Companies closing down without telling their employees

ulti...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2008, 2:24:59 AM12/22/08

ulti...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2008, 2:26:37 AM12/22/08

How does the Orthodox Capitalists feel about companies closing down
without telling their employees?

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 22, 2008, 3:15:48 AM12/22/08

They wouldn't care in the least.
Which is why the post Neanderthal people even invented the GPS,
Drones,
Cruise Missiles, and computers that don't spontaneously whistle
things
about "There's Always Tommorow".

Rod Speed

Dec 22, 2008, 5:04:15 PM12/22/08
ulti...@gmail.com wrote
> ulti...@gmail.com wrote
>> ulti...@gmail.com wrote

You'll end up completely blind if you dont watch out, child.

>>> http://consumerist.com/5113170/three-tgifridays-mysteriously-close-no...

> How does the Orthodox Capitalists feel about companies closing down without telling their employees?

Same way Roman Catholic Capitalists feel, presumably.

Too_Many_Tools

Dec 22, 2008, 6:59:37 PM12/22/08

They only care if they are "The Employee".

TMT

Message has been deleted

Strider

Dec 24, 2008, 3:34:11 PM12/24/08
"Shawn Hirn" <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I think it sucks, but it seems to me that in many situations, employees
> can see the writing on the wall. Unless the bosses are cooking the
> books, when business drops significantly, any employee who doesn't
> notice that and doesn't start thinking about his or her job security is
> living in an alternate reality.

True. Newspapers are notorious for folding with very little advance notice.
In Dec. 1991 the Dallas Times Herald announced its demise on a Sunday
afternoon. The paper published its final edition the next day. It was hardly
a surprise, though -- they'd been in the proverbial "downward spiral" for a
couple of years at least. I've read instances of editors sending the
completed pages to the pressroom, then having the publisher arrive in the
newsroom an hour later saying "You've just published the last issue."

Back in college a classmate had been chosen for a summer internship at an
out-of-town newspaper. A week or two before he was scheduled to report, the
paper abruptly folded. No one so much as hinted to him that any trouble was
afoot.

Strider

--
ROT13 the "reply to" for e-mail address.

Seerialmom

Dec 24, 2008, 3:59:01 PM12/24/08
On Dec 21, 11:24 pm, ultim...@gmail.com wrote:

Definitely scroogelike of the franchise owner; however California is
an "at-will" employment state. The employer has no legal obligation
to warn the employee of the intention to close the store. The article
doesn't really give the franchise owner's side of the story and it's
obvious the parent corporation was also unaware. Who knows, maybe the
owner has to go into hiding from a loan shark or something. At least
the employees did get a "final" paycheck; they could have shown up to
a locked store and an owner filing bankruptcy (which would have made
the employees "creditors").

zzbu...@netscape.net

Dec 24, 2008, 4:40:05 PM12/24/08
On Dec 24, 10:08 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <f158d9ac-349d-4d0a-afd2-8d2926459...@w1g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
> I think it sucks, but it seems to me that in many situations, employees
> can see the writing on the wall. Unless the bosses are cooking the
> books, when business drops significantly, any employee who doesn't
> notice that and doesn't start thinking about his or her job security is
> living in an alternate reality.

That's true, but it's also why moronic US buisness' attract so
many bookies anymore
for employees. Rather than people who read/write/do math other
than 5th grade Mexican.
Chemistry other than opium derivates, medicine beyond the Fox News
level,
and engineering other than the Mogadishu navy.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 5, 2009, 3:03:15 PM1/5/09

My husband worked as a manufacturing engineer for a small electronics
fabricator. One Friday they called everybody into a meeting and said
(basically): "The company is closed and you all have been working
for free for the last two weeks. It's been fun."

My husband eventually got a little money out of some organization that
had ponied up some capital for them to locate in a disadvantaged area
of town. He helped shut down the clean room and ensure that all of
the
explodes-on-contact-with-air gases were handled properly.

It wasn't until I was doing the taxes for that year that I discovered
that
their stupid accounting guy had withheld taxes on the 401K
contributions.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary Heston

Jan 5, 2009, 10:00:10 PM1/5/09
In article <dafacb72-e40e-4976...@k36g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,

Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Dec 24 2008, 3:59 pm, Seerialmom <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Definitely scroogelike of the franchise owner; however California is
>> an "at-will" employment state.  The employer has no legal obligation

>> to warn the employee of the intention to close the store. [ ... ]

>My husband worked as a manufacturing engineer for a small electronics
>fabricator. One Friday they called everybody into a meeting and said
>(basically): "The company is closed and you all have been working
>for free for the last two weeks. It's been fun."

[ ... ]

The employees of a local Shoneys' Restaurant showed up one morning
several years ago to open and start cooking breakfast, only to find
the doors locked and a sign on the front door stating "No food or
money on premises". They'd had a crew come in after closing the
previous night and clean the place out; zero notice to the employees.

As a result, I don't patronize Shoneys' or Captain D's (same owners).

>It wasn't until I was doing the taxes for that year that I discovered
>that
>their stupid accounting guy had withheld taxes on the 401K
>contributions.

You're assuming that was a mistake--that was likely intentional, with
the money withheld _not_ going to the IRS. More likely, the owners
pocketed it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Gordon Burditt

Jan 6, 2009, 12:47:49 AM1/6/09
>> >http://consumerist.com/5113170/three-tgifridays-mysteriously-close-no...
>
>Definitely scroogelike of the franchise owner; however California is
>an "at-will" employment state. The employer has no legal obligation
>to warn the employee of the intention to close the store. The article

He does, however, have an obligation to tell the employee that he
*HAS* closed the store. Otherwise he is on the hook for wages.
I suspect that if the employee reports for work, not knowing the
store has closed, even if it's to a locked store with a sign
saying "out of business", he's still entitled to an hour of wages
for that day.

If you're ever in that situation, you need to worry about getting
a final paycheck, and also worry about the stuff that didn't get
put on the final paycheck. Is your health insurance paid? Did the
money allegedly going into your 401K really get there? Did withheld
taxes actually make it to the IRS?

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply

Jan 6, 2009, 2:20:07 AM1/6/09
Gordon Burditt wrote:
> *HAS* closed the store. Otherwise he is on the hook for wages.
> I suspect that if the employee reports for work, not knowing the
> store has closed, even if it's to a locked store with a sign
> saying "out of business", he's still entitled to an hour of wages
> for that day.

California Labor Law states that if you report for work for a full-time
shift and there is no work, you must be paid for four hours of pay; if
you report for part-time work in similar circumstances, you must be paid
for two hours.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 6, 2009, 12:30:41 PM1/6/09
On Jan 5, 10:00 pm, ghes...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:

> >It wasn't until I was doing the taxes for that year that I discovered
> >that
> >their stupid accounting guy had withheld taxes on the 401K
> >contributions.
>
> You're assuming that was a mistake--that was likely intentional, with
> the money withheld _not_ going to the IRS. More likely, the owners
> pocketed it.

Could go either way, actually. It was obvious from the W2s that
they'd
done it wrong; if I could figure it out the IRS certainly could.
Their
CFO was sleazy and a complete moron, so I'm agnostic on whether
it was deliberate or accidental. I do know that a month or three
before
the closing my husband had to say to the CEO: "Put the money back in
the
401K or I'll call the Treasury Department".

Cindy Hamilton