April Fools Day and Californians pay more in taxes!

Bay Area Holdout

Mar 28, 2009, 3:56:04 PM3/28/09
Well two days left for Californians to pay a bit less in taxes. April Fools
Day(could this be more ironic) and our Sales Tax goes up 1%. For my County
that means 9.25%.

We moved up a few planned purchases(dishwasher and tires) to save a bit and
will look closer and bringing back more tax free goodies when we make a
planned trip to Oregon in about six weeks.

Auto Registration fees go up in May and I lost track of all the other
increases coming. These two are the most obvious and visible.

We are looking at these increases being around for at least two years with
an "option" for two more years after that. What are the odds of this all
going away in two years?

I found it even funnier that less than a month after these increases passed
that the state says they will still be short by $8 billion...amazing. It
will get even worse too.

The budget deficit in the state will only get worse too. They have been for
the last four years and continue to drive out those that actually contribute
to a growing economy and the "void" is being filled with those that suck up
services, like police, welfare and prisons.

My wife and I were born here and lived here all our lives but this is it. We
are making our plans to leave and take our the money spend and pay in taxes
somewhere else. California has become the pay more get less state and we've
had it.

Message has been deleted

Jamie

Mar 29, 2009, 12:48:48 AM3/29/09
On Mar 28, 1:55 pm, josejar...@ssnet.net wrote:
> Are you near the Oregon border?  There is no sales tax in Oregon.  I go there for big purchases.

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:56:04 -0700, in misc.consumers.frugal-living "Bay Area Holdout" <Linea...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Well two days left for Californians to pay a bit less in taxes. April Fools
> >Day(could this be more ironic) and our Sales Tax goes up 1%. For my County
> >that means 9.25%.
What county are you in? I'm in Hollisterin San Benito County, which
went form 7.25% to 8.25% about two years ago. I work in nearby Gilroy
in Santa Clara County, which has the same current tax rate.

Bay Area Holdout

Mar 30, 2009, 10:22:23 PM3/30/09

"Jamie" <jan...@ihollister.net> wrote in message

We are in Santa Clara County. Some locations in Alameda and Contra Costa
County will be paying 9.75% and San Francisco will be paying 9.5%........

Here's a link for the Tax Rate in every California city. starting April
1st.......

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/pdf/Pending_Rates-4-09.pdf

Bay Area Holdout

Mar 30, 2009, 10:28:37 PM3/30/09
In the SF Bay Area so not real close but we put off some optional bigger
purchases and make them in Oregon when we go visit friends about twice a
year.
When we leave(and we are planning to go soon given how bad this state has
become) we want to go to Southwest Washington just across from Portland. No
Income Tax in Washington and no Sales Tax in Oregon. Can't get around cars
which have to be registered but alot of other stuff can go without Sales Tax
if you hail it yourself across the Columbia River!

Some things will cost a bit more but we figure to put at least 10% a year in
our pocket over it going to various taxes.

BAHO

<josej...@ssnet.net> wrote in message

> Are you near the Oregon border? There is no sales tax in Oregon. I go
> there for big purchases.
>

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:56:04 -0700, in misc.consumers.frugal-living "Bay

> Area Holdout" <Line...@hotmail.com>

Gary Heston

Mar 30, 2009, 11:50:47 PM3/30/09
In article <fjfAl.13805$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>,

Bay Area Holdout <Line...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In the SF Bay Area so not real close but we put off some optional bigger
>purchases and make them in Oregon when we go visit friends about twice a
>year.
>When we leave(and we are planning to go soon given how bad this state has
>become) we want to go to Southwest Washington just across from Portland. No
>Income Tax in Washington and no Sales Tax in Oregon. Can't get around cars
>which have to be registered but alot of other stuff can go without Sales Tax
>if you hail it yourself across the Columbia River!

>Some things will cost a bit more but we figure to put at least 10% a year in
>our pocket over it going to various taxes.

[ ... ]

You do realize you're expected to pay use taxes on everything your buy in
Oregon and bring into Washington State, once you move there?

You can expect more aggressive enforcement of that in the future.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Bay Area Holdout

Mar 31, 2009, 2:30:19 AM3/31/09

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> In article <fjfAl.13805$pr6....@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>,
> Bay Area Holdout <Line...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>In the SF Bay Area so not real close but we put off some optional bigger
>>purchases and make them in Oregon when we go visit friends about twice a
>>year.
>>When we leave(and we are planning to go soon given how bad this state has
>>become) we want to go to Southwest Washington just across from Portland.
>>No
>>Income Tax in Washington and no Sales Tax in Oregon. Can't get around cars
>>which have to be registered but alot of other stuff can go without Sales
>>Tax
>>if you hail it yourself across the Columbia River!
>
>>Some things will cost a bit more but we figure to put at least 10% a year
>>in
>>our pocket over it going to various taxes.
> [ ... ]
>
> You do realize you're expected to pay use taxes on everything your buy in
> Oregon and bring into Washington State, once you move there?
>
> You can expect more aggressive enforcement of that in the future.
>

> Gary
Hard pressed to see the positive politics of inspection stations on I-5 and
I-205 screening every car and truck for imported goods. I understand that IF
you have the Oregon store deliver the goods to your home in Washington then
yes you will be charged the Washington tax.

