seen adverts for a wrap around the pipe coil that is supposed to
remove limescale and soften the water but as yet have not found anyone that
can vouch for that type of system.

The Henchman

Oct 20, 2010, 8:53:40 PM10/20/10

"Mrs Bonk" <ar...@nospamcutey.com> wrote in message

The orginal topic for this was fabric softener so I simply raved about a
water softener in that context. There are differening debates about the
health of water softeners but that doesn't fit into the topic of softer
fabrics.

I swear by water softeners for washing of clothing, and showering/bathing.
It's simply much easier on clothes and skin and require far less soap and
lathering to accomplish cleaning.

I'm in north Halton area of Ontario Canada. Most people here have water
softeners.

And no I \don't think you are from a backward country (or County even...)

J Burns

Oct 21, 2010, 11:03:56 PM10/21/10

For cotton, an emulsion of soap and oil will work. It could be olive
oil, corn oil, or tallow.

J Burns

Oct 21, 2010, 11:23:18 PM10/21/10
On 10/20/10 11:50 AM, Mrs Bonk wrote:

[snip]

Oh dear, you must think I am from a backward
> country. A handful of soda in the bath or a bath bomb works wonders - I HAVE
> invested in a mixer tap so hair washing is not such a problem.

[snip]

In modern countries, we pour soda into a cup, stir in cherry syrup, add
ice, and drink through a straw. If you try it, I'm sure you'll quit
drinking it by the handful or using it to bathe or wash your hair.

Mrs Bonk

Oct 25, 2010, 8:42:18 AM10/25/10

I doubt I would, it's one of lifes little pleasures - accidently sitting on
a bath bomb...

J Burns

Oct 25, 2010, 7:24:20 PM10/25/10
Nothing about uk pleasures has surprised me since I learned that
residents enjoy taking tea in their quarters.