can you top this as the worst deal EVER?

OhioGuy

Jan 22, 2009, 12:26:37 PM1/22/09
http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=buybackgi8.jpg

I just got our latest CompUSA catalog. Evidently we get that now instead
of the old TigerDirect catalog. It seems like the only thing that has
changed is the name on the front.

Anyway, I saw this on page 4, upper left hand corner of the catalog.

"Guaranteed Buyback Plans: New Technology Happens. You'll Be Ready When
It Does" *TM
- note that they have copyrights on "Guaranteed Buyback" and the phrase
about new technology

Then it goes on to say "from $19.98"

I went to the website and searched for "T20", as directed.

In a nutshell, you pay them, then you are allowed to return the product
to a third party for 'up to' 50% of what you paid, within the next two
years.

It's $30 for an LCD monitor, $50 for laptop over $1,000 and $30 for
laptop under $1,000
to participate in these 'plans'

What it actually gives you is this:

first 6 months: get 50% back
6-12 months: get 40% back
12-18 months: get 30% back
18-24 months: get 20% back

So you get to pay them extra $$, and in return, in 18 months you can get
LESS than you could if you put it up on eBay or Craigslist. I can't
imagine buying something so outdated that I can't do better than 20% of
what I paid in 18 months. If I used this with a $500 laptop, I'd only
get $100 back in 18 months - a loss of $400.

How about you - have you ever seen a "deal" more boneheaded than this?
If so, please share!

im.1.max...@xoxy.net

Jan 22, 2009, 12:54:18 PM1/22/09

The market place will decide. Nobody is twisting any arms. People can
read and make a decision. All kinds of people purchase service
agreements for hundreds and in the case of vehicles, thousands, for
the peace of mind they get. Not everybody is adept at reselling items
on eBay or Craig's List. They want something on paper that they can
depend on even if it costs more.
Personally, I don't believe in warranties or service agreements. I'd
prefer things be sold at a discount without recourse beyond the first
few days. As Joe Gerard said, "There's an ass for every seat."

Dave

Jan 24, 2009, 4:12:45 PM1/24/09

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

Yeah, they are generally referred to as "extended warranties" or "service
plans". 99.99% of them are 100% pure profit for whoever sold it to you. If
you get 20% back in less than two years, that's a lot better than getting
zip zero zilch. -Dave