Most roman and roll up blinds "recalled for repair" due to strangulation hazard

enough

Dec 16, 2009, 3:24:01 AM12/16/09
http://www.windowcoverings.org/
U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Window Covering Safety
Council Announce Voluntary Corrective Action Plan

NEW YORK (December 2009) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
(CPSC) and The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) are announcing an
industry-wide voluntary corrective action plan covering roman-style
shades and roll-up blinds to prevent the potential hazard of
strangulation to young children. The recall involves window coverings
that can form a loop and cause strangulation. According to information
provided by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, since 1990,
more than 200 infants and young children have died from accidentally
strangling in window cords.

Consumers can obtain free retrofit kits for roman style fabric looped
and flat panel shades and roll up blinds online at www.windowcoverings.org
or by calling WCSC's toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636.

Parents and caregivers are being reminded of potential window-cord
dangers and are urged to make the right choice and only use cordless
window products in homes with young children. Owners and renters
should replace all window coverings in the home made before 2001 with
today's safer products.

To maximize window-cord safety when young children are present,
consumers are urged to follow these safety guidelines:

* Install only cordless window coverings in homes with young
children. Replace window blinds, corded shades and draperies
manufactured before 2001 with today’s safer products.
* Move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and
window cords, preferably to another wall.
* Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach
of children. Make sure that tasseled pull cords are short and
continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall.
Make sure cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit
movement of inner lift cords.
* Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades
are lowered, including when they come to rest on a windowsill.

The Window Covering Safety Council is a coalition of major U.S.
manufacturers, importers and retailers of window coverings.

Rod Speed

Dec 16, 2009, 3:50:14 AM12/16/09
enough wrote:
> http://www.windowcoverings.org/
> U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Window Covering
> Safety Council Announce Voluntary Corrective Action Plan

> NEW YORK (December 2009) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
> (CPSC) and The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) are announcing an
> industry-wide voluntary corrective action plan covering roman-style shades and
> roll-up blinds to prevent the potential hazard of strangulation to young children.

The more that get strangled the better.

> The recall involves window coverings that can form a loop and cause strangulation.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to get some darwinian selection back into the system.

The Real Bev

Dec 16, 2009, 8:30:30 PM12/16/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> enough wrote:
>> http://www.windowcoverings.org/ U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission and
>> the Window Covering Safety Council Announce Voluntary Corrective Action
>> Plan
>
>> NEW YORK (December 2009) - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
>> (CPSC) and The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) are announcing an
>> industry-wide voluntary corrective action plan covering roman-style shades
>> and roll-up blinds to prevent the potential hazard of strangulation to
>> young children.
>
> The more that get strangled the better.

Harsh. Still...

>> The recall involves window coverings that can form a loop and cause
>> strangulation.
>
> Makes a hell of a lot more sense to get some darwinian selection back into
> the system.

For once I agree. Might have been better if Darwin had started at least one
generation previously, though. Offspring tend toward the norm.

--
Cheers, Bev