How to ride a bike in America as if you were in Holland

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 5, 2010, 2:53:08 PM8/5/10
Imagine that you could get almost all the benefits of riding a bike in
safety while living in America. It's virtually possible...

I always wanted a recumbent, which has certain advantages, and while
waiting for things to change and have safe roads, I went to K-Mart,
found the right price, and I bought a recumbent stationary bike. I
have just put it in the middle of the living room, looking at the
garden, while I watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_o3chL8phA

***

Isn't it awesome that I can enjoy virtual Dutch biking in the safety
of my home? Well, I still depend on my feet or the car to get around,
but hey, at least I won't be the average couch potato.

It reminds of this movie, Soylent Green, in a futuristic world where
there's no nature left, and this old man decide to die in a romantic
way... (they are turned into food)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7U4EQXFMBE&feature=related

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"It's all an illusion and then you die"

http://webspawner.com/users/BIKEFORPEACE

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 5, 2010, 6:34:57 PM8/5/10

> Every day, I get all the benefits of riding a bike in safety while living in
> America. And it has nothing to do with being in Holland, or imagining I'm
> there. I just drive my bicycle on the public roadway while obeying, and
> receiving the benefits of, all* the ordinary rules of the road for drivers
> of vehicles.
>
> *except those that are prohibited by California's peculiar bicycle-specific
> laws

Perhaps the thing I miss the most is not the catchy Dutch name, but
the fact that cycling there is very SOCIAL.

My Comandante Bike vehicle (equivalent to a Mercedes) is a Electra
Amsterdam 3 spd classic, modified to show prestige and ultimate
comfort. Actually I could compete with a Rolls Royce, but got no
public.

Many people don't realize we are already living in dystopia.