Frugal Mouth wash?

VFW

Jun 8, 2010, 12:40:21 AM6/8/10
What does Mouth Wash really do? and "Tom's" is sure expensive.
any recipes for good DIY mouth wash. I sometimes add it to my Water Pik.
--
Money! What a concept.

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2010, 2:13:43 PM6/8/10
The obvious frugal mouth wash is to not bother with any.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2010, 10:55:53 PM6/8/10
On 06/07/10 21:40, VFW wrote:

> What does Mouth Wash really do? and "Tom's" is sure expensive.
> any recipes for good DIY mouth wash. I sometimes add it to my Water Pik.

It makes your wallet lighter. Aside from that, nothing that brushing your teeth
doesn't do. Listerine contains as much alcohol as cheap Mexican ersatz
'tequila' (which doesn't taste as awful), so you might (or might not) want to
use it after dental work.

--
Cheers, Bev
"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person

Vandy Terre

Jun 9, 2010, 11:53:09 AM6/9/10
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:55:53 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 06/07/10 21:40, VFW wrote:
>
>> What does Mouth Wash really do? and "Tom's" is sure expensive.
>> any recipes for good DIY mouth wash. I sometimes add it to my Water Pik.
>
>It makes your wallet lighter. Aside from that, nothing that brushing your teeth
>doesn't do. Listerine contains as much alcohol as cheap Mexican ersatz
>'tequila' (which doesn't taste as awful), so you might (or might not) want to
>use it after dental work.

Hello, Bev, I disagree with your statement in some ways. I agree that in
general, mouth wash has little real value. The exception being original formula
Listerine. By using the original Listerine daily I make a major cut in sore
gums, colds and upper respiratory tract infections. YMMV.

Shaun

Jun 9, 2010, 4:53:04 PM6/9/10

...or you could buy the Walmart generic equivalent (Equate brand) that
has exactly the same ingredients in the same proportions for around half
the price...

watcher

Jun 9, 2010, 5:33:09 PM6/9/10

Even cheaper are the 1-1.5 liter bottles you can get at some of the "Dollar"
stores. And, some of the supermarket chains(like ShopRite) will occasionally
put their own brand of 1.5 liter bottles on sale for about 1/2 of what the
equivalent product goes for at Wally World. Myself, I only buy the
"Antiseptic" form of mothwash, with at least 21% alcohol, to rinse my mouth
out before I got to bed. This should reduce the bacterial population in my
mouth and give me a fighting chance of stopping gum recession, or so my
dentist tells me. Since we all generate much less saliva when we sleep, the
normal wash-away of bacteria that occurs during the day doesn't happen, so we
might as well start the night off with as few as possible of the little
critters in your mouth.

W.

SMS

Jun 9, 2010, 6:04:42 PM6/9/10
On 07/06/10 9:40 PM, VFW wrote:
> What does Mouth Wash really do? and "Tom's" is sure expensive.
> any recipes for good DIY mouth wash. I sometimes add it to my Water Pik.

If it's a non-Fluoride mouthwash it cleans your mouth but that's about it.

See
"http://www.ultimate-cosmetics.com/beauty/homemade-recipes/mouthwash.htm" for
recipes.

My dentist told me to use one of the fluoride rinse mouthwashes. Tom's
has one (very expensive). Listerine has one. Act has one. We don't have
fluoridated water in my area.

MAS

Jun 9, 2010, 6:41:32 PM6/9/10

Does fluoride make that much of a difference in an adult as opposed to a
child? Thought I read somewhere that adults do not need fluoride....

Marsha

SMS

Jun 9, 2010, 7:25:34 PM6/9/10
On 09/06/10 3:41 PM, MAS wrote:

<snip>

> Does fluoride make that much of a difference in an adult as opposed to a
> child? Thought I read somewhere that adults do not need fluoride....

Well my dentist thought I needed it, and she'd have no reason to tell me
that since the more cavities I get the more money for her.

The Real Bev

Jun 9, 2010, 9:10:42 PM6/9/10

But you may not come back to her next time you get one. OTOH, the 'gift' she
gets from the fluoride-pushing detailer is a current benefit.

ALWAYS ask for samples. Most of the time you'll get some.

--
Cheers, Bev
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The Henchman

Jun 9, 2010, 9:38:23 PM6/9/10

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 06/07/10 21:40, VFW wrote:
>
>> What does Mouth Wash really do? and "Tom's" is sure expensive.
>> any recipes for good DIY mouth wash. I sometimes add it to my Water
>> Pik.
>
> It makes your wallet lighter. Aside from that, nothing that brushing your
> teeth doesn't do. Listerine contains as much alcohol as cheap Mexican
> ersatz 'tequila' (which doesn't taste as awful), so you might (or might
> not) want to use it after dental work.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev

Brushing your teeth does not kill bacteria. It loosens bacteria and other
"bugs" but doesn't kill them.

most mouth washes actually promote bacteria growth because the alcohol in
them dries your mouth out and allows for better growing environment for all
those bacteria.

the best way for your dental hygiene is to brush your teeth, rinse with
mouthwash and then rinse he mouthwash with water and finally chew a stick
of gum after all that to get your natural saliva cleaning your teeth and
mouth.

Lou

Jun 9, 2010, 10:07:59 PM6/9/10

"Shaun" <sh...@sheep2.net> wrote in message

I don't know about mouth wash, but I've had mixed luck with generic brands.
The biggest difference I ever saw was with soluble fertilizer. I like
Miracle Grow for potted plants, it greens them up and gives them a real
boost. One day I was shopping at a big box, and there was a display of
Miracle Grow and the store brand side by side. Same size package, and the
analysis printed on the side of the box was identical for both. The store
brand was less than half the price of the brand name, so I bought it instead
of the name brand.

Turned out that whatever else was identical, the store brand didn't dissolve
in water, at least not completely. After futzing around with it for a few
weeks, I ended up throwing the stuff away and buying the name brand. And
the experience taught me that two things can be identical on some level and
yet not be the same.

Vandy Terre

Jun 9, 2010, 11:01:49 PM6/9/10

I tried 'store brand' products and was not happy with Listerine copies. Using
Listerine slows down how many times a year I need a doctor. It works for me,
may not work for others.

Samantha Hill

Jun 10, 2010, 12:48:31 AM6/10/10
Shaun wrote:

> ...or you could buy the Walmart generic equivalent (Equate brand) that
> has exactly the same ingredients in the same proportions for around half
> the price...

Or use a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution for even less.

watcher

Jun 11, 2010, 8:53:26 PM6/11/10

I used both Listerine and the store brands when my dentist told me I needed to
use the antiseptic mouthwash to prevent plaque build-up and gum recession. As
far as I can tell, after many succeeding checkups, the results were the same
for both. Of course, YMMV.

W.