Besides how does this sound fair when people from Oregon can show there
drivers license in Southern Western Washington counties and have their Sales
Tax forgiven? Which I understand is the case.

Yes I suppose they could screen for credit card receipts and even cancelled
checks. Hard to see how that will work with cash sales.
Overall this sounds pretty hard to enforce..............

Seerialmom

Mar 31, 2009, 3:16:33 PM3/31/09

What's up with all the variance on the sales tax? Is this the first
time it's higher in some places than others? Or did I just not notice
it because I hadn't purchased anything outside of the Sacramento
valley? Internet sales don't count.

Seerialmom

Mar 31, 2009, 3:21:16 PM3/31/09
On Mar 30, 8:50 pm, ghes...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:
> In article <fjfAl.13805$pr6.10...@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com>,

> Bay Area Holdout <Linea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In the SF Bay Area so not real close but we put off some optional bigger
> >purchases and make them in Oregon when we go visit friends about twice a
> >year.
> >When we leave(and we are planning to go soon given how bad this state has
> >become) we want to go to Southwest Washington just across from Portland. No
> >Income Tax in Washington and no Sales Tax in Oregon. Can't get around cars
> >which have to be registered but alot of other stuff can go without Sales Tax
> >if you hail it yourself across the Columbia River!
> >Some things will cost a bit more but we figure to put at least 10% a year in
> >our pocket over it going to various taxes.
>
>   [ ... ]
>
> You do realize you're expected to pay use taxes on everything your buy in
> Oregon and bring into Washington State, once you move there?
>
> You can expect more aggressive enforcement of that in the future.
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Heston  ghes...@hiwaay.net  http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

> "Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
>     General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

That's not exactly true. You're supposed to pay "use taxes" in the
state you live on purchases you made outside. For example, if you buy
$2K worth of electronics in Oregon you're supposed to report the "use
tax" on your California 540 . And how agressive can they get? Border
patrol? Receipt checking before you enter California?

Bay Area Holdout

Mar 31, 2009, 4:44:23 PM3/31/09

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Mar 28, 12:56 pm, "Bay Area Holdout" <Linea...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well two days left for Californians to pay a bit less in taxes. April
> Fools
> Day(could this be more ironic) and our Sales Tax goes up 1%. For my County
> that means 9.25%.

What's up with all the variance on the sales tax? Is this the first
time it's higher in some places than others? Or did I just not notice
it because I hadn't purchased anything outside of the Sacramento
valley? Internet sales don't count.

The minimum sales tax will now be 8.25% up from 7.25%. It's higher in alot
of urban area and this is mostly for various transit districts that can't
make enough. The East Bay Area is the worst as the pay for BART and local
transit taxes too. Alameda Coutny will be 9.75%!

My daughter works for a car dealer and says they saw a real boom this
weekend as people were rushing to get a car now and save $200(on a $20K car)
or more in Sales Tax.

On the USE Tax thing in Calif (if you do it) they calculate it based on the
County where you live.

SMS

Mar 31, 2009, 5:23:03 PM3/31/09
Bay Area Holdout wrote:
> Well two days left for Californians to pay a bit less in taxes. April Fools
> Day(could this be more ironic) and our Sales Tax goes up 1%. For my County
> that means 9.25%.
>
> We moved up a few planned purchases(dishwasher and tires) to save a bit and
> will look closer and bringing back more tax free goodies when we make a
> planned trip to Oregon in about six weeks.

You need to declare those out of state goods when you do your income tax
and pay use tax on them.

> Auto Registration fees go up in May and I lost track of all the other
> increases coming. These two are the most obvious and visible.

What was foolish is that they raised taxes that aren't deductible from
federal income taxes.

Oregon's tax structure makes more sense since higher income and property
taxes are at least tax deductible, and it helps local businesses by not
sending people onto Amazon to buy everything. Income and property taxes
are also much less regressive.

> We are looking at these increases being around for at least two years with
> an "option" for two more years after that. What are the odds of this all
> going away in two years?

Slim and none, and Slim just walked out the door.

> I found it even funnier that less than a month after these increases passed
> that the state says they will still be short by $8 billion...amazing. It
> will get even worse too.

Well one of the biggest contributors was the idiocy of lowering the
vehicle license fee in the "good years." It was supposed to be a
temporary reduction, a way of reducing taxes in a surplus year. Then
Darrel Issa latched onto the VLF and thought that he could parlay it
into becoming governor, but it didn't work out for him.

Next time there's a surplus and they want to do refunds, they need to
send out checks with the express understanding that it's a one time bonus.

California is just about ungovernable with everyone voting themselves
lower taxes and voting for ballot propositions that raise state costs.

> My wife and I were born here and lived here all our lives but this is it. We
> are making our plans to leave and take our the money spend and pay in taxes
> somewhere else. California has become the pay more get less state and we've
> had it.

Funny thing is that California isn't such an expensive place to retire.
Every time they raise parcel taxes they exempt seniors, you don't need
huge amounts of energy to heat or cool your house, income tax is fairly
low, you probably aren't spending a lot on luxury goods where you'll pay
a lot of sales tax, and there are a lot of low-cost recreational
opportunities, especially in the Bay Area.